You added Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami Lakes, Florida
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This location offered a pleasant stay for the weekend, beds were comfortable. Breakfast was decent, poached eggs, sausage patty, toast, waffles, cereal, coffee, danish, oatmeal, juices.

We were extremely satisfied.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and great rating! We are happy to know that we have met your expectations in all aspects during your stay. I would also like to thank you on behalf of the entire staff of our property for considering us when you return to Orlando. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver another stellar experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel is absolutely the dream budget hotel for anyone needing an escape from their daily lives. There is a whirlpool room that I wished I had taken time out of my day to use. The room was very clean and I found all of the amenities I needed, including a refrigerator and a microwave. I like that the hotel was only 4 stories because I hate elevator rides! The location is also good because I was having a girl's night at Citywalk and it's only about a mile away.

The front door says that the doors will be closed after 10pm and will require a card to get back in. When we returned at 3:30 am, the doors were unlocked and there was not anyone present at the front desk.

An altercation with a cab service recommended by a staff member ended with the manager being very rude and short with me. I was told that the general manager would call me, but he did not.

The complimentary breakfast area states that all food must be consumed in the dining area, but we had to wait for a table after getting our food from the buffet for about five minutes, then wait for an extra chair for another few minutes. The food, however, was awesome.

I will not use this hotel again, sadly. The way the manager handled this situation left a bad taste in my mouth. But if you don't have any issues that need to be addressed during your stay then this place is amazing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. You gave such a great review about my property and then I hate to hear what happened in regards to the cab service. We do recommend several companies and it is unfortunate to hear that you had a problem with one of them. I apologize that I was never given any indication to contact you. I can honestly assure you this that I return all phone calls good or bad. If I know which company it was, I would call up the manager and discuss what happened. As for the breakfast area, it does sometimes get busy and we usually do open the meeting room for additional seating. When you return to Orlando, please contact me personally to make your reservation. I definitely would like to make this right. If you would like to discuss this further or have additional feedback, please reach out to me at 407 226-0900.
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked a room (king bed with a sleeper-sofa) here for a 5-night stay for our trip to Universal Orlando.

This hotel is a very short drive from the park. There is also a shuttle that will pick you up in the morning and bring you back at night ... but it only leaves once and comes back once.

There are a lot of dining options local to the hotel. There is an IHOP, KFC, and Taco Bell right in front of the hotel. There are many other within walking distance or a short drive.

There is a decent self-serve breakfast in the morning. It has cereal, oatmeal, waffles, french toast, pastries, fruit, a variety of juices and coffee.

The hotel has a pool (outdoor), indoor whirlpool, and gym. After a long day at the parks it was nice to soak in the whirlpool bath. It also has wifi internet.

The room itself had a comfortable bed, flatscreen television, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker ... the usual. However, I didn't notice an iron/ironing board. The hotel was quiet, for the most part.

One thing to remember: Do NOT order pizza or whatever food service from the flyers found on the floor from under the door. There is a notice at the hotel's front desk that there are all scams that take your credit card info and rob you blind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hello and I appreciate you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. You are correct as our location is adjacent to the entrance of the park. We are a Universal Partnered Hotel and one of the advantages of being a partnered hotel is that we offer a free shuttle every day. Universal owns and operates the shuttle, which currently is scheduled 1 pickup time in the morning and returns once in the evening for guest complimentary transport. The pickup / drop off time changes depending on Universal and the time of year. I agree with you as they should have several times, but unfortunately that is not my decision. I appreciate the write up in regards to local area restaurants, breakfast, and description of my hotel amenities. I would like to add that we now have faster fiber internet and HD channels for premium viewing! You are correct as for the pizza fliers and all the local area hotels are desperately trying to fight them. They are scammers and we have had police officers perform stings to capture all the solicitors, yet they just recruit new people and keep on going. Otherwise again thank you for your stay and we hope that Wingate by Wyndham at Universal will be your only choice if you ever need a place to stay while in Orlando!
Fort Benning, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is our 3rd time in Orlando but the first time staying at Wyndham, i would say it is an average hotel (only 4 storey high) with clean room, free parking and breakfast. The plus point would be the location of the hotel, it is near to Universal Studio whether is driving or walking (about 20 to 30 mins walk). It is also very near to the premium outlet @ international drive and many other nice restaurants. Breakfast could be improved with more varieties and more seatings available. During the two mornings, it was fully packed as believed there is a tour group staying in the hotel. Hence the meeting/conference room was opened with additional chairs however it is not appropriate and comfortable to have our breakfast together with our infant (no highchair available as well). Lastly, the hotel could be improved with warm hospitality from the reception. Eg No greetings was received when we returned on a late evening and the reception just looked at us when we bypass him. May consider to return back if it offered lower price otherwise with the same price we could consider much more similar hotels around same stretch of areas given.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that my staff was not welcoming. On my next front desk meeting, I will be sure to address this and point out your review as an example. As for breakfast, we do sometimes get overwhelmed and utilize the meeting rooms. We did have high chairs, but other guest has taken them. I will order some immediately to place in the breakfast area. If you would like to discuss this further or have additional feedback, please reach out to me. I hope you give us another opportunity to show you how we can change for the better.
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was our first time staying at a Wyndham hotel anywhere. It's tucked back behind Carrabbas and Taco Bell on a horse-shoe road along with a Hampton Inn and another. After getting used the the layout, I realized that the location is great for Universal Studios (across the street) and just a couple of easy miles to the Outlet Mall and Millenia. Parking was easy and plenty. Checking in and out was also very easy. All the staff we encountered were very polite and helpful. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The king bed was soft, but firm. I didn't like the little pillows as my head kept rolling off. What's up with that? Why don't the king beds have king pillows? also, the unimpressive comforter was thin and looked worn. The digital alarm clock on the nightstand had not been adjusted to Daylight Savings time. Glad we didn't need to wake up at any specific time. The free Wi-Fi was a nice bonus we used, but it ran slow sometimes perhaps because so many of us were on it at the same time. The free continental breakfast was fine; it contained the usual fair you expect to see at comparable hotels. We enjoyed the waffle makers and the coffee was good. The instant eggs had no flavor. At certain times, there is a mad rush to the breakfast and you may end up standing or waiting for a table. Don't be in a hurry if you want to eat the breakfast. We didn't try the pool, but I noticed that it is tucked away on the far side of the building where the hallways overlook the pool. There are no "pool view" rooms---only the parking lot or the Hampton Inn. These are some minor criticisms, but overall we would recommend this hotel especially at the rates we paid. It's a fair price for what you get and the great location.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the elevators as the hallways are very long and stretch far in both directions.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and great rating! I understand your some of your minor criticisms and definitely can work on changing for the better. The first one is the pillows and I am fully aware of this. We are purchasing new pillows and upgrading our linens. As for internet, we are upgrading to fiber and this will be completed by month end. I understand and know of the breakfast concerns and over the next few months we will be upgrading our breakfast. I would also like to thank you on behalf of the entire staff of our property for considering us when you return to Orlando. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver another stellar experience.

Been to Wingate by Wyndham @ Universal Studios & Convention Center? Share your experiences!