“Great hotel with spectacular views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort

You added Disney's Polynesian Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #115 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Baton Rouge, LA
“Great hotel with spectacular views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

After staying in the Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom hotels, we decided to give the Polynesian a try. We were definitely not disappointed! The hotel rooms are very spacious, and the overall property is really a sight to see. Granted, the place is huge, so just walking from the lobby to the room can be quite a hike in itself. I must admit the layout can be rather confusing at first, and some areas could stand a bit more light in the walkways, but that might be intentional to add to the "ambience". Our room had an awesome view of the lake as well as Magic Kingdom. Though I would definitely recommend seeing the fireworks in person, there were quite a sight from our balcony. The room was typical Disney - spotless, updated, and very comfortable though we only received two "towel critters" during our week stay. (No one gets too old for those little guys!) The only negative was that the toilet and shower/bath are in the same area as the vanity. Personally, we like the vanity alone, with the toilet and bath in a separate area. Granted, the Floridian and Wilderness Lodge are the only hotels that have offered us that advantage, among the places we have stayed so far. The lobby of the hotel is something to see, and the hotel offers some great restaurants. Lastly, of course the monorail is one of the best reasons to stay at this hotel. For us, however, it was undergoing maintenance while we were there, so it was only available during peak times. (I do wish Disney had informed us of that while booking the hotel, but they did give us a little money back when we complained after experiencing travel inconveniences after arrival due to the maintenance.) Overall, it is a great place to stay, but I would be sure the monorail is fully functional before making reservations as the price definitely reflects the convenience of the monorail.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Tampa, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed here for a night last weekend. We were aware of the construction that was ongoing but it really was even worse than expected. Currently, the resort is a shell of its former self. Half of the grounds are walled off, the main pool is closed and the lobby is a mess. The sounds of jackhammers and overall construction is unavoidable. What gets me is that Disney continues to charge the same astronomical rates during the overhaul. They should have just closed the resort down until construction was completed. No doubt the resort is going to be great once the renovations are complete but until then, I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: During construction, there is no good room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I love this place!! I love the theming but the only downfall is that they didnt have a hot tub.
The grounds are beautiful. I love to eat at Ohana and Kona for lunch or breakfast.
We usually rent boats and drive around Bay Lake. The monorail access to the TTC makes this a perfect place for families with small children because of the convienence.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

great place unlike anywhere else in Disney, I love this hotel I stayed here when I was 7 and was able to bring my wife and kid here. the standards are the same very well kept lots of bonuses staying here from the fire works and light shows to the monorail or ferry every part of the hotel and area are great will come back again.

Room Tip: Resort veiw is worth the money tired kids can watch shows from the room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We booked the Poly back in February for our July trip. We knew nothing of the upcoming construction at the time. This was our first trip to DW and we wanted a resort that was nice and would make travel to the parks less hassle. We were willing to pay more for this. When we first arrived, a cast member greeted us and took us to the front desk. No waiting around at all, which was nice. The atmosphere was pretty underwhelming because of construction. No big "wow, I'm walking in to a Polynesian paradise" type feeling--just walls everywhere. We requested Samoa volcano pool side and were given a room in Aotearoa. They were able to move us to Samoa the next day. Our room was nice. Spacious bathroom with double sinks. Large room with 2 queen beds. My only complaint about the room is that we were on first floor at the very end by the exit. This area is tile, not carpet, so when people wheel their suitcases by at 5:30am, it woke me up every time. It was so loud! On the positive side, my sons enjoyed roasting marshmallows and watching movies on the beach.

As for easy travel, it was not worth paying more for "ease" of traveling to and from parks. It WAS an easy trip to Magic Kingdom. But to anywhere else, you need to allot an hour of time for travel (if you include wait time + travel time). And you cannot walk to the transportation and ticketing center from the Polynesian because of construction. It could just be that I was a newbie, but I was not expecting all this travel hassle.

We ate at the Contemporary a couple of times, and I was disappointed we hadn't stayed there. The lobby is so grand. So much nicer. The quick service restaurant was MUCH nicer than Captain Cook's. I'm sure all of this is because of construction and that Poly will be amazing after construction. Just not now. But they still charge the same amount! Seems they should charge less while construction is going on (and now even the Volcano pool is closed)! For now, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
Ringwood, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We love Disney and have been many many times. Last year we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge @ Concierge Level and the year before same level at Yacht Club. We usually stay at Wilderness Lodge because my teens have their own bed due to the bunk beds. So when I booked this hotel with Disney I was promised we would have 2 Queen beds and a bed/pull out. But when we checked in I got the we can't promise/guarantee this..I thought ok here we go and I mentioned we could have stayed at another hotel. The did work it out for us but it was a bit of stress. Also when I booked in March, I was told the pool might be under renovation. We said fine and booked. When we arrived, OMG, the whole lobby was boarded up and the whole thing was under renovation.. not the pool. When I mentioned this the check in person gave me a blank stare and said "oh, I'm sorry." WHAT! So the room was fairly big, we had a sofa for my son, the grounds are beautiful. From this hotel yo take a bus to Hollywood and Animal Kingdom, he Monorail to MK and Monorail to transportation center to another monorail to EPCOT. We had best at Mk one morning at 8. Part of the reason we stayed here was to tai the monorail to MK. That is why this hotel is more pricy. We got phone call saying the mono rail was under repair and had limited hours and would not be running in time for us to make our best reservations. We called the front dest 3 times… yes 3 times and got 3 different answers until someone finally mentioned we could take the boat right across the lake to MK. The other option was the bkfst bus and they cold tell us if it was direct or how many hotels we would make stops at. My teens don't want to wake up and extra hour early to ride a bus for a possible hour when we were staying not he monorail and its a maybe 10 minute ride. It was ridiculous. We did take the boat. The run frequently. The bus situation was the same as we had run into at other hotels… not consistent and slow. And after the Frozen fireworks at Hollywood it took 1.5 hours to get back to the hotel. We watched 3 All Star busses go by while at our bus stop which is shared with Grand Florian and Contemporary we waited only 1 came. Again, I'm not sure why we are paying the premium. It is something to consider when booking. On our last day, we booked late flights because we war told we could shower at the hotel. Well, it was thundering and they closed the pool so we no longer had access to the showers. Honestly we had to ask about 3 people. I had to ask the lifeguard station to call the from desk for us so we would not have to go to front desk in our suits and towels. They sent us there anyhow and told us to ask for Jim and that he know we were on our way. Well, we stood in the lobby for about 15 minutes in our suits while people were going in for dinner and asked 2 front desk people for Jim. They did give us a room key but we never saw Jim. I don't' think we will be back at this Disney hotel. I think the main pool was packed and a little small for the level of hotel and for it being a Disney hotel. There is a large slide there that the kids seemed to enjoy. My daughter and I went to the 2nd pool which was empty and quiet. We just didn't feel the service was a friendly as other hotels and it was not worth the extra cost. Plus the whole lobby was under renovation which we had not been informed prior to arrival.

Room Tip: There are buildings on the property. Our building was far from the laundry but closer to the water...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

During my first ever visit to Disney World, my family and I stayed here. IT WAS AMAZING!!

The rooms were comfortable and clean, the pool is awesome, and the hotel itself is GORGEOUS! The restaurants- Ohana and the Kona Café- are delicious; I definitely recommend eating at both of them!

The Polynesian is truly an exceptional resort, and I would be delighted to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!