“Nice condo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Contemporary Resort

You added Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Contemporary Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #133 of 329 Hotels in Orlando
South Padre Island, Texas
“Nice condo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We stayed in the newer building which has condos with full kitchens. Our place was very nice and the room service was great. Staff ultra friendly. Cool pool with waterslide and access to the pools behind the original building too. If you are going to stay here and plan to cook get the groceries on the way in the store in the original building is limited and expensive. The original building has some shops and restaurants. Shuttle service was regular with pickups beside the original building just seconds away from the new building. Some parks can take upto 30 mins to get to if you have transfers. Monorail goes right through the original building which is cool to see. My wife and I volunteered for the pull out so that is why I put the average sleep quality. I am sure the real beds were very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed at the Contemporary from August 18-23, 2014. There were seven of us in two rooms (4 adults and three children). We booked rooms in the Garden Wing and actually had first floor rooms. Having read many reviews, I was cautiously optimistic. We had a lovely stay. The rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. In my family's room we used the day bed. We also enjoyed the patio and views of the garden and lake. Contrary to what I had read prior to the trip, we found the walk from the main building to the Garden Wing short. It may have taken two minutes...max. Once inside the building, your room may be farther away, but the walk was fine. I also LOVED that we were near a door to the pool (although we are not on the pool side). So, we were at the pool in minutes...no elevators, no hassle. And, I LOVED having the laundry room in our building. It was on the second floor. Although it's not my idea of fun to do laundry while on vacation, I liked being able to pack clean clothes on the return trip. We traveled with my mom and her sister, both in their upper 60s, my cousin, and our children--two seven year olds and one ten year old. Having access to the monorail and being within walking distance of Magic Kingdom was priceless (especially in the August heat). At one point I had to go back to the room to retrieve a necklace and it only took 25 minutes (including the walk back to the Magic Kingdom). Kudos to the staff as well...I lost a necklace belonging to one of my girls. She was going to wear it at their princess lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table. A guest or cast member must have turned it in and I was able to retrieve it from the Lost and Found. Many thanks to the cast members for returning the necklace to me! Finally, I will say that the bathrooms are lovely but could use some additional storage/counter space for toiletries. Since I had read about this issue, I took a disposable shoe rack with us, the kind that holds about 18 pairs of shoes and can hang over the back of a door. Although the hooks would not actually fit over the back of a door, we did hang it over a lamp shade and it worked quite well. We just organized all of our toiletries there.

St. Pete Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

One of the first resorts on Disney World Property! How could you not want to stay here? Monorail goes through the resort and walking distance to the Magic Kingdom! Fabulous water taxis, monorail and buses and a fabulous walk to the MK ... what a great way to start your Disney day! Great views of the MK, Chef Mickey's for breakfast is a great thing to do! Lots to see and do at this property, along with meeting facilities and great coffee to start your day! Spend some time in the shops, wander around outside, enjoy the water sports, have a cool cocktail outside, take great photos and wander to Bay Lake Tower, the DVC property of WDW. If you're lucky enough to visit during the holidays, be sure to spend time here! Grab your camera and enjoy the moments regardless of what time of year you are here!

Room Tip: Views of the MK
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I hadn't been to Disneyworld in 21 years, so I wanted a property in a good location. We were in the Garden area, which was very quiet and our window had a nice view of a lake. The staff was excellent, the beds were comfortable and the room was spacious. There were just two big problems...the room was very dark and the bathroom design was one of the worst I've seen and I have travelled a lot! Even with every light on, it was still hard to see in the room, it was just dark. But the real problem was the bathroom. There were two huge square sinks that took up most of the bathroom. The sinks were completely flat on the bottom so the dirty water didn't drain out, it would "puddle" and sit in the basin. The only way to get it out was to clean the sinks daily, something I don't feel like doing on vacation. Also, the only shelf in the bathroom was six inches above the floor, so every time you want to grab something you had to bend down to the floor! My daughter came up with a great idea, just wipe down one of the sinks and use it as a shelf. That worked great! I don't know if I would stay here again. You are just minutes from the Magic Kingdom via the Monorail, which is a great perk. I just wish the hotel would change the décor of the rooms to something more functional.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

There is a fight for elevators at this place. People will ride up to go down because they don't want to wait. Which means people wanting to go up will be stuck waiting forever.

ALSO, the monorail starts up at 8:30 but they do not tell you it's not going past the transportation center until 9:00 a.m. They do not tell you that you will have to get off the monorail to get on a bus (making you miss rope drop). When you ask why at the transportation center they tell you the hotel should have advised of the schedule change. When you ask the hotel they tell you it was posted (it wasn't).

Bluefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

This was our first Disney Resort experience and it was by far the best yet! The room was clean with a great view of the pool area and the lake. Very clean and comfortable with easy access to the elevators. Our room was on the ninth floor, so it wasn't loud or congested at all. We loved The Contemporary Cafe. Great food, great choices and you didn't need reservations! Plus. having the monorail come through the hotel was awesome! You could also walk to the Magic Kingdom if you desire, it was only a few minutes walk to the front gate!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I had planned this small mini vacation for myself, my wife and two kids 4 and almost 2. We are Annual Pass Holders and I took advantage of a promotion they had for 35% off rooms from late July through the end of August. I originally reserved a Garden Wing room but after about 4 hours of mulling it over decided to splurge on a tower room with Bay Lake view.

We arrived at 6:45 AM on Thursday 8/21 (we only live 15 minutes from Disney) and the place was like a ghost town except for the Cast Members working. I did the online check in and went to the desk that had the online check in sign on it. The Cast Member said there was an issue and asked if I could follow him. He took my family to the elevator and proceeded to take us to the 12th floor. Evidently one of my customers that I had talked to prior to our trip had gotten my last name and had us upgraded to the Concierge level. What a blessing and what a great time.

Some people may get to experience things like this regularly but for us we felt like royalty. Anything we needed or wanted they were always ready to help. The free breakfast, though not extravagant, was more than plenty for our family each morning. I wish I could remember all names of great Cast Members we met from the bell hops to the management, everyone was pure class. The first night my wife and son were tired so they went to bed after dinner while my daughter and I played in the arcade then went and had some dessert and watched the fireworks from the 12th floor balcony.

The next day I asked if my parents could come up while we got the kids ready. My parents were taking them to 1900 Park Fare while we went out on a date. The lady we talked to was almost taken aback that we asked but told us absolutely that they were more than welcome to be our guests there. My dad was very impressed with the service and the Hors d'oeuvres were incredible. They brought the kids back to the room and took them to watch the movie downstairs for a bit until we got back. We got back around 9:15 so instead of them going back over to Fort Wilderness right away they stayed and watched the fireworks with us.

Next day was more of the same friendliness from the staff that we had come to expect all the way through to our departure. I could not have asked for a better time. The only issue which really wasn't an issue was the chlorine level in the pool and some of the stuff at the kid splash pad was broken.

Other than that for a resort that is 43 years old this place is really magical.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Been to Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!