“Not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars

Breakfast For 2 Daily!
Ranked #209 of 328 hotels in Orlando
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

This "4 star resort" was by no means up to par for the rating and price. We first arrived to check in and was told there were no king bed rooms available even though we had a reservation and had to stay in a room with two queens. We got to our room to find the tv and lights on and what looked like people had already been in the beds. Called the front desk, told us it was our room and nothing else was done. Then our remote didn't work, the bath had hairs and lacked proper amenities. Not to mention you could hear everything! The room next door with a crying kid, phones rinning, housekeeping at 8 am yelling, slamming doors and can hear the vaccuum. They didn't even know before entering, good thing we had the top lock on. n out second night, after being out we get back to the room to find our key doesn't work. Go to the front desk and was told our key was deactivated and was given an attitude from the front desk about it. All in all service was horrible and you could hear ur neighbor cough, don't expect to get any sleep here. I've stayed at cheaper hotels that are way nicer.

• Stayed April 2013

2,858 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We spent 7 nights here. When we pulled up, it was very busy but everyone was incredibly helpful in unpacking the car for us. I don't understand why everyone complains about the parking...it's a little walk but nothing out of the ordinary. There was a long line when we checked in but it moved quickly and Alex was just great. Our room we booked wasn't available so he immediately upgraded us to the 23rd floor! Everyone also complains about the resort fees...it's Orlando. Every single hotel charges a fee. If you don't like it, don't stay in Orlando.
The room was amazing. Perfect views of Downtown Disney and we could see the fireworks at night. We didn't have a balcony but it wasn't an issue. I particularly loved the location. Walking to Marketplace and we never had an issue with the busses to the parks. We also ate at Avu Avu. Amazing dinner and Frances, our server, was probably one of the best waitresses I have ever had. The pool was beautiful with plenty of deck chairs and a great bar.
Overall, I will absolutely be back. 7 nights is a long time for a resort to screw something up and every day was better than the last. The food was overpriced but I had the $100 credit so it was covered. And it's Disney. So I expect it. Stay here!!

Room Tip: Ask for the tower, the views are incredible. Ask for Frances at Avu Avu, you will have a great time!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houghton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The proximity of the hotel to attractions and shopping is ideal. The staff went out of their way to accomodate and correct minor inconveniences that we experienced. The Sunday morning character breakfast is a MUST DO if you have a little one with you! We had adjoining rooms because we were three generatyions traveling together-- it was great. The pools are sparkling! The beds and linens were very cozy and comfortable. This was our second stay- and we will go back!

Room Tip: Choose the Disney View. We had the fireworks view last year, and it was nice. But this year, iit w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Made a reservation for this hotel based upon the reviews that gave it a four star type rating...while the location is great in walking distance to Downtown Disney and the staff is very accommodating... The hotel is a bit worn. This is a three to three and a half star at most. The rooms are average at best and the furniture is mature. The chairs on the balcony older and dirty. I may be a bit spoiled from staying at Disney Properties. Given the choice - I would stay at a Disney Property. Love the Disney Boardwalk Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is hotel could have been a solid value in a great location. The amenities are good and the bed was very comfortable. However the room size and fixtures keep this property in the very good but not great category.

Like many other reviewers, I think they should rethink their resort fee ($25 after taxes) policy. If you can't opt out of it, it is simply an surcharge on your room rate. I read a response from hotel management that this fee is still less than the total of two ala carte use fees, but it is not less than a per use fee if you don't use a service. It is like an airline charging a baggage fee even if you don't check a bag.

I would have felt much better with the actual (honest) rate up front. Maybe it is human nature, but now I feel ripped off.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
River Edge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

After reading negative review on this site, I was slightly worried about staying here. But we loved our stay and thought the hotel was great. We stayed in the tower, which I would recommend booking, and had a view of Downtown Disney. Our room was quite clean and updated and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel. The pools felt fine to me, not cold, and the breakfast buffet was great. Most of all the parking and location were terrific, we had a car and parked it ourselves. We usually got a good spot in the lot. It's a great location to drive to the parks, and we did not use the bus transportation at all. The staff was warm and very helpful. Overall, it was a terrific stay and I loved the hotel
!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oslo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I spent four days and three nights with my family of four at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa for spring break. We were all very excited to go to Orlando, to visit the theme parks and to stay at a hotel so close to Downtown Disney and the Disney theme parks.

Appearance-wise the hotel is impressive. A grand entrance leads into a moder and airy reception area. People are at hand immediately to help with luggage, valet parking, etc. The first impression was good.

After check-in we needed to transport ourselves to another building in the hotel complex were our rooms were waiting for us. An enormously over-eager and condescending hotell employee repeatedly educated us on how to use the elevators, as if we had just descended from the hills of Tennessee and never had experieced riding elevators before. Very annoying, escpecially since I several times tried to thank him for his services and politely tell him to get lost!

Our room - a family suite for four persons- was a big disappointment. The room itself was beautiful and modern. However, we found pubic hair on the bathroom floor, there were only towels for two, and the sofa bed was not made up. When I called room service to have the bed made, a rather surly woman showed up and demonstratively showed us how to do it ourselves. No tip for her.

The biggest disappointment, however, was the fact that the room overlooked a carpark. We had specifically booked - and paid for - a room overlooking Downtown Disney and with a view to the Disney fireworks. When I complained the hotel "remedied" this by offering me to deduct USD 100 for our total bill, the same amount I would have paid to get upgraded from a regular room to a room with a fireworks view. Not good enough! We hadn't travelled half way across the world to look at a car park, and 100 dollars was not enough to make us happy.

And it went downhill from here:
- breakfast was not included (which it had been in all the other, supposedly lower standard hotels we had stayed in earlier on our trip
- only one of three pools were heated, and that was a pool that was too deep for my 5-year-old to play in by himself (with my supervision, of course)
- our room was consistently supplied with towels etc for two despite my making the hotel aware of the fact that we were four several times
- the shuttle bus to Disney's Magic Kingdom tok 10 minutes, but the ride back took nearly two (2!!) hours. The hotel was the last stop on a huge loop, so the ride back from Magic Kingdom with a sleepy child on an overcrowded bus (half the people had to stand!) was torture

And finally, the hotell slapped us with a bogus tax they call a "Resort fee" of USD 25 per room per day to cover gratuities for their staff, the supposedly free wifi, etc. I was furious!

Why is it that the Holiday Inn can manage to offer complimentary breakfast, free wifi, a heated pool, enough towels, etc - and a luxury resport cannot?? Ridiculous. Next time I'll stay at the Holiday Inn - at least there you get what you pay for!

And to add insult to injury, one person in our party got food poisoning in their restaurant.

I WILL NOT recommend this hotel to anyone - ever...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!