“We checked in... and then checked straight back out!” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn Orlando Universal Studios North
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 West 33rd Street, Orlando, FL 32839   |
Ranked #309 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Liverpool, UK
“We checked in... and then checked straight back out!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

My husband and I booked to stay at the Days Inn for our honeymoon - we married in Vegas and then travelled around Florida for our honeymoon and one of the places we wanted to stay for a few days was Florida. I booked all the hotels in Miami, Boca Raton etc but the one job I gave my husband to do was book us a hotel for our stay in Orlando. After checking the net he ooked Days Inn as he said it was very cheap compared to other hotels but looked just as good on the net.

How wrong could he be! We drove from Miami to Orlando and got lost three times on the way so after 6 hours straight driving we were understandably tired and anxious to check in. We pulled up in the car park and immediately we knew we didn't really want to stay there. My husband said on the internet it was sold as a hotel but it was clearly a motel - outdoor corridors that anyone can wlak alone and have access to your room door. Nevertheless we decided to go inside and check the room out before making any decisions so we checked in at reception and headed off to our room.

There was no elevator to the higher floors and so the dark, smelly, dirty corridor was the only way to reach our room. We opened the door and found ourselves in the WORST hotel room I have ever stepped foot in! It was very, very small and the bathroom was so small in the corner you could not shut the door without first climbing into the bath! The decor was very old fashioned and there were stains on the walls, the bin, around the toilet and in the bath. There was urine and used toilet paper in the toilet which no one had bothered to flush and the dust covered every surface you could see. The room smelled and immediately I didn't feel comfortable in such a dity, smelly, dingy place and wanted to leave before touhing anything! There were even used tissues on the floor and although there was a TV cabinet, there was no actual TV!. The blinds were absolutely filthy and broken so they wouldn't close properly and the door barely locked. There was no way I would stay in a hotel room like this in any event but ESPECIALLY not on my honeymoon! Cursing my husband, we went staright back down to reception to check out.

On the way down the garbage filled corridors we passed the pool. There was a mother and two young children playing in it. It didn't look dirty, as some other guests have found BUT the pool backed right onto a truck stop where hookers were actively seeking business to truckers in broad daylight, meters away from the pool and young children!

When we got to reception, the receptionist was reluctant to check us out - she wasn't rude and I couldn't say she was unhelpful BUT she did try on a number of occasions to tell us the hotel "wasn't so bad" and we should just "give it a chance, it's fine". At this point we still had no idea about the prison next door... that was until she asked us if the reason we were leaving was because we were worried about the prison and if so not to worry because it was fine, we were perfectly safe and lots of the other guests were visiting people at the prison! Like this was supposed to make us feel better!

If there was any doubt in our minds about staying there (which believe me there wasn't!) hearing that we were next door to a prison was the cherry on the cake and we were outta there as fast as our legs would carry us! We found a room in the Sheraton Four Points on International Drive nearer to the parks and which was a proper, professional, safe, clean NORMAL hotel. We had never been so releived to check in in our lives!

Now that we are home we can laugh about our experience at the Days Inn but at the time it was horrendous as we had nowehere else to go, didn't really know where we were or where we'd find another hotel and felt completely unsafe and alone. I have to say the pool did seem clean to me and I never seen any bugs or rodents in the rooms but the smell, dirty, unhygenic rooms, broken facilities, location, prison, hookers and unsavoury characters plus the bad neighbourhood it was in made this one of the worst hotels I've ever seen in my life. There was no way in hell I could have spent the night there - I would have been scared someone tried to break into the room to rob or attack us, scared of fleas, bugs and diseases I may catch sleeping in such a rotten room and scared to leave the room in case my stuff was stolen while I was gone! I would rather have slept in the car then in this hotel - that's how strongly I feel!

So to anyone thinking about the cheap price and considering staying here - save yourself the effort, time and cash and seriously give it a miss - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

Good people running this place but are saddled with a poor facility. You can do better. We got stuck here on priceline. GRRR!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

It's a budget hotel. Not too impressive, but good enough to just crash. Everywhere else was completely booked due to the 3 day weekend. Thanks, Mr. King, Jr., thanks!

Still, for being so damn close to the jail, it better be cheaper than the $69 we had to pay. (Safety factor is important! This place would be more along the lines of $49 or so if I was going to give it a price tag.) What about if some nuthead breaks outta jail? Guess where he's going first! Hahahaha. Nothing else in the area besides one gas station and Jail Bond places everywhere. Hahah definitely not where I'll be staying next time if I take my son to Orlando.

Also, the place was smelly and musty when we first got there. So we left the door open to air it out. Hahaha. And planned to sleep till 11 or so, but the walls are apparently paper thin so we could hear people talking outside.

Good points? Plenty of channels to watch and the room came with a security box, iron and ironing board, microwave, fridge, complimentary little packet of shampoo, and soaps, and coffee maker. The standard stuff. And the blankets were nice and warm. Service was pretty good, as well.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Markham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

The place is a total shame - which is quite typical of Days Inn (with some exceptions though). The place is simply overpriced! Staff are not friendly, lobby and the rooms are small, no in-house breakfast, wireless Internet (Wi-Fi) signal was intermittent, it costs $5 to use their printer in the lobby to print out anything, everyone has to fight for a parking spot, the property is surrounded by big trucks and, as if that's not enough, a federal or state prison right next to it!!!

In a word, stay away from this hotel!

• Liked — No wonder I got a room even though all the other hotels are all fully booked
  • Disliked — You name it, just everything you expect from a paid accommodation!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Absolute garbage! The hotel couldn't smell worse unless you book a room at a landfill! Rooms are decorated like we still live in the 70's and I don't think they ever heard of fresh paint. Please, I beg you (Days Inn CEO or CFO) stop stealing innocent peoples money and fix this place up or tear it down, what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

I knew before we even got off the expressway that this wasn't the hotel for us. You could literally see the area decline into a slum. It was on the most difficult corner to get to from 4 west. But since we missed the turn we got to take the scenic route which had a maximum secruity prision. The reception was nice but the hotel was so terrible. The carpet was horrid didn't even want to sit on the bed and saw a bug on the mirror, not sure if it was a flea, I guess I have never saw one though. Tried to get moved to another days inn and was told that they were all franchises. Booked another days inn being so frantic to get out. By this time we came to our senses and started looking on trip advisor. This days inn and most of the other ones in the area should seriously just close down. Stay away!! We ended up renting a condo, whichwas better but no where up to our standards. We were here for a dental convention and will never be back.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Next to prison
Stayed July 2008
st. petersburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

the hotel is not a vacation resort and it is next to the jail, but who cares!? the rooms are clean, the pool is clean, the staff is friendly as long as the customers are too, and the sheets smell fresh.
I always stay there when I take my kids to universal, and we only spend the nights and hang out at the theme parks all day. we don't even see the jail anymore, it is quiet there, the beds are comfortable (simmons mattresses) and it is clean.
It is cheap, too, if you book on the internet. Who cares about broken tiles in the elevator when the sheets smell fresh and the room is clean!? I like that hotel. It's perfect for people with kids or singles who just want to have a cheap but clean bed for the night.

• Liked — clean beds and bathroom
  • Disliked — no vending machines
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Days Inn Orlando Universal Studios North? Share your experiences!