“Location, Kona Cafe, Pool, Neverland Club” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort

You added Disney's Polynesian Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #113 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Cranbury, New Jersey
“Location, Kona Cafe, Pool, Neverland Club”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Polynesian for 4 nights for a Family vacation. This was our first trip to Disney as a family. The hotel was in an ideal location for a short stay. The Disney Magical Express is a must. Transfers were so easy to and from the hotel. From the hotel to the parks, I would suggest taking the resort boat to and from Magic Kingdom. The monorail is available to take your travelers to Epcot, and buses outside to hotel to other parks. The hotel room was average. It seemed a little worn, but there were two good size beds and a convertible sofa bed. I would expect a little more for a deluxe property, but you don't go to Disney to sit in a hotel room. We ate at the Kona Cafe for lunch and dinner which is located just as you exit the tram. Service and meals were great. I would recommend the duck for dinner and Teriyaki steak for lunch. Sushi is available and my wife enjoyed it. The pool was fairly busy. There is a water slide, but no hot tub for the adults. Children's activities were poolside as well. If you want to do a parent's night out, use the Neverland Club. Reasonable rates, and our child had a great time. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Stayed in Fiji section. Our room faced the beach. It got a little noisy at night because of the din...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just ended our vacation at Disneyworld, staying at the Polynesian. The decor and landscape had a nice Hawaii feel but I question the 4 star rating for several reasons. Regarding rooms, they were fine, not a wow factor but clean and included the basics, and were cleaned daily by very friendly housekeeping. For most who choose this hotel, they are expecting a higher end experience and pay for that. But, we found that the hotel guests are not treated any more special than someone off the street. We were unable to attend the luau because they had no space, I asked the employees about this as this is a no brainer for activities, but she casually told me that I should have made reservations months ago, as anyone can book it (no special consideration for their guests). We also tried to eat at Ohana restaurant, only able to eat there once (again, no specials for their guests) (by the way, it was a fun experience for kids, pretty good breakfast). So, for guests who fail to make reservations for basic meals months in advance, you can eat at captain hooks, easily one of the worst (but still expensive) self serve type places. Basically, you stand in a long line to self order, then go in another long line to pay, then in another line to get your food (I don't know about all foods, but we ordered a chicken sand which, hamburger, an d grilled cheese, these were really bad!). The sit down restaurants (if available, are a little more money but the food and service is much better). Otherwise, the hotel has a nice pool, relaxing setting, nice family activities (like biking/boating). From a location standpoint, it is great. You can take the ferry or tram to parks in minutes. Overall, hotel has good potential and we would go again, but would have to plan everything to ensure a good experience. And, they did great for making the trip easy (bags arrived in our hotel room and we could check our bags when leaving, meaning no lugging suitcases through airport). Also, concierge service was poor, compared to every hotel I've ever been at. If you need help getting reservations or info to other events, better to spend 20 minutes on the phone to get ahold of reservations...once you get someone I found they were very friendly and helpful, even getting us reservations to places in Disney.

Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have stayed twice here, this time due to the construction going on at the Grand Floridian. The first when the Grand Floridian was overbooked. Being so close to the Magic Kingdom is fantastic. The pool is great, the food is surprisingly good too and the service is very good. The rooms are good, and are being updated right now. I hope they update the very noisy A/C, the beds and the safe, the closet doors were bent out of shape and the toiletries are tiny. But without being real luxurious, the advantage of being a stop from Magic kingdom (we were closer to the transportation center than the hotels own monorail stop) and the view of the lagoon and the castle is worth the luxurious price. But they could do better, like having duvets, softer beds, separate showers, quiet A/C units, or new carpeting. But that is not the top priority on peoples minds when they visit. And it actually reminds me of Hawaii. You will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Lagoon View a must. Ground floors have fast access to the gardens.
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I love the tropics, so this resort was my favorite to stay in! The decorations were so interesting and fun to take pics with. the food was great, and the chef even came out to talk to us about my MIL's food restrictions! So accommodating and friendly. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My family stayed in the Rapa Nui building in adjoining rooms. First the good:

* Everything we needed and asked for from the staff was done with a smile. I cannot say enough good things about the people who work at this hotel.
* The location was so convenient. This building is a 5 minute walk (at most) from the Ticket and Transportation Center with direct monorail service to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. We saved so much time being able to get to the parks quickly.
* The rooms were quiet, clean and spacious.
* The tropical theme is well-executed and fun, not silly.

Okay, now the bad:
* The rooms are dark and outdated. Even with every light turned on, I still felt like I was in a cave. Maybe it was on purpose so I would not notice the hole in the carpet, the thread-bare coverlet, or the dinged-up furniture.
* Despite what they advertise, the pools are not heated. It got close to 90 on our trip so it certainly was hot enough to swim, but even my daughter complained about how cold the water was. If a 10-year-old wants to skip swimming because it is too cold, you know you are in trouble. In addition, the "big" pool was closed without explanation several times during our stay.
* The beds and pillows were not comfortable. We stayed for 6 nights, so I really noticed.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our family of five had a great stay at the Polynesian. No doubt you are already familiar with all of the advantages of staying on a Disney property. I strongly encourage you to do so, if that is an affordable option for you. Here I would just like to highlight a few random things I didn't know before going to the Polynesian, which you may find useful. (1) The grounds and pools, which are the Polynesian's big draw, are beautiful, however in January it is too cold to take advantage of the pools and beach area, and there is no hot tub for those cold days. So, if you have your heart set on this hotel, consider coming here in another month. If January is your travel date, be aware that you will be looking at these features, not experiencing them. (2) If you are traveling with young children, be aware of two evening events that may disrupt bedtime. The Magic Kingdom fireworks are every night at 8:00 and are wonderful to watch from the resort's beach. If that is the time you normally put young ones to bed, the noise may keep them up. If 9:00 is bedtime for your tikes, then the daily water parade is guaranteed to keep them awake. The music is piped into the resort as the floats go by. It is so loud that if you are lying down, you will have the sensation that it is being piped directly into your pillow. My sounds sleepers were able to sleep through it on the night they went to bed at 8:30, but when I tried to put them down at 9:00 another day, it was a disaster. These are minor issues, but something to be aware of as evening fatigue is often an issue on a Disney trip. Everyone needs their sleep. (3) Just a little shout out to the security staff who rescued my sweetheart and I in record time after we got locked out on our balcony with no phones while the kids were at the Neverland Club. Watch out, those metal hooks can lock on you. Overall we were very happy with our stay and with the convenience of this property. (4) The Magical Express service worked very well for us. In January, crowds are generally smaller, so wait times for the Magical Express were short. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and proactive. We woke up on our final day to find an envelope under our door with our bus information, as well as our airplane boarding passes already printed for us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Poly from Jan.17-31.
We were able to check in when we arrived by the Magical Experss around 1:30pm , received the room which I had requested, which was in the Tokelau building. We were able to watch the fireworks at night from our balcony. The room was very comfortable and clean. Our mouse keeper did a great job at keeping our room nice. Having the monorail for transportation to Magic Kingdom and Epcot is a wonderful bonus! The boat ride over to Magic Kingdom is also enjoyable.
Our meals at Captain Cooks and Kona were always good, I would say that Kona is one of the better restaurants on disney.
The quiet pool was so nice and relaxing, good way to spend some sunny afternoons.
I am already looking forward to going back to the Polynesian in January 2014 to see the refurb rooms.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Disney's Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!