“Not as good as it should be” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #288 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Vero Beach, Florida, United States
“Not as good as it should be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was excited to get a room right outside the main gate of Universal Studios. Very conveniently located. However, the joy stopped there. I reserved a non-smoking room and was told that all they had left when I should up 4 weeks later was a smokers room. None too happy. The room stank, even after having them "spray it down". In addition, the room was far from clean. next time I visit Universal I'll be happy to stay further away in a cleaner hotel room. Yuk!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
daysinn5827, Manager at Days Inn Orlando Universal Maingate, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
You are the voice of reason! I here you loud and clear and just wanted you to no that the hotel and staff are working very hard on to improve the property ! Would like you here more feedback to improve my hotel, thank you Vernon moore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Turkish first
PERRY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

i have stay in days inn before and it was always good. not so much this time. no cups, no cable in room, fridge did not work for 2 days, after we told front desk it was not working. except for the location i would say it was a really bad experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

daysinn5827, Manager at Days Inn Orlando Universal Maingate, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear guest, i am truley sorry for the unpleasent stay that you had at my hotel,and would like to speak to you futher of this matter, we here at days in try are best to give the best stay at our locations and really need all the feedback to improve our property as we are soon to do the upgrades, once again we really do apoligise for your stay and would love to make it up to you! please call Vernon Moore @ 407-351-3800, thank you and have a blessed day.
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This place is not worth the money. I know people say "you get what you pay for" but this was bad. Our door looked like someone had tried to break in before, it smelled like the worst cleaning products I've ever smelled in my life, there were bugs crawling around by the sink and in the bathroom, the drains in the sink and shower were so slow it was gross. The carpet and walls had stains on them and the beds and pillows were extremely uncomfortable. Great location but that's about it. You couldn't pay me to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
daysinn5827, Manager at Days Inn Orlando Universal Maingate, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
i am so so sorry that your stay was not is good taste for you! We are striving and making improvments to the property ,and it seems you have been let down! and i as the new manager would like to apoligise on behalf of me and my staff!
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here from October 16th, 2012 checking out on the 21st. We didn't arrive till after midnight so it was technically Oct 17th when we checked in (after having lost our directions to find the place) First of all, the description for the address as to where this hotel was confusing. Caravan Court is a U shaped road that crosses Major Blvd twice. It's the second crossing of it and out of sight till you actually pull up to the corner of the two roads.

Finding the hotel aside, we checked in at around 1am, to find they still had our room available, however they did not have a microwave for us at that time, aside from asking for one at the time we made our reservation and them telling us it was noted on the file and we'd have one for our room, we were fine with not having one available that night as we were told we would have one brought up to us the next day. The night clerk who checked us in told us about another room that had a jacuzzi in it for the same price but said that room wouldn't be available till the next morning and if we wanted we could call to arrange moving rooms for it. She said it cost the same price. I was suspicious because when booking online the suites were the rooms that had the jacuzzi tubs and they cost more than the room we were staying in.

So we got out keys and got up to our room, unfortunately I can't remember our room number. It was in the back building at the back of the parking lot round the end, and the middle stairwell up to the upper level and in the back, you could see the pool through some trees if you stood on the balcony outside our room, and there was an adjoining bridge to the building on the interior part of the complex right near our room. it was on the corner so the stair well and ice machine were between us and the other rooms, the ice machine being against the opposite wall from our room.

When we got up to our room we discovered that our card keys did not work. We had to go back to the desk and have them replaced. Second time round they worked. We got into our room, it was fairly clean, tidy and looked alright. Because it was late that night though we didn't take it in too much as we just wanted to get to sleep.

The next day we called the desk about the microwave and the other room with the jacuzzi tub. We were informed at that time that the other room would not be available during our stay and that is did, in fact, cost more than what we were currently paying, as I had originally suspected. So no big deal, we didn't lose or gain anything, however the clerk could've easily check the duration of stay for the guests occupying the suites before offering them to us and she should've known the correct prices for them. I don't know if she was new, or what but it is information she should have known or could've easily looked up on her computer. But again, no big deal, we weren't expecting the suite to begin with. With regards to the microwave, they said they would bring one up for us that afternoon while we were out at the parks.

We get back to our room later that night and, no microwave. So we call the desk about it again. The person attending the desk for the night shift said there was nothing her could do but note it on our file for the next days staff to look after as they were now on their night shift and running with minimal staff and the staff who would look after such things were off for the night. So, given there was nothing more we could do we resolved to call them the next morning.

So next morning we call the desk and the manager is in and the manager explains that the microwaves are on an "as- available" basis and that there was a daily charge for it of $10/day. No one, not one of the desk clerks we had spoken to about it, nor the lady whom we'd spoken to on the phone who took our reservations had mentioned this to us (the lady on the phone who had taken our reservation said the microwave was free) and we told the manager this. He apologized to us profusely and assured us a microwave would be brought up that day. When we got back to our room after going out briefly that afternoon, we learned that the manager had personally delivered a microwave to our room and had waived the charges for the it for the misunderstanding.

As for our room itself, we got a stable wireless internet connection, slow, but stable, we couldn't skype, but were able to check emails and browse the web etc. There were a few minor aesthetic issues to our room that needed fixing, that wouldn't cost the hotel but pennies to fix, and a couple more glaring issues. The most notable thing in the living/sleeping area being the air conditioning unit. Every night when it kicked in it smelled awful, I had to cover my face with the blankets on the bed. I have allergies and it would set them off, leaving me with sniffles and a bad smell I couldn't get out of my nostrils. Lucky I had allergy meds with me. It smelled like a cross between a sickly sweet perfume and cigarette smoke. A quick look at the ac unit and it looked as though it was rather dusty and the filters hadn't been cleaned or changed in ages. Now these are the really old ac units from back in the 80's, but they still should be up-kept and if filters can no longer be replaced (for lack of them being made anymore or whatever), then they should be upgraded and replaced with newer models.

The ice machine on our floor next to our room was broken, so we had to go downstairs to the lower lever to get ice, no big deal as we only needed ice once.

A screw on the on/off knob for the shower was sticking out and make it a bit difficult to turn the water on. All it would take was the knob to be removed so the screw could be properly screwed in to fix.

The toiler paper dispenser was nearly falling out of the wall, a little putty filler, and new holes drilled with bracings plugged in and the dispenser re-affixed would take minutes to do.

There was a little card in one of the night table drawers that had a listing of the tv channels available, unfortunately it was out of date the channels listed were not the current channels anymore, no big deal we didn't watch much tv anyway, but again a little oversight that is easily correctable for little to no cost.

There were a couple areas in the room where paint had been chipped or the wall dented so that the paint had come off to where you could see the brown wall behind the white paint. A couple touch ups here and there, wouldn't take long to apply and fix.

When checking in we were not given the key to our room safe, even though the charge for it is included in our rates. There were two safes in our room, thankfully one had a sign saying not to use it, which honestly, if it was non functional and not supposed to be used when there was another functional safe in the room (provided you were given the key). Honestly it should have been removed.

One of the things that did bug me was the bathroom floor. I wouldn't step on it and put a towel down to step on instead. The grout between the tiles was black, I don't know how long it had been since the floor had been properly cleaned and scrubbed. I imagine they just do a quick mop when cleaning the rooms after guests checkout and that's it, but it was rather gross, and really needed a proper and full scrubbing.

That's another thing. One of the days we were there, I turned on the sink and it sputtered and no water came out. I tried the tub and flushed the toilet and nothing. The water had been turned off. It was only off for 5 minutes (from the initial time I tried the tap, I have no idea how long it had actually been off for) but still, it would've been nice to have at least had a courtesy call or notification when we checked in to tell us the water would be off between x time and y time. I could've been in the shower and covered with soap! Thankfully I wasn't. When the water did come on 5 minutes later the taps sputters and spar out BLACK water. Yuck! I refused to drink the tap water while staying at the hotel and bought some bottle water which we kept in our room fridge.

Overall mostly minor changes that wouldn't take long to fix and were mostly aesthetic (save a few). My biggest complaint is that they need to work on their communication (microwave availability and cost and jacuzzi room availability and pricing) and cleanliness (the ac/heater filters and bathroom floor grout).

There is a TGI Friday's within walkable distance, plus there were several delivery menus in the room. One of the places we ordered from had the best mozzerella sticks I've ever had, which was really surprising for a delivery place.

All in all, for the price we paid, the amenities we received and the location being two blocks, safely walkable (other reviews say you have to cross a highway, it's not a highway but a main road that runs from an exit coming off the highway and there are crosswalks and sidewalks available for use) to Universal Gates, and reliable wireless internet it was worth the money we paid and it was comfortable. For families and park goes who intend to spend most of their time out and about, it's a good value. I would recommend this to friends and family, and probably would stay there again, though probably would request a newer room.

Room Tip: If you have any physical limitations be sure to request a ground level room as the hotel is rather o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Days Inn Orlando Universal Maingate? Share your experiences!