“Great Hotel. Friendly Staff. Would stay here again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7299 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32819-8353 (Florida Center)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #143 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Orlando, Florida
“Great Hotel. Friendly Staff. Would stay here again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean. The covering by the pool the best. When it rained we were still able to enjoy being by the pool. What an awesome addition. This hotel is excellent.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Everything went fine in my stay, my only complaints were that the toilet didn´t flush sometimes and one lightbulb didnt work after the 2nd day there. I told them about this problems, they supposedly sent someone, but the problem continued. The computers in the business center block a lot of programs, like facebook, twitter and messenger, and you can´t use skype there, which was an inconvenience for me. The hotel restaurant has weird hours, doesn´t open for lunch time, the food is expensive but good.

Very important: the rooms were always cleaned properly, the beds were very comfortable. The location is very nice and safe, very close to International Drive and the i ride trolley, which makes it special for tourists. The hotel staff was great, always greeting us and available for questions. Overall, a nice stay for the price, I recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We had a great time. This Best Western was centrally located to several attractions so we never had far to go. I was able to play tennis right on property and then relax by the pool with my daughter.........

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
GMatBWOrlandoGateway, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to get some "quality" time in with your daughter while playing tennis on our court.

Enjoy the summer and we hope to see you soon!

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

We stayed at this place only for a few days, but it was so nice that we extended our stay for two more days. It is across the street from Wet 'n Wild water park. And one could even walk to Universal Studios right across the bridge. And restaurants and stores are in walking distance as well. Even so, it was exceptionally quiet and peaceful. The staff was very accommodating when we extended our stay and matched the price we payed online. The pool is wonderful and there is also a restaurant on site. We will be back and bring family the next time when we go to the parks.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy all of our facilities and that you enjoyed a little "peace and quiet' in the busy I-Drive corridor.

We look forward to seeing you in the future!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

We have just returned from spending two weeks at the Best Western Hotel (6th-20th May 2010) and my review is a bit of a mixed bag really. On the whole I am disappointed with the service we received but I think that it is mainly to do with the fact that the hotel promises more than it gives - if it was more modest in stating what it offered and also priced itself to reflect its short comings then I would probably have been more happy.
That is not to say that if you have booked to stay here you will be in for a bad stay so I would urge anyone with concerns to rest easy because aside from a few short comings you could do a lot worse than here.
Here is a list of the "bad" things we experienced at the hotel:

No Do Not Disturb sign available for first few days of stay
One day our towels were taken and not replaced by the housekeepers
Frequently no answer at reception
No Hot water first thing in the morning
the TV powered out (this was fixed by the time we got back to our room)
lift broke down (in the hotels defence this was however fixed the same day)
Pestered by person at info desk about a timeshare
Bottled water left in room with a charge of $2.95+tax if you chose to have
Cleaning staff went through our paperwork
Business Centre internet access never worked properly with popular sites such as facebook being blocked
Fire safety on back of the room doors not updated since previous Clarion owners in 2005
Not informed of free paper available to collect at front desk
TV came on randomly by itself, one time at 5am in the morning and woke us up
Staff unhelpful and generally unfriendly
Air Con didnt seem to get very cold with the room at times still feeling quite warm
On our last day there was no water at all coming out of the taps after mid morning and by the time we returned at around 6pm we turned to taps on only to be sprayed with black water. I am not sure if this was resolved as it was the day we left

So there were a few issues, some of which caused unnecessary bother i.e no towels, tv coming on, black water etc.. but I will defend the hotel by saying that these are hiccups that can occur at any time, the reason I am probably being over harsh with the Best Western is that it claims to be something it isn't as does its price (which I must warn people beware of the extra $3.50 per night charges that might not have been included in your holiday package) I have had much better stays at cheaper hotels on international drive where I haven't incurred anywhere near as many problems big or small and that would be the main reason I would not and in fact have not recommended this to my friends and family who will be visiting Florida. Because problems happen but if you can minimise the risk of incurring them by staying somewhere else it just takes less stress out of your much needed holiday. After all we all go away to escape these things.
The issue around the housekeepers going through the paperwork was perhaps the most worrying, but you have an in room safe so like I would urge anyone too anyway just keep any valuables safely locked up. I was aware that my paperwork had been routed through when my list of discrepancies with the hotel that I had made to email back to the office was found on top of everything else when I had consciously made an effort to keep this from view. Not a major problem as I am stating them all here now but obviously not very professional of the housekeeping staff to do this.
Also you will find pizza menus are posted under your door almost every night, I would urge people not to order from these companies as they are very often scams that can end up leaving you out of pocket with empty tummys! the hotel do make mention of this on their allocated tv channel and leaflet they will give you but just as a heads up.

The good points about this hotel include its superb location for Wet n Wild and Universal Studios. You are no more than a five minute walk away from Wet n Wild which is a fantastic park to visit and we walked to Universal every time we went as it is such an easy and quick route. Other good points include the fact it is based on Universal Boulevard which means it is better for all of you who will be seeking somewhere quiet to retreat to. The swimming pool is adequate and the option of two hot tubs ranging in temperatures was a nice extra if you can get to use them.
You are situated right near the Green Line I-Ride stop, which although is not as regular as the Red Line (every 30 mins instead of 20) this offers a much more direct route to Sea World and the stop you need for Disney.
The shop downstairs offers a nice, although limited, selection of pizzas and subs/sandwiches if you do not wish to go out. A large cheese pizza will set you back about $16 (including tax) and a sub around $8. The general stock of the store in terms of other snacks and drinks is however in my opinion poor and overpriced and I would suggest that you go to Walgreens (opposite Wet n Wild) for a much wider and cheaper selection. Also Pizza Hut do some great deals for take out so if you can manage the 10-15 walk onto I-Drive to get to Pizza Hut then again I would choose this over the hotel options.
If you do need to purchase a drink from the hotel then the vending machines are cheaper than the store so I would suggest purchasing from one of these ($2 a bottle)
The on-site restaurant offered, in my opinion, an excellent standard of food and the two times we dined there we were very satisfied with the service and the food.
In summary if I was told the only way I would get to go back to Florida would be to stay here again I wouldn't be that upset at having to do so and as I said before if anyone is booked to stay here I am almost certain you will have a good stay, but if your looking for somewhere to stay and haven't booked yet I think you can get somewhere better than this for your money and you will probably save yourself a few dollars on the way.
What would I do to improve this place...I would probably suggest tighter security, for example the fact that the scam pizza menus are able to be delivered late into the night says to me that a review of how they allow individuals into the hotel complex may need to be reviewed as it is their responsibility to ensure guest safety as much as possible. A more wider range of products at the store on-site. Faster Internet Connection and just generally a more tighter grip on ensuring friendliness to guests and taking care of the finer details, like the fire information on the backs of the doors, ensuring your guests know what they are entitled to, I think by improving on just a few small points this place could definitely be seen to be deserving of the image they portray.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

While I am happy that you seem to have overall enjoyed your stay with us I am concerned that there were more than a few issues during your stay.

As you mentioned, we did have a boiler go down during your stay and I certainly appreceiate your understanding of that uncontrollable issue and stating that in your review it was repaired the same day.

You mentioned that one of our housekeepers wnet through your papers and I certainly hope that was not the case and that they simply moved them while they were cleaning the room. I would like to discuss this with you in more detail if possible and I will attmept to contact you directly via e-mail.

I will make sure that our staff reviews your critique of our hotel and that we take each item individually and see where we can improve on both our product and service. You are right, there are many options to choose from when visiting Orlando and we strive to make sure each guest enjoys a troublefree and relaxing stay while on vacation.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel and we certainly hope that we get the opportunity of seeing you again in the future.

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights in early May. We were able to get this for £36 a night on expedia. Bargain. For that price, we expected a "motel" style place with external walkways, typical for Orlando, however this is a hotel. You definitely feel more secure, as everyone must pass the front desk. The lobby area is really nice. The location is great. It's a bit more peaceful than i-drive, but everything is still close by. You can walk to universal in around 20 minutes. We tended to get a cab back ($8) as it was hotter on the return trip. The room was modern, it seemed recently refurbished. Big flat screen tv, 2 queen beds, an frigde and microwave. The only slight let down was the bathroom, it didn't seem up to the standard of the room, there were a few rusty marks and it was a bit shabby, but it was definitely clean. No problems parking, plenty of space. The pool stays open late - there didn't seem to be any fixed hours. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, especially at the price I paid!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

This hotel is perfect if your on a tight budget and you don't want to spend much time at the hotel as there is so much to do in Orlando. The reception is nice and cool which is what you need when you have been walking outside (its very hot)! The rooms are spacious with 2 double beds and a flat screen tv. There is a fridge/freezer and a microwave which came in handy! also an iron and ironing board. There is a shop downstairs if you need anything. The pool is lovely, i didn't get a chance to see what the hot tubs were like as we were too busy being out all day. I would recommend this hotel for people who just need somewhere to sleep and who are on a budget. It is a few minutes walk from International drive and there is an iride on the same road as this hotel.

*the internet is downstairs in the reception area only for wireless.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!