“construction could be a deal breaker” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort

You added Disney's Polynesian Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #123 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Stony Point, New York
“construction could be a deal breaker”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

this is a great hotel for a number of reasons, but the construction could make you rethink it for now.
Pros:
On the monorail system and it's proximity to ticket and transportation makes it the best location in my view.
We had a great room. the fireworks and electric parade were visible from the room, which was great.
They have movies at night on the "beach" for the kids.
Awesome pool with slide which is also a con since it's under renovation.
Staff was on their game and super friendly.
Good restaurants and a nice lobby bar.
Con's
renovations are unavoidable. The lobby is under complete overhaul so the atmosphere is nothing. They're about to renovate the family pool. It was open for our stay and was a highlight for us. After going to the parks for a few hours, going back to the pool was such a thrill. Although they have another pool, it's just a dated oval shape pool without a slide. If the pool is at all a big deal (which it is for us) select a different hotel. There wasn't a hot tub. Honestly, the renovations are my only con, but they are extensive. When they're through I'm sure it'll be wonderful.
Staff was courteous and told me I could use the Floridian for the hot tub. We did go there and I kind of wished I stayed there. Beautiful lobby with nice stores, Lilly Pulitzer, etc. Both pools were awesome and kid friendly. They had an arcade which Poly didn't have due to renovations. I would suggest this hotel instead of poly until renovations are completed.

Room Tip: Tuluva. I think was the name of the building we stayed in. Ask for a theme park view. It was reall...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband, 7 year old niece and I stayed here the first week of July. I previously stayed for a night in April and loved it so I booked again, mainly for the convenience and location to the Magic Kingdom and Transportation and Ticket Center. This was my niece's first visit! :)

I still can't give the Polynesian 5 stars even though I do LOVE it! It's just very expensive, even with the discounted passholder rate and the fact that there is construction right now. The construction didn't bother us being that we were in the parks all day. Our room was great! I requested the Raratonga building because of it's location to the main building and they were able to accomodate. They also were able to get us the room when we checked in at 10:30 a.m. The gentleman at the front desk was very kind, friendly and made us feel welcome right from the start. Everyone we came across that worked at the resort was wonderful. The only issue I had was the day I checked out. The concierge didn't want to seem to help me check in for my flight. I ended up going outside to check in but after about 10 minutes of trying to find my flight online, the girl told me that they only can check you in if your'e flying out of Orlando. We were flying out of Tampa. I wanted to get online myself and check in but the Polynesian does not have a business center. I would have had to go to the Grand Floridian. I feel that when you're paying at least $350/night, every deluxe resort should have some sort of business center.

The only other thing that bothered me was the monorail schedule. I booked character breakfasts every morning at the resorts on the monorail but I found out the morning that we were going to the Grand Floridian that the resort monorail doesn't start running until 8:30 a.m., so we had to wait for a bus. That was a pain!! I did a lot of research and have been to Disney many times and I don't recall ever seeing the hours for the resort monorail. The next morning, to get to the Contemporary, we had to drive because I didn't want to waste time waiting for another bus. Maybe I just overlooked the monorail schedule but regardless, one of the main perks for staying at any one of those resorts is to be able to get around using the monorail. It should really start running before 8:30 a.m.

Other than that, I LOVE the Polynesian. The location and beauty of the grounds can't be beat. There is a lot of construction right now so be aware of that if you want to book it. But, it is still beautiful. I wish I could afford to stay here everytime. :)

dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a great resort to stay in when it's the middle of summer and hot! It's a short walk to the monorail and most of it is covered, keeping you out of the sun until you reach the Magic Kingdom. My family rented a pontoon boat and cruised around the lagoon. Very fun!
The rooms at the Polynesian are a bit worn but you are paying for location.

Room Tip: Bottom floor gets you an outdoor patio.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here on an extended hour park day, we were allowed to ride rides in Magic Kingdom from 1 to 3 am, after the park closed at 1. We watched the fireworks from the beach area and we could see the display above the castle and to the side, where a more elaborate display was held in conjunction with the display over the castle. We rested for a few hours during the day and this helped us to stay up later to go in the am hours. From Disney park goers for years, we can say it was pure luxury to nap in the heat of the afternoon and take the monorail back over when we wanted to. The steep price of the room was negated when that was considered. This hotel was well-kept, no problems with services noted. However, the hotel guest rooms are not in the main building you see when you first drive up; the rooms are all located in the back buildings, and a little walk jaunt is required to get to them, just so you know what to expect. FREE WIFI! Our family members were overwhelmed by the speed of the wifi, very fast and very strong wifi. They will want to stay again just for this reason. We had breakfast with the characters at Ohana and saw Mickey Mouse, Lilo, Stitch, and Pluto. We ate at Captain Cooks and by the way, the meatball and rice dish is delightful.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

we have stayed at this hotel at WDW many times in the past, and always look forward to staying here.

the staff is always wonderful and the check in is always smooth. The hotel is, in my opinion, one of the best ones to stay at when visiting WDW fro vacation.

Transportation is always close and handy, no matter what your days destination.

The food at all the dining facilities here is what you would expect from a top notch establishment.
reservations HIGHLY recommended.

a fun stay at a fun hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kodiak Island, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

First - let's get the elephant in the room out of the way. Yes - they are undergoing construction but that did not deter in any way our experience. We stayed in Aotearoa with a view of the lagoon. It was quiet. If we hadn't run into people occasionally in the hallways, we would not had known anyone else was in our building. This was a blessing as we had our 2 year old on her very first visit to Disney World and we were worried that it may be too loud for her to get in a nap. We were only about sixty yards from the Aloha Dinner Show entrance and we barely heard the drums when it was in full swing.

I have visited this resort several times growing up just an hour away but never stayed here. We planned a five day itinerary visiting all of the parks and using the convenient monorail and shuttles to get to all 4 parks. We selected this resort because it is not as busy as the other resorts and easy to shuttle a toddler around. The Ohana restaurant is icing on the cake and our toddler loved both the dinner - coconut races and character breakfast.

We will stay here again over the other resorts because of its style and comfort. It does not have as wonderful pools as the Grand Floridian or Boardwalk Villas; it does have a great atmosphere and feels like it is tucked away from the busy part of Disney. Our 2 year old loved it and that is enough for us to return.

The staff was excellent. From the gate guard welcoming us "home" (nice touch) to the greeter that led us through the entire check-in process - they were great. The murals of things to come after construction is complete give us confidence that Disney will continue to do great things with this resort.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the Grand Floridian side by the lagoon if you are looking for a little quiet.
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

How can you tell you are in a Disney Resort? I mean beside the exaggerated prices on your Receipts?

The meaning of this is that we agreed for the Disney price as we expected a WOW effect. We did not get it.

The room was a standard Hotel room, unless the wristband on your hand to open the door with mickey mouse logo, there was no actual mentioning to Disney within the room. the towels were plain white towels, the bed had standard sheets, nothing in the room can hint that you are in a Disney resort. When paying over 3 times more than any other hotel in Orlando, you expect to get something different. We were massivly Disneypointed.

As for the room itself, it was rather large as we booked a special large room for party of 5. yet again, even in a basic hotel you get complimantry bottle of water in your room, Disney doesn't give you even that.

The Room was in a good shape and the view was towards the lake, very nice in overall. The staff were professional but still, as the hotel guests we were not told we should make early reservation for Dinner and breakfast and we found ourselves eating ugly fast food dinner at Capt. Cook quick service snack whatever it is... and Breakfast took over 30 minutes waiting, again, because we did not know you need to reserve it a day before.

And you have no other choices. when you stay at Orlando Hotel, you have many restaurants and Supermarkets. Here you are their captive and they give you very little options, all are far more expensive that they should be.

The only good thing about Disney resort is the transportation - the Monorail and the buses will take you whereever you want within the WDW (besides the mcdonalds, BTW, but you can take the bus to the all star sport and walk 5 minutes) for free.

Bottom line, in retrospect, I can't find a single reason why would anyone choose this option knowingly when you can stay at a far better and cheaper hotels, just 10-15 minutes from WDW with much more options and much cheaper choices for hospitality and dining.

Disney Theme parks give you an amazing WOW effect and they worth any cent. their Hotels and restaurants are lightyears behind.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!