“Wonderful Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #153 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
PA
“Wonderful Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our six night stay at the Swan. Our room was always clean and refreshed early enough for an afternoon shower and switch of clothes before heading back into the parks. The beds and pillows were super comfortable and all staff were very friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us. We are pleased to hear that you were able to come back in between parks to a room that was refreshed just for you. Thank you for your recent stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I reserved a room at this resort that I bought in a vacation package as a birthday gift to my nine year old son. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Ms. Vicki . One of the receptionist at the front desk. Because we were celebrating my son birthday, Ms. Vicky gave my son a birthday button, a first visit button, and a I'm celebrating button as well as a free ice cream coupon . She also gave me a first time visit button and I'm celebrating button. Southwest lost my son and I luggage so we didn't have toiletries for the night. Ms. Vicky fixed my son and a little care bag for the night until our luggage arrived in the morning. There is a rewards program available at the hotel where you can opt out of getting your room cleaned daily and instead you receive a 5.00 voucher that is good at the dolphin or the swan hotel. In five days I received twenty dollars in vouchers that I used at a restaurant in the dolphin. I enjoyed beach area playground that was available for my son. I also enjoyed the game room. In all honesty, this property offers so many things to do without ever leaving to go out. It was a special treat to receive complimentary transportation whether by boat or bus to the various theme parks and local attractions. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a place to stay above will stay here again on my future vacation to Disney!

• Stayed June 2014
There are not enough words that cannot be used to express how excited to hear about your stay! Thank you very much for your kind and generous words that you used to describe your recent stay especially the ones that you describe about Vicky. We are very proud of all of our Cast Members who go “above and beyond” for our guests, especially Vicky who has the ability to change one disastrous situation to a wonderful and memorable situation! Your words have been shared with our Front Office Leadership team. It sounds like you and your son were able to have so much fun in various parts of the resort. Thank you for being our guest. We look forward to your next stay here with us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Based on the reviews I read here, prior to my trip, I was very concerned with our stay. As DVC members our expectations are set pretty high. Mine is a mixed review.
Our family of 5 checked into the Dolphin August 5, 2014 and checked out on August 10, 2014. Swan and Dolphin has a nice location, it is easily seen from the highway and looks very impressive from a distance. Up close the buildings are just as impressive, the Swan is the smaller of the two buildings. The valet are helpful and friendly regardless if you're using their services. Conveniently located close to mini golf, the Boardwalk, Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Ferry and bus transportation to the parks, but no services to the airport (took about 20 min to MCO in a rental).

The entrance and lobby are nice and offer plenty of seating area with a pretty ceiling and fountain. Check-in was very easy and quick, we had 3 rooms on the 4th floor, each with a balcony (extremely small, but probably good for watching fireworks). The room assigned to hubby and me smelled of bleach, almost as if heavy cleaning had been required or bleach had been spilled in the bathroom (also small and oddly shaped). We immediately returned to the SPG desk, explained the situation and were offered to have it aired out or moved. We decided to move, as I still had the smell of bleach in my nose. The young lady promptly spoke with housekeeping and assigned us a Junior Suite on the 7th floor.

Onto the 7th floor, we entered a more spacious room with a better sized bathroom, sink outside and inside the bathroom, only a tub, no separate shower area. Small wet bar, mini frig, coffee maker, in room safe and plenty of closet space. Our room had a sofa, coffee table and a single arm chair, a desk with chair, king size bed and night stands, plenty of drawer space, no balcony and 2 adjoining rooms. The room was very clean, no bugs of any type! We bring flashlights to check for bed bugs as my son was bitten before at a Hilton.
Ok SPG here are my issues with this property. The rooms need major updating, as has been pointed out by many Tripadvisor guests. The sofa had a tear in the arm that had been stitched up! The arm chair had scratches and scrapes all over as did the night stands and the desk. However, the coffee table is an accident waiting to happen. It is a solid wood rectangular table with a glass sitting on top of the table. I assume that at one time the glass must have had the rubber circles on each of the four corners to keep it from sliding. Now the glass slides freely and completely off the wooden table, bad picture with little kids. The night stands are too far away from the bed, it was a very long reach especially in the dark! The carpeting needs updating. My mother told me that she sat in the arm chair in her room and sank so far down she needed help getting up! And yes, very thin walls! The biggest complaint that my family had about the Dolphin is the how uninviting, tired and old the rooms look.
We found the pools enjoyable, the slide is just a slide. The cabana bar on the Dolphin side was great. The service was very good, as was the food. My son used the gym in the mornings and had no complaints, plenty of clean towels, water and equipment. We had room service for 5 in our Jr Suite and it was great. Breakfast was hot, plenty of food, coffee and cream. The young lady that served it was very nice and professional. I do not have a single complaint about any staff member, everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful, well mannered and happy to serve! We did not encounter any extra fees. However, there was $6 charge to my son's room from the pool which was incorrect, but it was corrected at check out. I gave this property a 4 circle rating because the staff is what makes this property a nice place to stay. However, the rooms need to be totally redone! I am sorry to say, but this resort is not up to a Walt Disney World Deluxe Property, at best it is a moderate. I found the rooms disappointing, but it has great potential. Would I stay at the Dolphin again? On points yes, on my dollar, not until they remodel. I really hate saying that because I do like the property and the staff!

Room Tip: I have read here that higher rooms w/balcony are good for fireworks.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello Maggie and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us. We would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for being a Starwood Preferred Guest member, we appreciate your loyalty to Starwood. We are pleased to hear that you found our resort beautiful and relaxing. We are also pleased to hear that your arrival process was smoothly and fast. We do apologize about the condition of your first room as well as your suite. Thank you for letting us know about the condition of the suite that you found. By you telling us, we have the chance to improve our service in each and every day. Thank you again for being a SPG member and we would love to see you and your family again.
Clearwater, FLorida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I am staying presently at the Dolphin. I have stayed here before and have not been disappointed. My room is so clean and the bed linens are beautiful ! The only think I might replace are the carpets. I think they are beginning to show wear and tear.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for letting us know about our carpet conditions within the hallways. Thank you for your kind words about your stay so far. If you need any further services, please let us know during your stay. Thank you for choosing our resort for your relaxing vacation!
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Having visited WDW many times, and being an annual passholder for many years, this is one hotel we did not try until now. The price was OK for Disney, so we decided to book for a few days.

Our reservation could not be done online because the reservation computer system was down, but the lady at the reservation line was very nice and helped figure out the Florida resident rate and availability of different dates. She even made arrangements for us to get and email confirmation even though the Disney system was down.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were informed that there is a $16.50 daily parking charge and an addiditonal $22 resort fee that included coffee/tea and bottles of water, as well as the use of gym and pools. I showed her the confirmaiton and after having consulted with multiple supervisors, I was told that the parking would be waived, but not the resort fee.

Our room was musty with a strong odor of mould in it. The window was facing a wall (yes, a wall!) When I complained, I was told that the room reserved had a "limited" view and had just been cleaned and that the odor or "cleaning products" would go away. Besided, "you will not be looking at the view, you'll be in the parks" was the reply from the clerk. The smell remained strong, and by 3:30 am, I was so sick that I had to come down to the front desk to complain. The young man at the front desk (Wil) gave me a key to another room to make sure it was ok. This room was just below the one we occupied and had the same musty smell to it. I checked out 3 other rooms before he sent me to another wing (central wing), where there was no smell.

The rooms at this hotel are "tired" looking. For a hotel that boasts to be a "resort", there should be cleaner if not newer carpets. The bathrooms are tiny and in great need of new tiles and a coat of paint. The light fixtures in the bathroom are so dim, you can't see 2 feet in front of you. The bathtubs are grimy. The beds are tiny (double) for this caliber hotel and very uncomfortable.

It took about 5 phone calls to get a comforter for the rollaway, and it arrived without a comforter cover, After 3 additional phone calls, the new duvet with a cover on it arrived. There was not enough coffee (1 caf, 1 decaf) and when we requested some tea, we were told that there was a convenience store downstairs. The tea bags there cost us $3 per tea bag. (yes, you are reading right).

The rooms don't get cleaned properly, no fresh coffee, no coffee cups, no fresh water, 5 phone calls to get towels for 4 people. The resort fee does not provide for pool towels, unless you are at the pool between 9 and 5.

The transportation to and from the Magic Kingdom by bus takes forever. Our last day there, we had to wait 55 minutes in August heat for the bus to arrive. Althoug the water shuttle to and from Epcot and the Studios was reliable and pleasant.

We could not get the Disney dining plan, as this hotel does not belong to Disney, but to Sheraton.

As an SPG member, I expected more. As a frequent Disney guest, I expected far more. Any Disney property (even the least expensive ones!) are better maintained and offer more. I just hope someone from the hotel reads this and takes notes.

Room Tip: Centrally located room with a view and windows that open.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for being a Starwood Preferred Guest. We are disheartened you did not have a more enjoyable stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disappointing condition of your guest room. What you have described is certainly not our standard and we would like the opportunity to take proper corrective action and enhance your experience. Please contact us at ReviewManager@swandolphin.com. Please include your complete reservation details and a copy of this review so that we can provide timely assistance.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

excellent rooms, very courteous people, good food, family friendly atmosphere, easy access to all theme parks specially to Epcot since it's within walking distance or Disney Hollywood studios just a small boat ride.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for this wonderful review of your recent stay Javier! It sounds like you took advantage of our amazing location within Walt Disney World. We take great pride in our location. Thank you for being our guest. We cannot wait for your next stay here with us.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Arrived 27th of July, travelled alone with my daughter's. Booked a hotel car to collect us from the airport, waited 45min's for collection,only to find out the lady was on the wrong floor,once at hotel after travelling for over 12 hours told we could not phone internationally from room without a phonecard,which we had to go and get from the dolphin,dump suitcases,walked over to get phone card,machine broken,no one had a key to open machine,was upset,could not phone husband from room to let him know we were ok,front desk did let us phone from there,tried to phone our friends in Florida from room Sunday eve, phone not working,tried Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday,phone still not working after several visit's to front desk Wednesday afternoon phone fixed.Tried to get a phone card again,took money,no card.Our room was very nice,every day it was cleaned very well and the beds were lovely.
Thursday decided to use complimentary shuttle to premium outlet mall,shuttle booked for 12.30pm did not arrive until 2.00pm, which ended up being two taxi's one for my daughter's and I and one for another couple that were also waiting,our taxi drive was terribly frightening,it was at very high speed and the driver drove with one hand on the steering wheel the whole time,we were due to come back at 5.30pm,we got to our stop at 5.00pm,the taxi did arrive on time,but there were people that were booked on a later taxi,so for some reason they were taken first we had to get back off the taxi and wait for him to take them first,he came back at 6.30pm.Not everthing was bad,it is a lovely building with some update's needed which are being done,but the absolute best part was Maria who worked in Cabana's Disney store in the afternoon,she made my daughter's stay magical,she played trivia games with them and traded pin's with them,Molly and Kim send their love to Maria Number 1. Overall our stay was very nice,but there were a few glitches, which were not dealt with effectively at the time,but at checkout we had a refund in the way of an apology.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin? Share your experiences!