“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

You added Disney's Polynesian Village Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #120 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Batavia, Illinois
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We have stayed at the Polynesian many times. We booked two connecting rooms, concierge level, in the Hawaii Building, we were on the third floor. Nothing beats watching the fireworks across the lake from the castle, my wife and daughter love it. Rooms were clean and well appointed , the remodel of the bathrooms is excellent , much better layout then before. Service was excellent. We love the Poly and will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We arrived early afternoon and checked in. We opened the door to our 4 rooms and found a mess. Goldfish crackers on the floor, blankets that stunk and dirty towels in the bathrooms. Each room had a problem. We contacted the hotel and after awhile they found new rooms for all of us. (They had at least been vacuumed.) The towels all stunk and even when requesting new ones they smelled of vinegar (which I guess I somewhat appreciate because they were probably sour at one point). I also had to go to the front desk a few times to fix my wristband and the staff was rude. Most of the time they had no clue how to help so they sent me on my way even though I was unable to use my meal plan. This happened 2 times and finally I refused to leave until the 3rd guy helped me. This hotel is not worth the money.

Stayed November 2013
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This was my 2nd & Last stay at this hotel. I planned a nice girl's trip to Disney to celebrate my mother's birthday(several months in advance). We stayed here a few years ago and loved the room, and the resort. This visit we only enjoyed the theme parks, not the Polynesian hotel.

We were very disappointed from check-in. Had requested a lagoon-view Handicapped room in Tahiti. We had to switch to another bldg. Rapa Nui; which was unrenovated and had very old-looking chipped furniture in the room. Tahiti had a view of a consruction site with a tarped-fence, and noisy bulldoozers. Pretty much from Hawaii down to Tahiti there's no more view of the lagoon. When asked front desk about possibly being moved to a refurbished room; on another floor or in another bldg. their reply was No! They said this is the only handicapped room available. I tried to explain how I had made reservations way in advance, and how we were celelbrating my mother's birthday during our stay, but it was like talking to a wall. The clerk and manager didn't seem to care about our situation. Also requested at check-in that maybe a Birthday note or message be left in our room to help celebrate my Mother's birthday, and nothing was done. I had heard that other disney hotel guests; of all ages;were wished a birthday greeting,etc. of some sort from the hotel staff in the past, but not at this hotel. It seems as if the hotel staff has very poor listening skills, and totally lacked empathy for their hotel guests.

We also had to have 3 sets of room keys issued during our stay. The 1st set-- my room key did not work. The 2nd set appeared to work fine for the room, but when I went out early the next morning to get coffee (before 7 am)and returned to our bldg. the room key would not unlock the main doors of the bldg. I was locked out of the bldg. and had to wait for another guest to come by and unlock the door for me. When I told this story of being locked out of the bldg. to front desk they replied why didn't you call us. I responded I was locked out of my and all the hotel bldgs. and therefore didn't have access to a phone. Luckily some other guests came by and let me in the bldg. so I didn't have to walk all the way back to the main bldg.

The rooms were run-down and the doors, and drawers didn't work so I called maintenance to come and fix them. It took 5 phone calls over a 3 day period before maintenance came to fix them. I didnt think it was too unreasonable to expect these necessary items ex.closet doors,dresser drawers to work so that we didn't have to live out of our suitcases. The housekeeping staff was lacking, the room was dusty and the sheets were changed maybe once a week. I had the same stain on my pillowcase for like 5 days. Capt. Cook's was OK, usually crowded, and had a small menu. However the pastry items were pretty good.

During our last stay here a few years back we had a wonderful time. The staff & management seemed nicer, friendlier and went out of their way to make sure that each guest had a memorable experience. This year we stayed at nicer, cleaner and friendlier hotels along the interstate and they weren't as pricey as the Polynesian either. It seemed as if the Polynesian isn't worthy of the Disney resort name anymore!

New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was our first time at the Poly. Stayed at a value before and off property another time. We visited on another trip while dining at Ohana so we knew what to expect on the outside. The grounds are gorgeous and all staff are very attentive. Our first room was in the middle of the beach construction. We walked in and took a look at the outside view to find a fence with a green tarp covering it. I asked for another room and was accommodated very nicely. We ended up in Aotearoa (ow-TAY-a-row-a; formerly Tahiti). It is very close to the ceremonial house and pool. We stayed on the 3rd floor which has balconies. It was a very nice view (standard) of the water and Grand Floridian. This appeared to have been renovated.

The hallways in the two houses we walked in have dark brown walls I thought looked very outdated and gloomy. There's many scuffs on the walls, dirty doors, etc. that surprised me bc I expected attention to detail. If you can get past those minor details while paying over $400 a night, then you'll be happy.

The pros: The sliding doors to the balcony were very nice to open and close. We had a fridge that is hidden in the woodwork, iron, hair dryer, etc. They are large rooms with a futon couch sleeper, plenty of pillows (had 2 queen size beds and had 10 pillows), flat screen tv, iPod alarm clock/charging station, 2 sinks in the bathroom. The br was renovated with a very nice shower head, floor, tub, etc. (again, saw dried drops of soapy water on the wallpaper from last guests and little things like that). The beds weren't incredibly comfortable but I slept well and wasn't uncomfortable. Monorail- we just loved this easy access to MK. We came back to nap, put on a sweater, etc. in minutes. Check in was very quick in the morning. You are welcomed outside and escorted to a staff member for check in. The pool opens early ( all Disney pools are heated) and the pool is on the beach with a view of the castle. I went on the slide with my daughter a few times! The lighting ceremony at night is very cool with a small show in the entrance of the hotel. We never watched Wishes from the beach bc we just couldn't leave the parks!

Captain Cooks is just ok. We liked the pizza flatbread. Bf croissant is huge with bacon, eggs and cheese. Ohana was so very good last trip. We could only book 940 reservation and it was too late to eat like that. We felt rushed as another staff member stood near us waiting for dishes to be removed for clean up. Missed all kid activities and singer sang a song then said goodnight. Get an earlier reservation and do it several months ahead as it gets booked.

Would I stay again? Absolutely. I now understand the worth of paying a deluxe price although we would like to give Grand Floridian a try next.

Some quick dining tips:
Chef Mickey is over priced, not great food and restaurant is small.
Crystal Palace was much nicer, less choices but better than CM and prettier
Be Our Guest- you have to try for lunch
Harbor House in MK was good quick service
1900 Park Fare Breakfast, our favorite this year
Le Cellier. Very expensive, great on the dining plan. Really good

Room Tip: Tips: we stayed close to the elevator. Guests are very loud by the elevators at all hours of day an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Santaquin, Utah, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our first visit to Disney World and it's hotels. The grounds are beautiful and the smell outside is wonderful. Check in was painfully slow, especially after a five hour flight and 45 minute bus ride. We were originally put into Rapa Nui, which hasn't been renovated, and apparently hasn't been cleaned properly for a while either. The room smelled and had left over food from the guests previously staying there. (crackers and cereal on the floor) We were moved to the Tokelou building and were pleased by the newer decor and better smell. I am a little bit of a clean freak, so the mold on the toilet and the dirt on the bathroom walls didn't thrill me, but we were so busy running around the parks that I never did complain about it. Captain Cook's food was gross, except the hot chocolate and the fruit cups. We did not eat at Ohana or Kona, but my sis-in-law had an unpleasant experience at Kona. The kids loved the pools and the slide at the volcano pool so much that they went swimming even in the 50 degree weather.
The only problem we really had was one night my son got sick and threw up in the bathroom sink. We called maintenance because it clogged up both sinks and didn't smell pleasant. It took four-and-a-half hours and 5 phone calls to finally get someone to come unclog the sinks! Not impressed, and it didn't make us feel very "magical". Other than that everything was fine. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean (minus the above bathroom issues, and yes the mold was there the entire week)
It was really convenient to use the monorail and the busses were pretty frequent. The only time it was difficult to find a bus was going to downtown Disney and getting back. They were pretty slow. A little hint about the food: The best place we ate (even including table service places) was Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. The second best food we had was at Gaston's Tavern eating the Pork Shank in Magic Kingdom.

Room Tip: We really liked the Tokelau building. It wasn't too far from the main building and the quiet po...
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

As many people have already stated, the Polynesian's location is it's greatest attribute. Monorail and transportation center are both easily accessible and are key to lugging around the family to all of the parks during a visit.

Was last here as a 7th grader in 1986, and this time came with a family of five. Despite a recent renovation, the rooms are very dark and actually look a bit dated - not much different from pictures I had from 1986. That being said, rooms were in great condition, clean and well appointed. We stayed in the Rarotonga long house which was great for quick access to the Great Ceremonial House, restaurants and pools. Despite central location, noise was never a factor (unless you consider my kids). In typical Disney style, the grounds were pristine and the activities throughout the stay were great - and who could beat front row seats on the beach for the fireworks.

All in all a very solid choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Polynesian resort in October and really enjoyed our stay! It was a great atmosphere with the Hawaiian theme yet you really felt the disney-ness with the fireworks and vibe of the resort. I was a bit reluctant to return to disney after staying elsewhere and having a difficult time. But this time I went to an expert disney agent and they suggested the Polynesian and were spot on. They also suggested the club level and it really worked for us, we ate breakfast every morning and we're always stopping in. Now, I feel it's only worth the extra cost if you are really going to use their services. There was always food and drink available and the staff was beyond helpful. I also liked the location of the club level building-close to pool and not far from the main entrance/exit. Some key points--monorail access makes this resort a winner. Captain cooks is ok but more of the disney junk food that I can't handle too much of. Ohana was impossible to get a reservation for-crazy lines. Pool was awesome and staff are really on it. View of nightly fireworks and water parade make it more magical. Tried the much celebrated dole whip at captain cooks and it was too tart for me but if you enjoy it, the staff told me you can pile it as high as you can in your cup. Got tix for Halloween party and felt it really wasn't worth it-high cost, hard to find trick or treating post and then lines, crazy busy, too humid, some things were a bit scary for kids-would pass until they are older. Awesome time at this resort!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort? Share your experiences!