“Good Hotel But Needs Improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #127 of 328 hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
ont canada
“Good Hotel But Needs Improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed one week at the Buena Vista Suites recently. We had room 509. Check in was a breeze and the staff was friendly. The size of the rooms are great for putting kids to bed and closing the door to the living room. I can't say the rooms are clean and I will elaborate shortly. The breakfast was excellent but got boring as they served the same things over and over. As one previous reviewer stated "Canned peaches and pears really!" The pool and hot tub are nothing to write home about and need work.
Now here is the reason that this hotel is not great and a major issue. There is no exhaust in the bathrooms of the suites! My son used the bathroom and an hour later is still smelled. I checked the grille in the bathroom and there was no air movement. I assumed that the fan must be broken. Later that day in the shower I looked up and you could see mold on the ceiling. Further inspection showed mold on the walls mostly near the garbage can. You could even see where they had painted over the mold so they know its there! The next morning on the way to breakfast I asked to speak with a manager regarding this. He said "that it is hotel policy not to have fans in the bathrooms". I could only assume that the grille in the bathroom was for supply air from the heating/AC unit which means that air blows into the bathroom. This would also mean that any smell from the washroom would be forced out the door into the rest of the suite! The manager offered to move us to another room and I declined as we already had our things unpacked. He also asked if I wanted to elevate my complaint to a senior manager. It was all very nonchalant but this is a huge issue. This is mold we are talking about.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no mold in it!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
CaribeMktg, Public Relations Manager at Buena Vista Suites, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
We'd like to thank guest ilkeston for bringing this issue to our attention. There is/was indeed a problem with the ventilation system in this suite and we apologize for the feedback that was given by our staff to the contrary. Thanks to this information we were able to identify the source of the problem and are in the process of fixing it so that other guests will not be adversely affected.

776 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Daytona Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I had booked a room using the internet so checking in was a breeze. The front desk staff was friendly, courteous and informational. The bedroom itself appeared clean while the "living room" furniture contained stains and odors. I guess in the south it is also hard to escape the mildew-smelling shower curtains.

Noise from the hallway was more than most places, but my room was not far from the elevators where people were getting off and rolling their suitcases across the tile to go to their rooms. I also had several disturbances from a rude family with small children who liked to run and yell down the hallways. The adults also tried to enter my room on at least 3 occasions by sliding their key cards into my door lock and then trying to open the door. This was not the hotel's fault that the people could not read the room numbers even though it was aggravating for me. When I decided to go to bed, I shut the door between the living room and the bedroom and didn't hear anything else the rest of the night.

As for the other amenities -

The fitness center has a multi-station weight machine (not maintained well), 2 treadmills, a stepper and a stationary bicycle. The aerobic machines all seemed in pretty good shape for their usage. There were plenty of towels and a water cooler available in the room.

Parking was free and seemed to be ample.

The business center, unlike most other hotels, cost $5 an hour to use.

The free buffet breakfast was very nice. There was a selection of eggs (scrambled on the buffet, or cooked to order at the grill), sausage, pancakes, grits, oatmeal, pastries, cereals, fruit, yogurt, toast, beverages..... I am usually not much of a breakfast eater but I enjoyed it very much.

Overall, this wasn't the best, nor was it the worst hotel experience I've had and I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
North Tonawanda, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Super clean,beautifully updated rooms.Friendly helpful staff.The breakfast buffet was tasty and plentiful.The flat screen TVs and comfortable bed added to the experience.The only thing that would make this hotel perfect would be balconies,but for the price-who cares!!!We will stay here again.

Room Tip: North side rooms are quieter,get to breakfast before 8:30 am,gets very busy.
Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at Buena Vista Suites. Each room is a suite with two HD tvs. Our room was very clean. It was great having a breakfast buffet before leaving the hotel for the day. Free shuttle service to all Disney parks was really a savings. If you took your car it cost $14 to park. The staff was friendly and very helpful.

We would definitely stay at Buena Vista Suites again.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Sad Sad experience. We pre paid our stay here which promised free internet. Upon checking in, they told us internet was NOT included. The first room we were place in had marks all over the walls, and the internet outlet was destroyed by either a previous guest, or, some other force of nature (wires hanging out of the wall). They changed us to another room, told us they would comp our entire internet for entire stay, yet, we were billed for internet upon check out. We approached management who went on to "grill us" about who "ok'd" the comping of our internet, blah, blah, blah, requesting documentation, when it was already placed into the system by the other manager.The management seemed to be disinterested, disconnected with its guests. Most of the staff had a hum drum poor attitude as well. My advice, steer clear of this place and find a hotel that has descent customer service.

Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We found Buena Vista Suites a great place to stay that's convenient to Disney. We were able to get a great rate through mousesavers.com that made it very hard to pass up. Check-in/out was super easy. I booked it over the phone in just a few minutes and when we arrived it took maybe two minutes to complete check-in and get our key. The same with check-out.
The suite was comfortable for a family of 5. The beds were comfy and it was nice having a seperate area for the children to watch TV during our time away from the parks.
We usually stay at Disney resorts but we would probably stay here again. The only downside for me was the traffic noise at night. Although we were on the 6th floor I thought it was a bit loud..but the rest of my family did not even notice it . In all fairness though, every place that I have stayed aside from Disney resorts seems to have traffic noise issues. Orlando is just a busy area and that's to be expected.
The breakfast area was nice. It offered a good variety that each day included: mini-donuts, grits, oatmeal, hashbrowns and cereal. They would also have either french toast or pancakes and ham, bacon or sausage links. It was decent, free and quick. The quality was *ok* at best...the children ate it without complaints. Afterall, we were there for the parks not to spend most the mornings at restaurants waiting for the check.
The pool and spa area were nice and clean. It wasn't a giant pool with slides or anything, but the kids had plenty of fun. The hot tub was also nice after a day of walking around the parks.
The staff was all very friendly and all of our needs were met with a smile, quickly and professionally. We go to Orlando at least 3 times a year and would gladly stay here again!.....and eat the breakfast :)

Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Here is my opinion.. The beds were comfy.. the 2 rooms are great.. tvs great.. BUT... listening to the traffic sucked all night and the buffet breakfast.. come on.. canned peaches, bad coffee, mini donuts that they got at the 7-11, instant oatmeal.. give me a break.. VERY disappointed... don't pay extra for their "free" breakfast.. there are resturants you can go to for cheaper and better near by.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Buena Vista Suites? Share your experiences!