“Great place to stay while visiting Disney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Contemporary Resort

You added Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Contemporary Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #135 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place to stay while visiting Disney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the Contemporary resort in November for a Healthcare Conference. While I didn't get a chance to visit Disney World, the entrance was in walking distance from the property and for those that can't walk the distance or choose note to the monorail that runs right through the Contemporary resort can take you there as well. The bus system available to those staying at Disney resorts is amazing - you really don't need a car. I made multiple trips to downtown Disney using the free bus service. As for the hotel itself it was nice to find a "Contemporary" looking property and rooms at Disney instead of the various other themed ones, especially since I was travelling alone for business. The rooms are very decent sized and clean. Decor is a little banged up but nothing to raise concern. The only issue is that it can be a long walk to your room from the main lobby/restaurant area if you are staying in the lowrise portion behind the main building. Pool area looked amazing though I didn't get a chance to use it.

Room Tip: Try and request one in the main tower (the building where the monorail runs through) to avoid a long...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here while attending a IT conference. It is certainly a really nice hotel which is connected to the mono rail to get around the resort. The pool and gym are good. Restaurant is expensive.

Hotel staff are friendly, rooms are clean and well maintained. Its a good choice for the business traveller, decor doesn't have any of the disney theme colors.

Drawback is there is nothing in walking distance of the hotel, you pretty much have to drive around or take the monorail.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed for two nights at this hotel, great location for Magic Kingdom, shuttle service to other parks which was regular and efficient but very busy at certain times. Room basic but clean, staff always pleasant and helpful. Reported problem with sink to housekeeping which was fixed the same day. Seems to be very popular with families with the restaurant areas always teaming with kids, but had no noise issues actually in the room itself.

We opted for the Deluxe dining plan and felt that we did get our moneys worth overall. Dined at The Californian Grill at the hotel, Rose and Crown, Epcot and The Brown Derby at the studio's, received great service and food at both. The only issue was that we had to book the restaurants weeks in advance with limited knowledge, although guest relations were able to assist us with changing a booking so may be worth checking with them if you have difficulty getting your first choice.

Overall a pleasant stay but not a cheap one, you are paying a boutique hotel price for a room that does not get anywhere near that standard, but then you are in the heart of Disney!! If I was doing it again I think I would rather pay the same money for a luxury hotel outside of Disney and travel in!

Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

FIRST OF ALL ALL OF THESE NEGATIVE REVIEWS THAT PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN ARE SO BOGUS THAT THEY COULD BE PUT UP IN THE RITZ CARLTON THEY STILL WOULDN'T BE HAPPY!!!!!!

My Boyfriend and I stayed November 23- November 27 2012, original reservations (1) night at the All Star Sports ( room only) and 3 nights at the Contemporary Bay lake Tower view with dining plan, 3 day tickets with park hopper. We first went to the All Star Sports for out one night stay and met the manager KEITH who realized this was my dream trip for my 50th birthday and upgraded us from our one night at the All Star to the Contemporary Bay Lake tower view. I wanted to hug him I was so happy and shocked. We drove over to the Contemporary and checked in at 3:00 pm. We stayed in room 4401 facing Bay Lake in the main tower, and our room was right above Chef Mickey's. As soon as we walked into the room I was shocked at how nice the room was.

ROOM: Room 4401 (8th floor) 2 queen beds, very large sleeping area, very comfortable beds, 5 comfy pillows per bed, nice reading lights above bed, very large balcony with 2 chairs and a table over looking the pool and Bay lake, comfy pull out sofa for extra seating and we put our huge suitcases on it , loved the flat screen TV, large desk and chair with multiple outlets for charging our camera, 2 cell phones and PC. There were 2 closets, safe, iron and board, fridge, good space to put our drinks, snacks we brought, and nice coffee maker.
The bathroom was really upscale. I love the sliding door into the bathroom with glass panels, 2 huge sinks ( I am confused because I have seen a few comments about the sinks and how the water splashes all over, NOT TRUE) and a nice vanity with room between the sinks and alot of storage underneath, nice makeup mirror, two light settings, nice tub/shower and the shower head was great and powerful for a nice shower. I loved the H2O shampoo, conditioner and soap, the toilet area is separated by another sliding door for privacy and roomy.
FYI.....As I said before our room was on the 8th right above Chef Mickey's on the 4th floor and to perfectly honest, I can say that the door shut so tightly on the room that I can only think of an extremely vague sound coming from Chef Mickey's. In fact it was perfect timing for us to get up, have coffee/tea, a shower and have breakfast and get on the monorail to start our day at Disney. I HAVE READ ALL OF THESE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ON HOW LOUD IT WAS AND EVEN HOW LOUD THE MONORAIL WAS THEY ARE ALL LYING!!!!!!

CONTEMPORARY: I am 50 years old and I went to Walt Disney World when I was 9 the first year they opened in 1971. I always dreamed of going to the Contemporary and staying there. I have to tell you the hotel is everything and more than I could have ever expected!
The hotel is beautiful and well kept up. The lobby was beautifully decorated but the only thing that bothered me were about 6 teenagers almost laying on the sofas and two of them actually had their shoes on the sofa. I am not sure where they are from or their background but they sure were not taught manners and how to not lounge and put their shoes on others furniture.
The check in was swift and really friendly service, we were checked in in about 5 minutes total. ( I did on line check in)
After a long day at the park and back at the hotel I went the the 4th floor deck ( the walk way to Bay Lake Tower) and just stood there amazed at the view of space mountain and the mesmerizing castle as it changed colors.
Also the walk from the hotel to Magic Kingdom is a breeze especially when the monorail and buses are full. It took about 5 minutes, a nice walk ...

ELEVATORS: The Contemporary runs very efficiently. I have seen so many complaints ( not sure why) about waiting time . We never waited ever more than 1 minute for an elevator. DON"T BELIEVE THE BOGUS REMARKS THAT PEOPLE LEAVE, THERE JUST UNHAPPY PEOPLE!!!

DINING: We ate breakfast at Contempo Cafe every morning and it was very efficient as you order your meal from a very user friendly kiosk, then you pay the cashier and get a pager. It can get busy in the dining room but we always seemed to get a table as we waited for the pager to go off, this gave us time to rinse off our re-fillable resort mug in the designated sink supplied, there was a large variety of soft drinks, coffee, hot chocolate, hot tea and iced tea, get our napkins, condiments and utensils. In no time our warm breakfast was ready. One day we had the breakfast sandwich which was really good, one day we had the bounty platter which was a lot of food and tasty, and we also had the french toast with bacon and it was also good.

For a late night snack the Contempo Cafe can't be beat. I got the hamburger one night and it hit the spot!

DINNERS: Our first night we ate at Downtown Disney at Raglan Road's Irish pub ( MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS MAKE A RESERVATION) Love the atmosphere, love the clogging, love the live Irish band, great food and service. This was our 3rd time there and last year we chatted with one of the band members Colin. We were sitting right in front watching the band and eating, when the band took a break one of the members Colin walks up to our table and said he remembered talking to us last year, how nice of him, when we left we said we'll see you next year.

We ate at Chefs de France for our first meal in the parks and as usual it was just that good. Of course we had a reservation and only waited 2 minutes to be seated. The atmosphere reminded me of being in an upscale French restaurant in France. Our waiter was Lidio and he was so nice and what great service we had. I had the Prix Fixe menu ( which was on the dining plan) French onion soup, Beef short ribs and Cream puff with ice cream and chocolate sauce, my boyfriend had duck breast and leg confit and sorbet. Lidio has worked there for many years and we told him we will ask for him when we go next year.
We ate at The Grand Floridian Cafe, my boyfriend had the Grand Floridian Burger with lobster on it and I had the caramelized Onion Soup au Gratin and pasta with chicken in a cream sauce, all of them were awesome.
We also ate in Germany at Biergarten, which was all you can eat German buffet....EVERYTHING was great and our waiter Christopher was really on spot. They also had a live Bavarian band and they really liven den up the crowd.

TOURS/EVENTS: We went on the 1 hour "Behind the Seeds Tour" in Epcot in "The Land" . The tour was very reasonable I think it was $18.00 pp and only 1 hour. The tour was really interesting and a nice way to see behind the scenes. The only issue was there were two other families with children and the adults just couldn't control their kids, the tour guide had to constantly tell the kids not to get off the path and not to touch the plants.

We went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and it was so beautiful walking down Main Street I just about wanted to cry, there was Christmas music playing, snow falling and it was packed full of people, the castle was all lite up and so beautiful. There were loads of people lining up already at 7pm for the 8:15 parade. HINT: go all the way back to Frontierland and sit along the sidewalk near Frontierland Shootin' Arcade and you will have a great seat, we got there about 45 minutes ahead. There are bathrooms near, hot chocolate and cookies are given out very close, and the best part is that the parade starts there and when it's over you can go on rides with no wait because all of the other thousand people are still awaiting the parade to approach main street and the castle.

We also went to the Holidays Around The World – Candlelight Processional . First we had our meal at Biergarten, the server gave us our sticker for the show and then got in line 1 hour before the 8:15 pm show. There was quite a line and with all of the people ahead of us I was afraid we were going to be sitting in an obscured view, not the case at all. The line started in the America Gardens theater the line we were in went all the way back to Japan. When we got to the theater we actually sat right in the center and about 10 rows back. The stage was decorated so beautiful, a choir, an orchestra and guest narrator Neil Patrick Harris who was great.
To top off every night we saw the fireworks in Epcot and a nice special touch they did for Christmas time... I'll leave that as a surprise.

TIPS:

Make a reservation for every meal B L D
Be prepared: umbrella, raincoat, sunscreen, water, jacket
For evenings in the winter time take a jacket in a bag and put in the locker at the front of the park in case
Get up early and stay out late
Make sure you get to MK early one day for the " rope drop" opening ceremony ..get there at 8:30am
Bring in a small bag or backpack: band aids, lotion, meds, Tylenol, glasses, tissues, hand sanitizer

HAVE A MAGICAL TRIP

DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO ANY OF THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS YOU HAVE SEEN ABOUT THE CONTEMPORARY, IT IS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE AND MY DREAM COME TRUE...can't wait to come back next year if I can afford it.

Birmingham, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Service was not spectacular. The front desk didn't offer that friendly disney attitude you would expect. And the concierge, Joeanne, she was unbearably rude. It was disappointing.

Room cleanliness was below average-dusty.

Location to magic kingdom & monorail, unbeatable! The best.

The food (quick service) available at the hotel's contempo cafe was very good.

Booked another trip back to Disney World this fall, but not at this resort.

• Stayed November 2012
Olney, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was a wonderful stay from Nov 1st until Nov 10th. Great service and meals. We are ate at Chef Mickey and also the hotel. We will go again as our 4 year old has asked can we live at the Contemporary again, WE did not get to use the pool as we forgot our suits but it was beautiful looking and we even took the boat ride to The Wildreness Lodge and saw a Bald Eagle. Staff were great and spacious. My one and only issue and I knew going in the bathrooms do not have a lot of upper counter space for personal stuff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at the Contemporary Resort in Mid-November. We booked a theme park view room as part of the premium dining package. We booked the same trip back in 2009 and had a decent room with a nice view, but we ended up getting very sick and were unable to leave the room so we thought we'd try it again this year. Not sure why, but we were upgraded to a spectacular suite on the club level floor overlooking the Magic Kingdom. The room had 3 balconies, included a living room area, dining room area, kitchen, and a separate bedroom. It also had 2 full bathrooms...one had a bathtub/shower combo and the other with a lovely marble/glass shower. Included with any club level room is the concierge service....a very friendly and helpful team that always made it a point to welcome us in the AM or PM and offer assistance whenever necessary. The snacks and wine that were served each evening were also a plus to being on the club floor. For anyone that hasn't stayed at the Contemporary or been through it on the monorail, the location simply can't be beat since the monorail literally comes in and out of the building. Unlike the other hotels on the monorail, it's all incorporated into one building which adds to the convenience factor. The view of the fireworks from the balcony, or the club level lobby, or the California Grill are all spectacular. This stay was just perfect !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!