“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #215 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Sure, they can boast about location since they are literally just across the street from downtown Disney....but that IS where the bragging ends! Upon check in I asked to be in the main building. They sent me across to the "Island" because I had asked for a quiet room. The room was 2 doors down from a noisy elevator. I was then moved to a room, main tower 11th floor. Smelled of cigarette smoke and had "ashes" all over the place to prove it. When I called housekeeping the maid was escorted to my door by her manager, observed the "dust", then an angry maid slammed her vacuum all around the room and blamed my inconvenience on the ceiling fan. The smoke smell lingered until I could take it no more! I was then moved BACK to the island in a two room suite for $50 extra a night! What a gotcha!! Check in failed to give me my "kids eat free voucher" and the Outback restaurant, though I told them when I made my reservation and upon arrival that I was not given any paperwork, said they would call the front desk. Well, no one told the waiter and he was very indignant!! Said he called about the free drink but was not told he had to call about the free kid's meal. I had to leave my table go to the front desk to get something THEY forgot to give me! Ok, so it can not get any worse right? WRONG!!! I had ants in my room in the bathroom on the night we checked in. No biggie, we ARE in Florida, ground floor and it is 76 degrees on November 10! Ants night 2.....early morning bathroom run and there awaits a ROACH!!! Bags, off of floor, zipped and I dial the hotel operator, speak to the kind Garth and say..."ants I can understand, the roach has got to go!! I killed him with my Lysol spray, but I want the room sprayed in the morning please sir!" Yes, the room was sprayed but now what?? My alarm clock, which I have not touched all week goes off moments before this 12:29 am review!!! Yes, that's right, the oldest "we are tired of you" trick in the book, the old "let's disturb your sleep and set the alarm clock to wake you up at midnight thing!"

WTF?!

I travel to Disney every year with several families....we are 7 families strong this year all with children and $$$$ in tow! We spread out, compare properties, and carefully plan for next year's trip! This was the first year any of us have stayed at the Lake Buena Vista Palace and Spa and I promise you, it will be THE last!!
It has literally been my personal trip to hell!

• Stayed November 2012
JoannaFordBVP, Guest Relations Manager at Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear busybee2012, Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I was of course very disappointed to learn that we failed to meet your expectations and that your stay was a less than enjoyable one. We strive to be the best in service and facilities, but we obviously fell short of your expectations in more than one area. I can assure you that your comments will be passed along to our Management Team for immediate review in order t prevent from happening again to future guests. Sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
Palos Verdes Estates, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

It does need a little updating, but it really was a very comfortable place to stay. We were here for 4 nights and were in the Island tower. This was a little walk from the lobby but it was close to the pools. We were here in November, and we didn't use the pool; but there were people out by the pool every day. It was too cold for us (California has better weather!!!). The little mini market in the hotel was pretty overpriced. We had a car so we were able to go to a grocery store about a mile or so away. But the hotel is not so far from the airport and it has buses to all the attractions. You really don't need a car. It was an expensive rental. Paid close to $240 for the 5 days we used it. So think twice about renting a car. You can walk to downtown Disney from the hotel. It was really crowded but we walked into Paridiso and had a great meal. All in all, I would stay here again. Good location with bus service to all the attractions.

Room Tip: We had a suite in the Island tower and it was great. If you have kids, you should look into it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Charlotte, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

At this point I've stayed at the Buena Vista Palace on three separate locations, so I'd say I'm pretty familiar with it. It can be a bit pricey at the height of the season, but it can't be beat.

The location is fabulous. With Downtown Disney right across the street, you always have a place to go for a walk or a meal amid the Disney atmosphere, and frequent shuttle buses depart for all the Disney parks.

The rooms are large, comfortable, have fridges, and feature balconies with good views. If you time it right, you can see the fireworks from Magic Kingdom. And I love the soap so much that I've brought some home with me every time!

Downstairs is a mini-mart where you can pick up light meals, wine, and Starbucks any time.

Most recently I stayed over a weekend to celebrate my daughter's 27th birthday. What a great time to get a complimentary bottle of wine and a $75 dinner coupon at The Outback downstairs in the hotel! This is not your normal chain Outback Steakhouse--it's an excellent restaurant with great service and an indoor koi pond. I had lost my coupon somewhere along the way, but they honored it anyway and treated us like royalty. And when the waiter spotted my daughter's "Happy Birthday" button from Disney, he brought her a HUGE piece of cheesecake with a candle sparkling on top. We both ordered the Chef's Special three-course dinner for $35. With a choice of salmon or Delmonico, we were both completely happy with how the meat/fish was prepared and had a lovely evening. Make reservations during the season, because it does get busy at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Water view is good. Don't leave the sliding door open at night if you're near the Downtown...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Suzymobile47, Welcome back and Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter. Thank you for your wonderful review. It was a real pleasure to read. I am so glad that your stay with us here was a memorable one. I will be sure to share your feedback with our entire team as it is always gratifying to know that we have provided exceptional service and that their efforts did not go unnoticed. Thank again for posting your review. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Most sincerely,
Safety Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel was clear and very upscale. The check-in area was not easy to find. You just didn't walk up to the counter. You had to go around a hall way and then continue in the back of the hotel. The check-in is actually on the 3rd floor which is confusing as the restaurants are on the 1st floor. Th room was clear and very modern. The sheets were a little too starchy/itchey. We had a nice view of the fireworks from Epcot which was nice. Downtown Disney is directly across the street which was a plus. The shuttle to Epcot was longer than we expected. The ride home took 30 minutes and we were only 5 miles away. We ate breakfast at the Buffet. Price was a little steep $19.95++ . Eggs tasted funny. Everything else was good. If I had a choose next time I would chose another hotel nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can see the fireworks and away from the elevators. The elevators are every...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here 3 nights for a conference and I found the resort to be great. The location is very convenient to Downtown Disney (right across the street). They even have a bus stop that will pick you up from the resort to take you to the Disney Resorts. There are a few restaurants on site, pool, outdoor activities, gym, spa, and other amenities. The rooms are very nice and each includes its own little balcony that adds a nice touch. I would definitely consider coming here again.

Room Tip: 26th floor is the top floor. it is a great view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear bentleyj111, Thank you for the nice review. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay during your conference at our hotel. And very pleased that you had the opportunity to experience the hotel and great location during your busy schedule. Thanks for the great feedback and we hope you can com back soon so spend more time here at our hotel. Most sincerely,
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just got back from three nights here. The price is good, the location is good. The hotel is large, friendly, good rooms, good bathroom, comfortable beds. Three big problems for me - the free wifi is so weak the signal barely reaches your room and you can not download new mail, data, etc. so it is basically useless. Second problem was the mold in our room. We literally had it covering the AC grill, there was mold on the bedroom ceiling, on the bedroom walls, on the bathroom walls and ceiling. I did not notice this anywhere else in the hotel, in the common areas, just in our room. Don't know if this is a hotel wide problem, or just our room. Third, the sheets on one of the beds in our room were all stained up and dirty. I don't think our sheets had been changed from the previous user. There were dirty shoe marks on the sheets like a sneaker imprint. Perhaps this was a permanent stain on the sheets and not necessarily dirty sheets, but it was a bit of a turnoff. Another plus was that the towels were large, soft and plentiful. Water pressure is good in the shower. Overall, the hotel is probably a very good deal for those in the Disney area. Not quite sure I would stay there again, but am not ready to completely rule it out yet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Southwest US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I visited Orlando the last week in October for a business meeting and trade show and took the family along to enjoy Orlando's attractions before and after my two days of meetings. My conference was held at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel so I stayed there. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn near Sea World for three nights prior to checking in at the Buena Vista Palace. Traveling with a family of five, I was initially concerned about needing to get a suite to accommodate everyone, but the front desk quickly had a rollaway sent to our room and didn't charge me for it which made me very happy.

Compared to the Residence Inn, this hotel had quieter rooms and better beds, bedding, towels, views (pool), front-desk service, and proximity to Disney. The Residence Inn had a better and more convenient pool area. My kids gave the Palace the thumbs up over Residence Inn which is a pretty lofty endorsement. I may have received a great room rate with the conference, but I compared my rate (around $98) against other options and we stayed here for at least $50 per night less than we would have spent staying at the Disney-owned budget hotels like Pop Century. We had a rental car which made it easy to get to the many nearby and inexpensive restaurants for breakfast. I can't comment on the hotel's breakfast other than to say that the one breakfast I had as a conference attendee was excellent. My only mild complaint is that this hotel and its grounds are expansive so it is a fairly long distance to walk to the self-parking and pool areas. However distances are all relative as these walks are a piece of cake when compared to the distances you will walk at the theme parks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sulu32. Thank you so much for taking the time to share yours and your families experience here at the palace during your conference. I was so glad that you and your family had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the comfort of our guestrooms, our fantastic location to Disney and great amenities. It was extra special to know that the kids love us. We hope you will come back to visit us again real soon.

Been to Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!