“Great Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Metropolitan Express

You added The Metropolitan Express to your Saves list
The Metropolitan Express
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6323 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819 (Florida Center)   |
Ranked #271 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
“Great Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A holiday of a lifetime I would stay there again especially when universal studio was only 10 minutes walk which was also a great place to go if you want a great time. The other great thing about Orlando was the restaurants mmmmmmmm.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Cleveland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We planned a last-minute mini-vacation to Florida during Thanksgiving break. We just needed to get away from the cold Cleveland weather and planned a budget-cutting trip. The Floridian Express seemed like the perfect place to stay, it was located on International drive, and only 10 minutes away by foot from Orlando Studios, where I wanted to go to see Harry Potter World. It was also a convenient location because the public bus (LYNX) stops right in front of the hotel. We weren't expecting much from this trip or from the hotel.
When we checked in, we were welcomed by Fernando, who sold discount tickets to the parks. He was very welcoming and friendly! I wish I knew that the hotel lobby sold tickets, I would have saved myself $50 if I bought my tickets from Fernando instead of purchasing them online.
The receptionist that checked us in was probably the highlight of our vacation. Her name was Randa (Raghida), she was extremely welcoming, friendly, and professional. She spoke our native language and it was such a pleasure to be welcomed by a native speaker. She helped us figure out our plans and printed us out directions to where we wanted to go. She went above and beyond her job qualifications to make sure we have a pleasant stay. I believe she is way overqualified for her job, and with the transition that this hotel was making from The Metropolitan, she deserves a promotion or a raise for how well she handled her job. She was more helpful than the other receptionist I spoke to on the phone before our check-in, who only lived in Orlando for a month so far as she mentioned. Randa knew her way around town and helped us make our daily plans with a smile!
The room itself was very accommodating, it was right next to the pool and the hall that served breakfast. The only problem was that the AC was leaking water, so when we walked next to the AC to adjust it, our socks would get wet. So we wore flip-flops, big deal!
Another thing that the management should take care of is the sign of the hotel. Management simply glued up a sign with a white background and "FLORIDIAN" written in black letters over the pre-existing Metropolitan sign. We checked in at night, so the sign was very confusing since the lights from the sign blend with the white background. If the management cannot afford taking down the sign completely and making a new one, I would suggest printing out the FLORIDIAN on BLACK background with white letters so it is readable at night.
For a two star hotel, the accommodations were satisfactory, but the staff went above and beyond to make sure we felt welcomed. I don't think we would have gotten this same welcoming atmosphere for the price we paid anywhere else!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the first floor, by the pool and the breakfast hall!
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here in September, and had a pleasant stay, but today had £315.64 taken out of our bank account by Floridan Express. Do not give them your card details. Our holiday was paid in full before we went and we checked out with no money due. We gave them our card details as you do when you check in, but they have fraudulently taken money out of our account!!!! We have reported the transaction to our banks fraud department.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Arrived and given the only two rooms available on the first floor. One room ok (only just) one room missing tap in bathroom no safe, nowhere to hang any clothes and only three small draws in the room for other storage, no towel rail in the bathroom, bathroom floor absolute filthy, carpets needing a good clean, cigarette butts on the floor for about four days. Bed linen worn out and stained not sure if it was changed in the eleven days we were there. Hair found on the toilet seat on arrival. Air conditioning unit falling apart. Wifi intermittent and one day didn't work at all. Breakfast wasn't good, no cereal, milk, bread, butter or jam on numerous days lady serving at the breakfast bar was very unhelpful and not a very happy lady, we even had to get the hotel manager to come and stock up the supplies as she refused to do so. Sink in one room leaking and wiped the floor and was discussed at the dirt that was left behind on the towel afterwards which we took to reception and the lady behind reception said she would get house keeping to make sure the room was fully cleaned. Overall hotel need a total renovation as it is looking very worn out and shabby the only good point is it's location on international drive. The hotel manager was excellent and very helpful and the staff behind reception were very obliging and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room on the second floor as the rooms on the ground floor have yet to be updated...
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

At a $25 per night deal with breakfast, shuttle service, and wifi, how could I say no? Well, we quickly learned that it comes with a price. Once we walked in the door, we received a greeting from the "concierge" who was really just a person wanting to sell us on coupons and tickets for the parks - little did she know we got guest passes from our friends who worked there. We were pushed aside twice by Spanish-speaking patrons, and the front desk person, Kathy, barely greeted us and hardly looked up from her computer and paper. She sighed when we walked up and scowled as she told us their system went down and there was no way she could check us in. She waved us over to the chairs in the lobby and about ten minutes later, she was able to check us in. She just shoved the room keys and the receipt at us and told us our room number. The entire hotel is on one level, so thankfully the haul wasn't too bad from the lobby. We get to the room, and there are water stains on the carpet from the refrigerator (that wasn't cold), rusty looking stains on the curtains, mildew on the caulk in the sink, and water pooled in a divot in the bathtub. The toilet ran constantly. The beds were tiny (we had to sleep in separate beds because we're used to sleeping in a queen size bed and these were barely a full), but I found them pretty comfortable. After all, we really only used them for sleeping since most of our days were spent at the parks and out with friends. Several times our key card wouldn't work on the gate reader so we'd have to walk all the way through the lobby to get to our room, and the parking lot was so small that we usually had to park in the front by the shops next to the hotel. They must have recently changed their name because on the signage, they just pasted the "Floridian" over the "Metropolitan"... in the daytime you hardly notice it, but at night, it's super noticeable. The third day, our toilet stopped flushing (and running, so it was finally quiet), and took several tries to get it to work. My husband had to fiddle with it to finally get it to go down, but that caused it to start running again. It got really cold the third night, so we tried to turn the heat on (not something Florida is used to, apparently) and it smelled like something was burning, so we just toughed it out and slept with extra layers. The "breakfast" was three types of cereal, bread for toast, and a waffle maker (which was always so crowded that it wasn't worth the wait). I just settled for coffee - not good. I'm not even sure how it's possible to still have coffee breath after drinking hot brown water that didn't even resemble anything coffee-related. At the end of our stay, Kathy was a the desk to check us out, but not after being interrupted twice by another Spanish-speaking patron. She asked us the room number, snatched up our room keys, and said "okay thank you", all without looking us in the eye or showing any form of emotion on her face. Honestly, the experience was all to be expected because I paid a whopping $25 a night, but it just taught me that if I'm going to Orlando to visit the major theme parks, I should probably stay at a resort, because the hassle of coming back to frustration isn't worth the ridiculously cheap deal. That said, International Drive is insanely close to Universal and just a short drive on I-4 to Disney, and I-Drive is full of some neat attractions on its own. I'm actually interested to see how the Orlando Eye will look once it's finished. It's got a lot going on in such a small area, but it's definitely worth a peek if you're wanting to do more than just the theme parks. I'm not totally disappointed in this hotel, because seriously, it met my expectations... my expectations were low, but they were met. I'll be staying on Disney property next time, because there's no way I'll be coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I travelled to Florida with a friend and we wanted somewhere on idrive that was cheap. We were on a budget but didn't really need a luxurious hotel. Wouldn't choose to stay here with my husband or family as too scare very basic but for us to crash after a busy day round the parks thus did the trick. Rooms were a little damp but apparently a few people have said this about the humidity in Orlando.

Can't really complain due to price, but staff were great and didn't treat you any different helped us with our safe and tv

Room Tip: Get what you pay for great little place for bargain orlando trip central for universal and disney
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family and I stayed for 10 nights and found everything to be just fine, the staff especially Ana were really helpful and apart from them cleaning the room every day despite us leaving the 'Do not disturb' sign on the door all was well! the place is basic but comes with a large fridge & microwave, you get a free waffle & toast based breakfast which sets you up for the day, it's well placed for all the big attractions (universal is a $6 cab ride for 4) and has plenty of shops & restaurants within a short stroll the new owners are currently revamping the place and making improvements. all in all a good value place to base yourself for a holiday.

Room Tip: keep away from the interstate side & try to get near the reception as it's a big place and c...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Metropolitan Express? Share your experiences!