“Great location, wonderful grounds.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

You added Disney's Polynesian Village Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #118 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great location, wonderful grounds.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went to Disney World to enjoy the all nighter at Magic Kingdom for Memorial Day weekend. Because of that, I checked out of the Polynesian and planned to stay all night at Magic Kingdom (which was open for 24 hours straight). I lasted until 3:00 AM.
Because my plane was leaving at 7:00 AM, I decided not to take a room. What I did instead, was to sit outside and enjoy the flickering of the tiki flames and eat Dole Whips from the 24 hours open snack bar at the Polynesian. It was magical. I loved it! Yes, and I had a coffee too. The Polynesian has to have the most beautiful grounds of any resort at Disney World. Yes, it is a bit dated.....but sitting out at 5:00 AM and watching the sun rise as the birds burst into song was fantastic! If I stay here again, I will definitely sit outside for at least an hour to enjoy the outdoors. I flew home to rain and 35 degree weather. Yes, it definitely was a treat!

Room Tip: If you can do concierge, it's the best.....it's in the Hawaii building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JeanieJ

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Arrived Sunday June 2, driving down from GA. Had completed online checkin with two longhouses specified, Tokelau and Samoa. Upon checking in I discovered that they had placed us in Raratonga, good location but with a wonderful view of the parking lot. Not good, asked sweetly if they could check the two buildings I had requested and lo and behold, there was a 2nd floor room in Tokelau, (building that had just completed refurbishment). I was appreciative, but why offer requests if you make no effort to meet them? Room was spacious and in very good condition. One complaint is that the bathroom is a little awkward for a family of four, everything in one square room. toilet is behind basically a quarter wall, I would definitely not call it a half wall as the entire bowl area is visible from the door. Also, no full length mirror anywhere, which would be nice with teen aged girls. Building was considerably quieter than our last stay in Samoa years ago, or else parents are containing their children better ;) Tokelau is convenient to the quiet pool, the great ceremonial hall and the ticket and transportation center for easy monorail access to both Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. From our balcony you were able to actually see Wishes and the Water Pageant and the resort pipes in the music as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rcraw45425
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We took advantage of online check in prior to leaving home. Once we got to the hotel, we were greeted by the front desk cast member and handed a folder with our keys and hotel info. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. Our room was in the Rarotonga building, which had been recently renovated. The new look is brighter than the old. The bathroom had 2 sinks and a larger countertop. The old bedspreads had been replaced with white duvet covers. Monorail access to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot make this hotel worth the money. Although Disney calls the Polynesian one of its "Deluxe" resorts, it isn't on par with a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DanKni
OKC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My family of 5 recently stayed at the Polynesian and we were totally impressed. First of all we were greeted by two employees before we even stepped inside the resort and ushered right into check in. To our surprise our room was ready at 11:00 am, and we were given room 2828 which was recently renovated and right next to the Grand Ceremonial House. Our building (Raratonga) was steps from the monorail and Captain Cooks quick service food. The room itself was very large and clean and we could find no fault with anything at the resort. It was the most beautiful and relaxing stay, but our favorite things about the resort were the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot and the fireworks from the beach every night! My husband also really enjoyed taking the small ferry boat from the resort to the Magic Kingdom. We would stay here again in a split second. We have two special needs children and they also loved this resort because it had a calming vibe. To us it was well worth the room price for the convenience alone.

5 Thank Brooke W
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am a HUGE Disney fan PERIOD. Unfortunately, the magic only gets less magical. I expected better, especially since I was staying here. I was greeted nicely when I drove up to security. Only to my surprise, they sent me straight to valet, sure valet is great, but if they are going to charge they should tell you first, not ASSUME.
I did not have any one cast member WOW me as they usually do. I found myself saying hi to everyone else. I mentioned I had a stroller (a baby) therefore please put me down for the closest room and on the first floor, if possible, of course. I got the furthest building from EVERYTHING. Oh and on the second floor. Rapa Nui is the name of our building.
To eat was possible one of the biggest missions not to mention how expensive EVERYTHING is. I'm not really sure where I am trying to go with all this, however Disney really needs to do something drastic, it's just not a magical experience, even more so when they are charging an arm and a leg.

2 Thank nykes
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I couldn't have asked for a better, more convenient hotel considering the monorail was upstairs in the main house. Fireworks can easily be seen from the beach areas. However, the investments in the resort were disappointing. No hot tub could be found. Pool promptly closes at 11pm (only two pools.) Renovated rooms were very well done and spacious, but king rooms are not set for a romantic getaway.. a strange bed/convertible sofa combo on opposite walls creating a maze at night if used. (Fortunately we didn't have to) Everyone on property was extremely willing to give 200% but systems in place (housekeeping and front of the house) went down just as we found out we were e-checked into the wrong room type reserved. They apparently had rooms of our type available but couldn't assign them to us until the system came back on line. Once this was solved, our room keys didn't work and it took two calls to get someone to respond. That is a real headache for staff, but tremendous waste of a day for guests just wanting to get on with our day. Check in took two hours when rooms were clean and available. We purchased artwork at downtown Disney and had it sent to the Polynesian. We had to chase it down after being told it wasn't there. Bottom line, the employees work ten times harder than they should have to because of poor planning for digital and organizational systems. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank chrislhough
Narragansett
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Polynesian is categorized by Disney as a "premier resort", after a 5 night stay, I would say it is moderate at best. Much of the original charm from its 1971 opening is still apparent. While other reviews report recent updates, they only brought the rooms into the 1990's. The building next to ours was under renovation during our stay (May, 2013), it was wonderful to wake up to sawing and banging daily. Maybe this renovation will upgrade the rooms to modern "premier" standards. The positives: the volcanoe pool (especially the water slide), the reasonably priced/convenient dining at Captain Jacks, the easy access to the monorail and the friendly staff. Another bonus, the Magic Kingdom's 10pm fireworks are visible from the Polynesian's beach area. I highly recommend the "Spirit of Aloha" dinner show, a bit pricey, but an overall good meal with a great show. You truly cannot beat staying within the Magic Kingdom Resort area. The negatives: the dated and less than plush rooms, the bus system and the crowded pool area. Regarding the buses, the Polynesian shares bus service with the Contemporary and Grand Floridian Resorts. Guests of the Polynesian appear to always be last on [to an already packed bus] and last off [making for extra long rides-typically while standing]. While the pool is excellent for kids, it is undersized for such a large resort. The pictures make it appear huge, it is tiny by comparison to average resort pools and many of the pool partiers did not appear to be staying in the Polynesian. All in all, I would not return to the Polynesian. The high price pushes the negatives to far outweigh the positives.

3 Thank Brian Q