“This isn't a resort.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SUNSOL International Drive

You added SUNSOL International Drive to your Saves list
SUNSOL International Drive
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   5859 American Way, Orlando, FL 32819 (Formerly Super 8 Orlando-International Drive)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #137 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“This isn't a resort.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I got a deal for this place from Groupon. It was a steal for this area in Orlando. I pulled up my voucher to see what time we could check in and noticed a lot of complaints regarding their groupon reservation. I decided to call and check. After holding for 15 minutes and spelling my last name 4 times they confirmed my reservation.

When I arrived at the sunsol I noticed that the lobby was modern and clean looking. The staff wasn't very friendly. The girl helping me told me I didn't have a reservation and maybe it was under someone else's name. After showing her my groupon she was able to pull it up.

We found our room quickly, on the 4th floor pool view. It was nicer than I thought it would be. The beds were really comfy. The shower was a joke it was impossible to not get water everywhere. The toilet flushed so slow I was concerned. There was no remote for the tv, we called the front desk and they brought one up right away. There was a microwave, small fridge and one of those tiny coffee pots. At this point I was happy until we went to sleep that night. I'm trying to explain it the best I can but the door doesn't look like it fits the door frame. The noise was ridiculous. You hear everything even someone walking down the hall. In the morning people were out and about early around 7am it was a nightmare. What good is the hotel if you can't even get a decent night sleep? After reading some other reviews here it looks like a lot of other rooms have this problem.

We were here two nights. The day after we checked in our room was cleaned. We received all fresh towels. That night when I got out of the shower and reached for a towel I noticed it had hair all in it. Either they gave me a dirty towel or they are over stuffing their washers and dryers.

I didn't even attempt the continental breakfast due to all of the reviews on that cluster.

On their website it says checkout at 1130am. On the day we were leaving they knocked on our door at 10 am to confirm we were leaving and asked what time. Really?!?!

Also groupon said there was a $5 per day resort fee. They charged me $8 per day. I am going to call and ask for my money back. It looks like I am not the only one with that issue either. If they don't want to help me I will call my credit card company.

Overall Sunsol deserves 2 1/2 stars at best. The room appeared nice but the quality below the surface was sub par. Also there are no vending machines or ice.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sunsol_Hoteles, Director de Relaciones Públicas at SUNSOL International Drive, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear guest, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Here at SUNSOL we greatly value our guests´ opinions and are constantly striving to provide better service. Your input will be taken into consideration and hope you visit us again to check for improvements made in your benefit. Have a wonderful day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Seymour, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Oh gosh! Where do I begin. First off we had planned a 4 night stay through groupon for a tremendous deal. After weighing everyone else's negative comments we decided to try it anyway. After our flight from Connecticut we arrived around noon to the most miserable woman behind the front desk I have ever met In my life. Her name was Isabella. She did not so much as smile once, greet myself or my family, or make us feel like a guest at all! She told us we had to come back at 3 to check in there was nothing she could do about it. Thankfully there was a Denny's within walking distance and we had a long lunch. When we got back at 3 they did not have our reservation correct and we had to show Isabella the groupon and argue about the "resort fee" which they overcharged us for. The staffs famous line is "there is nothing we can do about it". Well after all of that they gave us the wrong room we had to go back and switch. We finally got the room fixed and upon arriving the keys did not work. When I walked back to the front desk I could hear them talking about me in Spanish but could not make it out. When we finally settled into our room I went to use the computer. I use the internet frequently for my job and it was a deciding factor in booking the trip. It did not work the entire stay. Everytime I called or went to the front desk they said that an offsite tech needed to reset it and it would be just a few more minutes. When I complained to the front desk their response was "sir you did not pay for the internet, it was included for free". How rude! Next the pool bar was anything but a bar. Very friendly surfer staff member in there who was the only nice person I saw all trip. Don't order any food. Half of it they advertise having but don't actually have behind the counter. Over half of my food was unable to be made. Breakfast was a joke. Imagine 100 people in a line waiting for food in a room that does not flow. It was chaotic to say the least, but free so there can't be too much complaining. Plan on stopping at walgreens before going to sleep. There aren't any vending machines to get a snack or drinks. Last, our flight got messed up causing us to have to stay another night. The man behind the desk when I got there told me to try booking an extra day online or going to another hotel! Are you kidding me! Said he couldn't help me and id have to come back in the morning to check out and check back in. I left my contact information while i was there for the manager to call me but she never did and the employees said they had no way of contacting her. Needless to say I will never ever be staying here again and unless they change management and staff I would advise you to stay away as well. As far as locations go there is a mini golf course , wet n wild, and fun spot all close with universal being about a 20 dollar cab ride away. Not too bad but Very disappointing overall.

• Stayed February 2014
Miami, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We came to Orlando from Miami for two days. Since we were just going to see a few parks, we could not justify paying $200+ for the cheapest Disney property (they are really a ripoff), so we stayed here. I found a Groupon for this hotel for $59 per night, so two nights, with tax, was only $132.76. Not bad.

The "resort" (glorified motel, really) is in a typical hotel village, surrounded by other budget properties (Red Roof Inn, Super 8, etc.) and is right off of International Drive, closer to Universal than to Disney.

The room was ok, decorated in lots of cheap-looking plastic, but the bed was comfortable. There was a microwave and a fridge, and one of those little pots that makes terrible coffee. But at least they tried. The only bad thing was the bathroom. There was a big shower but the flimsy curtain did not go all the way to the floor, so it was impossible to shower without getting water everywhere. When flushing the toilet, it would slowly swirl round & round, and would finally go down (very weakly). It took 2 or 3 flushes each time. And the smell! Wow. I don't know if it was sewage, or mildew, or what, but the bathroom had a horrible odor. I bought some Lysol as soon as I arrived.

Housekeeping only provided 2 towels but I called the front desk for 2 more and they arrived within 15 minutes.

Again, not bad, but don't expect anything fancy. If you just want somewhere to sleep, it's ok. Oh, and what's with the $8 per day "resort fee"? I paid it, but it is undoubtedly a rip off.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel for our Orlando trip. We booked it through a Groupon deal and had some issues initially with our reservation not going through. So after reserving with groupon, verify by calling the hotel. Groupon resend the reservation and we were all set. Resort fee exists and not part of the groupon but it was nominal.

A decent breakfast is included - we were satisfied. Go early to the breakfast 7AM to 9:30AM only and it can get crowded pretty soon. You can find seats in the pool area as well. Location is the best if you need to get to Universal Studios. Shuttle is there but only at one specified time for pickup and drop-off. We used it for visiting the Universal Studios. However, the disney shuttle is late at 10AM and picks up late at 10:30 PM. We did not wait for that because it would delay your whole day. Get a rental car as taxi fares to Disney can be around 50 dollars. Reception can arrange taxi and they do arrive on time - the hotel do not charge anything for this. Most taxis accept only cash. An ATM is located in the lobby but get ready to pay high service charge.

Plenty of restaurants at walkable distance for eating out. Delivery from Dominos pizza was available and they had no trouble coming to our room. Traffic is heavy in this area. One more thing, they do not provide water bottles inside the room - so get them before you retire or remember to order with your food.

Room Tip: Odd room numbers and even room numbers are back to back. So don't get alarmed when you see 441...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, thanks for sharing your experience at SUNSOL Hotels with us. We are glad you had a pleasant stay and hope you visit us again in the near future, so we can provide even better service. Have a great day.
Castle Rock, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Some simple tweaks could save this place a lot of trouble. There was no ice machine, no soda machine, no latch lock on the doors, no where to put soap in the showers and I asked for a remote THREE times! No do not disturb sign either. What????? No hot tub I get but come on!!! At least breakfast was free...

Stayed February 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

First off my family and I arrived at the hotel at about noon, we went inside to check in and the receptionist told us we had to leave and return at 3 when the check in time begins. Not only were we tired from the long drive but we had 2 children who were fussy and just wanted to get out of their car seats! When we returned at about 2:30, Isabella, the receptionist I guess finally gave in a told my family and I we could check in a little early. Her attitude was so negative, not even a smile came out of her face nor did a "hello" or "thank you" out of her mouth. Being that she works with people all day I figured she would've at least had the decency to look us in the eye. Anyway, I had a seperate room for my son and I when I got there it was not even clean! Thankfully I got to relax in my sister and her family's room until mine was being cleaned. When I got back to my finally clean (or so I thought) room it was disgusting! I not only found hair on the bathroom floor but also hair wrapped in a towel. This is by far the worst hotel experience I've ever had. For a few dollars more I could have just stayed a much nicer hotel one with better customer service too. Save yourselves from wasting your money and turn back around!

• Stayed February 2014
Jupiter, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I recently stay at the hotel for my friend's bachelorette weekend. This hotel was terrible. While my bed was fairly comfortable, my roommate's bed was way too bouncy. I never like getting my hotel cleaned when i'm just staying for two nights but they didn't supply us with a do not disturb sign! We made our own and they removed it. When I complained i was told, very rudely i might add, that I should have requested one. Seriously? have you ever had to do that?!

There we no vending or soda machines in the hotel so if you woke up in the middle of the night and were thirsty, you were just screwed.

Breakfast was way too crowded in a very small room. The coffee was gross and the muffins and donuts were stale.

I can't stress enough how loud this hotel is. YOU HEAR EVERYTHING from the halls and your neighbors and your neighbor's neighbors.

The internet wouldn't work. When we called to complain they said they'd fix it, it never got fixed in the two nights we were there.

When checking in I had to pay a $5 a night resort fee, which I knew about ahead of time, but they charged my friend an $8 resort fee!

The staff was incredibly rude and most of them didn't speak english very well.

Finally, late checkout… I have never stayed at a hotel that wouldn't at least give you an extra hour. This hotel said no. Seriously ridiculous.

I never write reviews but I want as many people as possible to know how much this hotel sucks. Don't stay here if you can help it. The only pro is that it's very close to Universal.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to SUNSOL International Drive? Share your experiences!