“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #215 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Bedfordshire
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Have been meaning to get round to writing this review since our return, We found our room to be clean, beds comfy, and staff really friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. The maids i have to admit didn't clean the balcony floor in the 2 weeks we stayed there and that is an issue we did raise! I dealt with Felize prior to our stay via email and I have to say she was extremely helpful.

The mini market was a good place to get a coffee and pastry if you want a grab and go breakfast and something quick if you get in late from the parks.e, not the cheapest but what do you expect in a hotel. The Watercress cafe did full breakfast there was a lot of choice but the food was only tepid on the couple of times we did visit it, once being for the character breakfast.

The hotel is literally a 10 min pleasant walk from downtown disney, and the disney buses we found to be very good and reliable.

I have noticed some people are complaining about the self parking being far away!! Please note it is a 5 to 10 min walk from the main building and to be honest if you are walking several miles round the parks a day then i really dont understand how anyone can class this as so far away from the hotel!!!!

The only trouble we did have that was highly annoying was the damn room cards stopped working continually and to keep going back to reception was so frustrating. In the end we had a selection of 4 cards so generally one of the worked!!

All in all if it was still reasonable and we were returning to Florida we would defo stay here again especially for location.

Room Tip: main building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

To be clear up front, I only stayed here for a meeting at the hotel (not to visit Disney), and it was likely the slow season (end of February). Online, it looked rather glamorous, in person, a little worn. This is in Lake Buena Vista, in the Disney area. Leaving the airport, it’s basically a 30-minute drive past the convention center/International Drive/Universal Studios areas to the Disney zone. (Note that if you’re driving, you’ll need cash for $1.25 and $1 toll stops along the way, each way to and from the airport. They give change. Or you can pay the rental car company $20+ to rent one of those electronic passes to speed through the tollbooths. Your call.)
The self-parking lot (while spacious when not filled with guests at 2 big events one night) was a little distant from the lobby (without a clear pathway for dragging luggage, unless you went though the convention center entrance or up some stairs). The lobby wasn’t as grand and inviting as some other hotels in the neighborhood, but that’s aesthetics.
The room itself was fine (2 queen beds, desk area, balcony area) and bathroom OK (strong shower with wide shower curtain rod, but somewhat flimsy toilet seat that just barely stayed up).
I had planned to just have dinner in the hotel the evening I arrived, and noted the hotel restaurant “Outback” for steak and seafood in the info book. However after quite a bit of wandering, it appears to have very recently been replaced with Avu Avu, a tropical themed “all you can eat” place with a fixed multi-course dinner: cold not quite crisp root/potato chips and edamame dip; slightly tropical green salad, stir fry udon noodles with broccoli, endless skewers of chicken (dry), shrimp (odd taste), beef (best thing), and rootbeer-marinated pork. The pork was absolutely one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever eaten. I cannot imagine a chef devising and approving such a dish. Dessert, however, was a tasty pineapple cake (I think). There were maybe 3 other tables filled in the entire restaurant. It was sadly empty, maybe because it was the slow season, or either it had just opened and no one knew about it, or they did know about it. I can’t imagine anyone eating here more than once, given the fixed (and not so stellar) menu. All I wanted was basic hotel restaurant food, which I only found out (the following night) was basically available only via the room service menu. Otherwise there was a sports bar (also basically empty), and some other marketplace for buying coffee and snack items, I think. Maybe they don’t emphasize the hotel restaurant experience because Downtown Disney (not the Magic Kingdom, but a small village with various Disney stores, quite a few restaurants including Planet Hollywood and Wolfgang Puck’s, bars and pubs, movie theaters, and a Cirque du Soleil show) is just across the street.
Overall, not ideal for a business trip, but just OK. I suppose it’s convenient for the Disney experience. It’s probably hopping during peak warm seasons with hundreds of people lounging around the pool areas, but in the cold of February it seemed a little sad.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I recently went to the Buena Vista Palace and Hotel with two other couples for an Orlando weekend getaway from Miami. The property is very nice with excellent location, which is what I look for when I'm planning a vacation. We checked out on a Saturday, but had such a great time we extended for Saturday night as well. During check out, my wife realized she mistakingly left a valuable piece of jewelry behing in the room we checked out of originally Saturday morning. We informed the front desk at checkout, and they advised us there was no record of us staying with them on Friday night. The reason they could not find us was because they spelled my name completely wrong on the reservation. They finally found my reservation and informed me that no property was ever turned in. They took my information and said have a safe trip back. I was astonished, I explained I needed to speak with a manager to insure this is looked into because a theft has occured and they just shrugged it off, and said have a safe trip. I requested a manager to which they sent me a security guard. I told the security guard I needed his manager to which they sent me a Manager named Deysi. Deysi stated "I'm the Front Desk Manager, I know what's happening, are you sure the jewelry did not fall in the sink?" I was shocked, would I be wasting everybodies time if it was down a drain right now? Deysi left and grabbed another guy named Hector from Security. I believe Hector was a manager of some sort. Hector explained that approximatelly "25" people have gone through that room since you have and the housekeeper has already denied having it. Hector asked if I wanted the police involved, and I explained that I would prefer this be an internal matter because I just want my property back. Hector said well due to the value I am going to have the police respond. Hector than explained to me that there will be no adjustments to the final bill. I was in complete shock at this time. I never even hinted at the fact I wanted anything given to me besides my property that was stolen, I explained to Hector. I came here to have a good time and my group spent alot of money in this hotel. I finished by telling Hector that I prefer the police respond because I was tired of being talked down to as a paying guest that was just a victim of a felony. My group waited thirty minutes before I thought to myself maybe they never actually called the police and they lied to me. I called and the dispatcher stated she did not have any pending calls at that location, but somebody would be there shortly. Once again the management tandem of Deysi and Hector lied to me and stated the police were enroute when they were not until I called personally. The police responded approximatelly two minutes later and assured me they would look into it. DO NOT come to this hotel unless you don't mind being treated poorly and have your concerns that you are a victim of a crime on their property by their staff taken for granted. This management staff that was the most unprofessional I have ever dealt with. I hope nobody else becomes a victim at this property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I made reservations based on the fact that this was close to Downtown Disney and the rates were great. The hotel was vey clean and beautiful and the staff was friendly. Rooms were spacious and comfortable as was the bed. Restaurant selection in the hotel is strange but the food at the Sports Bar was great! We would consider staying here again provided the pricing was correct!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed for wife's conference. Lousy in room coffee offset by $4.00 Starbucks in market. Nice breakfast buffet or choice of continental buffet; Not inexpensive. Kook Sports Bar is OK, but noisy, as expected. Expensive $12 for drinks other than beer. Nice pools & pool bar. Concierges very helpful. Get dinner reservations early anywhere in area. Hotel restaurant, Avu Avu, is actually pretty good! Lobby bar Is good with pricey, small drinks. Lot's of easily accessible transportation options. Mears cars often a better and more comfortable option than taxis. Rooms not large, but generally good wireless connections (slow at peak times). Easy walk to downtown Disney.

US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

OK. So, it's no secret that anything with the name "Disney" will be a pretty penny. We recently stayed at this hotel and by the time we checked out the price of the room was about $50 higher that what we expected. There is a "Resort Fee," "Room sales tax," "Room County Tax," "Resort fee sales tax," and "Resort fee Occ tax." It all added up. Just wanted to let you know to watch for these things. Especially the "resort Fee." Which I really don't remember seeing when we booked it online. The hotel is reasonably nice. It appears to have been redone. We also paid extra for a balcony view of the fireworks over the Cinderella castle, but they were kind of in the distance. I doubt if we would pay the addl. $10 again for a view of distant fireworks. Ohter than the fees stacking up, it was an OK hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed, 2/19-23/2013 for Training sessions with the International Foundation. Hotel was adequate at best. Don't let them place you in a second floor room of the main building, had significant noise from the lounge on the 3rd floor above. Hard to get to sleep while the lounge was open. Men's restroom in the conference had a backed up urinal the whole period, disgusting! The actual room was alright, the bed was comfortable but the room wasn't vaccumed during my stay, also only had one day with a bathmat. This is a Disney faciltiy so was really disappointed as had stayed with Disney before and had much better accomodations. This place need housekeeping staff training, and a makeover. At $175. per night plus taxes this place was overpriced.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms in the main building are very noisy with people moving bar stools in the lounge...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!