“Exciting adventure for a Pirate Loving Son” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   900 Cayman Way, Off Buena Vista Drive, Orlando, FL 32830-1000   |
Ranked #174 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Austin, TX
“Exciting adventure for a Pirate Loving Son”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

We recently stayed two nights in a pirate room before moving to the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. We're DVC members, but my son really wanted to try out the pirate beds/room here, so we arrived a couple of days early so we could stay here 2 nights. My son, then 5, was on cloud 9 the entire stay and didn't want to leave. There was plenty of room and the details in the room were wonderful - like the pirate ship in the tiles for the shower/bath, the keg holding the refrigerator, the pirate curtain to separate the bedroom and bath area, and of course - the beds. My husband and I slept comfortably on the bed, although we are both on the shorter side. The cleaning staff was very friendly as were almost all the CMs that we encountered.
The highlight though was the pirate pool and pirate kids' splash area. My kids absolutely LOVED it and spent hours there, even though we were only there for 2 days. They would only leave one night because it started raining :) The kids' area splash pool is perfect for toddlers and younger swimmers.
For the food court, we only ate there twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast, but both times were great. Nothing fancy, but lots of variety and everyone found something that they wanted to eat both times.
This is a wonderful place for quiet (and possibly romantic) walks along the lake, too. It's beautiful at night.
All and all, it's a favorite with our family and we will be going back again later this year!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

3,813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Turkish first
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

As the mother of a 5 yr. old boy & wife to a husband who's never really grown up, this resort was perfect for our family. It was very clean, the beds were very comfy and the spacious pirate themed room was really fun, right down to the "hardwood plank floor" carpeting. We were really glad we upgraded for the extra fee. We had a small issue after checking in with obtaining our luggage from storage (took a lot longer than told as we watched guest after guest getting theirs with no trouble), and the young lady who checked us in wasn't very knowledgeable or helpful, but our porters were great and all the other staff we encountered were prompt and helpful. We only ate lunch on the property & it was fine for hamburgers. We enjoyed a nice walk along the sidewalk by the lagoon from our room to the pool area. We didn't get in the pool but our son loved the kid's spray park. The grounds were well maintained & just gorgeous. We liked how the property was divided into sections, and even though our room seemed to be furthest from the commons area, it was a 5 or 6 minute walk, and the local bus service made it even more accessible. The only thing about the resort that might be a deterrent for some would be the location to Disneyworld but we were fine with the distance and the bus service to and from was convenient, even at 10:30 p.m. leaving the Magic Kingdom in a very long line of guests. Overall, a really nice place to take small children.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

This was our third stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. Reading the reviews on Trip Advisor made me hesitant to stay here again. My fears were unfounded. Do not believe the reviews that you read. The hotel is wonderful. We had no problems with cleanliness or shabbiness, as some reviewers have written.
We had 2 connecting rooms in Aruba. One was a king bed for us, other room was 2 doubles for our teenage children. We h did not have any problems with cleanliness in the rooms. The Mousekeeper, Nancy, always kept the rooms very clean. I had faxed a room request in advance for Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51, to be near the food cour and feature pool. Didn't get either one, got Aruba 53. It seemed far away looking at the map, but was only a 6-7 minute walk. (timed it several times.)
I also read reviews about poor bus service. We never waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus, even at park closings in the evenings. We did have to stand a couple of times at park closings, but the bus ride to Caribbean from all parks is not a long one. If you don't want to stand, you can always let people go ahead of you and be first on the next bus.
The food court was fine. We didn't use it much, since we had the free dining plan. It is a lot like fast food, but it is a food court, not a resteraunt. I would recommend the omelet station for breakfast, it was very good.
The feature pool and spa are wonderful. It was remodeled since we were there last. I do think the zero entry that was put in took away from some of the pool area.
All in all, I would say the Caribbean Beach is a great place to stay. The grounds are very tropical and I found them to be well kept. Our last visit, we stayed at Wilderness Lodge. We did not want to pay for 2 rooms at Wilderness. (The 2 rooms at Caribbean were almost the same price.)
Although the Wilderness is a deluxe and self contained in one building, we found the Caribbean to be just as nice.
Don't beleive some of the bad reviews of the Caribbean, I think these peoplr are just chronic complainers.

ironton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

All of the negative review are people who apparently dont travel alot... We stayed from July 17-25, upon arrival we were greeted our flight was early and our room was ready when we got in. We didnt have any problems with anything.. We stayed in Barbabos the first night there the neighbor were running up and down the hallway at 2 in the morning however we spoke witht he front desk and they were asked to leave the next morning. We will return for sure to this property already made reservations.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Malden, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

My ten yr old nephew, fourteen yr old niece and I stayed at the CBR between August 25-September 1, 2010 to celebrate my nephews first visit to Disney. Prior to arriving, I requested that my nephew receive a 1st time visit button and was assured that button would be in our package upon arrival. Needless to say, the button wasn't there and we got one from the Manager at Chef Mickey's when we went for lunch. I also paid to stay in a PREFERRED ROOM thinking it was going to be a Pirate Themed Room, First Floor and Water View. However, we only received a first floor room. We were told that "Pirate Themed" rooms are not preferred rooms and they are only in Trinidad South. The only preferred rooms/buildings are Trinidad North and Martinique and they are only considered "preferred" because they are a short walk to the pool area/food court a
@ Old Port Royale. If I wanted to stay in a room near the food court/pool area, I wouldnt have paid the extra money for a "preferred room", I would've stayed at the Allstar Resorts for less money. The room we got was on the 1st level in Trinidad North in Building 31. Our water view was a view of pond that you couldnt swim in with ducks swimming it in. There are a ton a different birds that walk around the grounds which was a plus! There is a smoking area with tables and umbrellas outside your room in Building 31, if you smoke! In order to get to Old Port Royale to the main pool area and food court you have to walk across the parking lot. The room was a nemo/carribean themed room. The sink was filled up with water upon arrival and never went down. I called housekeeping to complain. The air conditioner worked well. The room has two full sized beds, a flat screen tv, a table with chairs and separate vanity area and bathroom. The bathroom floors were very dirty. However, our maid "Elba" was WONDEFUL!! She made us these beautiful towel animals everyday. She also gave us extra towels and whatever we needed even if we didnt have her clean the room. Oops! did I forget that we had a LIZARD (baby one) in our room one day! It crawled in from underneath the front door. Upon complaining to management about all my problems on the first day of visit, I was told that they "were overbooked" but they might be able to accomdate us with a new room sometime during the end of the week to keep calling. Which, I did but the change in room and building location never happened. Make sure you take advantage of online check in before you get to the resort as check out will be mich easier and your boarding passes will be put in an envelope with copy of all your expenses/bills paid on your Key To The World Card on the morning of check out. However, dont go to the bus stop and try to get on the Internal Resort to take you to the Custom House (Main Building) because they wont let you on with luggage. Just call down to Bell Services and ask for them to send a van to pick you up. The bus system at the resort depends on what Island you stay in for example, if you stay at Trinidad South, you are the last stop at night (after the bus drops at every other island) and the first stop our of the resort. Buses are hard to get back to the resort in general from the parks. It seems like the CBR is the biggest moderate resort WDW has but every other resort has more pickup/drop off buses at the parks. So, be prepared to wait in lines when you want to leave a park and go back to the resort. The pool at Old Port Royale is very kid friendly with water slides and pirate theme. The food court offers cafeteria style food. Not alot of selections in my opinion. The gift shop has a lot of selEctions though. Right now, they are having a sale that if you purchase $40.00 worth of items you can buy a beach towel for $10.95 and a carryon luggage set for $16.95-good deal! The hotel offers WIFI for a fee and you must charge that fee to your Key To The World. If you actually need to use a computer and dont have laptop with you, you have to go to another resort i.e. Board Walk or Contemporary as this hotel doesnt have a Business Center accessible to guests.

I would reccomend the Disney Dining Plan and purchasing a resort cup for $14.00-well worth it as you can refill it as many times as you are there for free. Also, the Dining Plan offers 7 table services, 7 quick services and 7 snacks per person if you stay for seven days. We were able to go to character breakfast @ 1900 Park Fare, Donald's Safari Breakfast (Animal Kingdom), Ohana (Polynesian) and lunch @ Chef Mickey's and Tutu Italia in Italy and dinner at the Garden Grill in Epcot! The character interaction at Garden Grill with Chip, Dale, Mickey and Goofy was the best. Also, they gave my nephew a 1st Time Celebration Card signed by the cahracters which I thought was really nice. He loved it! The breakfast (buffet style) was the best at 1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian) and the staff and breakfast at Ohana with Lilo & Stitch was wonderful. Make sure you bring cash with you for a tip if you dont want to charge it to your Key To The World Card because some of the servers actually ask you "how do you want to handle the grauity"? Also, be prepared to spend between $22.00 and $31.95 if you want to purchase the picture that the PhotoPass people take of you with the cahracters at the breakfast, kunch or dinner. We also ate dinner at Hollywood and Vine in Hollywood Studios in order to go to the Fastamic Show but missed two shows in one night because the lines were down the street and we never received our voucher. So, I complained to the hotel and they were able to get us VIP seating for the Thurs night show but that show was cancelled due to "technical difficulties" which at first the staff said "technical difficulties" and then said and I quote "We are sorry but this show is being cancelled due to weather but we'd like to leave you with a fastamic firework show". Hello? they gave us fireworks and the weather was beautiful but now show-technical dfficulties doesnt sound right to me. So, needless to say I complained to Guest Services at Hollywood Studios and was given fast passes to three rides at Epcot the next day and all day pass to come back to Hollywood Studios on the last day of our visit because we didnt have park hopper passes for that day. But, this was also because we went to Hollywood Studios on Magical Hours one night too and we not able to get into Indian Jones, Honey I shrunk the Kids because they were closed and the Toy Story Mania rides lines were down the street and they were not offering fast pass. I also complained to management at our hotel because I was furious that we wasted two nights of our time to see this show and I purchased dinner at a restaurant that I wouldnt have eaten at otherwise to see this show. The hotel accomadated us with three one day park hopper passes that will last until 2015 and three (3) extra table services to our Dining Plan. The Manager Lisa also gave me her business card and told me that she will do the best she can to accomadate my needs if I should choose to come back to CBR in the future.

Make sure if you go to the water parks: Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, you bring water shoes with you because you will get BLISTERS. Also, bring lots of SUNSCREEN! Also, try to carry lightly or you will have to pay $6.00 to rent a locker.

Epcot was not as good as it used to be in terms of shows. There were none when we were there. We were waiting in a line to Princess Jasmine and Aladdin for five minutes and then a Disney Staff member told us that the family in front of us were the last family and to come back at 5pm if we wanted to get a picture or autograph. It was only 2:50pm @ that time. So, we didnt go back. Soarin is MUST! You should fast pass it too because the lines are very long. Tutu Italia is not a kid friendly food place. Although, I loved the GNOCHI's they really dont cater food selections to children. If you have kids in your party, try to eat somewhere else. If not, eat there because the ambiance, decor and food is EXCELLENT!

The Lion King Show and Finding Nemo shows at Animal Kingdom are a MUST SEE! It's Tough To Be A Bug is also a great show! Donald's Safari Breakfast @ Tusker House was also decent. However, our waitress actually asked me "how do you want to take care of the gratuitty"? I wouldnt mind but a percentage (18 or 20%) is suggested on the receipt . I didnt feel she should ask about her tip. I thought we as the customer determine what we were to give for a tip based on the level of customer service provided? Apparently, not at Tusker House.

London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Arrived to a speedy check-in and an offer to receive an email once our room was ready (nice perk). Per previous advice requested Martinique Bldg. 26 & got it. Once in room found it to be sufficient for our 6 day needs. Location was optimal for the resort and we were quite pleased with the curtained off vanity area for parents to change in the a.m.
Did not eat onsite once, caught most buses within 10 mins., and enjoyed the scenery and sunsets when we were there. Husband commented that the pool area almost seemed like a KOA campground . . . (he was bang on) just didn't feel like a resort type environment. That's OK, it met our needs for the time we spent there. Would most likely choose to upgrade to a deluxe resort on a future visit as we are used to something a little more spacious and upscaled.

New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We chose the Caribbean Beach resort because it was a great price, could accomodate the 9 of us traveling (ages 21-65), and was still on Disney property. We have previously stayed at the Coronado Springs and thought it would be close to that experience, since it was another Moderate resort.

Front Desk: The staff was wonderful, very helpful. Check in was a breeze, even though we had booked the vacation through Southwest. It always makes me nervous to book through a different party, but no issues and they even honored our request for rooms in the same section.

Rooms: We had 4 standard rooms in the Aruba section. It's a far walk from the front desk area (Port Cochere) but just a quick walk across a bridge to the food court and pool. Rooms were just as expected, nice but nothing luxurious. We were happy with the cleanliness and the furnishings. Air conditioner ran well, bathrooms worked fine. The addition of the fridge was nice to keep drinks cold.

Food: Was a bit of a disappointment. We enjoy the Pepper Market at Coronado because everything is fresh, you have many options, and the food is actually pretty good considering. At CBR it is more like a cafeteria, the food is more typical "fast food" fare like burgers, fries, etc. We ate here for breakfast, but even that got kinda old after a few days. Tables can be hard to come by and it's a bit of a circus around each mealtime. I was not impressed with the meal selections.

Pools: Enjoyed the main pool the first day, but it can get crowded. Not many spots to relax by yourself. Did enjoy the pool cabana bar for frozen drinks and beer. One afternoon after the parks we ventured to the Aruba section pool and it was much quieter, and we decided that the smaller pools were better for us (fewer kids.)

Bus Stops: This was the main aggravation. Had to walk nearly a mile to get to bus stops, then you wait...wait...wait for the buses. At peak times when they show up, they were already full from previous stops. We would have to budget lots of time to get to our destinations. Because of this I'd pay the extra $$$ next time for a resort on the monorail line. That was our biggest regret. Again though, you get what you pay for and that's why CBR is a cheaper option.

Check out/Magical Express Transfer: Both ran smoothly. Can not complain at all about the staff or the bus drivers. They were friendly, helpful and polite. Typical Disney staff...Great!

Bottom line, no real complaints, it is a moderate resort and there are plusses and minuses for that. If you have a choice between Caribbean and Coronado, I would pick Coronado hands down.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!