“Comfortable beds, spacious, bright, relaxing!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 328 hotels in Orlando
MA
“Comfortable beds, spacious, bright, relaxing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Stayed here for a week in February '09. The rooms are as advertised and as reviewed here. I found the beds very comfortable and our teen who slept on the pull out sofa in the second bedroom even said that provided a good night's sleep. We were in building 64 "Islamadora" and this was a great location - on the lake with a lovely view from the porch (we even caught a slight view of the fireworks at 9pm each night). Close to the pools (there are 3 of them) and close to the activity and boating center. My parents stayed with us and we never felt crowded since the units are so spacious. We would prefer a larger second bedroom with 2 beds instead of the one bed and pull out sofa. The hot tub in the master is just a huge waste of space - it seems Marriott has dispensed with these old space hogs in their newer timeshares - yeah!

We enjoyed the island pool but found the hot tubs here sub standard as most of the jets simply did not work. The clubhouse pool was great and the hot tubs there were toasty and operating perfectly. We did not use the smaller third pool by the activity center but my parents thought is was a PLUS that this pool was designated quiet and adults only for portions of the day which, had we spent more time there, they felt they would have really enjoyed.

We enjoyed the activity center - rented a pontoon boat which was fun. My daughter loved ferrying me around the lake. We also did spend one day at the resort and did the tie-dye activity and played some video games in the arcade and enjoyed the ice cream sundae offering. My parents also caught the Hawaiian Luau one night at the clubhouse and while they thought it would be better outdoors (it was held indoors due to cold weather) they really enjoyed the show. Bottom line, there is enough to do here to just relax and enjoy the resort. Acitivites we wish we had done: rented the quad bikes, done the mini golf course and done a second round out on the lake in the swan paddle boats. This being said, however, I (and the kids) do believe the "fun" factor for kids is higher at the more elaborately pirate themed Marriott Horizons across the street where we stayed this same time last year but you can't beat the comfort and relaxed atmosphere here at Cypress.

Our only (and minor) complaints: The kitchen just did not have enough pans and bakeware - we had only a single fry pan that was not non-stick and EVERYTHING stuck to it making a disaster of a morning when we tried to make pancakes and left us juggling to cook the bacon. They need more than a single fry pan and please make it nonstick! We also bought muffins and quick bread to make only to find no muffin pans and no loaf pans - kind of ruined our scheme for quick and easy breakfasts. I guess they just assume folks really don't cook even though they provide a full kitchen? I also didn't like the sub par hot tubs at the island pool - I made the kids go to the clubhouse pool every time even though it was further away. My parents also complained of an electrical fan/humming noise at night although we did not hear this in the other bedroom. I also found the shower layout in the master a bit odd - the toilet and shower are enclosed in a seperate room while the sinks and whirlpool tub are open to the room itself. However, the shower also has a frosted glass wall that also is viewable from the room. I guess they plan on couples only in the masters at Marriotts (the shower was also viewable from the room itself at Horizons) but it offers less privacy than some might want if sharing without a significant other. My daughter and I actually shared the master and I routinely found myself banned from the room as she showered due to lack of privacy! Not a big deal - but a bit strange - these are not "honeymoon" suites - they are family oriented - just give folks some privacy in the shower already!

Overall we'd recommend this resort is you want a spacious, bright, comfortable place to stretch out and relax. I can't imagine why folks would pack their families into tiny hotel rooms at Disney prices when you can have a spacious full living room, kitchen and two seperate bedrooms at Marriott vacation properties. If your younger kids want a higher "fun" factor - stay across the street at Horizons. If you want comfort, quiet, lovely grounds and many nice pool options - stay at Cypress.

1,099 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

I've just returned to the UK having spent 7 days in this wonderful resort with my wife and 2 young boys (5 and 7 at the time of writing). We stayed in the last week of Feb 09 when the weather ranged from the upper 60s to the low 80s - sunny spells but a little breezy.

Before I continue I should probably point out that this review may be slightly skewed because I got the stay for free using my Marriott Rewards points so for me it scores highly in the value stakes (although on site facilities such as bike and boat rentals, mini golf etc were reasonable value too).

The property is gorgeous and beautifully maintained. In the UK I'm used to faceless Marriott hotels aimed at the business traveller so it was a wonderful surprise to find them running a property which has real character and charm. The staff are excellent; very friendly and attentive without being intrusive (especially Dave and the staff at the boat house). Even the guys trying to sign us up for the ownership sales pitch only called once and applied no pressure what so ever. The other guests also made it a great stay. Everyone was polite and had a smile and there weren't any rowdy elements ... it was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

We spent the previous week in Vista Cay and from the pics/reviews I'd seen on TripAdvisor I was a little concerned as to whether the Marriott property would be a step down because some of the rooms at Cypress Harbour looked a little tired on the traveller photos compared to the modern condos in Vista Cay. I needn't have worried, our apartment in building 70 was lovely. The yellow/blue colour scheme isn't entirely to my taste but everything was bright, well maintained and in good condition.

The pool areas are impeccable and the water was heated to a pleasant temperature which made for swimming fun even when the temps were only in the upper 60s/lower 70s. We also enjoyed the quad bikes (bicycles not motorcycles!), ice cream social, mini golf and paddle boats but there are loads of other activities on offer many of which are either free or have a nominal cost ($2 or $3).

I can't understand anyone not rating this as "Very Good" or "Excellent" but I guess it depends on what you paid for it. My only minor quibble was with the in room internet. THIS IS FREE but it is fixed (ethernet cable), you need to sign up every day for another free 24 hours (only takes a couple of seconds) and the download speed is limited to 256kbps ... and even then it seems slightly hit and miss.

The location is good for parks and shopping although my sat nav (TomTom) seemed to have some interesting ideas about the best routes to take to get to various locations ... it had a real attraction to using Turkey Lake Road for just about every trip which seems unnecessary when I-drive, the 528 and I4 are so close. Publix and Wal-Mart are a 5 and 10 minute drive respectively and the hotel in room guides are refreshingly honest in recommending that you use these rather than relying on the small in-resort market.

This property is, without a shadow of a doubt, the finest I've ever stayed in in Florida and I've visited 7 or 8 times now. It blows Bahama Bay and Vista Cay out of the water in terms of the quality of service and resort amenities.

Next time we return to Florida Marriott's Cypress Harbour will be at the top of my list (although I'll need to clock up more Marriott points to keep the price down!).

Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

My family and I just returned from a week's stay at Cypress Harbour. From the day we checked-in to the day we checked-out, everything was perfect. The suites have all the comforts of home and are very spacious. The previous reviews which describe the suites and the resort facilities are accurate, so I will not repeat them. Don't let the negative reviews about this place discourage you. No place is perfect, but this resort makes every effort to maintain the highest standards. If you want peace and quiet (like we did), there are suites at the far end of the resort overlooking a golf course. It is a bit of a walk to the pools, but we appreciated the tranquility. Compared to the miles we walked during the course of days at EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom, it was nothing. And speaking of Disney, it was such a relief at the end of a LONG day at the parks to arrive back at Cypress Harbour. There is such a thing as Disney overload (i.e. the crowds, the noise, the theme music, the lines) and it was good to get away from it. The best advice we followed from a previous reviewer is to stock up on supplies at the Publix supermarket about a mile away (you can find it quickly using GPS). We bought water to take with us each day at the parks and also stocked up on breakfast supplies (cereal, milk, juice, muffins and fruit) to have each morning in our suite. We also bought bread, peanut butter and jelly for making sandwiches for our picky eaters. This resort is well worth the money and we look forward to returning.

Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

This is our 2nd visit to this Marriott timeshare and we absolutely love the place! We hook up with my daughter and her family (including in-laws) and we all meet at Cypress Harbour for a wonderful holiday visit - this year the weather was a bit chilly but that didn't stop the kids from going in the pool - and, what a pool area it is - there's not one area but around 3 different places you can go to swim - one is a very secluded island pool - gorgeous. And, the rooms are huge - w/jacuzzi tub for two, balcony overlooking a beautiful lake, large dining and kitchen area, two spacious bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - there is so much to do in this area trying to figure out where to stay shouldn't be a priority and, with the knowledge that Cypress Harbour is so close to everything and has everything we're looking for - you'll be seeing us every year - count on it!

• Liked — Spacious unit - has everything you need to make for a wonderful stay
  • Disliked — internet use is NOT FREE!!!!!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I traded into this resort through Interval International, and it was a very nice resort. We were able to check in around 1PM on Sunday (the regular check in time is 4PM), and we ended up with a 2BR unit on the back side of the resort. Nice view of the golf course, and just a small walk to the Island pool. The unit itself was very clean and updated, the beds super comfortable. I didn't mind the setup with the shower in the master BR, but it was a little odd. The activity center had a ton of nice activities set up, either free or with a modest charge. The staff was very friendly ! I hope we can swap into this resort again.

• Liked — beautiful pools, hot tubs, units
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norwich, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

This was the best resort we have stayed at since owing our time share for six years. We exchanged into this resort and would recommend it highly. Marriot knows what they are doing with guest relations. Everyone from check in staff, maintainance, groundskeepers, boat staff, etc. was so friendly and helpful. The location was great. We enjoyed Sea World fireworks each night as we were located behind the park. Needless to say we could get around to many attractions if we choose but there is so much to do right at the resort you don't have to venture out. The resort has three pools, boat rides, walking trails, basketball, billards, ping-pong, videos, etc. We enjoyed the roomy feeling the resort has. It is laid out so you are not on top of others. I cannot write enough wonderful things about this resort. We hope to return when we travel to Florida.

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — -----
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
County Wicklow, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

We have just returned from an 11 night stay at the Marriott Cypress Harbour with our two young daughters. We had a lovely spacious two bedroomed apartment (although rather odd musty smell when we entered after a day out). Our requirements were well matched, however, pls note that the second bedroom is a very compact space. There is a queen sized bed and a sofa bed. We did not use the sofa bed, but I would expect there would be almost no floor space left if it were up. We loved the heated pools, the daily ice cream socials, childrens activities and enjoyed the odd evening entertainment we were around for. It was great to be in a "resort" that kept the children entertained and happy, as a welcome alternative to the parks. We wished there had been more of a proper bar in the main building - not a couple of sofas and plastic cups. We used the shop a little, and ordered food on a few occasions which was always satisfactory. We were close to the parks and unfortunately for my wallet, the Orlando Premium Outlet.

Nearby restaurants we recommend: Seasons 52 for a lovely grown up dinner - Maggianos and Cafe Tu Tu Tango for families.

• Liked — On site facilities.
  • Disliked — Lack of supervised activites for children.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott's Cypress Harbour? Share your experiences!