“Great resort but no Microwave in the room?!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

You added Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   900 Cayman Way, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830-1000   |
Ranked #171 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Great resort but no Microwave in the room?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Okay it's Disney and I have to say they have the best service in town. But it's a setup. Yep, I said it a set up. Because how on earth can you have a hotel room (one bigger than some others I've stayed in) but one that doesn't have a dog-on microwave. So what do parents with babies do? What do you do when you just want a quick snack.

You order room service - the gotcha! Yep, another way to get $ out of you. Other than that issue, the room was clean. The decor nice, the pool wonderful, the transportation convenient. I think next time I'll smuggle in a microwave or stay at one of their units/resorts that have one in the room.

Room Tip: Try to get one closer to the main pool. Also, note there is no microwave in the units.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Turkish first
Manchester NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Weve stayed in many resorts within the Disney area; this rates about an 8 for our needs. Just the two of us and knowing a head of time wed be meeting family from another resort throughout our stay and barely needing a place other than to sleep. No fridge or micro, but very clean and well maintained. Loved the food in the food court; many choices and sooo much of it! Desk was very accomodating and cheerful. Not a great place for kids and price wise might be better off at the children centered resorts with "bells and whistles". Over all we were very satisfied.

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the food court or shuttles if walking is a problem or traveling with little...
Colonia, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was our 2nd stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. I agree with comments that if you have younger children, it can be a long walk to the Food Court, the check in area or the bus depending on where you end up, but, if you plan in advance, you can call and request a preference. We stayed at a deluxe level resort last year, but it was very noisy, especially early in the morning (we sleep in on vacation), so went back to the Caribbean Beach this year. It is very quiet, had no early interruptions at all, staff was very friendly and accommodating. The pool that was closer to our room was nearly empty each time we used it, and so we could spread out and not be elbow to elbow like in some hotel pools. The rooms and the mini-fridge are a good size, and the rooms have a round table that seats 4 comfortably.

Room Tip: We had Aruba, which is close to the bus stop (our preference) but you can request a room location to...
Plainfield, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Ok I read the reviews, but was so surprised by the SMELL! The rooms smelled horribly like mildew we sprayed febreeze but it was no use. The pillows, everything! The room seemed dirty just because of the smell I didn't even look forward to getting into the room after a long day at the parks to relax. I would avoid staying here again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

We booked our stay in July for our family trip. There are 12 of us with 4 rooms. ( my family, my brothers families and my parents) we chose this resort because we thought that when we get tired of the hustle and bustle of the parks we could relax and do fun things at the resort. We stayed at All Star Sports last time and it was great because it was the1st Disney trip we had taken in a long time, so we were never really there and it was a place to lay our heads. It was crowded and a bit loud so we wanted something different.

CB is just what we wanted. Spread out, more relaxing and much more quiet! I was so scared when I read the reviews that we had made the wrong choice, but this is not the case. I must say... 1st if this is your 1st Disney visit, a Honeymoon, special occasion, or business trip this is not the place to stay. Only because there are other resorts that would be better. A deluxe resort is best for a honeymoon and business. Deluxe resorts are like Marriott's and Hilton's (only nicer and more fun). Moderate resorts are like comfort inns, Hampton inns, Holiday inn express. The Value resorts are a slimmed down version of moderate and crowded. But the best bang for your buck if you are not going spend a lot of time there.

I want to say that some of the reviews are correct on their complaints. So I want to do a pros and cons list and explain a few.

Cons:

Checking in is SLOW! 45 min process. We didn't get all the rooms we asked for when booking. We wanted all waterfront rooms on the 1st floor. CB had all water fronts on the 2nd floor for us. That's wasnt going to work because we had people with rented scooters. (this place has no elevators) The person checking us in was awesome, very helpful and apologized. We were able to get two rooms with water view on the 2nd level and two rooms 1st floor non water view. He discounted all rooms for the inconvienece.

This place is HUGE! If you want to be close to Port Royle where the big pool, food and gift shop is then spend the money and book a preferred room! Or request Jamacia and Aruba for a much shorter walk.

If you need something for your room don't expect it to be quick. Did I mention this resort is huge?! It takes service/help forever. Give them your cell number and go to the pool. They can call/ text you when they get to your room or confirm they delivered whatever you need.

The buses can be slow. Specifically coming back from the parks at closing time. I think part of this reason is because they have to make all the stops around the resort to drop people off before they go back to pick more people up at the park. For the most part the transportation has been an ok experience.

Bugs and little creatures. This resort has a lake and tons of green foliage. We have seen little frogs, bunnies, chipmunks, snails, spiders and lady bugs. There are so many beautiful trees and flowers but it's the home of those creatures. None of this bothered us because we don't live in the city or suburbs so this is normal for us. And for us this isn't a con. But for some it's an issue.

Mold and musty smell in the rooms. 1 out of the 4 rooms we have has the musty humidity smell. Usually that means the air conditioner needs to have maintence and torn down and to clean it. (we live in Ohio and its very humid there too, so we know what causes it and kinda used to it) 2 of the 4 rooms has small mold dots on the shower celing. Guess what... My bathroom at my house has the same thing. Once again the culprit... HUMIDITY. This is not because they are not clean.

The rooms could be cleaned better, but it's fine. I have stayed at 4-5 star hotels that don't clean any better at times.

Food... Basic and works when your hungry or not wanting to go anywhere. Otherwise use your dining plan credits elsewhere.

The beach... Well, all I want to say is the beach at this resort is a lake beach not an ocean beach. If you know the difference you will understand.

Pros:

This place is huge so you don't feel like there are tons of people around you all the time.

Each village has their own pool. This is nice because it's quiet and relaxing. I just wish each villiage had their own hot tub too.

Each villiage has their own laundry facility. For a 7-10 trip this is ideal... Less packing. I just put my powder laundry soap from home in a zip lock bag and packed it. It's $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry I think. So a total of $8.00 or so... That means less packing from home and more room for packing for fun stuff to take home.

The grounds are beautiful!

I can watch Epcots fireworks every night from my hotel room. (I'm in Trinidad North lake view) otherwise go to Old Port Royle or the beach to watch.

Tons of family activities!!! Bike riding (min charge) playground, volleyball, boating (somewhat reasonable fee), campfire with s'mores on the beach, Disney movie every night on the big screen outside, small water slides at the main pool, child play area with the boat pool. All sorts of excursions directly at this resort... Bass fishing, pirate cruises for kids under 12. These are all additional cost but still.

Please take into consideration as to what you are looking for and want. We wanted a family experience that was more relaxing especially if we didn't want to spend all day at the parks. This fit the bill perfectly. Take the cons into consideration and give them perspective. See what you are willing to tolerate and what you won't. That will determine if this is the resort for you. I personally will bring my family back in a heart beat! However... I will always spend the extra money and stay in a preferred room.

• Stayed November 2012
Cumming, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The Good:

Location - Its in the middle of all the parks (but then again, which Disney resort isn't?)

Staff - Very friendly!

Pool - It’s really nice and the slides are great!

Grounds - Neat and clean. Exactly what you would EXPECT to see, but at least it meets expectations.

The Bad:

Price - Dollar for Dollar this resort is not worth the extra money for all the reasons below. I would think that, outside of the pool itself, there is no other reason to choose this resort over a 'value' resort.

Room - Old, musty and borderline dirty. With a 2 year old we spent more time in the room than we normally would, so it mattered. Nothing felt or looked clean....mostly because it was so old.

Resort Layout - Thankfully we "upgraded" to a preferred room so we were close to Port Royale (the Food, Drinks & Pool), but the place is big and I could see the distance being a real issue (especially if you have kids). What looks like a 1/2 mile walk to get coffee is a bit much (OK..so maybe its not 1/2 mile each way, but it sure looks like it).

Bus Service - While this isn't specific to this resort, I was very disappointed in the bus service. We tried it 3 separate times and each time the total trip was close to an hour. Between waiting for the bus itself, making all the stops and then the drive over to the park it took a long time. NOW I will say that you bypass the need for the Parking Lot TRAM, The Mono-Rail and/or the Ferry Boat so that saves time, but it just feels like the buses could run more often at peak times.

Food - I thought I was in the Flintstones for awhile there (you remember when they would drive down the street and the same buildings would flash by over and over?.....well, that’s the Disney menu's). I was hoping they'd get a bit creative and have theme nights or something to spice things up, but it was the same old overpriced food from the parks. I like the idea of a sit down restaurant being available, but why always the same menu? Especially when its Jamaican Food and when you have a built in customer? Makes no sense to me. Again, I like Jamaican food, but every Jerk Chicken every night unless you want to leave the resort? Disappointing.

Overall we will most likely stay on Disney property again when we go back....and Disney World itself is still a fantastic place. However, unless the CBR becomes a 'value' resort, we will NOT be going back there.

Room Tip: Ground floor (no elevators) and a "preferred room" so you're close to the food, drink...
Warwick, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort November 10 – 17th in the Aruba section. The stay was ok, but nothing WOW’d us.

Check-in was easy and quick. The resort is very large and if you can’t walk for 5 to 10 minutes, there is an internal bus service that goes around the resort, but you have to wait 15 minutes or so. After we checked in (around 9pm), we were advised that we would have to take the bus to our room since it was too dark on the road from the Custom’s House (check-in building) and a long walk to our room. Once the bus finally came and we got our things settled into the room, it was almost a 10 minute walk to get a bite to eat. Time can easily slip away walking or waiting for a bus, and I don’t like to waste one precious moment of vacation time.

In order to get to the food area (Old Port Royale), we had to walk a little less than 10 minutes, or a quick walk to the bus stop but wait for the internal bus. We were surprised that there weren’t any vending machines with water/soda, etc. in our building. We had to be sure to get bottles of water before going back to the room or it was a hike back out.

The walk to the bus stop was easy – down a short pathway and across a parking lot. The busses to the parks and Downtown Disney came quite often. One review states that Jamaica is the first pickup and first drop off (Aruba, where we stayed would be second according to that plan), but we found that it would depend on where you were going to or coming from. One night the first return stop was Martinique and Aruba was several stops later.

We found the King bed room to be very clean. I didn’t care for the curtains since they did not completely cover the sides of the windows (even with the vertical blinds completely closed) and it was light at night from the outside electric light, and it was light in the morning from the sunshine. The pillows were not real comfortable to us (just a personal preference), and except for one light near the entrance door, all light switches were on one side of the bed (away from the entrance of the room). Our bathroom was very small, but the sink area is outside and there was a good amount of counter space and two sinks. These were just some small inconveniences. Otherwise, the room was nice. Housekeeping did a good job cleaning the room and keeping us stocked with towels and amenities (except for one day when she was a no-show, but we had enough of everything).

We purchased the refillable drink cups and I was disappointed to find that they no longer served orange juice in the food court. Soda, lemonade and coffee/tea/hot chocolate only. There is a coffee maker in the room and coffee for two cups each day, so we didn’t use our refillable cups for coffee after the first day. Also didn’t use them for soda or anything since it was a long walk to Port Royale to the refill stations. There is a fridge in the room which was very convenient.

There is one sit down restaurant in Old Port Royal (the main food/shop/concierge building) called Shutters and a couple of food court style stations. We ate at Shutters once and while it was good, it was a bit expensive and had small portions. There isn’t a lot of variety (no salads, sandwiches, etc.). We ate at the food court two mornings and were pleased with the breakfasts. We were mostly at the parks during dinner time, but did eat at the food court one night, and my husband thought the salmon was fantastic. I had a Cuban sandwich and that was good, as well. I just wished they had a sit down restaurant with more variety. I don’t like buying hot food at a food court, waiting in a long line to pay for it, and then hunting for a table, going to get silverware and condiments, going back for soda, etc. By the time we sat down to eat, things were just lukewarm or in one case, cold.

The only bar we found was the outside bar near the main pool. There are about 10 seats around the bar and plenty of tables and chairs nearby. But, it is totally outside and gets a bit cool at night. They show movies on a huge screen next to the bar which was a lot of fun, especially for the kids.

We had a pool outside our room which was large, clean, and heated. That was nice since it was a bit chilly/breezy at night and we didn’t care to walk 10 minutes to the main pool and walk back wet. We did it once to try out the slides and whirlpool, but it was not comfortable walking back.

There is a “beach” area near each section with hammocks and loungers; however, you can’t swim in the water. Nice area to relax, but not really a beach.

Caribbean Beach was ok, but we will probably stay at a different resort in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near Old Port Royale. Might be a more expensive preferred room, but MUCH closer t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!