“A Decent, Basic Place to Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Rosen Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6327 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819   |
Ranked #109 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
miami
“A Decent, Basic Place to Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

Living in Florida, we do not spend a great deal of time at theme parks in Orlando. We had a last minute, one night's stay in Orlando in September 2006 that was not theme park related and so I looked online at the last minute to find a clean and safe place to spend a night.

Utilizing the trip reviews on this site, I learned there were 2 Rodeway Inns in the location we needed and that most Trip Advisor readers said this International Blvd location was the better of the two Rodeway properties.

Within half an hour of getting into our car to drive to Orlando, I read the reviews on this site and did a quick check of the rates. Rodeway is a mid-level motel and the rates quoted on a few sites were within the range of $40-$50 dollars a night. This is about an average rate for which I would expect a clean but by no means luxurious motel.

We arrived in the early evening and found the Rodeway just off the Florida Turnpike/ I-4. It is a high rise property overlooking the highway. The lobby area was busy with tourists and children milling about. There is a little game room area with video games and a convenience mart adjoining the main lobby. There were ATMs and a few computer terminals that appeared to offer pay-to-play internet access as well.

The advertisements in the lobby promoted an all you can eat breakfast buffet with a note that "kids eat free" at the bottom. We did not visit the buffet but this may be an option for families with kids. Our check in was simple and the rate advertised on the net ($42+ taxes) was honored at the desk. I had read online of some bait and switch scams at hotels in the area but we booked direct with the Rodeway website and had a confirmation e-mail in hand at check in.

Our room was 509 on the 5th floor and overlooked the highway. Road noise was minimal. The room was furnished with 2 double beds as advertised, was non-smoking as requested, and was entirely adequate to my expectations. There was a color TV with plenty of channels, a small table and chairs, a mini fridge for our drinks and snacks, a small microwave oven, and a coffepot by the bathroom sink with 2 free packets of coffee and sugar for the next morning. We stopped at a Walgreens and bought fruit, coffee cream and a few snacks for the drive and the morning "wake up" and everything fit into the clean little fridge nicely.

We found the bathroom area small but adequate. The sink and vanity mirror and opened closet bar make up the front door area as in most motels. There is very little in terms of bathroom counter space. There were 4 clean bath sized towels and a few small wash cloths provided, 2 tiny bars of soap and a single bottle of all purpose shampoo/rinse product we did not use.

This is all "bare minimum stuff" in terms of economy hotels. The room itself was simple and clean. There was a metal "safe" bolted to the wall that was little more than a metal capsule of some 18 inches width by about 4 inches depth with a key lock. We did leave a few things in the safe that evening but there is a notice inside that the hotel presumes no liability for items left in there. I have stayed in places with a computerized safe that allows you to key in a secret code to lock up valuables - this was just a key lock one could assume SOMEONE has a pass key to... but we had no unpleasant surprises with the things we locked inside during the stay.

The enclosed toilet and shower area are indeed small and provide adequate area for a single person to wash and go back to the open vanity to dry and get dressed. I would say the bathing area was not entirely spotless, but it did not feel unsafe - just not new and fresh. I am not complaining nor singing praises - it was worn and a little dingy/run down feeling but not unsanitary.

The bed sheets were white and clean and the entire experience from check in to check out the next morning was completely uneventful. The hotel would be acceptable for a one or two night's stay if you are looking for a location near Universal that is within walking distance to the International Blvd. area. If you are visiting for a longer stretch and want a clean safe place that seems to have a few extras for children, this would probably be fine if you are not looking for luxuries.

• Stayed September 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Redditch, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

We stayed at the Rodeway between the 3rd & 17th September and having read some of the reviews on this site were initially wondering what we had booked... however, and the reason I have written this, as I normally don't bother with writting reviews, we had no issues during our stay and although we wouldn't rush back, we would have no issues with staying here again.

We had a room on the second floor overlooking the pool, the room was always clean and although the bathroom was a little tired and small it did what you would expect a bathroom to do - the shower was actually quite good. I would have to agree with the slight odour that the communal areas had.. we never could pin point what we though it was, but it was in no way over powering and it didn't really bother us - i only mention it because others have made such a big point of it.

We had no issues with the staff and found them very helpful whenever we had a query or wanted anything. Occasionally you would hear nosie from other residents but then can you show me a hotel with sound proof rooms? the beds were so comfortable + a long day in the parks (which were all easy to get to) that we had no problems sleeping anyway.

As a tip the 'activities' desk wanted $14 return to get to the disney parks, if you catch the number 8 links bus from just outside (not the i-ride) and ask for a transfer on paying (this is free), you can then transfer, by Seaworld, to the number 50 and get dropped at the Disnet transport center where you can catch free transport to any disney park - the cost for this $1.50 each way ($3 return).

All in all the Rodeway is what I would expect for this price range, if you want 5 star then dig a bit deeper in to your pocket - if you want something that is clean, functional and a great hub for orlando activities then we found the Rodeway to be fine.

• Liked — Location, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — No balcony, small bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Pizza at Cici's is cheap and tasty
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
US-PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

I made the reservation with the hotel over the phone. We got a non smoking room with a AAA discount for approx. $44-49 per night. This price was a great deal for us. The hotel was easy to find, the staff at the check in-out counter was very nice. Took care of a package I received over-nighted. The breakfast buffet was a good bargain as well because the kids ate free per adult meal at $5.50. There is a Ponderosa right across the road a little cheaper for $3.99 per person including kids. I found that the hotel had for the most part the same items available & I didn’t have to wait in a line at the buffet counter. Our room was clean & plenty big enough for 2 adults & 2 children (9 & 6). It came with a microwave & refrigerator. The bathroom area could’ve been a little bigger & maybe updated, but it was clean. The only problem we had was with the towels. Immediately after they became wet they had a very strong odor similar to cigarette smoke. NASTY. I asked for the towels to be replaced by the time we came back from dinner & they were. Next morning, we showered same thing. We think perhaps the cleaning chemicals used to launder them was the problem. From there on we just used our swim towels (we weren’t using the pool) for showering & the 2 from home I had brought along. We didn’t use the maid service as we were there only 4 nights & were not using the towels. We didn’t use the pool but had a nice view, it appeared very clean. We didn’t notice any noise from surrounding rooms or guests in the hallway at all. Our destination for the part of the trip was Universal & it was up the road literally 2 minutes.

If you are looking for a bargain hotel, will not be spending a lot of time in your room this was a deal. If you like something a little more upscale, then you might want to pass on this one.

• Stayed August 2006
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

This hotel is very close to everything! Upon my arrival, I was put in the adjacent building which is only half the size of the larger hotel. I got to my room, but decided to ask if I could get another room in the larger building, on the outside so I could take some good photographs of the area. They accomodated me with no problem and were very friendly.
For the price I paid ($49/night) I have to say the room was EXTREMELY clean! (If you ever want to know how clean a room really is....take off your shoes and walk around on the carpet. If the bottoms of your feet are BLACK....pack your bags! )
Everything in my room worked fine......the A/C worked great, the microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker were also working and clean. There is a great view from the room but the doors to the balconys have been permanently shut so there is no open air in the room.
They have a buffet style restaurant in the hotel, a game room, a nice outdoor pool, and a little snack shop for those late night "snack attacks".
The decor I found to be very nice and the service people were very friendly and accomodating. It is only about 2 blocks from Wet 'N Wild, and there is a small thrill ride park right up the street. They have a ride called the "Slingshot" and a little race car track and some smaller rides for the kids. There are tons of places to eat just across the street as well as all along that area. Beware of Lobster Feast across the street......it will cost you $37 per person PLUS a gratuity they tack on. Not worth it in my book by any means. Their buffet is tiny and not much to choose from.

• Liked — That it was clean and they allowed me to change rooms.
  • Disliked — That the balcony doors didn't open but I can understand why (hurricanes).
  • Tips/Secrets — The refrigerator works well......you can store food in it or leftovers from eating out plus reheat it in the microwave.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

This was our 1st ever holiday abroad but what a disappointment. I expected the hotel to be basic, but I thought it would be at least clean. How wrong I was.

We where in the annex separate from the main hotel.
The bathroom was disgusting. There was a horrible brown stain on the floor which was there throughout our stay. Human hair in the plug hole, pubic hairs everywhere.

There was some offending substance attached to the bathroom door frame, yuck!!! Even typing this makes me feel ill.
The room was covered in dog hair, and was never properly cleaned throughout our stay, the beds weren't changed at all while we where there.

The whole room including the pillows stank of stale smoke and because of the way the ventilation in the bathrooms was set up if someone in another room lit up you got the smoke coming straight in through the bathroom vent.

The drawers where so dirty inside and out that we lived out of our suitcases for the fortnight.

On our 1st day we went down to the pool it was very deep, no good for small children and the tiles where slimy so must have been in need of a good clean. My son took an eye infection after one visit to the pool, this may have been coincidence but I'm not so sure.

Our keys never worked properly and on one occasion my hubby had to go to reception as he couldn't get in at all and they tried to make out he must have been drinking and tried to belittle him!!! Just one problem with that theory, he doesn't drink and yes they where faulty keys and they had to replace them!

It was also noisy at night, there seemed to be a lot of student types staying here and lots of door banging all night.
I know it is a budget hotel, but when you are spending thousands to go to Orlando from the UK the least you should get is a clean comfortable room. I am going back again next year but not to the Rodeway and am worried the same thing may happen again.

I get the impression that these hotels are living off the back of Mickey and Co and aren't too worried as they know (at least they think they do) that they are going to have people coming to stay with them no matter what these reviews and others say, but some day the tourist is going to get wise and these hotels will have to sit up and take notice and do something about their grotty rooms as the standard now really isn't acceptable.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything it was disgusting
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't book here
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

This hotel is okay for people who smoke or have pets with them but i would not recommend it for people who are non smokers as the rooms smelled very strongly of smoke for our entire stay there. Even our clothes smelled when we took them out of the drawers and none of us smoke.
Also it was a pet friendly hotel which is not good for people with asthma or allergies to animals.
If they could make some rooms none smoking and not allow pets then i would recommened it as a good place to stay but as long as it allows pets and stinks of smoke i personally wont be back

Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2006

First of they did not have my room ready at 3 pm(check in time), they made me and some other people wait about a half hour to get our keys and tell us the room was not ready, that house cleaning services were working on it. Some lady asked what we were supposed to do with the keys if the rooms were not ready and the clerk answered that it was not the hotels problem. I made my reservation online and requested a non-smoking room. We finally got our keys, left our stuff in the room and headed out to se Orlando, got back at around 10:30pm and noticed the strong odor, it was a smoking room and we had not noticed until we got back(everybody is getting back to the hotel, more smokers and more intense smoke odor). I called the front desk and they told me they were full and could not do anything for me. My wife suffers from asma and alergies and can't stand the smell of cigars so we requested to speak to the supervisor, who also told us there was nothing to be done. We had to go out at 12am to find another hotel. Ended up staying at the Best Western infront of Wet and Wild and it was super in comparison with the Rodeway Inn International (FL008). The next day after a long arguement with the manager we got our money back, but it was hell to have to deal with the hotel employes. I would really recoment to find another place to stay if heading out to Orlando. The only plus it has is that it accepts animals, which on the other hand tells you how dirty it is.

Been to Rosen Inn? Share your experiences!