“A Wonderful Stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Polynesian Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #107 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
New York City, New York
“A Wonderful Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here in October 2013, before construction really got into full swing. We stayed on the third floor of the Rarotonga building, which was great - we were close to the Great Ceremonial House for food/Magic Kingdom monorail and it was a short walk to the Transportation & Ticket Center, which was GREAT for catching the monorail direct to Epcot, where we spent a lot of time. The grounds are beautiful and although nothing can really compare to the real Polynesian islands, Disney did a great job with the atmosphere - the music and tiki torches add to the experience, so walking around can actually be somewhat romantic, aside from any screaming children!

The room was much bigger than I thought it would be - we had a king bed which was surprisingly very comfortable, along with a chair, ottoman and a large couch. The bathroom was fine (great water pressure) and had plenty of room for the two of us. We also had a little lanai, which was nice to sit outside and relax after a full day at Disney, although it could get a little loud (we live in Manhattan, so the noise didn't bother us). The furniture was in good shape and bedding looked new, so happy on all those counts - there was more than enough closet and storage space, but again, only two of us, so we didn't really need that much.

Captain Cook's was a great quick-service option for us in the morning, although we're not big breakfast people. We stopped there at night a few times and it was very quick, plus they have Dole Whip! I also must say I ordered the kids meal (and I am 29) and no one gave me any trouble (everyone we encountered was very sweet and friendly!).

I do wish they'd provide a little more signage, however - the sign for our building was blocked by foliage so we were kind of wandering around for 10 minutes, not sure where to go. The elevators were also rather dingy and need an update, as do the elevator waiting areas - they just looked rather dirty and unwashed. Hopefully this is being addressed in the renovations.

The main drawback is that the hotel is obviously very expensive. We were staying at the cast member rate, due to a family member being a Disney employee, so the price wasn't bad at all. My parents stayed here with my brother and I often as children, and say the monorail access/Transportation & Ticket Center access is unbeatable with small children in strollers. it's very easy to get back to the hotel from the Magic Kingdom and Epcot parks, so you can take a midday break, which is essential in the summer heat. You're paying for location, location, location, as well as Disney history, so if that is important to you, you won't be disappointed! I consider this hotel more fun than the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary - the theme is kitschy, yes, but it's so Disney and you just enjoy it.

I love the atmosphere at this hotel, and won't hesitate to stay again, although I'm sad they removed the water fountain feature in the center of the lobby. I know construction has gotten more intense after we left, so I would recommend staying somewhere else until construction is completed, if you want the full Disney hotel experience. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Stony Point, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

this is a great hotel for a number of reasons, but the construction could make you rethink it for now.
Pros:
On the monorail system and it's proximity to ticket and transportation makes it the best location in my view.
We had a great room. the fireworks and electric parade were visible from the room, which was great.
They have movies at night on the "beach" for the kids.
Awesome pool with slide which is also a con since it's under renovation.
Staff was on their game and super friendly.
Good restaurants and a nice lobby bar.
Con's
renovations are unavoidable. The lobby is under complete overhaul so the atmosphere is nothing. They're about to renovate the family pool. It was open for our stay and was a highlight for us. After going to the parks for a few hours, going back to the pool was such a thrill. Although they have another pool, it's just a dated oval shape pool without a slide. If the pool is at all a big deal (which it is for us) select a different hotel. There wasn't a hot tub. Honestly, the renovations are my only con, but they are extensive. When they're through I'm sure it'll be wonderful.
Staff was courteous and told me I could use the Floridian for the hot tub. We did go there and I kind of wished I stayed there. Beautiful lobby with nice stores, Lilly Pulitzer, etc. Both pools were awesome and kid friendly. They had an arcade which Poly didn't have due to renovations. I would suggest this hotel instead of poly until renovations are completed.

Room Tip: Tuluva. I think was the name of the building we stayed in. Ask for a theme park view. It was reall...
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband, 7 year old niece and I stayed here the first week of July. I previously stayed for a night in April and loved it so I booked again, mainly for the convenience and location to the Magic Kingdom and Transportation and Ticket Center. This was my niece's first visit! :)

I still can't give the Polynesian 5 stars even though I do LOVE it! It's just very expensive, even with the discounted passholder rate and the fact that there is construction right now. The construction didn't bother us being that we were in the parks all day. Our room was great! I requested the Raratonga building because of it's location to the main building and they were able to accomodate. They also were able to get us the room when we checked in at 10:30 a.m. The gentleman at the front desk was very kind, friendly and made us feel welcome right from the start. Everyone we came across that worked at the resort was wonderful. The only issue I had was the day I checked out. The concierge didn't want to seem to help me check in for my flight. I ended up going outside to check in but after about 10 minutes of trying to find my flight online, the girl told me that they only can check you in if your'e flying out of Orlando. We were flying out of Tampa. I wanted to get online myself and check in but the Polynesian does not have a business center. I would have had to go to the Grand Floridian. I feel that when you're paying at least $350/night, every deluxe resort should have some sort of business center.

The only other thing that bothered me was the monorail schedule. I booked character breakfasts every morning at the resorts on the monorail but I found out the morning that we were going to the Grand Floridian that the resort monorail doesn't start running until 8:30 a.m., so we had to wait for a bus. That was a pain!! I did a lot of research and have been to Disney many times and I don't recall ever seeing the hours for the resort monorail. The next morning, to get to the Contemporary, we had to drive because I didn't want to waste time waiting for another bus. Maybe I just overlooked the monorail schedule but regardless, one of the main perks for staying at any one of those resorts is to be able to get around using the monorail. It should really start running before 8:30 a.m.

Other than that, I LOVE the Polynesian. The location and beauty of the grounds can't be beat. There is a lot of construction right now so be aware of that if you want to book it. But, it is still beautiful. I wish I could afford to stay here everytime. :)

dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a great resort to stay in when it's the middle of summer and hot! It's a short walk to the monorail and most of it is covered, keeping you out of the sun until you reach the Magic Kingdom. My family rented a pontoon boat and cruised around the lagoon. Very fun!
The rooms at the Polynesian are a bit worn but you are paying for location.

Room Tip: Bottom floor gets you an outdoor patio.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here on an extended hour park day, we were allowed to ride rides in Magic Kingdom from 1 to 3 am, after the park closed at 1. We watched the fireworks from the beach area and we could see the display above the castle and to the side, where a more elaborate display was held in conjunction with the display over the castle. We rested for a few hours during the day and this helped us to stay up later to go in the am hours. From Disney park goers for years, we can say it was pure luxury to nap in the heat of the afternoon and take the monorail back over when we wanted to. The steep price of the room was negated when that was considered. This hotel was well-kept, no problems with services noted. However, the hotel guest rooms are not in the main building you see when you first drive up; the rooms are all located in the back buildings, and a little walk jaunt is required to get to them, just so you know what to expect. FREE WIFI! Our family members were overwhelmed by the speed of the wifi, very fast and very strong wifi. They will want to stay again just for this reason. We had breakfast with the characters at Ohana and saw Mickey Mouse, Lilo, Stitch, and Pluto. We ate at Captain Cooks and by the way, the meatball and rice dish is delightful.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

we have stayed at this hotel at WDW many times in the past, and always look forward to staying here.

the staff is always wonderful and the check in is always smooth. The hotel is, in my opinion, one of the best ones to stay at when visiting WDW fro vacation.

Transportation is always close and handy, no matter what your days destination.

The food at all the dining facilities here is what you would expect from a top notch establishment.
reservations HIGHLY recommended.

a fun stay at a fun hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kodiak Island, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

First - let's get the elephant in the room out of the way. Yes - they are undergoing construction but that did not deter in any way our experience. We stayed in Aotearoa with a view of the lagoon. It was quiet. If we hadn't run into people occasionally in the hallways, we would not had known anyone else was in our building. This was a blessing as we had our 2 year old on her very first visit to Disney World and we were worried that it may be too loud for her to get in a nap. We were only about sixty yards from the Aloha Dinner Show entrance and we barely heard the drums when it was in full swing.

I have visited this resort several times growing up just an hour away but never stayed here. We planned a five day itinerary visiting all of the parks and using the convenient monorail and shuttles to get to all 4 parks. We selected this resort because it is not as busy as the other resorts and easy to shuttle a toddler around. The Ohana restaurant is icing on the cake and our toddler loved both the dinner - coconut races and character breakfast.

We will stay here again over the other resorts because of its style and comfort. It does not have as wonderful pools as the Grand Floridian or Boardwalk Villas; it does have a great atmosphere and feels like it is tucked away from the busy part of Disney. Our 2 year old loved it and that is enough for us to return.

The staff was excellent. From the gate guard welcoming us "home" (nice touch) to the greeter that led us through the entire check-in process - they were great. The murals of things to come after construction is complete give us confidence that Disney will continue to do great things with this resort.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the Grand Floridian side by the lagoon if you are looking for a little quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!