“Great Hotel For Families” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
6th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #158 of 329 Hotels in Orlando
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
“Great Hotel For Families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I recently stayed in a grand suite at the Swan Hotel for a Disney trip with my family in August, and overall, it was a great stay.

Pros:
-Great location near the Disney Boardwalk;
-Large suite, overlooking the water; and there were nightly fireworks;
-Character dining option - great if you have little children who want to meet Pluto or Goofy. It was a wonderful way to introduce our daughter to the magic of Disney on our first night there;
-Shuttle buses to the parks and downtown Disney are great because you don't need to rent a car;
-The room service options were varied and delicious;
-Nice pool area;
-The Swan was a quiet option to the Dolphin. It was never too crowded, and it was never noisy despite the fact that families were there. I never heard a neighbor and rarely saw others in the hallway. So it was a nice, relaxed atmosphere.

Cons:
-Housekeeping was very hit or miss. They really just made the beds and cleared out the bathroom. They never cleaned the dining room and suite area even after I complained about it. In addition, it could literally take all day for your room to actually be cleaned. I don't know whether they were short staffed or what, but our suite always looked like the bare minimum had been done.
-The bathrooms are tiny ("barely can close the door without hitting the toilet" small). With the suite, we had two bathrooms, so that helped. But if bathrooms are important to you, this is not the hotel for you.
-The shuttle buses back from the parks were always overcrowded and standing room only. I think during busy times of the day, the buses need to run more frequently. Standing in another long line and then standing on a bus after a long day at an amusement park can definitely change your disposition;
-The rooms are dated.

Overall, I was really pleased with my stay at the Swan.

Room Tip: Look for a higher floor for a balcony and view; and if you can spend the extra money, go for a suite...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us. We are pleased to hear that you found our suite most accommodating for you and your family. We are thrilled that you were able to take full advantage of all of our amenities that we offer to all of our guests from our Disney transportation to our services at the Grotto pool. We do apologize about the housekeeping issues that you had during your stay. What you have described is certainly not our standard. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. Your words have been shared with our Housekeeping Leadership team. Thank you for your valued input regarding about the Disney Transportation. We are in direct contact with Disney Transportation and we will let them know about your experience. Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Indonesian first
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We love eating at Bluezoo as try to make it to Orlando every couple of months. This time I thought I would surprise my husband with a one night stay at the Swan. I kept the secret right up to the moment before driving up to the Valet. James helped check us in at the front desk and upon hearing how I had made this a surprise overnight stay - he upgraded our room to one with a balcony. The room was wonderful and had a great view of the resort. Our dinner was one of the best we have ever had at Bluezoo which is saying something. The pool was perfectly refreshing the next morning. A wonderful breakfast on the boardwalk at Kozzina brought our mini weekend getaway to an end. It may have only lasted 24 hours but it was just perfect in every way. We were delighted to see James again as we checked out and thanked him for his help in making our stay so wonderful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Vicki and what a wonderful overnight trip you and your husband took! We are thrilled to hear that you had chosen us to be part of your surprise gift to your husband. We are very pleased to hear that James took well care of you at the time of check in to the time of check out. We take great pride in our Cast Members like James who makes an ordinary stay to an extraordinary stay! Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Our stay at the Dolphin was excellent from the moment we arrived. The rooms were spacious and clean. The location was perfect. Easy access to the theme parks at Disney. You could walk or take the boat to most of the parks. To top off the experience the restaurants were incredible. I have severe allergies and they were able to meet my needs. A week before we arrived the Chef at the Mediterranean Market called me at home to discuss my special diet. He went out of his way to purchase special foods for me to eat. Each and every day he would discuss what he was going to cook me for the next day. He also went out of his way to make me a special protein bar that I could carry in the parks with me so I could get good protein on the go. I am unable to eat fast food therefore without his support I would have had to skip lunch. In addition to the wonderful breakfasts that were prepared for me each day the Chef at the Mediterranean Market arrange for me to have dinner at the Blue Zoo. He filled in the Chef at the Blue Zoo on my dietary needs and I had a fantastic dinner. The next night we had reservation at another restaurant but they could not meet my needs. At this point the Chef at the Blue Zoo was talking with the Chef at Shula's and they worked out a dinner plan for me. It is truly amazing to see how well this hotel and the restaurants works hand in hand. It is all about making a magical experience and they truly succeeded. We can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the dock side have a better view of night time fireworks.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello Gregg and thank you for letting us know how special your stay was! We are thrilled to hear that our talented Chefs at Fresh Mediterranean Market went out of their way to make sure that you were well provided for throughout your stay. It is stories about our Cast Members just like yours makes us aware on how we impact a person during their stay here with us. Your kind words have been shared with our Food & Beverage Leadership team as well as our Hotel Executive Leadership team as well. We do hope that you come back for another fantastic stay again.
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stay at the swan and dolphin hotel about once a month. Their staff is fabulous and always willing to go that extra mile to help. Location is great and the rooms are nice and comfortable. Yes, there are resort fees, but the hotels are comparable to the Disney deluxe hotels on the boardwalk but are a lot less expensive.

Room Tip: I've just learned to make sure that the room isn't near the elevator. Otherwise, the rooms...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your loyal patronage to our resort. We are pleased that we are able to deliver the quality of service that you seek that makes you return year after year. Thank you for being our guest. We look forward to your next visit!
Kirkcaldy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed at the swan last year during a family holiday to Florida and thought the hotel was brilliant!!

I agree with a few of the points that other reviewers have highlighted such as the expensive parking and service fee but this is clearly mentioned on their site and on other 3rd party sites so I really can't complain about this.

The staff at the hotel were brilliant; polite, attentive and very helpful. The rooms in the hotel are large, air conditioned and very clean...the bed was probably the best bed I've slept on!! We were also lucky enough to get a room with a cracking view across disney!

The hotel is pretty central. No more than a 10 minute walk from both MGM and Epcot. The bus service outside is also very prompt to get to the other parks.

Would defiantly recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2013
Hello Callum and thank you for your stay here with us. We are pleased that you and your family had a lovely family holiday at the Swan. Thank you for the kind words that you expressed about our Cast Members as well as your stay that you used in your review. Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This Hotel was Fantastic. We Stayed in the Dolphin, The staff were friendly and very helpful. The food was excellent and good value for money. The Transport links from the hotel were brilliant. We would recommend this hotel to anyone it made our holiday and we would definitely stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Thank you for this wonderful review of your recent stay here with us. We are very pleased to hear that your holiday was fun and relaxing at the same time. It looks like you took full advantage of the many amenities that we offer to our guests at this resort. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
Augusta, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

EXCELLENT!!

The hotel was clean, staff was helpful, location was perfect, transportation was fun (especially boat) and food was DELICIOUS. My granddaughters absolutely loved the place! It was fun and easy to get around. So close to Boardwalk!

Green Features: I like their focus on the environment and green options.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello Cindy and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us. What a great way to spend some quality time with your granddaughters! We are very pleased and thankful to hear that you have chosen us to be part of your special Disney trip. Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.

Been to Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin? Share your experiences!