“Not bad, not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

You added Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   900 Cayman Way, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830-1000   |
Ranked #165 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Panama City, Florida
“Not bad, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've stayed at almost all of the Disney resorts. This was my second time staying at Caribbean Beach, even though it's my least favorite of the Disney hotels. It was a host resort for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon weekend, so we got some extra perks if we chose to stay here. The first time I stayed here was 10 years ago and I didn't love it then. This time, it was definitely showing its age. I was shocked that things weren't being kept up to Disney standards, and I'm a hardcore Disney vacationer. Maybe its the economy, but the carpet was getting shabby, there was only one soap and hardly any washcloths, and the bedskirt was dirty. In the food court, the napkins didn't even have the Disney logo printed on them anymore. I know that sounds petty, but its the little things that make Disney magic, and a plain old napkin just isn't the same. Plus, the food in the food court was NOT that great. Do not waste a quick service here. Go to Downtown Disney and eat at the Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Pucks or anywhere else. The pillows were great, but the beds are super tiny! I think they're full size, there's no way thats a queen. Basically, it was a quiet place to sleep, but doesn't really have that Disney feel. If I can help it, I won't stay here again. Coronado Springs or Port Orleans are much nicer moderate resorts.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,003)
  • Turkish first
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My hubby and I celebrated our 20th anniversary here. We have stayed at many Disney properties in the 16 visits we've had to Disney, but this was the first at the Carribean. The positives: beds are SOO comfortable! The pool area was beautiful (although the weather was too cold to allow us to use it). Every cast member was wonderful and helpful as always at Disney.
The negatives and why we will choose another moderate Disney property next time: our room had a very musty smell. Since we were spending most of the day away from the hotel, we didn't ask to change rooms, but on the bus we talked to another couple staying at Carribean and they in passing mentioned their room had a musty smell, so we apparently weren't alone. The other big negative is the distance between all the amenities at this resort...the Custom House where you check in is a big walk away from nearly everything else. They have an internal shuttle system but you wait a good bit to catch them. Also, the Disney bus service here is the slowest we've had...there are so many stops around this resort that it takes quite awhile to get where you are going. Lastly, there is only one table service restaurant here, and they are open only for dinner. The food court is open for all meals, but it is your typical food court fare.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for the Disney Wine and Dine half marathon as it was one of the host resorts. The resort overall was very nice, the Port had a decent selection of food and the prices were not sky high as the case usually is at Disney. Our room in Aruba was nice, everything worked fine with the exception of the remote. We had an issue with our room key and lock but it was fixed within 20 minutes of reporting it to the front desk. We chose to not have our room serviced and were still left some toiletries at our door which is customary for most Disney resorts and always a nice touch.

If you're there late you can also catch the fireworks from Epcot (or one of the parks).

Overall a good stay for the price and we would definitely return, especially for the pool!

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room that is closer to the port if you're not up for much walking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Staying at a Disney property is the ONLY way to go if you plan to be at Disney World for your entire vacation even if you choose another Disney property, Disney takes care of everything from end to end. Soon as you step off the plane your luggage is magically handled for you. No standing at the luggage carousel. Disney transfers your luggage from the airport to your room and it shows-up automatically. When staying at a Disney property you won't need a car. Transportation to any Disney Park or entertainment complex is covered by Disney. (Bus, Boat or Monorail)

Before reading my review keep in mind I stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort while attending a business conference without family or kids.

The exterior areas are well manicured and maintained to Disney's typical perfection. The property has wonderful walking trails and tranquil places to sit and relax. However, the buildings, rooms and common areas are showing wear and tear with age. My room was ok, but lacked that new property feel. The carpets needed a deep clean, bedding updated, fresh coat of new paint and furniture was tired and look dated. It’s time for a remodel.

The room from a business traveler perspective was lacking. The room had a small table with chairs, but without wi-fi I had to use the bed as my workspace as the Ethernet cable was placed at the nightstand. I found the cable connector broken. So, I called maintenance to have it replaced. Maintenance was fast and I received a replacement 15 minutes after making the call. Not having wi-fi may not be a big deal to someone with kids on vacation, but today not having wi-fi is a huge miss with many families brining iPads, iPods on their vacation.

Overall, I experienced Disney signature service from all team members I came in contact with during my stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. Five star service from check-in to housekeeping and maintenance.

When comparing Caribbean Beach Resort to other Disney properties you will find better facilities, but those properties will cost you more. Overall the room has the same feel as a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, to set expectations. Would I stay here again? Maybe, but not for business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We just returned from a 3 day stay for the Wine and Dine half marathon. This was our first stay here as we normally stay at Port Orleans Riverside for the races. Although this resort is not horrible, we will stay at Riverside for the Princess in Feb. The room was clean and big enough for the little time that we spent there. But the beds are only full size so a little small for two adults. The resort is HUGE so be prepared to either take the internal bus (as along as you don't mind waiting for it and than having 7 or 8 stops) or doing a lot of walking. Food court is ok for a quick meal.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed from October 26-Nov 2nd at Jamaica Building 45, a group of 10, and 3 rooms. Great rooms location 4521-22-23 pretty close to the parking lot and from the bridge that goes to the playground, main pool and Food Court. We had a nice beach in the surroundings. My mother had a scooter and it was perfect for her to go around. Great service from Walker Mobility as well. This hotel it's great because is the first stop from the airport and to the airport on the Magic Express and it's so close from Disney Hollywood Studios and Epcot and a 5 min. drive to Disney Downtown.

The rooms were good, nice and firm beds and enough space for us. Front desk is not close, but we never needed to go there, just to review our check out the night before.

Dinner plan was perfect, but my recommendation: make your table reservations in advance so you don't end with a lot of credits in your plan card, we asked for our status the night before our departure and we had a lot of snack still available, so we changed at the food court for some snacks to carry to the airport.

We had Princess Lunch at Norwegian Pavillion at Epcot since it was impossible to get a table at Magic Kingdom, it a perfect option and you will have all the princesses at your table for pictures and autographs

It could be perfect if the food court at the hotel worked latter. We use to arrive some nights around 11 PM and it was closed. so if you're planning to have a quick dinner at the hotel be sure to arrive al 10:30. Another option is to have dinner a Disney Downtown that closes a little bit latter.

My best recommendation for the Caribbean Beach Resort

Room Tip: Jamaica Building 45; Room 4521 close to the bridge to the central island
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Charleston SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed many places on the resort and this is my least favorite. Unless they renovate I would not go back regardless of the deal. The worst part was the front desk staff at check in as well as the two concierges I spoke with seemed very unhappy, one was downright rude. Not at all what I have come to expect from Disney. You should note the beds are doubles. We were in building 23 and it wasn't too far from the main pool but we seriously had our car right outside the room and drove there twice. Even with the beautiful landscape the hotel felt like a motel 6 with Disney bedspreads. I hope Disney will make some needed changes here and bring it up to Disney standards.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!