“Made an awesome trip even better!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Polynesian Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Polynesian Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #112 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Columbia, SC
“Made an awesome trip even better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I traveled with my husband and kids (4 and 1) and we met up with my sister and her family (11,9,7). We arrived at 1130am and our room was ready! I was expecting to have to wait until the afternoon, so we were beyond excited. The rooms are so spacious. We stayed in Tokelau on the second floor. We had requested first floor rooms, but these were great and my little ones loved the balcony. The decor is not that great, but it is supposed to be a little cheesy since this is more of a themed hotel than the Grand Floridian or Contemporary. We never got to eat at Kona or Ohana because we couldnt get a reservation. Capt Cooks was okay...the staff there is very rude and unfriendly. The pools were great. The quiet pool opened up half way through our stay. It was lovely, but the children preferred the volcano pool. The lifeguards were incredible and were constantly watching the pool.

When you consider the price of this hotel, you must take into consideration the transportation. Every option is available within walking distance to each park. We had originally planned to stay in a moderate hotel, but then I realized that the only transportation was by bus which has daunting lines, especially if you have children with strollers. It was money well spent! We didn't expect to enjoy the hotel so much. We looked forward to leaving the parks to come back and relax. Each afternoon there were kids games by the pool and they played fun music. At 8 each night there was a campfire then a movie on the beach. Of course it is a great view of the Magic Kingdom's fireworks at 10pm.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Very attentive staff, nice volcano pool (although crowded), and very spacious rooms. The rooms are a bit dark and drab, but everything is tastefully done. We stayed at the Grand Floridian last year and thought it was more beautiful, but this hotel was much more kid-friendly and had more to offer.... the rooms were HUGE and the staff was amazing. If you have young kids, the location can't be beat, it only took about 20 minutes to get anywhere in Disney, which was awesome. Our only real complaint about the hotel was 'Ohana restaurant- the service was horrible. The price is a bit high, but you get what you pay for being so close to Magic Kingdom and having a smaller more accessible hotel than others. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at the Polynesian over Easter and could not have been happier with our experience. From the time you arrive until you leave you are greeted with smiles and a friendly "aloha". The lobby is relaxed and spacious. The layout of the property consists of one central lobby surrounded by several large buildings housing the rooms. The property is large and some buildings require more walking, but they are generally more private. Factor that in when checking in. The rooms are among the biggest in Disney. The are decorated in a south Pacific theme consistent with the rest of the property. Great attention is paid to the cleanliness of the rooms, common areas, and surrounding landscaping. The pool area is great, especially if you are traveling as a family. The pool is large and offers ample space to play or relax without disturbing or being disturbed. While the price is high, its proximity to the theme parks and amenities were justified in my opinion. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Polynesian from May 1 - 8, 2011. My husband had a work convention at Disney and we were placed at the Polynesian instead of the Contemporary where the conference was, due to room availability. This was such a happy accident! I had read some bad reviews and was hoping that Disney would put its best foot forward, like it usually does. We were not disappointed!

We were greeted outside by a cast member, personally led to the desk inside and were able to check in early! This was great, not only to start relaxing but because my husband started with sessions the same afternoon! Our room was in the Roratonga House, next to the Great Ceremonial House. Our room was very spacious and clean but it does need some updating. It looks like the draperies were new but the bedspreads were older and didn't match. The beds were extremely comfortable, especially where I have a bad back.

What's most striking is the grounds and landscaping. There are so many beautiful plants and flowers, especially in the main house. I also loved the lit torches at night. It made for a very romantic walk through the grounds. We do not have kids but it looked like the kids had a blast in the volcano pool. It was a bit crowded because the "quiet" pool was closed for repair until the last day of our stay. The beach area is nice and people enjoyed the movie on the beach every night.

My husband had a lot of his meals through the conference from Sunday through Thursday. We stayed a couple extra days to enjoy the parks together. I usually ate at Captain Cooks in the morning which was fine. I did not like the coffee, however. We also ate at Ohana's for dinner and for the character breakfast on our last day. The food was excellent. We went to the Kona Cafe once for breakfast and it was fine. Again the coffee, which is supposed to be excellent here, was too watery for me (but then again, I like a strong cup of coffee!) A must-do is the luau dinner show! The show was outstanding, the food was great and our waiter, Joe, was excellent!

The other great thing about the Polynesian is the convenience. The monorail stops right at the hotel. There is also a bus stop to get to the other theme and water parks. The Ticket and Transportation center is a short walk away also. And for an alternative, I took the water launch from the Magic Kingdom right to the hotel. We never waited very long for any of the transportation.

Service was excellent, all the way around from housekeeping, store cast members and waitstaff. As a guest of the Polynesian, you have access to the Spa and Fitness Club at the Grand Floridian. What I didn't know before I left is that you can use the sauna, steamroom and jacuzzi any time during your stay. I had a massage (which was heavenly - thank you Aimee!) and sat in the whirlpool afterwards. It really helped my aching muscles after walking the parks for a few days! The fitness center is spacious with your usual equipment. I only saw one person in there.

I would definitely stay at the Polynesian again!! It was a vacation within a vacation!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

The Polynesian Resort Orlando was one of six hotels we stayed in on a trip to the U.S. in April. It was the only one that we disliked. The rooms are tired and depressing. I dislike showering over a bath but even more so when the bath and shower curtain are dingy and yellowed with age. The bath towels I would use as hand towels they were so small. There was no turn down. Altogether a most unsatisfactory experience. If the rooms were inexpensive I would not be writing this review but they were very expensive.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2011
Venice, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

My husband and I brought our two sons and their families (grandkids 8, 7, 5, and 4) to the Polynesian for 5 nights as a reunion of sorts over Easter. When our boys were young, we chose the Polynesian at which to stay, for I always felt I was somewhere far away on a tropical island. The feeling is still there 20 years later. I read the negative reviews on Trip Advisor and admit I was concerned, but our expectations were very much satisfied, and I couldn't have been happier with our choice. Since we reserved 3 rooms as a Grand Gathering party of 10, I was thrilled that my first preference was satisfied. We had three rooms in a row on the first floor of Tokelau. This location was perfect to walk to the pool, the Ceremonial House, and the Ticket & Transportation Center. Check-in was smooth with no wait.

The rooms were large, quiet, very clean, and both sons liked that their children did not have to share beds, since they made use of the sofa beds. The grandkids had fun looking for the Hidden Mickeys (the bellman gave us some tips). I brought breakfast foods as we drove to Disney World, and all 10 of us gathered in our room and the outside patio for a couple of breakfasts--there was plenty of space.

One disappointmenet was that the quiet pool was not opened as had been "promised" on-line, so the volcano pool was crowded. However, the grandkids would have preferred the volcano pool anyway, and we were able to secure tables each afternoon we returned after a busy day at the parks. The kids also enjoyed playing on the beach with the pails and shovels I brought (the hotel did have some available).

We ate at the Kona Cafe for breakfast which was fine, 'Ohanas twice (dinner and the character breakfast), and Captain Cook's. The food at 'Ohanas was plentiful and well prepared, and all our grandkids enjoyed participating in the children's activities--and we enjoyed watching them. The food at Captain Cook's was just ok, and we chose to eat a light dinner at the Grand Floridian's Gasparilla Grill which had better choices and also counted as a quick-service meal (we were on the Dining Plan).

We've stayed at several other hotels on Disney property, but we especially like the transportation options offered by the Polynesian. We enjoyed the convenience of using the monorail and the option of walking to the TTC to take the monorail to Epcot or board a bus to Animal Kingdom and Holywood Studios. There is also the option of taking a ferry boat between the Magic Kingdom and the hotel. These various transportation modes definitely save time in getting to and from the parks.

Other highlights of staying at the Polynesian include watching the boat parade at night which stops in front of the hotel, enjoying a movie on the beach with my granddaughter, seeing the fireworks in front of the castle from the beach complete with the sound/music and no crowds to fight, and walking back to our room on pathways lit by torches. This is truly a resort where one could spend a vacation enjoying the water activities, the pool, and all the Polynesian has to offer. But we come to Disney to also experience the parks and the delight of watching our families interact and be together. It was especially nice going back to the Polynesian for some rest time.

Is the resort perfect--No. Can it use some updating--Yes. Is the price high--Absolutely. But our expectations were met and another wonderful Disney memory created.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sogne Municipality, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

3 families spanning three generations stayed in adjoining rooms for three night to get the max out of our Disney experience. It absolutely worked. Direct access to the monorail, and walking distance to the main communication hub made exploring the various Disney venues so much easier than staying outside would have been (and we have experienced that too.

The hotel is fine, at + 30 years, the excellent maintenance is showing results.

Best experiences: Grandstand view of the nightly fireworks, Easy access for a rest during midday heat, and nice rooms

Complaints: Pretty ridiculous price levels on some items, Totally inadequate information on the need to book dining as soon as you book hotel room in order to ensure that you party will dine together

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!