“Wonderful experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Contemporary Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Contemporary Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #131 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Lindenhurst, New York
“Wonderful experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our first trip to Disney with our 5 year old son. My parents came along to enjoy seeing the "magic" through their grandson's eyes. Everything was wonderful about this hotel. The location, the service, the friendly employees, the cleanliness...

My only gripe was the lady who checked us in was not clear how to find our room (it was in the Garden tower) being that we actually had to go outside to a different building than the lobby. And my mother had specifically requested to have rooms ajoining a year in advance and when we got there, the rooms were not connected even though they said they were. Too much confusion at check in basically was my only issue with the hotel.

The pool was clean and well managed but they really should have a lifegaurd at the top of the water slide to make sure the kids took their turns and followed the instructions on when to slide down. I was surprised they didnt.

I loved that they had seating available to watch the fireworks out on a balcony right near the little market on the 3rd or 4th (?) floor with the music piping through speakers for the nights you werent in the park.

The dining plan worked out for us SO well and the food was really delicious and varied.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

1,490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Ocala, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is, by far, the filthiest room I have ever stayed in.

I have wanted to stay at the "hotel in Disney World with the monorail running through it" since the 70's when I first went to Disney as a child. Fast forward 35+ years and my "dream" was realized. What a nightmare...sometimes the imagination is better than reality.

The only positives I can say about this dump is that the lobby smells nice and that the property is conveniently located to the Magic Kingdom.

Where to start with the negatives?? I'm not sure, because I was so blinded by disgust because of the condition of the room. There was not just "a hair" in the bathroom, but a wad of hair. Gag. The room hadn't been dusted in I don't know how long. The carpeting was stained. There was funk in the a/c vents. The paint was peeling. The concierge could not help get dinner reservations (her excuse was, "oops, the line is busy"). Really?

I truly cannot believe that this is one of Disney's upscale hotels. I would be happy to pay $600 for a room WORTH it, but I felt I needed a shower immediately upon check-out (and I had just showered).

It's interesting to me that management does not respond to the negative comments on here. It shows Disney just doesn't care. I believe my pictures speak for themselves.

Walt would not be happy!

Room Tip: A room that is clean would be an awesome find!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Okay so I would like to start this review off by saying that I think we must have stayed at a different resort than some other people on here..

We stayed from October 5th to 14th, family of five: two adults and three children ages 8, 6 and 3. After reading that staying in the garden wing with a pool view first floor is the best with young children I made the request before hand and was given exactly that. The room was clean, spacious and perfectly located. We could walk out our patio doors and go right to the pool. No elevators to wait for. Also the laundry facility is on the second floor of the garden wing, and this came in very handy. I read many complaints about the walk to the main building...are you kidding me? Under five minutes WITH the kids...after walking through magic kingdom all day, this is nothing.

The hotel itself is very nice. I did not find it outdated at all. We ate at Chef Mickeys and California Grill, both were very good. Pricey? Not for Disney...average cost for a stay on site.

The staff were nothing but friendly and helpful.

Being so close the Magic Kingdom was very special..kids loved it, and we were really grateful for the ease of getting back to the hotel.

The hotel was not dirty, at least not the nine days we stayed there. Our room was very clean, and cleaned daily. Always had fresh towels etc.

I would not hesitate to return, and would ask for the same garden room first floor with pool view, cannot be beat.

Room Tip: If you're going with children, strollers etc, first floor garden wing with pool view is optimal...
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I love The Contemporary. The rooms are nice and large and have been updated. The beds are very comfortable. This is not so in all Disney Resorts. We have stayed in many of them and some of them have very uncomfortable beds and rooms that are very small and uncomfortable. If you can splurge for this resort, it is well worth it. In addition to being on the monorail, which is priceless at the end of a long day with children, it is on the quiet side if you are in one of the outdoor buildings. However, if you are in the main tower, it is QUITE NOISY because of Chef Mickey. And the tower noise starts very early. SO my recommendation is to stay in the outdoor buildings. It's just to have a nice large, quiet, private room at the end of a very long day at Disney with kids.

I must now go into the bathroom. I am a stickler about a clean bathroom. I feel like I cannot get clean in a bathroom with someone else's hair all over the place. There was hair in the tub and hair on the floor and hair on the sinks. Also, there was red mold in the tub. And let us not forget the peeling white coating that was coming off the tub. For about 300.00 a night, these are things that I do not except to see. Especially if the hotel is a 4 star hotel. I promptly called downstairs and pressed for a credit. I did not want to move my whole family to another room and I did not want the incompetent housekeeping team to come to pretend clean the bathroom again. I wanted a credit and I wanted to clean it myself because I am sure that I know how to clean a bathroom. I was given a 100.00 credit. I nearly demanded it.

Room Tip: Choose an outdoor room unless you want Chef Mickey to wake you up with screaming babies.
York, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We just stayed at the Contemporary for 9 days. This hotel is great if you are traveling with young children b/c it is next door to the Magic Kingdom. The staff was helpful and friendly. Everything was fantastic regarding this hotel except the cleanliness of our room. It was filthy. There was dust and grime on every surface. It caked the air vents. It was stuck in the railings of the pocket doors. The desk area was gritty and sticky. The toilet was dirty and the shower had a mildew ring around the drain. There was part of a disposable razor left in the shower from the people that were there prior to us. Yuck! I can't even say enough to properly express the filth of the room. I even complained and was never even contacted in regards to this issue. Now that's magical!!! I was let down and expected more from Disney. Totally disappointed!

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Well, Contemporary is interesting...With the Monorail coming right in the middle and rooms on both sides of the huge open space, it really looks interesting. The first impression is a bit overwhelming - huge reception, a lot of staff and everything ready to manage big traffic. Kids running everywhere :-) Let's start with good things:
* Valet parking at 12USD per day, very reasonable
* Reasonable rate and a room key that serves as credit card in Disney World. Very dangerous as things are not cheap around and there is a lot of temptation if you come with your little ones - starting with Disney shopping arcade near Monorail station
* Monorail is great to move around
* The room is really good and comfortable
* You can check in for domestic flight at the stand outside the main entrance
Now not so good...
* The hotel is big and central elevators lack capacity. You have to wait noticeably long and the cabin arrives full very often
* My room faced the lake and there is a annoying very loud music boat show at 10.15pm every day...I could understand 7 or 8 but 10.15pm ? For the kids ?
* The bathroom is very modern but not practical at all. There is no countertop space to put your toiletries
* I was in the room 44xx on the 8 floor, not straight forward to remember
* I was there for a business conference and the facilities are very basic, I would expect a better standard then a small screen with projector on the table and cables everywhere. There was no technical staff around to assist if needed.
* The monorail does not have sufficient lighting inside and it is little creepy in the dark
Overall, it is solid but not deluxe hotel.

Room Tip: Get the room facing Magic Kingdom rather than the lake. It is quite far but you can see the castle a...
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that the staff were awesome across the board. They were friendly, outgoing and genuinely seemed happy to be there, which is really nice. My husband and I stayed at this resort for five nights in room 4605 on the 10th floor because it was the recommended hotel for a conference my husband was attending. I worked remotely from the room while my husband was attending conference sessions, and at night we tooled around Disney.

The good: This hotel is really convenient to EVERYTHING at Disney, and there is a monorail station within the hotel. There are EXTREMELY kid friendly dining options that are available from (I'm guessing) 7am till at least 9:30pm. There is also some little wacky water parade in the late evening which I thought was sort of cute, if a little bit odd in that it's all fish and not Disney characters. Also, the shuttle service from the airport was very easy to use and was fairly quick. I think my kids would have loved this place, and it would be convenient for parents whose kids can deal with the constant level of stimulation. The room we were in could have slept 7, but I'm not sure if the hotel allows that. Oh, and they have an outdoor running path that is marked and nice since I'd prefer to run outdoors as opposed to on a treadmill.

The bad: The aforementioned EXTREMELY kid friendly dining involves some type of singing and clapping, which I was able to hear ALL DAY LONG. It started at about 7am, and usually stopped at around 9:30pm or so. Since we were 6 floors above the dining area, I'm not convinced the noise could be escaped, so I didn't ask to be moved. The fold out couch was visibly stained, and one of the light bulbs was burnt out the entire time we were there. To be fair, that's minor, and I did not call to ask that it be fixed. But for 369 dollars a night, I just kind of expected that these minor things would have been taken care of without my intervention. The biggest negative is that their WiFi does NOT work with VPN authentication. The staff were super nice, but I had to spend the week tethered to my cell phone hotspot, which is NOT optimal for running webex meetings. And everything is incredibly expensive.

Bottom line: unless you're dying for the full Disney experience, have a ton of cash and don't mind spending it and certainly if you are traveling without kids, I'd probably avoid this resort. We stayed two extra nights so we checked out on Thursday and rented a three bedroom, three bathroom condo less than 3 miles away (last minute and we couldn't find anything smaller) for 79/a night, which is where we will be staying when I come back with the whole family. Please see my review of Sun Lake condos for additional details. Or maybe I won't post that review, since I want it to be available for me next time I'm in town. :)

Room Tip: 4605 has a nice view of the pool area and that wacky little water parade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!