“Classy and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #211 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
bristol UK
“Classy and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had been booked into the hyatt but they're doing major works so we moved to the BVP with virgin holidays. I have to say I was glad we moved. I love the hyatt aqnd it's luxury but the location of the BVP is so much better with it's close proximity to Downtown Disney and the crossroads. The grounds are very nice, big and landscaped. The pools are nice (no comparrison to the hyatt) but perfectly usable and never crowded. The free form one is freezing... we caught the tial of hurricane sandy and it was a bit cold for the first few days. There's a disney shop, a little clothes shop that was reasonable (except for stamps!) a market place that sold food and drink (expensive but very handy) excellent washing laundry that I used three times. You need 5 quarters and a credit card for the $3 fee for machine and $3 for dryer, but $3 is more than enough for a huge load of washing in both and to get it lovely and dry. It's on the second floor so you need to take the lifts that are not for the tower.
I agree reception was hard to find after travelling for 14 hours we stood in the concierge queue for 20 mins with suitcases before anyone said anything. Check in was good though and the one called Danielle was lovely.
They also have a spa which we didn't find until the last day. We were not allowed a late room which distressed me as we were up for 30 hours on the return trip but we used the spa,. It has the 3rd pool adults only though it's overlooked by balconys and little kids hanging over them yelling :P But it's lovely with a hot tub hot showers lovely toiletires and fab staff who wouldn't take a tip when offered.
Our room was on the 21st floor. We emailed them to say we wanted a non smoking room because of my husbands asthma and they upgraded us to a downtown disney view... WOW it was such a view. Wonderful in the sun but as it gets dark and those lights come on it's magical.
There was NO smell apart form the chest of drawers had a very woody smell, but no musty as some have said. It was impeccably clean. Lush comfy bed and sheets. Nice shower and the sink unit was good. The water tasted horrid so we brought water from winn dixie which was $4 for 24 bottles. lasted the whole 14 days. The resort has a fee which covers parking internet etc but virgin holiday guests don't pay it. The interent was super super fast and all those people who say the parking is miles away!! You kidding? Park outside the convention centre. Go in the doors and take the escalator up to the third floor. Very quick and no distance, maybe us brits walk more than americans LOL.
We had a lovely little balcony that was cleaned twice when we were there and was so nice to sit on. We heard no noise from anyone else. The TV was good but not a huge amount of channels we stayed at cocoa beach one night and they had a huge amount of channels. A great hairdryer and coffee maker, they left one coffee sachet a day there so we bought more from goodings at the crossroads. No tea though, well they left tea bags but how do you make that in a coffee maker? no kettle.Air con was fierce indeed. Made my mouth very dry at night. The room maids were nice and polite, they sometimes knocked at 9am to see if we were going out. That was a bit early for me!
My only issue with the place is with the restaurant the steakhouse place... lovely place. Ambience was great, koi carp fish and cocktails to die for. I'd lost my voice and one of those strong cocktails gave it back. However we are vegetarian... now why i hear you ask are 2 veggies in a steak and fish restaurant? We were so tired, we'd been travelling 14 hours. The airplane food was disgusting (virgin atlantic) and I had facebooked the hotel and asked if the restaurant did vegetarian food... YES madam they assured me... we will do you something great. At the front desk of the restaurant I asked the girl... will you have vegetairan food... YES she said ask your server. The server was Luis. Luis must have had abad day as he was the most miserable man I met in florida. We told him we were veggies... "pasta" he said we looked at each other and thought het this is a top class place in america... I bet it will be great. It was the most horrible dish I have ever been served. Penne pasta tossed in a harsh garlic oil with a few bits of roast pepper on top. No sauce no cheese. I ate three pieces and pushed it away, my husband a diabetic ate a couple more but the taste was so bad... someone saw I wasn't eating.. He asked why and I said it was horrible so he brought me a baked potato which we shared half each, so dinner was half a potato and it was not cheap either. No one asked if we were ok, if the meal was ok, if we wanted anything else... we're nice people. We never make a fuss but the service at that place was disgusting and if you are vegetarian as 10% of the population are DO NOT GO THERE. We tipped.... maybe we shouldn't have. They didn't deserve it.
The disney transport is good, they come every 30 minutes, Sometimes a bit hit or miss. They also say different things, one driver told me the last bus was 1 1/2 hours after closing but at epcot the last bus was 20 minutes after closing at 10.20pm. One day we caught the bus to epcot.from the hotel, but it turned into hotel drive and stopped at the holiday inn (which the b bus sisn't meant to do then best western and the wyndham... then it returned to the BVP I was on that bus 30 minutes beofre it even went anywhere! People are right it takes ages to go anywhere but it's free!
On the whole we had a great comfortable happy time and it was a great base and easy to walk to restaurants in the area. ps there's a HESS garage within walking distance that has snacks and stuff cheaper than the hotel if you have no car.

Room Tip: high floor and disney view.... breathtaking
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very nice hotel! This hotel is extremely big. I went there for business and it was cozy and very quiet. I expected it to be a little fancier especially for the cost. The restaurants were nice and the food selection was very good also. I also liked the store they have on the first floor. You can purchase wine or snacks if you like. Overall no complaints.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Sure, they can boast about location since they are literally just across the street from downtown Disney....but that IS where the bragging ends! Upon check in I asked to be in the main building. They sent me across to the "Island" because I had asked for a quiet room. The room was 2 doors down from a noisy elevator. I was then moved to a room, main tower 11th floor. Smelled of cigarette smoke and had "ashes" all over the place to prove it. When I called housekeeping the maid was escorted to my door by her manager, observed the "dust", then an angry maid slammed her vacuum all around the room and blamed my inconvenience on the ceiling fan. The smoke smell lingered until I could take it no more! I was then moved BACK to the island in a two room suite for $50 extra a night! What a gotcha!! Check in failed to give me my "kids eat free voucher" and the Outback restaurant, though I told them when I made my reservation and upon arrival that I was not given any paperwork, said they would call the front desk. Well, no one told the waiter and he was very indignant!! Said he called about the free drink but was not told he had to call about the free kid's meal. I had to leave my table go to the front desk to get something THEY forgot to give me! Ok, so it can not get any worse right? WRONG!!! I had ants in my room in the bathroom on the night we checked in. No biggie, we ARE in Florida, ground floor and it is 76 degrees on November 10! Ants night 2.....early morning bathroom run and there awaits a ROACH!!! Bags, off of floor, zipped and I dial the hotel operator, speak to the kind Garth and say..."ants I can understand, the roach has got to go!! I killed him with my Lysol spray, but I want the room sprayed in the morning please sir!" Yes, the room was sprayed but now what?? My alarm clock, which I have not touched all week goes off moments before this 12:29 am review!!! Yes, that's right, the oldest "we are tired of you" trick in the book, the old "let's disturb your sleep and set the alarm clock to wake you up at midnight thing!"

WTF?!

I travel to Disney every year with several families....we are 7 families strong this year all with children and $$$$ in tow! We spread out, compare properties, and carefully plan for next year's trip! This was the first year any of us have stayed at the Lake Buena Vista Palace and Spa and I promise you, it will be THE last!!
It has literally been my personal trip to hell!

• Stayed November 2012
JoannaFordBVP, Guest Relations Manager at Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear busybee2012, Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I was of course very disappointed to learn that we failed to meet your expectations and that your stay was a less than enjoyable one. We strive to be the best in service and facilities, but we obviously fell short of your expectations in more than one area. I can assure you that your comments will be passed along to our Management Team for immediate review in order t prevent from happening again to future guests. Sincerely,
Palos Verdes Estates, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

It does need a little updating, but it really was a very comfortable place to stay. We were here for 4 nights and were in the Island tower. This was a little walk from the lobby but it was close to the pools. We were here in November, and we didn't use the pool; but there were people out by the pool every day. It was too cold for us (California has better weather!!!). The little mini market in the hotel was pretty overpriced. We had a car so we were able to go to a grocery store about a mile or so away. But the hotel is not so far from the airport and it has buses to all the attractions. You really don't need a car. It was an expensive rental. Paid close to $240 for the 5 days we used it. So think twice about renting a car. You can walk to downtown Disney from the hotel. It was really crowded but we walked into Paridiso and had a great meal. All in all, I would stay here again. Good location with bus service to all the attractions.

Room Tip: We had a suite in the Island tower and it was great. If you have kids, you should look into it
Port Charlotte, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

At this point I've stayed at the Buena Vista Palace on three separate locations, so I'd say I'm pretty familiar with it. It can be a bit pricey at the height of the season, but it can't be beat.

The location is fabulous. With Downtown Disney right across the street, you always have a place to go for a walk or a meal amid the Disney atmosphere, and frequent shuttle buses depart for all the Disney parks.

The rooms are large, comfortable, have fridges, and feature balconies with good views. If you time it right, you can see the fireworks from Magic Kingdom. And I love the soap so much that I've brought some home with me every time!

Downstairs is a mini-mart where you can pick up light meals, wine, and Starbucks any time.

Most recently I stayed over a weekend to celebrate my daughter's 27th birthday. What a great time to get a complimentary bottle of wine and a $75 dinner coupon at The Outback downstairs in the hotel! This is not your normal chain Outback Steakhouse--it's an excellent restaurant with great service and an indoor koi pond. I had lost my coupon somewhere along the way, but they honored it anyway and treated us like royalty. And when the waiter spotted my daughter's "Happy Birthday" button from Disney, he brought her a HUGE piece of cheesecake with a candle sparkling on top. We both ordered the Chef's Special three-course dinner for $35. With a choice of salmon or Delmonico, we were both completely happy with how the meat/fish was prepared and had a lovely evening. Make reservations during the season, because it does get busy at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Water view is good. Don't leave the sliding door open at night if you're near the Downtown...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Suzymobile47, Welcome back and Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter. Thank you for your wonderful review. It was a real pleasure to read. I am so glad that your stay with us here was a memorable one. I will be sure to share your feedback with our entire team as it is always gratifying to know that we have provided exceptional service and that their efforts did not go unnoticed. Thank again for posting your review. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Most sincerely,
Safety Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel was clear and very upscale. The check-in area was not easy to find. You just didn't walk up to the counter. You had to go around a hall way and then continue in the back of the hotel. The check-in is actually on the 3rd floor which is confusing as the restaurants are on the 1st floor. Th room was clear and very modern. The sheets were a little too starchy/itchey. We had a nice view of the fireworks from Epcot which was nice. Downtown Disney is directly across the street which was a plus. The shuttle to Epcot was longer than we expected. The ride home took 30 minutes and we were only 5 miles away. We ate breakfast at the Buffet. Price was a little steep $19.95++ . Eggs tasted funny. Everything else was good. If I had a choose next time I would chose another hotel nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can see the fireworks and away from the elevators. The elevators are every...
Milton, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here 3 nights for a conference and I found the resort to be great. The location is very convenient to Downtown Disney (right across the street). They even have a bus stop that will pick you up from the resort to take you to the Disney Resorts. There are a few restaurants on site, pool, outdoor activities, gym, spa, and other amenities. The rooms are very nice and each includes its own little balcony that adds a nice touch. I would definitely consider coming here again.

Room Tip: 26th floor is the top floor. it is a great view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear bentleyj111, Thank you for the nice review. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay during your conference at our hotel. And very pleased that you had the opportunity to experience the hotel and great location during your busy schedule. Thanks for the great feedback and we hope you can com back soon so spend more time here at our hotel. Most sincerely,

Been to Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!