“Overpriced but great location and clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Contemporary Resort

You added Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Contemporary Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #146 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
new jersey
“Overpriced but great location and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

3 night stay. It was clean and rooms were spacious with a single bed pull out couch. We had 2 kids 3&4 with us. The pool was nice with a huge water slide and it was safe for my 4 year old to go down. My 3 year old went down once with daddy but got yelled at for going 2 at a time. The pool is swarmed with lifeguards constantly watching almost a nuisance. The pool was never really that crowded and it was nice to hang out there after the parks. The food by the pool was ok and Cali grill was excellent. Lucky we had reservations bc it was so busy the week we were there we couldn't get into the wave the whole stay. Great location good food but I am not sure it's worth the price. My in laws paid for half otherwise way too much money to spend. We stayed at the Hilton before it was further but the price was way better.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was my 10th trip to Disney and I have stayed at value, moderate and deluxe properties in the past. This time I was traveling with someone who was attending a conference at the Contemporary and able to take advantage of a conference rate for a Garden Wing Standard View room. The price was excellent but the experience was not deluxe. As others have mentioned although all of the rooms have been recently refurbished there are some serious quirks. As previously mentioned the sinks are horrible. In the bathroom there is no where near the shower to hang/put a bath towel and/or clothes. There is no clothes line in the shower. The AC is very loud. In the whole Garden Wing there is only one elevator and it happened to be no where near our room. We found the hallways of the Garden Wing to be dark and creepy and the staircases to exit the building would remind you of a back staircase in a 1970s era college dorm. The whole pool area should be blown up and done over. It wasn't until day 3 of our stay that we figured out there was a boat we could take over to the Wilderness Lodge. For whatever reason there was no transportation information in our check-in packets and the front desk didn't volunteer any transportation information. We had multiple problems with our Magic Bands and it took the front desk many minutes to straighten each problem out. It seems to me that Disney needs to straighten out the technology or better train the cast members because we wasted a lot of time during our stay getting the Magic Bands to work entering the hotel rooms and parks. If you are looking for a special/magical experience this is not the place and as others have said it is not a Disney Deluxe experience. Unless you get a fantastic price I would stay at another property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the convenience of having the monorail come right up to the resort. That alone is worth the stay! However, there is so much more in this resort's favor. Our room was clean and had plenty of storage. The décor is modern, and the room included a hair dryer, safe, and refrigerator, as well as a balcony overlooking the lake. I do wish they had more counter space in the bathroom instead of two large sinks, but there is storage under the sinks to place items. The staff honored our privacy sign throughout the trip. It was very quiet in our room and in the hall even during the busy times. The entire hotel was kept very clean. It was the staff that really made this stay a pleasurable one. Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. Expect a smile and a greeting from every staff member you encounter. There is no wrong choice when it comes to dining in any of the hotel restaurants. I recommend the breakfast buffet at Chef Mickey's, and dinner at The Wave of American Flavors. Definitely set up reservations months in advance! There are stores in the hotel for souvenirs, or if you forget anything. The pools and waterslide, as well as hot tubs are perfect for the children. There is even a sand beach for relaxing. The lawn chairs may be a bit low for people with joint problems to get in and out of, though. There are plenty of lifeguards on duty, and they are all very well trained and extremely vigilant. I was very impressed during my visit, and would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a worry free and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: They have a light and music show after the fireworks in Epcot at night, so I would recommend getting...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Grayslake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We have stayed at the Contemporary for the past 4 visits to WDW. The customer service is excellent-the location is fantastic-and we have nothng but rave reviews. They acccomodate each member in your party and really make your stay a pleasure. Easy walk to the Magic Kingdom and with having the monorail right there in the hotel it is a real treat and added bonus!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The view is amazing from this hotel as the Magic Kingdom is the backdrop to your view. The hotel is one of a kind and a marvel of its time as the Monorail system goes directly through the hotel. The hotel is designed with the highest of class you would expect of a Disney resort. The attention to detail is amazing and you feel like royalty. You can walk to the magic kingdom but I have to admit the bus service is slower to other locations than some of the other Disney properties I have stayed at. I would recommend this for a honeymoon, anniversary, or other couple celebrations. Not much to benefit from with kids at this property and pretty expensive. Otherwise it is an awesome resort!

Room Tip: ask for a magic kingdom side with a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my 26th birthday and it was truly magical! From the moment we checked in the staff members were all so friendly and helpful. We decided since it was a special occasion, we would book the theme park view room which is very expensive especially during peak times which it was. That view was worth every penny. Amazing is the only was to describe. Waking up each morning and hearing the disney train and boats go by and looking out the blinds to see the castle space mountain thunder mountain and the astro orbiter was priceless. It made it so authentic, we were at disney!!! I felt like i could throw a ball and hit space mountain we were so close. We had a room on the 11th floor, ask for a high floor if you choose this view. Watching the fireworks from the room was the most magical thing. I felt like i was inside of the fireworks they were so close. And something you dont notice while in the park watching them, they come from all around!! So some were closer than others but it was very cool to see from a different perspective. The room was modern, decorated well and very nice Spacious and clean. The beds were very comfortable, and despite other reviews our room was very quiet. We were not on the chef mickey side, i think thats where its loudest. We were almost directly above the gift shop. Anyways, the monorail runs right through the hotel and comes very often. I cant say enough wonderful things about this hotel. My only minor complaint was the bartender at the outer rim was not friendly and it was the only bar other than at the restaurants in the hotel. Also Chef Mickeys is a waste of money horrible food but great for children wanting to meet the characters. All in all it was a FANTASTIC trip and i would 110% stay at this resort again, and FOR SURE book the theme park view room!!! WOW!!!! :)

Room Tip: Book a theme park view room on a high floor!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kankakee, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I dreamed of staying at the Contemporary since my first vacation to WDW in 1977, when we stayed in a tent at Fort Wilderness. Now a very budget conscious adult, I chose Pop Century for my own family trip four years ago and was very well pleased with the value.

I tell you the back story because these TripAdvsior reviews have a lot to do with your point of view. I am just the common folk and perhaps not of the "class" that some of the other reviewers want to rub elbows with at this high end property.

To my humble eye, the Contemporary is still amazing and gorgeous, inside and out. The rooms are chic with all kinds of nifty light fixtures everywhere I turned. Thankfully the nasty old Mickey Mouse shampoo (really my only WDW resort complaint) has been upgraded to H20+ amenities.

Outside the room, this is a true resort. Multiple top-quality dining options, sparkling pools, white sand beach, marina, daily guided kids' activities, breathtaking views of: Bay Lake, Fireworks, Electric Water Pageant, Magic Kingdom, the rest of Disney World, even a far off view of IllumiNations.

The transportation convenience is absolutely second to none anywhere at Disney World. You can WALK to the Magic Kingdom. This is the one and only resort offering this proximity. Or you can take the iconic Monorail that runs right through the atrium - another Contemporary exclusive. During my convention visit, the place was swarming with families attending the Not So Scary Halloween Party. Very smart for the fast access back to the room with sleepy kiddies late at night.

I confess that I prefer the exuberant theming and amazing value of the economy options like the All Stars, Pop Century, and the Art of Animation resort. However there are far fewer services there, transportation is much less convenient, and to be blunt, it is full of tourists like me, working class Joes in saggy shorts and tank tops! :)

In short, I loved my stay. Thank you Disney for giving kids dreams and making them come true!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!