We (a group of 2 families) stayed at the Holiday Inn for 6 nights on a trip to WDW. The hotel was overall very nice. The room was on the 9th floor and very well kept each day. Our room faced Downtown Disney (DD) on the 9th floor. Far in the distance we could see Expedition Everest as well as the Swan and Dolphin hotels. Closer, we had a view of the hustle and bustle of DD. The Wyndham across the street blocked our view of Epcot and beyond. The staff was genuinely caring, from the greetings at the breakfast buffet to the welcome in the Disney operated store and to the front desk.
The mini-fridge was a welcome part of the room. The coffee maker not so much. There is no in-room or kiosk checkout; I hope management will add those options.
We tried the breakfast buffet on the first morning. There was a nice selection of bacon, scrambled eggs, waffles, grits, etc., plus an omelette station (OJ is an extra buck); a bit pricey but definitely give it a try, and kids do get to eat free with a paying adult. They also offer a continental breakfast buffet (no meat items) for a lower price. We would then walk to Earl of Sandwich in DD to pick up food to bring into the park. Being close to DD is a distinct advantage of the Holiday Inn.
The walk isn't bad, except for the summer humidity. It was really hot. Sweat in the morning. Don't go in the summer if you can't stand to sweat. To get to DD, the walk will go by the Hilton (which is a block closer to DD). Consider walking through the Hilton to cool off and admire the Mickey bronze in the lobby, and to get Starbucks-logo coffee.
After picking up sandwiches from the Earl, we would wait for the free bus at the Hilton. No need to walk back to the Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn bus is part of the DD transportation system which is separate from the WDW Transportation system. The bus stops at 4 hotels in the following order (all on the same side of the street): Hilton, Holiday Inn, Royal Plaza, and Double Tree. There are 2 buses; one goes to (in order) Epcot and the Studios, and the other goes to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. The buses are on a 30 minute schedule, so if getting quickly to and from the parks is important, then a car may work better.
As for how this compares to other hotels, this is of course not the same as one of the premium Disney hotels or the Swan/Dolphin (for reference, we've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and the Dolphin on previous trips); none of the DD hotels are on the same par. However, if you don't mind the lack of theming, and if you are looking for a hotel with all the amenities and care of an upper-tier hotel at a reasonable price, and still 'within' the Disney sphere, then consider this property. Especially consider this Holiday Inn over the Disney value resorts, and even the intermediate resorts.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn - In The Walt Disney World Hotel
- Holiday Inn - In The Walt Disney World Hotel Orlando
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Orlando Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista Downtown. This J.D. Power & Associates award winning hotel is fresh from a $25 million top-to-bottom makeover, making it the perfect place to stay during your vacation to the Walt Disney World Resort. With deluxe rooms, lobby and business amenities and facilities, you are sure to enjoy the comfort and convenience of our charming Orlando hotel. Whether you are in town for a weekend getaway, destination wedding or family vacation, our hotel in Lake Buena Vista puts you in the center of it all. Located within the Walt Disney World Resort, our hotel is just a short walk from everything the Downtown Disney area has to offer, as well as several Orlando attractions, golf courses and shopping. If you're in Orlando on business, feel free to utilize our 10 different meeting rooms with space for 18 to 600 guests, on-site audio/visual equipment, catering services and sales & meeting professionals. During your vacation, enjoy our choice Orlando hotel amenities, which include free high-speed Internet access, a delicious on-site restaurant and lounge, brand new 32' LG LCD HDTVs in every room, Bath and Body Works bath amenities in every bathroom, a zero-entry pool and an on-site game room for the kids. We also offer Rainforest Alliance certified coffees. Check out our Orlando hotel room deals, and make your reservation today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Olotels, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.