“I had bites all over me minutes after laying in bed!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7299 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32819-8353 (Florida Center)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #142 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
“I had bites all over me minutes after laying in bed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We saw the website and thought it would be a nice place to stay by the pictures they show. The downstairs front lobby looked decent so walking in we felt it would be ok. When we arrived to the 7th floor there was an odor and in front of our room was some type of thermostat hanging from the wall. Had a sceevy feel about it. When we entered the room there was a funky odor. The bathroom was filthy and underneath the sink in the hallway is a hole in the wall. I was nervous of bugs or rats getting through. The beds were small and smelled bad. After a minute of laying down in the bed we were itching very bad. It felt like fleas were jumping on me from under the covers.My back was covered in bites and I was unable to sleep because I was itching so bad. The other 2 people i was with experienced the same. Thank God we only stayed for one night because I would have never spent a second one. I would advise they condemn this building and they should be ashamed to show thos pictures on the website. It is very misleading.i felt dirty in that bed and was being bit by something.

Room Tip: Nothing good to say
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bill J, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Lyndsey K,

I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, however, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. I reviewed all of our logs and do not see where you made mention of these items at all after you checked in or during check-out. I sincerely apologize that you had this experience but had we been given the opportunity to remedy the situation we certainly would have. If you would please contact me personally, I would love to speak with you regarding the incident and get some specifics.

Our goal is to provide all of our guest with clean, comfortable, quality accommodations at affordable prices. Our location and our product are ideally suited for guests who come to Orlando to enjoy all that there is to do in our area.

Again, I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay and hope to hear from you soon.

Bill Jones, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Good - free parking - free internet - free shuttle to Universal studios Bad - there are rooms with the smell of cigarette smoke, just ask for another one - If resort fee is mandatory, why don't you just include it into the price of hotel? It seems disingenuous to not do it. - rooms are worn and dated and just makes the place feel dirty. - no clock radios in room... why?? - you need to have automated wake up call because someone did not put in my wake up call. - exercise room needs bottled water. the water fountain seems like it has not been used for yrs and again it is dated. - no free breakfast. 1st best western i've gone to that charges for it.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Ray S.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay fully but appreciate the kind comments you made regarding our services. We do have clock radios with MP3 players in each room as well as an automated service for providing wake-up calls. The $3.50 resort fee is for use of the fitness center, parking, tennis and basketball courts and daily newspaper delivery.

We do have bottled water in the rooms for guests to purchase as well as in our Deli. The water fountain in the fitness center is a convenience for guests who are working out and did not bring water with them.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that in the future we will be able to host you again.

San Jose, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This hotel had my main requirements for business travel; clean room, comfortable beds, good shower, functioning TV with adequate channel selections, and a Business Center to print out my boarding pass. Pluses: Very good Fitness Center, and a good, easy to use internet connection. Negatives: the breakfast in the restaurant was sub-par. I had eggs, bacon, and sausage. The sausage was under cooked and uneatable, the bacon I had to sop off the grease with paper napkins in order to eat those. The carpet in the room needs to be replaced; it was clean, but buckled. A minor issue was the printer in the Biz Center did not function, because the toner cartridge need to be replaced. BTW - the staff were very nice, proficient, and helpful; 5*.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Craig L.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Orlando for the PGA Merchandise show. I appreciate your comments and the fact that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your feedback regarding our staff to them as well, I know they appreciate all of the great comments they receive from our guests.

I apologize that the breakfast was not what you expected and I will pass your comments on to our Director of Food and Beverage. Feel free to request omelets, special eggs, etc., from our cooks behind the line they will be happy to make them to your order.

Again, thank you for your comments regarding our property and staff and we look forward to seeing you at next years event!

new london ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Has great shuttle service to parks has two hot tubs one at 100 degrees and one warmer nice pool heated but not heated enough that you could actually use it in cooler weather. Very few rooms with king beds so you wont get onote of these ? Beds are not real comfortable. The radisson international had one of the most comfortable beds. The internet is just okay
. sometimes it would get weak and my tablet would switch back to my data plan , so you need to be careful if you are streaming. Business center computers have problems heard lots of people complaining about this. There is a basketball court. Air conditioning worked good ..The ladies that took care of rooms did pretty good job. For some reason the three days we booked at this location were busy in this area not sure why.. maybe because of special event at universal with the wizardly world..the embassy was completely booked. So this would not have been my pick, it was okay also resort fees extra

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mrscathyann,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us during your recent trip to Orlando. I appreciate that you found the rooms to be clean and that you enjoyed our location, staff and shuttle service. I will pass all those comments on to our staff!

Once again, thank you for your review, we appreciate your business and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Just stayed here for two nights for my daughter's bachelorette event. I rented three rooms for two nights and all the rooms were great! The rooms were clean and in good repair. The hotel is only a 1 mile drive to Universal yet the hotel is not on the strip with all the traffic and noise. Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful. If I ever come back to the Orlando theme park area I will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bill J, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear sdg66,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel during your recent trip to the Orlando attractions area. I appreciate that you had a great time, found the rooms clean and comfortable and that our staff provided you with great customer service. We pride ourselves in providing clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations to all of our guests!

I certainly hope to see you again in the near future and please tell your daughter that we here at the Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel congratulate her on her new marriage and we wish her and her husband many happy years together.

Ocean City, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Monte had the unfortunate luck of being dealt a bad hand after purchasing a "hidden" name hotel from Hotwire earlier this week. Monte is stil not sure where the 85% recommend rating came from! This establishment is in dire need of a meet with a wrecking ball! Monte did not feel safe, nor clean whilst staying at the BW. What is most confusing is the fact a "resort" fee is charged, as this is far from being a resort. The patrons are a bizarre mix of families, to business people to hoodlums. Vexing indeed!
Unfortunately, Monte did fall for the "deal" and paid the price for it. The location is spot on, close to many attractions and restaurants and the I4 is a quick drive. Monte would advise others to be careful and not to venture out after 6, otherwise a parking spot is almost impossible to find and will surely be a hike away. Best to be armed if travelling here say I. And queen beds? Monte would say they are closer to a double, and that may be generous.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Monte,

Thank you for taking your time to complete a review of our hotel during your last visit to Orlando. I want to apologize that the stay was not what you expected. We pride ourselves in offering clean, comfortable and quality accommodations to all of our guests while providing quality customer service.

We are in Orlando, certainly one of the busiest tourist destinations in the world and we have a melting pot of guests. That is what makes the hospitality industry so exciting! We are right in the middle of all the Orlando attractions and safety is definitely a priority for us at all times.

I would appreciate the opportunity of inviting you back to our property and providing you with a more pleasurable experience in the future. Please call me directly and I will be happy to make all of the arrangements.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed 4 days in January 2014. Front desk very polite. Hotel is close to so many restaurants and attractions. The hotel is pretty dated, but clean. Definately needs some updating, but overall a good place to stay. Too cold for the pool,but hot tub was nice. Would stay again. The ticket booth was a "time share sell" and the restaurant was expensive. The little store was very convenient.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bill J, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear travelgals1234,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location convenient. Our location is excellent for doing all that there is to do in Orlando. I appreciate your comments regarding the staff and want you to know that we are in the process of renovating our property to remove the "dated" stigma we do get.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future and hope that you travel back to Orlando soon.

Bill Jones, CHA

Been to BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!