“Great Honeymoon Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Polynesian Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #94 of 328 hotels in Orlando
East Meadow, New York
“Great Honeymoon Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We loved our stay at the Polynesian, made a million times better by the friendly and courteous staff.

Upon finding out we were on our honeymoon, they upgraded our room which was a nice surprise. I was a bit bummed to find out they don't have rooms with King beds, and they only have 2 double beds in every room.

The cafe in the main house has a nice selection, and the gift shop also has a lot of nice items. The grounds are beautiful, and actually quite large.

It was convenient to take a bus, monorail, or ferry to every park from there. The rooms were very clean. The only thing I didn't like was how I could EVERYTHING happening in all the other rooms. I wanted to ask the people upstairs if they would let me play with their pet elephant.

on our first morning, there was a lot of noise in the hall and I discovered they were changing the locking system on every single door in the hotel. This was quite loud, but it didn't start until 9am - and it was the day we were trying to sleep in.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony, but you can see The Magic Kingdom with the lake view rooms - which you wil...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

1,785 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great resort - first class care by Disney. Well worth the extra money to stay on Disney property. Rooms were clean and spacious and very quiet. Resort staff was courteous and professional and always avaialble.

Room Tip: Tahiti is very close to the main Disney transportation gub
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We here for 7 days and it's all just ok. I am disappointed with concierge level, as the room and food is not as good as Disneyland Hotel. However, the cost is less. So I guess that is Ok. The room seems dated but the beds are comfortable and it is clean. So I guess that is Ok. We booked a garden room so we just look on the garden so that is Ok. Also, right next store is the transportation center with quick and easy access to Animal kingdom or Downtown Disney.So that is OK too. No ones kidding when they say you need dinner reservations. We tried at 5 pm to get into one of Z restaurants and couldn't get in until after 8 pm. That's in low season.....

Springfield, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My first visit to the Polynesian Resort at Disney World, FL blew me away. The rooms were sparkling fresh, the lobby and surrounding grounds phenomenal. That was about 20 yrs ago. I returned for a 4 night stay last week and was again blown away by the lush landscaping and Hawaii feel. That feeling was quickly dashed when I entered our room.....oh so dated and just plain tired. Saying it was seedy is a bit much, but somewhere between seedy and tired would be my best description. The bedspreads (who uses crusty old bedspreads anymore??) looked like they were right out of the 70's. but I don't think that was what they were going for. My guess is that they have such a high turnover that they (the hotel owners/corporation) never takes the time to refresh and update. That is too bad....the location of the hotel to the monorail (right outside the front door) made it a major convenience to get to all the parks, but for that price, I was expecting a little more luxury. Oh......no King beds ANYWHERE unless you were renting the big suites, and there was no makeup mirror as the "amenities" list described. Not that big of a deal except it's nice to leave those extra things at home considering the cost of baggage over the limit with the airlines these days. I'm not rushing to go back by any means.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Due to the constructions at Grand Floridian, we changed our reservations to Polynesian. I have to say, out of the 3 monorail resorts, this one has the best location mainly because you can also walk to TTC (Ticket and Transportation Center) so you have more choices for transportation.

Tips and suggestions for choosing a resort
===================================
- First choose which parks you are more likely to visit more than once. For example, our family visits Epcot almost every day because they have the best restaurants.
1) If you chose Magic Kingdom and Epcot, then stay at a monorail hotel. I think Polynesian is the best as far as transportation. Grand Floridian is the best as far as luxury, comfort, bright rooms.
2) If you chose Epcot and Hollywood Studio, then stay at Boardwalk or Beach Club. Tip: Beach Club has more rooms with an extra day bed than Boardwalk.
3) If you don't mind taking the bus to all the parks, then stay at Animation Resort. Even getting a 2-room suite there would be much cheaper than Polynesian and most of the other resorts. Also, it's brand new so not as likely to have plumbing and other maintenance problems. Tip: Sometimes you have to wait for a very long time for the bus.

Tips about Polynesian
===================
- Choose a building close to the Transportation Center so you can take the direct monorail to Epcot. We stayed at Tokelau which is very central and were very happy with the location.
- For breakfast, skip Ohana and just go to Kona. The food at Kona is so much better than Ohana. Also, if you're on the dining plan, don't use it for Kona. Save it for more expensive restaurants.
- Bring a small flashlight because it's so hard to find your building at night.
- Check different entrances to your building for the best shortcut. It took us a while to realize there was a much shorter way to get to TTC from Tokelau.

Other tips
=========
- Make dining reservations as soon as possible. You can change them if you change your mind.
- If you have dining plan, you can use the snack credits to buy some items from the stores in Epcot. For example, we used ours to buy caramel chocolates for souvenir from the candy store in Germany. You can also use the snack credit to buy some food times from the Food and Wine Festival.
- My restaurant suggestions with the dining plan: Le Cellier, Les Chefs du France, Tokyo Dining, Teppan Edo, Boma.
- Bring little battery-operated fans. The ones they sell at the parks are too big and heavy. It was so hot when we were there (first week of October).

Pros for Polynesian
================
- Location
- The Hawaii theme (in my opinion, much, much better than Aulani, the Disney resort in Hawaii. See my review for Aulani)
- Big rooms with an extra day bed
- The cafe open 24-hours a day
- Pools/beach

Cons for Polynesian
=================
- Old resort issues: The shower was sometimes too cold and other time too hot, the sink didn't drain well
- Very small elevator at Tokelau.
- Rooms somewhat dark (but not too bad).
- Room service: limited options and too expensive.

Room Tip: The Tokelau building is central. Tahiti is the closest to the Transportation Center. Avoid the first...
Mays Landing, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have stayed at the Grand Floridian and here. I was scared because of the age of the hotel however we were pleasantly surprised. We prefer the tropical feel for a vacation so this was a good fit for us. Everything was close by and we were even able to see the castle and fireworks from our "Gardenview Room". The room was dark as other reviews have mentioned however that was great for sleep. If you are looking for something more luxurious this isn't for you.
Book the restaurants 6 months in advance as we were not able to dine at Kahunas even though we were guests at the hotel. The Kona Cafe had excellent sushi. Best part was that you could take a boat to Magic Kingdom rather than the monorail. You can also do this at the Polynesian. Only negative is the strange smell/spray in the lobby. Volcano pool slide is awesome for kids and adults. Games at the volcano pool and movies on the beach at night.

Room Tip: Request the Hawaii, Tahiti, & Tuvalu if you want to be right on the water. Samoa if you want to...
Long Island City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband, two children (5 &2) stayed at the Polynesian Resort for 5 nights beginning September 13. Since it was our first trip to DisneyWorld our schedule was very busy and we didn't spend much time at the hotel, however that said, other than the large pool, there wasn't much of a "draw" for us to do so.
Upon arrival we were greeted as if we were in Hawaii, a nice touch, leis and all and then while checking in I asked about available upgrades (after reading other's reviews and that often times people requests are fulfilled) however the employee with whom I was speaking just was not understanding me or my request-I do not think English was his first language and clearly he didn't understand what I was referring to so I said to "forget it" then I was attempting to explain that when getting off the plane in Florida we found out that JetBLue broke our stroller (they lost a wheel) and I wanted to inquire about renting one via the hotel...again he couldn't help, but pointed out the concierge- I explained our dilemma again to which she (another employee) wrote down a name & phone number of a stroller company for me to call (to be honest I really thought that paying for a deluxe hotel, the concierge would have just used our credit card and offered to arrange this for us). One last thing about the stroller, unfortunately when renting a stroller, the outside companies must have a set location at the Polynesian for drop-off and pick-up, apparently our stroller had been dropped off for our second day only to find out that before we went to retrieve it that morning another company took back our stroller as a "pick-up" I think the hotel could have been a bit more organized so this doesn't happen. Once again we were without a stroller for day two... (We did get it by the end of day 2)
I also thought that being that the hotel is broken up into several buildings and literally took days for us to get used to it and to navigate with ease, that someone should have led us to our building- not just hand us a map with our room number circled~ again not a deluxe hotel service. I also would have thought that upon checking in someone would offer some additional information about the location/hours of the pool(s) restaurants, etc. It was more of a "figure it out as you go along" deal.
The decor is Hawaiian/Polynesian- hence the name, but it is also very dated and in need of brighter, cleaner Hawaiian feel. The grounds are pretty, torches lit at night and Hawaiian music playing. We have been to Hawaii, and many aspects of the hotel decor remind me of Hawaii, but I could do without the stains on the carpet and tears in the wallpaper.
We didn't receive any special disney towel animals and for that matter not any "magic" in the hotel at all. I did love the convenience of the monorail (although it was closed after the "Not So Scary Halloween Parade" which we thought defeated the purpose- especially being so late with two little ones)
There's also a boat that you can take if the monorail is closed, but they REALLY pack you in, to the point that many people stand and have to step off to let others out and there are tons of mosquitos all over the boat...
We did find out on our last night that there was a movie on the beach at night, but it was a bit too late by that point in the trip. So if you're interested in what the hotel has to offer, ask...
My husband and son never even tried the pool, but my daughter and I went in for about an hour one day- it was very crowded and it seemed that a woman was attempting to entertain the children with "games" but she was really just tossing little rubber animals in the pool and wanted the kids to collect them and return them to her- it's Disney- there should be more entertainment for the children...music, etc.
I also have to mention that the employees who worked at the Quick Service cafe in the Polynesian could really use a lesson in customer service and patience, the women at the registers were so rude and it seemed that everywhere else (in the parks) the employees/castmembers couldn't be nicer so I don't know what the issues were there at the food service in the Polynesian.
We also ate breakfast at Ohana the other (sit-down) restaurant and that was a fun experience.
We didn;t attend the luau at the Polynesian.
So overall, I would NOT stay there again. We did get to check out the lobby of the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary, both of which in my opinion, far exceed the Polynesian. It was a disappointment to me, especially after so many people have had such wonderful things to say about the hotel. It was an average stay with an expensive pricetag.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!