“Disappointed for the first time ever!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Polynesian Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #94 of 329 hotels in Orlando
Illinois
“Disappointed for the first time ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This property is our very favorite place to stay at Disney World. I have stayed here many, many times since our first stay in 1990 and although, like everything else, the price has risen, I've still thought it was worthwhile. The location is perfect. We always request a building and floor location and although we understand it is not guaranteed, we usually get our request.

On this most recent stay, we had a group of 9 staying in 2 connecting rooms. We were happy with our ground floor location. We were there for a Halloween Party and the Food and Wine festival and luckily, we were there during the free dining plan. Everything about our stay was perfect except our Mousekeeping staff. It's amazing how one person being rude can put a damper on a vacation. I know this is unusual that's why I still rated the Polynesian as good, rather than give a lower rank.

The grounds of the Polynesian are beautiful, it is a restful place to stay. The room was clean and of a good size, our Mousekeeper was just rude.

1,713 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked the Polynesian for a quick surprise trip for friends. We stayed just three days. The overall experience was very relaxing. The nicest part was the view. The next best part was the location of my longhouse - just a 5 min walk out the side door to the Transportation and Ticket Center and, therefore, the monorail to Epcot.

Overall I think the Polynesian experience is a little dated with the "Tiki" phase from decades ago. You kind of need to be of a certain age and/or into this type of look to really find it charming today. This said, the location and water views of both fireworks and the lagoon "water electric parade" from your own balcony or porch at night can't be beat. I even had a little hammock right outside my sliding glass doors. Without a doubt, this was the most relaxing stay I've had at a Disney resort just from the atmosphere.

The room was quite large and easily slept five. The couch turns into a twin daybed in a flash that one of our party said was very comfortable. While the bathroom has a huge vanity with double sinks, it is a disadvantage for a mixed party that the sinks are in the same space as the bath and WC. Also, similar to the rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, this bathroom has rather dim light which can be problematic in the makeup department.

In the area of "Mouse"keeping, the bathroom was spotless and we had plenty of towels, shampoo, and soap. On the other hand, the carving of the headboard in my room was quite dusty. I'm sure having such details in the room makes things problematic and that deep cleaning doesn't happen often, but it was a detail I noticed. An update to the room decor could fix this problem.

Service was, as usual, up to Disney standards. I used online checkin and, therefore, got the "concierge" check-in experience. I arrived before 9am due to an early flight and while Disney doesn't guarantee your room will be ready until 3pm. In spite of this, my room was ready to go when I arrived. I used the Disney express this trip as well and had not a problem at all with transport or baggage.

As previously mentioned, location is superior with regard to transportation. Not only does the resort have a monorail stop of it's own, but long-houses toward the east side of the resort also have a short walk on a marked and lighted walkway to the Epcot monorail at the Transportation and Ticket Center. This also means that if you have a dinner reservation at another resort, you can walk just a little more and catch a direct bus to anywhere on Disney property in a flash -- a benefit you won't get at another Disney World location. Another note, the resort has its own dedicated boat back and forth to the Magic Kingdom. As a result I had the fastest transit times to MK of any of the resorts I have stayed at so far (though I am sure the short walk from the Contemporary and/or Bay Lake Tower would be close).

Food and drink at the Polynesian was confined to quick service for my trip. The flatbread was quite good and others in our party said the pork sandwich was tasty. Everyone, of course, loved the Dole Whip station. We also had a few of the cupcakes and they got from good to wonderful on the rating scale.

A final note with regard to ratings below. I note a rating for the Spa. The Polynesian does not have its own spa but if you like you may make reservations at the Spa at Saratoga. If you do, they send a special car to pick you up instead of taking bus transport. When you're done with your appointment(s) they will have someone else come to pick you up and return you to the Polynesian. My experience at Saratoga for a mani-pedi was very good, and the transport was a real added bonus! I imagine that those staying at Polynesian normally go to the spa at the Grand Floridian, but it is currently under renovation.

Some might argue price on this resort and I couldn't disagree. I, once again, had the luck of an annual pass-holder price or I might not have tried this resort. Still, the location, extra magic hours for resort guests, the fabulous transport options, the extra little day bed, and the lagoon view were, for me, worth the price. Your milage may vary, but I would recommend the experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hendersonville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just returned from another great stay at the Polynesian. This my family's favorite of all the Disney hotels. The atmosphere is great and the staff are wonderful. Captain Cooks fast restuarant in the Great Ceremonial Lodge is a great quick choice. Lots of options for even the picky eaters. The closeness to the monorail is worth everything you pay for this hotel choice!!

Altamonte Springs, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Everyone knows about the famous Disney magic and the ability they have to seemingly transport you to another world. As a self-professed Disney freak saying I was dissappointed with my most recent stay is an understatement. I was confused - was I staying at a Motel 6 or a "deluxe" resort? I really couldn't tell.

There was peeling wallpaper and mold in the bathroom which I suspect was caused by the shower curtain rod which was not mounted correctly. When the shower curtain was closed it bunched up in the middle of the rod because it was slanted downward and caused water to get all over the floor.

The mini-fridge was completely frozen over so it didn't work properly. There were exposed wires and a missing ceiling tile.

I couldn't help but think the room was under refurbishment and we were booked there accidentally! I mean, the shower curtain was pathetic! How did no one notice that?!?!

I provided feedback through Disney's survey process and haven't heard anything - no surprise there, so heed this warning: If you are unsatisfied with your room, demand a change and don't accept anything less.

*There are rumors of possible room refurbishments on the horizon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We spent over a week at the Polynesian in October together with my parents and sister's family. It is our third stay at the resort and we would definitely go back. We love the proximity to the parks, the lovely landscaping, the quiet pool and the fireworks from the beach. We did not love the rather chaotic check-in process and trying to get 3 rooms near each other. But other than that the stay was great. We booked with Lynda from Dream Makers Vacation Services, who saved us a bunch by letting us know about the free Disney Dining promotion that was available when we wanted to travel. She also booked our rental car and a couple of restaurants that I could not get online.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I had booked our disney vacation at the all star music resort and were soooo excited when we found out we were being upgraded to the Polynesian free of charge! When we arrived at the hotel we were given leis and checked in very quickly. The girl at the front desk ran around the counter when she saw we were taking pictures of the lobby garden so we both could be in the photo. We stayed in the Rapa Nui building which was a bit of a walk to the great ceremonial house but the resort is so beautiful we didn't mind the walk at all. Plus, we were the loosest building to the monorail and ferry stations. Despite being so close to these these the room was quiet. It was clean and very spacious. The washroom was the same thing. The in room safe was digital so. We didn't have to carry around a key which was nice. The staff were sooo friendly and said aloha when you passed by!
The two pools were very nice but we stuck to the smaller one as it was quieter. We had lunch and breakfast at captain cooks and really enjoyed it. The best part of the resort though was getting to watch the magic kingdom fireworks on the beach every night. It was our honeymoon and ended up being soooo perfect and romantic. We are going back to disney again in January and we will be spending the extra money to stay here gin. It's worth it!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I remember this hotel being spectacular 20+ years ago, unfortunately it doesn't look like they have remodeled this place since the mid-80's and when you are charging $400+ a night that is unacceptable. In the real world $400+ a night usually gets you immaculate grounds, incredible rooms and impeccable service. At Disney, $400+ a night gets you an outdated 3 star hotel with below average service, and over-priced meals. It is obvious that Disney corporate is trying to milk ever dollar they can out of this place and they know that despite its sub-par accommodations the proximity to the Magic Kingdom means that they can charge super premium prices for an out-dated and often poorly run hotel. If you are ok shelling out $400 a night for the proximity to the park that is fine but don't expect a 4-5 star resort. All that being said, the convenience of the monorail is hard to beat . . . but you pay for it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!