“Very good but a few negatives” 3 of 5 stars

Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1900 E Buena Vista Drive, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #213 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
London
“Very good but a few negatives”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for 14 days while visiting Disney from the UK.
Check in was fairly smooth and were understanding when we asked not to leave a hold as we didn't plan on charging anything to the room during our stay.
The room was on the 21st floor in the main building overlooking Downtown Disney. It was a great view it must be said.
Housekeeping on the whole was very good. regardless of when we left the room in the morning it was always done by the time we came back, even once when we went out at 10 and came back at 11.30.
Whilst being an older hotel, I feel its quite well kept. Main lobby and rooms are well presented considering.
I personally didn't mind any issues in relation to parking. There was no more than a few minutes walk back and you can cut through the convention area to get back to the main room. I've known much worse situations :).
The small shop is useful but quite overpriced.
The bed was very very confortable.
We used the resort transport twice and it was fine. Very regular and friendly drivers.

However, there are a few negatives:

- Firstly on one day we left the card for the bed to be changed. This was done but at 12 at night that evening the clock alarm in the room went off. I had not touched the clock at all (I set my alarm on my phone so had absoloutely no need). I think its obvious that the cleaner was less than pleased on changing the bed and decided to get her own back. I was less than impressed, especially considering we were leaving extremely generous tips every single day. Very bad service and I was not impressed.

- The pools; One is cold water and two are 'heated'. The heated ones were not anywhere near arm enough, especially the adults only pool.

- Bugs; Yes, there are definately some nasty critters getting in, even on the 21st floor. A couple of days before we left I was bitten all over my legs. It happened over night and was either in the bed or in the room. I have to say, I don't think its the bed and I think its mostly likely to be because the balconay floor was open at some point in the evening and some nasty critters have flwon in, got trapped in the room over night and had a feast on my legs

-Staff; Whilst we were there, one wekeend, there was a student convention attending. The students were very well behaved but the attitude of a goup of staff shocked me. When in the small minimart shop there were three members of staff talking about the convention which was due to arrive earlier that day. The three men were talking about the student girls that would be attending and what they were hoping to get to do with said women. I think that attitude completely stank to be honest and I left the minimart.

Now none of these were going to get me down, I was on a nice long holiday and none of these ruined my holiday. However, I di think people should be aware of these things before they arrive.

Would I go back....possibly. Mainly for the location and the comfy bed (when the alarm doesn't go off or I'm not the dish of the day for some insect)

Room Tip: Get a Downtown Disney view and a high floor if you can. Take a trip to the 27th floor one night and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
Tampa Bay, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at the property at the end of September to attend the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. The hotel was in a great location (only minutes from Downtown Disney) and was surprisingly nice for the money. Stayed in a Water View Guestroom which was both spacious and clean. The bathroom was a decent size and very clean as well with plenty of towels. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were clean. There are two restaurants on the property, The Outback Restaurant (not the chain steak house) and a sports bar. We ate at the Outback Restaurant which had very good food and the service was great.The only negative, and it is a very minor one, is that the self parking is a bit of a walk from the hotel due to the large property that it sits on. Again this was very minor and valet parking is available if this would be an issue for you. Overall, I definitely enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice property close to Disney.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Just returned from a conference at the Buena Vista Palace. I won't say it's a "Terrible" hotel since the staff are friendly but it is definitely "Poor". The layout of the hotel is very confusing, the rooms are dated and it's only saving feature is that it is close to Downtown Disney. With that stated, there are so many shuttles that take you everywhere in the Magic Kingdom, I'm not sure location is critical when selecting a hotel. If you want to stay healthy, the workout facilitate is adequate but again... old and dated. This entire hotel needs a face-lift. If you were to bring kids here, I suspect you will find the pool small and little else will keep them occupied. I'd avoid this hotel, even if it means spending more to stay at a hotel that will make your stay in Orlando a memorable one...

Advice: If you plan to stay here, try to make sure you are in the main hotel and not the satelite building. Quite far away and I was told the rooms were just as dated.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main building to avoid longer walks to get the shuttle, etc.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

All lovely with the hotel and grounds but I think its let down by poor cleaning in the rooms...They dust only where they can see and not always that!!!We had a small shelf above the bed which was thick with dust from us getting into the room to going home after a 2 week stay!!! Bathrooms given a coursoury flick over and hoovered on the floor which, in my opinion need a mop at least once a week...but it seemed all done for quickness, lovely hotel but for my next visit to Orlando it will be the Hyatt in Buena Vista i will be staying!!!!! Sorry Palace!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jefferson, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is gorgeous. The beds & pillows are cozy and wonderful. The bathrooms are clean. The hotel is very modern and up to date in its furnishings and decorations. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean. We were so pleased with our room!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have stayed here many times and always enjoy coming back. The check in is very quick and efficient and the rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds are so comfortable!!!! The view overlooking Downtown Disney is beautiful. If you have the chance, stay at this hotel, you will not be disappointed.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was our second visit,and we enjoyed it even more, than our first visit, two years ago. This trip, we stayed on the 14th floor in the main building. Large, comfortable room with a great king bed. The bedding is soft and of good quality. The comforter is very nice, but it was too hot for us. We found a cotton blanket folded on the top shelf of the closet, put this on the bed at night, and it provided the perfect warmth for us. They provide pillows all different kinds; some soft, firm, and there are plenty of them.The room has a full sized desk, chaise lounge,and a good tv; we found there were ample channels, from Lifetime to sports and all major channels, as well.
Each room has a small balcony, with a table and 2 chairs, which is a nice place to enjoy morning coffee, or a glass of wine (each room has a fridge that works well, just be sure to look under the lowest shelf, and turn the indicator to a chillier setting,when you arrive).
The air conditioning works well, and is quiet,and we found the hotel quiet,in general, which made it great for sleeping. The bathroom and sink area are separate, which is handy. There is a large shower, no tub in our room, which was no problem for us. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning our room, and leaving us extra towels as soon as we asked for them.
Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. There's a small cafe, a store for basics, and 2 nice pools, as well. It's also a very close walk to Downtown Disney (cross the covered wooden bridge to the pool area; exit the spa door, lower level, walk through the patio there, and take a left,to the bridge. Once you cross the bridge, go right on the sidewalk and you'll cross the street to Downtown Disney ,crossing at the corner is safer). There is also a small shopping center if you walk left after reaching the main road; it's about 20 minutes' walk on a nice, shady sidewalk
The hotel provides a free shuttle to DisneyWorld, Downtown Disney, and the shopping center, too.
Looking forward t returning to this hotel, as they seem to upgrade something each time we visit; add another perk, and continue to show excellent customer service.

Room Tip: high floors, facing the lake area..nice view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!