“Great..again!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #212 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Texas
“Great..again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was our second visit,and we enjoyed it even more, than our first visit, two years ago. This trip, we stayed on the 14th floor in the main building. Large, comfortable room with a great king bed. The bedding is soft and of good quality. The comforter is very nice, but it was too hot for us. We found a cotton blanket folded on the top shelf of the closet, put this on the bed at night, and it provided the perfect warmth for us. They provide pillows all different kinds; some soft, firm, and there are plenty of them.The room has a full sized desk, chaise lounge,and a good tv; we found there were ample channels, from Lifetime to sports and all major channels, as well.
Each room has a small balcony, with a table and 2 chairs, which is a nice place to enjoy morning coffee, or a glass of wine (each room has a fridge that works well, just be sure to look under the lowest shelf, and turn the indicator to a chillier setting,when you arrive).
The air conditioning works well, and is quiet,and we found the hotel quiet,in general, which made it great for sleeping. The bathroom and sink area are separate, which is handy. There is a large shower, no tub in our room, which was no problem for us. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning our room, and leaving us extra towels as soon as we asked for them.
Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. There's a small cafe, a store for basics, and 2 nice pools, as well. It's also a very close walk to Downtown Disney (cross the covered wooden bridge to the pool area; exit the spa door, lower level, walk through the patio there, and take a left,to the bridge. Once you cross the bridge, go right on the sidewalk and you'll cross the street to Downtown Disney ,crossing at the corner is safer). There is also a small shopping center if you walk left after reaching the main road; it's about 20 minutes' walk on a nice, shady sidewalk
The hotel provides a free shuttle to DisneyWorld, Downtown Disney, and the shopping center, too.
Looking forward t returning to this hotel, as they seem to upgrade something each time we visit; add another perk, and continue to show excellent customer service.

Room Tip: high floors, facing the lake area..nice view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Tarrytown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

After one night at Hyatt I moved to Buena Vista Palace. Check in was no problem. I had booked a suite with two beds. Since they didn't have one available they gave me a suite with an adjoining room. It was huge, very clean & comfortable beds. 3 small balconies off each of the rooms but big enough for two chairs and a table. The suite had one full bath and one half bath, microwave, fridge, safe & coffee. Internet wasn't a problem and I thought the place was very quiet. Yes it could use some updating but it was very comfortable & I would recommend it.
The spa was lovely. The workers there were so accomodating and helpful. The spa was very clean, had many amenities, and you could use the facility even if you wereen't getting treatment. However, I would highly recommend getting a treatment since the massage and facial I had were awesome. The spa had an adult pool and hot tub & no one was there so it was very relaxing. The other pools were ok and didn't seem very crowded. I would recommend the spa pool if you are looking to relax and don't have children with you.
The location of the hotel was very convenient and parking was plentiful. Parking was a a few minutes walk but not terrible. One night it was pretty crowded so it might have taken a few more minutes but parking at the Hyatt was even further away and you had to pay extra for it.
Overall we had a very nice stay there.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you are coming to Orlando to visit Disney, and exhaust yourself in the parks, restaurants and DownTown Disney area, this is a perfect hotel. Location is great, and the staff is very friendly and professional. They have free parking - so that was Great. From a conference standpoint, the rooms were comfortable and the meals and cocktail reception food was good. However, if you are looking for a hotel you can spend all day in your room, this is not the place. it is one of the older resorts, carpets are old, somewhat of a musty smell in the rooms. Beds are super comfortable and the bathrooms are spacious. i wouldn't stay here again for pleasure, but I will be back for another conference.

Room Tip: ASK TO be near and elevator if you don't like to walk far
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JoannaFordBVP, Guest Relations Manager at Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear jlm456, Thank you so very much for your review. I am so glad to hear that our staff was very friendly and professional and that you felt our hotel was comfortable and perfect for its location and access to the Downtown Disney area. Your feedback about the guestroom décor and condition is very important to us and I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations in this area. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Warm wishes,
bristol UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had been booked into the hyatt but they're doing major works so we moved to the BVP with virgin holidays. I have to say I was glad we moved. I love the hyatt aqnd it's luxury but the location of the BVP is so much better with it's close proximity to Downtown Disney and the crossroads. The grounds are very nice, big and landscaped. The pools are nice (no comparrison to the hyatt) but perfectly usable and never crowded. The free form one is freezing... we caught the tial of hurricane sandy and it was a bit cold for the first few days. There's a disney shop, a little clothes shop that was reasonable (except for stamps!) a market place that sold food and drink (expensive but very handy) excellent washing laundry that I used three times. You need 5 quarters and a credit card for the $3 fee for machine and $3 for dryer, but $3 is more than enough for a huge load of washing in both and to get it lovely and dry. It's on the second floor so you need to take the lifts that are not for the tower.
I agree reception was hard to find after travelling for 14 hours we stood in the concierge queue for 20 mins with suitcases before anyone said anything. Check in was good though and the one called Danielle was lovely.
They also have a spa which we didn't find until the last day. We were not allowed a late room which distressed me as we were up for 30 hours on the return trip but we used the spa,. It has the 3rd pool adults only though it's overlooked by balconys and little kids hanging over them yelling :P But it's lovely with a hot tub hot showers lovely toiletires and fab staff who wouldn't take a tip when offered.
Our room was on the 21st floor. We emailed them to say we wanted a non smoking room because of my husbands asthma and they upgraded us to a downtown disney view... WOW it was such a view. Wonderful in the sun but as it gets dark and those lights come on it's magical.
There was NO smell apart form the chest of drawers had a very woody smell, but no musty as some have said. It was impeccably clean. Lush comfy bed and sheets. Nice shower and the sink unit was good. The water tasted horrid so we brought water from winn dixie which was $4 for 24 bottles. lasted the whole 14 days. The resort has a fee which covers parking internet etc but virgin holiday guests don't pay it. The interent was super super fast and all those people who say the parking is miles away!! You kidding? Park outside the convention centre. Go in the doors and take the escalator up to the third floor. Very quick and no distance, maybe us brits walk more than americans LOL.
We had a lovely little balcony that was cleaned twice when we were there and was so nice to sit on. We heard no noise from anyone else. The TV was good but not a huge amount of channels we stayed at cocoa beach one night and they had a huge amount of channels. A great hairdryer and coffee maker, they left one coffee sachet a day there so we bought more from goodings at the crossroads. No tea though, well they left tea bags but how do you make that in a coffee maker? no kettle.Air con was fierce indeed. Made my mouth very dry at night. The room maids were nice and polite, they sometimes knocked at 9am to see if we were going out. That was a bit early for me!
My only issue with the place is with the restaurant the steakhouse place... lovely place. Ambience was great, koi carp fish and cocktails to die for. I'd lost my voice and one of those strong cocktails gave it back. However we are vegetarian... now why i hear you ask are 2 veggies in a steak and fish restaurant? We were so tired, we'd been travelling 14 hours. The airplane food was disgusting (virgin atlantic) and I had facebooked the hotel and asked if the restaurant did vegetarian food... YES madam they assured me... we will do you something great. At the front desk of the restaurant I asked the girl... will you have vegetairan food... YES she said ask your server. The server was Luis. Luis must have had abad day as he was the most miserable man I met in florida. We told him we were veggies... "pasta" he said we looked at each other and thought het this is a top class place in america... I bet it will be great. It was the most horrible dish I have ever been served. Penne pasta tossed in a harsh garlic oil with a few bits of roast pepper on top. No sauce no cheese. I ate three pieces and pushed it away, my husband a diabetic ate a couple more but the taste was so bad... someone saw I wasn't eating.. He asked why and I said it was horrible so he brought me a baked potato which we shared half each, so dinner was half a potato and it was not cheap either. No one asked if we were ok, if the meal was ok, if we wanted anything else... we're nice people. We never make a fuss but the service at that place was disgusting and if you are vegetarian as 10% of the population are DO NOT GO THERE. We tipped.... maybe we shouldn't have. They didn't deserve it.
The disney transport is good, they come every 30 minutes, Sometimes a bit hit or miss. They also say different things, one driver told me the last bus was 1 1/2 hours after closing but at epcot the last bus was 20 minutes after closing at 10.20pm. One day we caught the bus to epcot.from the hotel, but it turned into hotel drive and stopped at the holiday inn (which the b bus sisn't meant to do then best western and the wyndham... then it returned to the BVP I was on that bus 30 minutes beofre it even went anywhere! People are right it takes ages to go anywhere but it's free!
On the whole we had a great comfortable happy time and it was a great base and easy to walk to restaurants in the area. ps there's a HESS garage within walking distance that has snacks and stuff cheaper than the hotel if you have no car.

Room Tip: high floor and disney view.... breathtaking
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very nice hotel! This hotel is extremely big. I went there for business and it was cozy and very quiet. I expected it to be a little fancier especially for the cost. The restaurants were nice and the food selection was very good also. I also liked the store they have on the first floor. You can purchase wine or snacks if you like. Overall no complaints.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Sure, they can boast about location since they are literally just across the street from downtown Disney....but that IS where the bragging ends! Upon check in I asked to be in the main building. They sent me across to the "Island" because I had asked for a quiet room. The room was 2 doors down from a noisy elevator. I was then moved to a room, main tower 11th floor. Smelled of cigarette smoke and had "ashes" all over the place to prove it. When I called housekeeping the maid was escorted to my door by her manager, observed the "dust", then an angry maid slammed her vacuum all around the room and blamed my inconvenience on the ceiling fan. The smoke smell lingered until I could take it no more! I was then moved BACK to the island in a two room suite for $50 extra a night! What a gotcha!! Check in failed to give me my "kids eat free voucher" and the Outback restaurant, though I told them when I made my reservation and upon arrival that I was not given any paperwork, said they would call the front desk. Well, no one told the waiter and he was very indignant!! Said he called about the free drink but was not told he had to call about the free kid's meal. I had to leave my table go to the front desk to get something THEY forgot to give me! Ok, so it can not get any worse right? WRONG!!! I had ants in my room in the bathroom on the night we checked in. No biggie, we ARE in Florida, ground floor and it is 76 degrees on November 10! Ants night 2.....early morning bathroom run and there awaits a ROACH!!! Bags, off of floor, zipped and I dial the hotel operator, speak to the kind Garth and say..."ants I can understand, the roach has got to go!! I killed him with my Lysol spray, but I want the room sprayed in the morning please sir!" Yes, the room was sprayed but now what?? My alarm clock, which I have not touched all week goes off moments before this 12:29 am review!!! Yes, that's right, the oldest "we are tired of you" trick in the book, the old "let's disturb your sleep and set the alarm clock to wake you up at midnight thing!"

WTF?!

I travel to Disney every year with several families....we are 7 families strong this year all with children and $$$$ in tow! We spread out, compare properties, and carefully plan for next year's trip! This was the first year any of us have stayed at the Lake Buena Vista Palace and Spa and I promise you, it will be THE last!!
It has literally been my personal trip to hell!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear busybee2012, Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I was of course very disappointed to learn that we failed to meet your expectations and that your stay was a less than enjoyable one. We strive to be the best in service and facilities, but we obviously fell short of your expectations in more than one area. I can assure you that your comments will be passed along to our Management Team for immediate review in order t prevent from happening again to future guests. Sincerely,
Palos Verdes Estates, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

It does need a little updating, but it really was a very comfortable place to stay. We were here for 4 nights and were in the Island tower. This was a little walk from the lobby but it was close to the pools. We were here in November, and we didn't use the pool; but there were people out by the pool every day. It was too cold for us (California has better weather!!!). The little mini market in the hotel was pretty overpriced. We had a car so we were able to go to a grocery store about a mile or so away. But the hotel is not so far from the airport and it has buses to all the attractions. You really don't need a car. It was an expensive rental. Paid close to $240 for the 5 days we used it. So think twice about renting a car. You can walk to downtown Disney from the hotel. It was really crowded but we walked into Paridiso and had a great meal. All in all, I would stay here again. Good location with bus service to all the attractions.

Room Tip: We had a suite in the Island tower and it was great. If you have kids, you should look into it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!