Pros: Location, Price, Customer Service, Pools, Shops in lobby area
Cons: No theme. No disney details
We are annual passholders and Floridians and visit Disney a lot and always stayed at Disney owned properties. We always passed the Dolphin/Swan and how can you not notice it, it's the first landmark you see when coming in on Osceola Parkway. But after reading many reviews and all the extra charges like the resort fee ($23) and the parking fee ($18), we always avoided it. We also didn't expect we'd get disney customer service since it's a Sheraton property. The previous reviews confirmed all of this.
HOWEVER, and a BIG HOWEVER, this was the best hotel we've stayed at. Even better than the Disney hotels! First things first, the PRICE. You figure you get a hotel room for cheap from Expedia at $150 a night, then you add the resort fee plus the parking per night, that's still under $200, and if you are a passholder you get almost a $40 discount when calling up. So first advice, book directly through the Dolphin/Swan on the phone. And let's say you've been shopping and found the Yacht Club for $300, they still charge the resort fee and taxes at checkout, so really, these fees despite being kinda "hidden" at the Dolphin/Swan are still in existance at the Disney owned properties. You can basically get a Deluxe style hotel for less than $200 in the same beautiful boardwalk area and even one stop closer on the boat to Hollywood studios.
Next, is the view. Amazing views from almost any room. We requested to get the highest floor we can get from our basic room and we had a gorgeous view out our room window of the Swan, the boardwalk, Epcot, and hollywood studios. We had an amazing fireworks view at night as well.
The lobby and decor is amazing. Yes, outdated, but so what, so is Grand Floridian, just adds to the theme.
Customer service - at or exceeds Disney standards. You honestly couldn't tell that it wasn't a Disney owned hotel. From the front desk to even the valet where we didn't even valet our car, even the self parking attendant, everyone there was super friendly.
And of course, the location! You cannot beat this location. If you have a car, Magic Kingdom is only a 5 minute drive. Epcot is a 15 minute walk, Hollywood is a 7 minute boat ride.
The only negative I have to say about it is that it doesn't have the Disney Details. Such as the WDW Channels (old mickey cartoons which my kids love and were missing out on, the safety channel, etc.), the Towels in a shape of Mickey ears, the Mickey H20 soap/shampoo, and any other mickey ears. It also didn't have a theme. It seemed like a generic hotel. But hey, if you want all of that at a deluxe resort, it costs $150 more or even much more to be in the boardwalk.
If you're on a budget and want to feel like you are staying at a luxury resort, stay at the Dolphin/Swan. Again, don't let the a la carte fees (parking/resort tax) discourage you, you'll pay it either way no matter what hotel you stay at!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort is located in the center of Walt Disney World. Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios are just a boat ride or short walk away, with Magic Kingdom and Disney's Animal Kingdom Park nearby. Our hotel has free area transportation. We offer a unique blend of Disney benefits and Starwood amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Hotwire so you can book your Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Walt Disney World Swan And Dolphin Hotel Orlando
- Walt Disney Orlando
- Walt Disney Hotel Orlando
- Swan Resort Disney
- Disney World Swan Resort
- Walt Disney World Swan Resort