“Last minute thumbs up” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Contemporary Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Contemporary Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Contemporary Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #131 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Last minute thumbs up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked a trip at almost the last minute, 2 weeks out. I wanted to stay in one of the Deluxe resorts and this was the ONLY place that had room without upgrading to club level, which I didn't need to do for just my 11 year old son and me. This was probably my last choice.
I was pleasantly surprised! Though they had told me there was only room in the garden wing, we were instead in the main tower on the 11th floor overlooking the bay. I can see where it would be nice to have a theme park view, but this was wonderful, we could see for miles! Though we were very park oriented and took advantage of the short walking path to the magic kingdom, we did spend time in the fun pool and play fountain area, and played a lot of football on the silky sandy beach area. We practically had it to ourselves! We never heard the monorail or Chef Mickey as other reviewers have mentioned, but we did hear the boat horn starting at 7am. It wasn't that loud and my son slept through it, but I did not.
We had no issues with housekeeping, everything was Disney clean. The bathrooms were a little funky, but I chalked it up to the "retro contemporary" decor.
I guess I still would prefer the other deluxe category resorts, but we had a great time, took advantage of the magic kingdom location and all the amenities the hotel had to offer. We even got into Chef mickey's character breakfast without a reservation, and only waited 20 minutes tops!
I did make one mistake: I signed up for the food plan for both of us. WAY too much food. We could have shared every meal, if that was allowed. Maybe that's partly why you see so many very large people. (Sorry)

Room Tip: Views over bay are also very nice! You are able to see Epcot fireworks in the distance from your bal...

1,488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Floral Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I made reservations well in advance for our visit to Orlando and Disneyworld, and while I was really hoping to get adjoining room for our families, it did not work out that way, it worked out slightly better.
We stayed in the Garden Rooms, and reqyested top floor, king size beds with a view, my daughter and her family stayed ACROSS the hall from us, and had a spectacular view of the bay, and the pool area, I had a view of the monorail and the parking lot.The king size beds were fabulous with lots of fluffy assorted pillow, our room had additional dresser space, their room did not, so as often happens, we faced advantages and disadvantages.
Check in was not as easy or effeciant as I expected, we arrived around 1:00, and had to wait for rooms to be available as expected, but had hoped otherwise.
The rooms were spacious, clean, and well equipped with coffe maker, refrigerstor, and toiletries.
The pool (s) were clean and fun, and large, with a great safe slide my 5 year old grandson loved, with water games, ping pong, and a pool table, great!
If and when I return to Disney , I would however pay a little more and stay in the main hotel, or the Bay Towers, it would have easier access to the monorail, and main lobby.
It was a great stay, thumbs up to housekeeping, etc..except for the check in, and one less than hospitable phone receptionist who said "I got what I paid for", when I asked about switching the room because of my parking lot view, I would recommend the Comtemporary to anyone thinking about it.

Room Tip: We picked the top floor because we did not want little children running over our heads, room 5368 ha...
Fairfax, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Let me start by saying my wife and I are huge Disney fans. As a suprise to my wife I booked 4 nights at the Contemporary Resort 10/6-10/10 as a kind of anniversary gift since we first stayed there back in the 90's when we got married.

First the good. Bell service was excellent as was the concierge. Very friendly and we felt like they cared about their customers.

I did the online advance check-in although I dodn't feel it saved us any time. People checking in through the regular queue got through faster because there were more staff manning the regular check in lines. Only two were on the advance queue and it took about 10 minutes to get to the counter.

We got our package and headed off to the parks and as promised we got a call when our room was ready about 3pm. When we retuned we got a upper level room with a theme park view as requested. It's at this point the bloom on the Disney rose began to wilt.

We new that this was an older hotel and the rooms were on the small side but when you pay top dollar for one of the most expensive resorts at Disney you expect things in the room to be pretty well maintained.

The bathroom. OK to start there was a missing ceiling tile! When you looked up you could see the plumbing from the floor above! Second, there was a sizable chip on the tub were the enamel was gone that had started to rust. Third, the sink area is layed out strangely- zero counter space. It was also evident that the floor under the sinks had not been cleaned in some time, very dusty and an old used soap bar still there from a previous guest.

In a normal bargain hotel I would see things like this as part of the turf but not from a Disney Deluxe Resort. I didn't report the issues until we checked out but felt that if they cared about their guests these obvious issues should not have to be brought to management attention. The clerk who checked us out said he would notify housekeeping but he did not seem very concerned.

On the good side the beds were very comfortable although we had to request fresh towels and the bedding was not changed. I had a minor cut on my leg that had bled just a little and it stayed there all 4 nights. TV was adequate although the programing was limited and picture quality was so so.

The marketplace on the 4th floor was very convenient for picking up a soda or snack before heading up to the room after a long day of park hopping. However in the cooler section it was very noticable that you could not buy a regular or diet cola ( the most popular ones). The only way to get a coke or diet coke is to have to buy a fountain soda or their refillable mugs. Do they really need to squeeze more out of their customers in this manner? Just found that anoying- I realize it's upsell marketing but sheesh!

One morning the monorail was down. We were directed to a side stairwell to get down to the buses. Stairwell was pretty gross and the Monorail gents did not do a very good job directing folks to the buses so the group kind of figured it out on our own. Bus service throughout our stay was average. Waited as long as 30 minutes for a bus.

All in all my advice is don't book here unless your prepared for less than a deluxe resort experience. Can't beat the location but they really need to have a better quality control program.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I do realize you are mostly paying for the location and overall experience at this hotel. Having said that, I do expect a 5 star room for the prices. We didn't find that. We were in the garden wing and while the rooms seem as though they've been redone in the last five years, they're just not up to par. Our tub was clogged and dirty. I found hairs that were not ours throughout the room and the room just had an overalls dreary feel. I think that contemporary can do better with redoing things as they need it with the amount of money they are pulling in. It also bothers me that you cannot use the pool at the Bay tower even though you are a guest of the main hotel. However the service was very friendly and the location can't be beat. Walk to Magic Kingdom!

• Stayed October 2012
Bluffton, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Recently stayed at the Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World. The rooms are at a premium price because of their location which is understandable. What doesn't equate is the condition of the rooms for the price. Most hotels are not going to be perfectly clean, you can typically expect corners not to be really clean, baseboards are probably going to be dusty and show ware. But most economy brands manage to keep the vanity and other surfaces free of dirt to the point that you don't feel like your picking up someone elses DNA. Dirt, hair, what looked like splattered tooth past on the wall behind the towel rack, just about every flat surface looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while, not good. I travel frequently and when on the road will stop at Hampton Inn because they change the duvet cover every time a new customer checks in. The Hampton Inn has clean rooms as well as several other economy hotels. What is Disney's problem. This seems to be a problem with other Disney Resort Hotels that I've stayed at to the point I'm done! There are too many good quality hotels close to the park at a more reasonable price point that you can feel comfortable in. Not only was the room pretty disgusting, there was no coffee. Ok, not too many people use the little coffee packets, but it is nice when you want a quick pick up before you head out. The Swan and Dolpin managed by Starwood seem to be able to not only proivde coffee, but complimentary water and surprise....a clean room at a much more attractive price point. You won't get your wish at the Disney Resort Hotels!

Room Tip: Use the Swan or Dolphin or a lower cost hotel outside the park.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was my second stay in the Contemporary Resort with my family. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is so convenient. You can just walk to the Magic Kingdom and that is specially important when there are long monorail lines or the service is down, which unfortunately happens quite often. Other than that it is just fine as a hotel considering its price. Room is big, nice and clean. Concierge floor is a plus, but even there you cannot escape Chef Mickey's noise all day long. Free wifi is new (it wasn't available last year).

If you are traveling with small children and are willing to pay extra for location, you will find no better place. Noise can be a big problem. I suggest asking for a room as far as possible from Chef Mickey.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

was a nice lobby hotel and pool area was nice. walked into our room and found dirty wine glass and a needle on the nightstand, then looked up by the patio doors, and had 2 huge cob webs, which i took pictures. informed them at the desk of all of it and they did absolutely nothing. would not stay there again. the inside of the room was just an average hotel room nothing special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Contemporary Resort? Share your experiences!