“Great view, ok service, mediocre room...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Contemporary Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Contemporary Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #128 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Los Angeles, California
“Great view, ok service, mediocre room...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

So in planning our honeymoon we decided that a Tower Room with a Theme Park View would be a great idea despite the nearly $600 a night price tag for a basic four walls room.

At check-in I asked the front desk agent about availability and pricing for an upgrade to a concierge level room. He had no clue. After a 10 minute conversation with someone on the phone and a taking a half page of notes we were told there was no availability. He then proceeded to take FOREVER to check us into our room. We had just gotten off of a rather long flight from the west coast and we had no desire to spend 20 minutes (which was exactly how long it took, no exaggeration) standing at the front desk while this guy took his sweet time.

Once keys were issued I sent my partner up to the room while I took care of the park tickets. The lobby concierge was truly exceptional. He made the process fast and efficient and made sure that I was fully taken care of. He was definitely true Disney style.

We were assigned a 2 double room, despite having requested a king room. 2 people do not need two beds. I called the front desk to see if a move was possible and was informed that there were a total of 4 king rooms in the entire hotel and they were all occupied.

The beds were by far the most uncomfortable I've ever had the displeasure of sleeping in. $600 a night for a room and you can't splurge on decent mattresses? It was like sleeping on a rock, with slightly more dense rocks as pillows. Don't expect a good night of sleep.

The bathroom was all but non-functional. Tiny shower, shallow (but massively wide) sinks that splash water everywhere that were 3 feet off the ground, and a toilet with a flush that could wake the dead. The lack of counter space was also a bit frustrating. Having to keep my toiletries on the wet bar outside was annoying.

In the end it was a place to keep our stuff and pass out at the end of a long day in the parks. You can get the same quality of room staying in the All Stars or Pop Century for a quarter of the cost.

The one thing I must rave about is the view of the Magic Kingdom. We watched the fireworks from our room and we couldn't have had a better seat. It wasn't worth $600 a night, but still was spectacular.

Room Tip: Unless you have piles of money to burn, or are celebrating a special occasion, stay at a less expens...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is my 5th visit to Disney World properties over 15 years. We have stayed multiple times at Coronado Springs and the Hilton (just outside Disney) and thought I would try a new place so opted for the Contemporary Resort. My general impression is that Disney is not keeping up with the "wow" factor and attention to detail and service that other hotels in its price range. The guest areas were just average with ripples and signs of wear in the hallway carpets. The custodian areas were left open with carts all over the place. I noted some supplies laying in a corner near the elevator the entire time I was there (5 nights). Upon returning to the room after our first night we found our room hadn't been cleaned nor room service dishes cleared. We called housekeeping and were told they would clean the room but I WOULD have to call private dining to get the dishes. They NEVER replaced supplies (coffee) the entire time. Just lots of little things. The only good things were transportation and proximity to theme parks--but ambiance and service must've been on vacation at another hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We finally managed to stay here on our most recent trip to WDW (yearly visitors from the UK) and we loved it. Although our room seemed to be the furthest from reception, our ground floor opened right onto the lake so had a lovely view and patio to sit out on when we were relaxing in the room. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was huge, bed was so comfy and we loved the seperate bathroom from toilet area (had a seperating door) We had dinner in California Grill one night and it was fabulous. The server we had (Jenny O.) was WONDERFUL and the food was absolutely lovely. Seeing Wishes from the rooftop was also a very cool experience. We love Chef Mickey for a character meal and the Contemp Cafe was great for a quick breakfast (if you got there before it gets packed) before walking to MK or catching the Monorail. Definately recommend this and look forward to staying there again soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Since I was a little girl on my first trip to Disney, the Contemporary has been my vacation home. And now, thanks to the Disney Vacation Club, I OWN part of it! But the main hotel is definitely the place to stay if you want the best of the best Disney experience. It's within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom and there's a Monorail going right through the hotel. The Lake is perfect for sunbathing and renting boats or waterskiing with Sammy Duval's excellent staff, and the pool is awesome too. Character dining at Chef Mickey's is a must-do experience (breakfast is best) and the California Grill is the best restaurant in Disney World (second only to Club 33 in Disneyland as far as Disney restaurants go and just a hair better than the Blue Lagoons in Anaheim and Paris). I've stayed other places but the Contemporary is still my fave.

Room Tip: Get a parkside room and watch the fireworks or a ground level lagoon-side room for a unique experien...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Olney, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the Contemporary from November 1-10. We had done the on-line check-in before arriving and we got off the bus and were checked into our room in less than 5 minutes. It was nice to be greeted with a welcome home. We arrived at the hotel around 10:30 AM and our room was waiting for us and the request we had made were granted us. We had a higher floor and 2 queen beds. We ran upstairs and dropped our carry-on luggage off and went to the Magic Kingdom. We returned to our room around I checked my cell phone and found a message from our airline about some luggage that was in their office at the airport. I called the airline and got a recording so I called the desk and was talking to the luggage people when there was a knock on our door and they had already went to find our last bag and had it delivered to us.

To address some of the things that I had read that were negatives about the hotel. The lack of counter space in the bathroom and the funky flat sinks. There is a shelf that runs under the sinks that is about 5 foot long and a foot deep. We had plenty of counter space we just had to reach down to get the things that were under on this shelf. Not a big deal at all. The noise from the monorail and chef mickey could be heard but it did not prevent us from sleeping. Our room was clean every day, we were always pleased with the cleanliness. The elevators, the longest we waited was maybe 3 minutes and that was only when we had arrived at a time when there was a huge crowd.

My last impression from this hotel was on our last day when my daughter had become sick. We were supposed to have breakfast at the castle on our last morning here at 8 AM. My daughter had spiked a pretty high fever over night and there was no way for me to cancel our reservation for the next morning. When I went to the concierge desk and explained the situation they took care of everything with this including making sure I was not charged the cancellation fee or charged for the meal. They went above and beyond to try to work with us and gave us a late checkout on a busy Saturday to allow us some extra time to have my daughter get some extra rest before our flight home.

The location can not be beat if you have little ones that you are taking to the Magic Kingdom. With a four year old it would take us less than ten minutes to walk in and being the first stop on the monorail on the way back is great. Even if you do not get a magic kingdom view there are plenty of places that you can watch the fireworks every night. We went out onto the landing at the end of the hall and just held the door open and were able to watch the fireworks from there every night. We cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a Disney Institute Course.
One great feature of staying in a Disney property is that you can use the complimentary transportation.
Upon my arrival at Orlando Airport, the Disney Magical Express transportation system worked just fine.
As soon as I hopped off the bus there was a "curb representative" to welcome: "Mrs Gualberto, be welcome to Disney Contemporary Resort".
He walked me to the Reception Desk and introduced me to the desk clerk.
So far so good, however, because of a system problem, my check in took 35 minutes to be completed.
I stayed at one of the Garden Rooms, I had a nice view of the lake and the pool.
The room was very spacious, and clean (to oppose to some comments found here).
During the five nights, there were no consistency on the replenish of the amenities. And I don't know why, my pj was always unfolded laying around some place random than the bed.
Next to the bed there is an iPod dock, iHome. Very useful!!
The interactions I had with the concierge or lobby greeters were very good.
They even squeezed me in for a dinner reservation at the French Restaurant in Epcot.
The fact that the monorail is right there helps a lot moving around the resort.
At night you can watch from the window a river parade, real nice.
Overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We are staying in rm 4212. We checked in yesterday afternoon and were welcomed by a pleasant cast member. Our room was not ready so we asked about leaving a handbag with the hotel. The desk agent pointed to the bell desk and said they would take it. We approached the bell desk and asked them about the bag, instead of taking it from us, the lady told us to go outside and give it to valet. Valet accepted our bag and guess where they took it? Yes, to the bell desk. Not a magical moment. We then proceeded to the monorail. As we waited I overheard several of the attendants complaining to each other about their union. Again - not so magical. We returned to the hotel to find our room not having a working mini-fridge. I called down to have someone fix it. While we waited for someone to come up we noticed that the room was rather dirty. The headboards had stains and some fluids running down from the lightswitch. The window wall was extremely dusty. The carpet had fresh stains. The bathroom vents were clogged with dust. The bathroom door and walls had splash marks everywhere. I don't even want to imagine what it might be - urine, spit, toothpaste, etc. I called housekeeping to have them either bring me some cleaner and cloths or send a staff member to clean it. she said she would send someone. The maintenance person arrived 20 minutes later to tell me that yes they have this problem because the fridges are not placed properly. He said he would bring another one. At about 10:30 both housekeeping and maintenance showed up. However we were asleep. The next morning I called the front desk to shares issues and make sure they have the room deep cleaned. Tonight we returned to find the same issues. It's really disgusting. Considering how much this costs - it's totally unacceptable. I wish we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria like our last visit.

Disney is not what it once was. Cast members are no longer out to Wow. They are no just employees here to make a buck. The magic is really gone.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!