“Can't beat the location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Contemporary Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Contemporary Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #133 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Fort Myers, Florida
“Can't beat the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed here while my husband attended a conference. Had a beautiful view of Bay Lake, and although their systems were down for the whole first day we were there the staff was very accommodating,. The only complaint is that when we called and asked if we could have a late check-out no one called us back. We even called back a second time and were told someone would call but they never did. Have stayed at Disney many times and this is the only time this happened.

1,504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Florida City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel opened in 1971 with the Magic Kingdom...and it looks brand new. Everything is fresh and totally modem for today. We had a great time the room was excellent. You do pay for this $$$. There are so many things to do that you don't even need to go to the parks.

If you stay multiple days, buy the refillable mug in the café - you will safe a lot of money on drinks.

The front desk clerk was the best I have ever met - Dianne!

Meridian, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am a mom of four ages 7 to 15. My boys are the older two my girls are the younger, with my youngest having a severe mobility disability. I cannot say enough about how smoothly our vacation of 5 days went. The location was my biggest motivation for staying here because of our little one. However that being said everything else from check-in to cleanliness, room service to marina service, pools to restaurants were absolutely wonderful! My youngest did not ever have to leave her stroller wheel chair when boarding the monorail and my teens thought it was super cool to have access to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot so readily available. When my youngest had enough for the day my older kids were still able to go back and enjoy the park. The monorail is a very safe environment as a means of travel for teens as long as you can trust them. On the other hand the walk to Magic kingdom was shorter than the monorail ride at the busiest times of the day. The Contemporary has a side walk that literally goes from front doors to entrance gates, you can't beat that with a disabled child in tow. As for my girls they received the royal treatment wherever they went. I cannot say enough good things about Disney when it comes to customer service my only word would be perfection! If you are on the fence about where to stay look no further. We did everything at the contemporary restaurants, marina motor boats, the pools, the lounge, the shopping, the nightly movies on the beach, the arcade! My kids had the time of their lives. From my picky moody teenager to my princesses! Their smiles and gratitude were priceless!

Room Tip: Make reservations with a travel agent. I believe it makes a difference. We got exactly what we ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

There was a time at Walt Disney World when you would NEVER see a maintenance worker, landscaper, painter, etc. working during the day. All maintenance was done at night, discretely.

Not any more; there's a huge crane on the north side of the hotel, the California Grill is being renovated. The parking lot is being resurfaced; and, there are parts of the parking lot closed to handle all of the road equipment. Check-in was difficult, as they had shut down one lane leading into the property.

Maintenance issues abound, from broken electrical outlets, to plumbing fixtures pulled off the wall, to rusted metal on the drop-ceiling; and room furnishings beginning to fail from too much use. They were replacing A/C filters all week on our floor (how long should THAT take?); and, re-wall papering across the way on another floor.

On the plus-side, if you go to the north stair well (either side), you will get the BEST view of the fire works at Magic Kingdome each night. All of the staff were welcoming and friendly; although, some were not as knowledgeable as they could be. The electric boat parade arrives nightly, just a few minutes after the fire works; and, if you have a lakeside view, it's quite a nostalgic treat!

I was here for a conference; and, received a very discounted rate. Parking was a nightmare, as the conference attendees filled up the resort parking lot, instead of being directed to the convention center parking lot (sigh). Had I paid full-price, I would have rated this stay much lower.

Room Tip: Beware if you want to take a trip off-property (for a meal, or coffee) it's going to take at lea...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I accompanied my husband for a conference at this hotel in April and brought our nearly two year old son. I’ve stayed at several of the WDW resorts over the last 15 years, but this was my first at the Contemporary. We were only there for 3 nights and did not have the park hopper. It would have been a wasted of $ for Epcot and even Animal Kingdom; he barely made it through H.S.

I had read other reviews about the poor state of rooms, however our room was great! We had a first floor, Garden room, over looking the lake. For us, this worked well since our son took a nap every afternoon and it was very quiet- even with the boat horns every five minutes. The double room was spacious, with a pull-out sofa and a desk that attached to the width of the room. We wedged the full sized crib between the bed and the desk, propped up the ironing board, threw a towel over it, and made a wall out of the many extra pillows to make a “room” for our son. The room was clean too. The bathroom was nice, but the sinks are horrible! The basin was the whole counter and there was a tiny bit of space to put your toothbrush! The towel rack was far from the tub, which seems to be a design glitch. Also, around 10:10pm we could watch the water parade from our window.

The Garden Wing is a bit of a hike to the main building. That could get old if you have more than one child to lug around. However, we were only a few steps from the beach. The conference center is only accessible through the main building, which is a shame.

The pool was cold while we were there, but we suffered through it. I prefer a zero depth entry pool with young children, but the older children who were there seemed to enjoy the water slide a lot. It is nice to have the beach option.

The best part of the hotel is the location to Magic Kingdom! You can’t beat it with very young children. We would stop by the lobby coffee shop, grab some muffins and eat them on the ten-minute walk to the MK. We arrived as it opened, took the monorail back (the hotel is the first stop back from the MK) for nap, then walked back in the afternoon.

Cons: nothing magical about this hotel, it’s just a hotel. The buses to all the parks go to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. That means when you have a very tired child, it can feel like forever to get home. Only the Contempo Café actually produced decent food. Even the Waves was just ok and over priced. Stay away from the pool café.

Would I have paid full price for this hotel? Definitely not. Pretty much, all the other WDW properties have some “Disney magic” except the Contemporary. This is for adults. However, with the very young, it’s extremely convenient. So, what to do? If your children are under 3/still taking naps and you can find a good deal (and you only plan to go to MK and maybe one other park), then go for it! Otherwise, find a different WDW resort to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Burleson, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We returned to WDW again this year. Last year we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and absolutely loved it. I must used a scooter so we decided to stay on the Monorail this year because it would make using the scooter much easier than having to take the bus everywhere. The hotel is an older hotel and the room we had definitely showed it's age. The keypad to get into the room kept falling off. We would put it back - housekeeping would put it back - room service would put it back. It was an ongoing problem. When I mentioned it to the front desk, I was told that people try to steal them (looked like Mickey Mouse).

We reserved a Magic Kingdom view, which we got. However, we couldn't see much as the angle of the room showed more of Bay Lake than it did the Magic Kingdom. Had I known that, I would have reserved a Bay Lake view which was much less expensive.

The best restaurant in the hotel (California Grill) was closed for renovations. We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan which would have covered the complete meal. We ended up eating a lot in the "Quick Service" a lot (wasting money I spent to be on the dining plan). The other restaurant, The Wave, was ok but didn't open early enough to eat and get out of there for the parks. Also, the menu selection was poor and the breakfast buffet really wasn't that good.

As I mentioned in the beginning, we reserved this hotel due to it being on the Monorail so I wouldn't have transportation problems. We had arrived on a Sunday afternoon. The elevator was broken until Tuesday evening. We ended up having to take a bus for almost three days anyway. When I spoke to the front desk about the elevator situation and asked how much longer it was going to be down, the person I talked to was rather rude and said something like, "these things happen." I asked for the manager who offered to move us to one of the other hotels. We declined because the room classification would be less (even at the Grand Floridian, a beautiful hotel). Additionally, my granddaughter wanted a hotel with a nice pool slide. The main pool, which has a slide, at the Grand Floridian was under renovation. I really don't like the Polynesian because it is so spread out. Our room classification there would have also been downgraded from the classification I had paid for.

We were on the 11th floor so didn't have a noise problem from Chef Mickey's. The only time we heard the noise was actually going to our room. Once we were inside, no noise.

We will be returning to WDW again next year. However, I will not choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you must go to this hotel, try to get a room with a view of the Magic Kingdom. They cost more an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Best location, best views, great accommodations, and excellent conveniences. Our minor problems of the door lock needing a new battery, a slow draining sink, and a refrigerator needing replaced paled in comparison to the outstanding services, staff, and value of the Contemporary Resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!