“Second stay at this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1900 E Buena Vista Drive, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #207 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Coral springs
“Second stay at this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

great experience their character breakfast was so much easier to get into than the options on other disney property, the food was great and the price was right. Rooms were clean and well appointed staff was friendly and capable. We stayed in the Island building last time and it was too much walking to get to our rooms . Stayed in the tower this time it was much more convenient. parking lot is a far walk too so add the daily cost of the valet. Very nice being walking distance from the Marketplace. The pool area is nice but is in need of a facelift.. We took advantage of the Florida resident rate making it a great value.

Room Tip: If you dont mind a little extra walking the rooms in the Island building on the first floor have ver...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
shropshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night prior to our return to the UK. It is the only four star hotel that we haven't been able to get a cappucinno at (because the machine was broken) and the whole hotel had a very tired look, particularly the pool areas. The room was fine, the majority of the staff were helpful and the staff in the Spa were excellent. However, the pool bar looked like a shack and had very little choice and the pool loungers were awful (most of them had the stuffing hanging out). The breakfast was poor although one of the waitresses was very helpful.
The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift and we certainly wouldn't go back unless we knew this had been done, Shame because the location is ideal for Downtown Disney.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoffman Estates IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed in the Disney area two dozen times and this shakedown of a scam was not a pleasant experience. The hotels invites drunken AA groups to the function rooms and then these creepy men are roaming around the kids areas - flirting with our kids. We found the reception staff and the spa workers to be very dishonest and unfriendly when it came to hidden fees and charges. We should have known not to use the spa services when an outgoing patron was not happy with her bill. We were most unhappy that we were not charged the price I had agreed upon and when push comes to shove.. it took the kind of argument you just don't want to have in front of the kids or on a resort vacation.

The front desk was hands down - the worst ever. Sarcastic, Rude, and seemingly Enjoys giving you a hard time about your reservation. I think it took 25 minutes before she started to back down and start treating us like paying customers. We had planned to stay 80 percent of our vacation at this spa - but after the first 12 hours we couldn't wait to get away from this dump. We were billed extra for the shuttle service that we didn't even use. There are loose electrical wires everywhere that i'm sure OSHA would love to know about. My wife became seriously ill from the poor food preparation. The only good thing I can say about this 1 1/2 star hotel is that we will never be coming back and can feel good about warning others about it.

Here are some side notes.

1. The staff wears disney cast member buttons but are not employed by Disney.
2. The spa has nothing to do with the hotel or any deals they pretend to offer.
3. There is an extra $20 per day parking charge.
4. The place is in serious disrepair - ice machines broken - leaking showers
5. The Disney Ticket area is really the Mears Shuttle service. Misleading.
6. This is not Disney customer service - far from it.

North Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

After reading the other reviews, I was a little nervous about my upcoming stay here. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel was beautiful and clean. Check in was easy. I asked to upgrade to a king bed and was able to at no extra charge! Our room was large and had a fridge and safe. It was clean and new. The only thing was that the phone didn't work, so when we needed to call the front desk, I had to go downstairs to the front desk. Free wi-fi in the room and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful. The restaurant was impressive with ceiling to floor windows overlooking the lake. Food was delicious and the presentation was upscale, as were the table settings. Staff was courteous and pleasant.
This hotel is HUGE and has just about everything you need. We didn't eat at Avu Avu, but it was impressive looking with a koi pond, waterfall and very authentic looking. We did eat at the Sports Grill and it was great. Our waiter was nice and cheerful and the food was good. I recommend the fish naan-wich. Spicy and filling.
The pool area was nice, clean and large. We only spent a small amount of time there, but we enjoyed it while we were there. We liked the "inside outside" pool and jacuzzi. My toddler enjoyed playing in the park and sliding down the slides.
I should mention that the walls are pretty thin, and you can hear your neighbors and the people in the hallway. They are so thin, that we were woken up by our neighbors in the next room "enjoying each other" quite clearly. (Michael, you must have some moves!!! :)
Also, the maid service tried to enter our room at 8:45 am...while we were still in bed!
Super close to Downtown Disney,(probably the closest one of all the Downtown Disney hotels) and the shuttle to the parks was fine. All in all, this was a great hotel and we would definitely come back to it.

los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After staying at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa for many years, we will no longer patronize this hotel. We reached out to Management last year to discuss our concerns with the decline in attention to care of the hotel staff & lack of professionalism & were requested to come back & give them another try which we did. Our experience this year was no better if not worse. Attempts to reach hotel management prior to preparing this review have gone unanswered. The noticeable decline in service, as well as the clear lack of professionalism of the staff is a huge disappointment. In years past, we have had to fight for space by the pool because it had been so crowded. This year, the pool area was wide open during an extremely busy vacation week to the Orlando area, clearly evidencing that we are not the only ones who have noticed the decline of this hotel & that people are simply choosing to no longer stay here. Where management once would not have tolerated a sloppy appearance, ripped pool cushions seemed to be more the norm than the exception. The once luxurious private spa pool was literally empty all week and the weather was gorgeous all week. The private spa pool, once adorned with beautiful solid wood and off white cloth furniture, has been refurbished with low grade uncomfortable wicker furniture. The showers in the spa are unkempt and appear to have mildew growing in them. There are only 2 showers besides the handicap shower, one of which the only towel hook in it is broken off leaving you nowhere to hang your towel/belongings while you shower, or no choice but to wait for the only other available shower should you decide to risk the shower. Our shower stall in our hotel room leaked all over the floor no matter how hard you tried to seal the door shut. One day, the cleaning staff "forgot" to leave us any bath mats which made the leaking shower situation even more difficult. When I went to ask the front desk for a copy of the newspaper for which they charge you for as part of your daily "service fee", I was told I could "purchase one in the Disney Store downstairs." I spoke to 3 different people at the front desk, including a Manager, who were unable to answer my question and all I was trying to do was obtain a copy of the daily newspaper for which I was being charged daily. Needless to say, the continuos steady decline in service and complete lack of professionalism displayed at this hotel is unacceptable and we will not be back. There are numerous other hotels in the area. There is absolutely no need to put up which such terrible service from a purported "Luxury Resort".

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Spring Hill, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Well I won't lie, I was very nervous about this hotel after reading so any bad reviews. I am happy to say we had a good stay. We arrived at the hotel early, around 11:45 am. They checked me in, but the room wasn't ready. They told me it will be ready between now and 4pm. No biggie, we were heading over to EPCOT. About an hour later I got a call that the room was ready, I was impressed. We didn't go back to the hotel until around 8pm, got the room key and headed up. The room was great. We got the room with the Disney View and it was awesome. The hotel is directly across the street from Downtown Disney. Between the view of Downtown Disney, The Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest off in the distance, it was awesome. Had coffee out on the balcony both mornings. The beds were very nice also but the AC had issues. It worked, it just felt damp in the room. I had a $50 resort credit. it couldn't be used on the resort fee, but i was happy to find out i could use it at any of the bars... and i did lol. The parking lot is a bit away from the hotel itself but its not a crazy long trek. The check out process was a little long... That $21.95 a night resort fee is insane. All in all, I would stay here again... Especially with the Disney View. It's worth it.

Room Tip: Get the Disney View Room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Let me begin my review by saying that I don't seek out fancy hotels. I look for cleanliness, modern amenities, and a great location. This met only the last of my three needs. Overall, this is a 2.5 star hotel in a 4 star hotel. Our room was a king suite, in the smaller building, facing Downtown Disney.

Service:
I requested a crib in advance; of course it wasn't there and I was stuck waiting for an hour with a tired baby waiting. Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying. Then the fridge was broken. It was fixed, but again a long wait.

The water was turned off for an afternoon to fix a leak. It would've been helpful to let guests know this. Another night, after midnight, we received a note under the door that parking lot maintenance would be going on the next day. We were informed that cars not moved by 7:00 am would be towed. This lack of notice is unacceptable.

The Room:
We had a king suite in the short building. The room was huge and had a great layout. About half of the furniture was updated, which I found odd. Nice dressers and tables. Couches and chairs straight from the 1970's and uncomfortable (not to mention dirty). TVs were nice but horrid reception. We had a lovely view of a dumpster. Our room faced Downtown Disney. Noise level a tad loud on Saturday night, but that was to be expected. I heard from another guest that the rooms facing the pool were very loud as parties went on all night. A/C was great.

Cleanliness:
The room wasn't really clean. Upon check in, I found that the toiletries were half used. Gross. Some of the trash cans hadn't been emptied. I found bottle caps on the carpet and random cupcake sprinkles (yeah, we didn't have any baked goods). Carpet very dated and fraying. Noticed stains on towels. On the plus side, the maid service was fast (and it should've been given that it wasn't really cleaned).

The Hotel:
The lobby is updated and nice. Conference rooms also seemed to be updated. The restaurant and sports bar probably haven't been updated in 25 years. The pool is also quite dated and not cleaned up very well. I was surprised to see handles of vodka in the wide open view at 3:00 in the afternoon - no enforcement of parties at all. Towels are left all over the place for hours on end. It's a bit of a mess. Limited shady areas as well. There is a laundry facility on site that's quite good. $3 a load to wash, $3 to dry. Takes credit cards and was clean.

Overall, the hotel could use a good deep cleaning and a renovation. Little things like random rolls of toilet paper in the elevators were interesting finds. I felt like I was on a strange scavenger hunt all week.

The location across from Disney is great. Literally walk to tons of dining and shopping options in minutes. It's what is saving this hotel.

I would stay here again just for the location, but the price would have to be right. I wouldn't plan to spend any time in the hotel...just use it as a place to sleep. I'd be hesitant to allow my baby to get near the carpet in the rooms again though!

Room Tip: Ask for the tower. It looks much more updated. If you do go for the short building, probably safer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!