“Brilliant Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #193 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
United Kingdom
“Brilliant Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

This hotel is very good, staff very helpful when we booked in we got a fridge and mircowave, a big bonus, we like this hotel alot because your close to everything. The hotel is nice and hotel, all staff friendly, we even booked for next year because we enjoyed our stay there, i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
LauraRadler, General Manager at Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
Thank you for recommending our hotel and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Clearwate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

We have stayed here twice for our trips to Disney. Great location - close to downtown disney and restaurants and minutes from Disney. The hotel itself is very well maintained with what looks to be newly refurnished rooms. 2 nice pools and hot tub. Our stay included a free buffet breakfast that we took before our day trips to disney.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay and we appreciate you choosing us for your Disney getaways!
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

From the previous reviews and pictures on the net, I expected a little better, but overall it wasn't too bad.

The main thing I didn't like about the room was that it was dark and gloomy, very little natural light. I had to have all the lights on during the day, but even then, it was still dark and depressing.

The other issue was the box-on-the-wall type air conditioners. There is one unit in the living room, and another in the bedroom. These units are very noisy, and I could not use the one in the lounge because it was making such a loud groaning noise, and kept me awake the first night. You can't hear the TV with these units on.

The rooms are dated, and there was a bad smell in the room when I first arrived. I bought some Lysol air freshener from a drugstore across the road, and gave the room a good spray. This helped, and it wasn't too bad after I did that. It's not the hotel's management fault, its just that the rooms have no natural ventilation, so with Orlando's humid climate these smells are to be expected.
The kitchenette is not equipped for meal preparation, nor is there any crockery or cutlery. Just a microwave and a mini fridge, and coffee maker. With so many great restaurants close by, who wants to cook anyway?

Some good points about the hotel:-

Excellent service from the front desk - upon check-in, I was offered a choice in rooms. They were friendly and helpful.

Free shuttle service to Disney, if you need it, but I had a rental car.

Free Internet (it does run slow from time to time whenever there is congestion in the Hotel ISP's network) It has nothing to do with the local wireless network in the hotel.

Plenty of free parking. Security guards patrol the grounds at night, and there is secure building access with hotel room key.

Lots of nearby dining choices ie: Restaurants/take out across the road, Crossroads about 10 mins walk, and Disney Downtown a short drive away. A convenient location in nice surroundings.

Good TV channels - plenty of Cable channels, incl Showtime. Old fashioned CRT TV in living room, and a large LCD flat screen in the bed room. Should help prevent fights over which channels the kids want to watch. Yes, I know it's Orlando and we should all be out there having a raging time, but sometimes its nice to put your feet up at the end of the day and watch some good shows.

I normally stay at the Rosen Shingle Creek resort when I come to Orlando, but this time decided to try somewhere closer to dining/attractions. The Rosen has much nicer, modern luxury rooms for the same price range, and far more beautiful and comfortable beds.
Although the Courtyard Marriott was not suitable for me, I am sure families with young children will feel right at home here. Judging by the worn stained carpets on the stairs, this place takes a beating from from the summer vacation crowd.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I will definitely investigate the issues with the room lighting, odor, and noisy AC units. I appreciate you bringing these items to my attention. I greatly appreciate you positive comments regarding the staff, location, and shuttle service. We are planning a renovation in the near future and would certainly like another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We checked out of this hotel yesterday after a 5 night stay.

I will start with the Pro's-
-This hotel is literally minutes from all of the Disney attractions. We drove to each in under 10 minutes daily.
-The location is close to grocery, chain restaurants, gasoline etc.
-The staff was friendly. I had an issue with a package delivery on my arrival day and the GM and Front Desk Manager went above and beyond to help me sort it out even though it wasn't their problem. They saved the day!
-Breakfast buffet was reasonably priced-we only did it once but it was not bad, service was good too.
-The pool was great.

Cons-
I stay almost exclusively at Marriott properties and am a Platinum Rewards Member. I was not offered an interior corridor room or a balcony-not a big deal but it is the service I have come to expect as a loyal customer. I got an exterior corridor room which I didn't complain about but it isn't my preference. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

This particular Courtyard is in need of some love. It is clean but needs updating. The sink in my room took almost 30 seconds for water to come out. The elevator sometimes lurched a little bit in a slightly nerve wracking way. The TV's are older (not flat screen), The towels are thin, rough and scratchy. The lighting in the rooms isn't adequately arranged so it is dark.

It cost me $50 for their "car" to drive me to the airport-highway robbery! Had I been able to plan better a shuttle only costs $30. The cost should be the same. It is a 15 minute ride. I would have even paid the $2 in tolls but the $50 meant there was no tipping the driver. This is a budget hotel and that is not a budget price. I hope you rethink that.

My biggest complaint though is the internet access. The wireless did not work on either my nor my husband's computer. They graciously offered us a wireless card but it only works with certain Windows systems, so that was out. They didn't have a single ethernet cable for our use which I found a bit odd. They did have a business center with three computers which was great, but every time I went to use them at least one if not two did not work properly. If this had been a business stay I would have been in trouble, as it is even on vacation I still normally do work so lack of internet was a big issue for me. How can the property not have a few ethernet cables available?

So overall an ok stay, but I honestly don't think I would pick this property again without seeing that it was renovated.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am disappointed that your stay was not up to Marriott standards and as we are planning a renovation in the future, we would welcome the opportunity to serve you once this has occurred. I appreciate your positive feedback with regards to the staff. I assure you that I will investigate your concerns with regards to the internet, towels, taxi service, and business center computers and will work to correct these items. Guest feedback, positive or negative, is important to the continued success of an organization and your comments will help to ensure others to not encounter what you have.
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Came back for the second year while attending the Epcot Food and Wine Festival for a mother/daughter weekend. We stayed at this hotel last year and were very pleased.

You can ride the shuttle bus from the hotel to and from the Food and Wine Festival. You might have to wait as it doesn't have continuous service but is handy nonetheless and the front desk will provide you with a print-out of the shuttle times. If the time is not exactly when you wan to go, like the front desk told us "you can always ride the bus to Magic Kingdom and take the monorail from there at different times than the Epcot run".

Our Room (we had a suite) was clean with 2 televisions, a small kitchen area and all we needed. The refrigerator didn't work and we had to call twice to have someone fix it but after the second call, they were there promptly and replaced it with a new one and were very apologetic.

We had breakfast both mornings in the restaurant and the food was good with plenty of choices on the buffet. We had eggs cooked-to-order the second morning.

The staff was very accommodating. I ended up leaving some clothing in the closet and had it mailed back to me with no problems.

My only "issue" was we had $150 in Marriott Gift Cards to use toward payment of our room. Upon checking in and giving them the gift cards along with a Visa Debit Card, I was informed that the entire room cost would be held on the Visa Debit until we checked out and then settled. I questioned this, as $150 was just like cash but was informed "this is the policy for room cost, incidentals, etc.". I feel like when using gift cards (especially Marriott gift cards) you should not have to pay for the card then have your money "held" again until you check out but that is just my opinion.

We will definitely stay here again as it is convenient to the parks, Downtown Disney and overall a very nice hotel for the price.

• Stayed September 2009
Thank you for your feedback; I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your positive comments regarding the room cleanliness, staff service, and breakfast buffet. I apologize that you had to call twice to have the issue with your fridge corrected; it is our goal to resolve issues on first contact. Additionally, I will speak with my front office manager regarding the policy of holding a credit card when gift cards are being used. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

The hotel is right off I-4 near Disney, this is why we chose this hotel. The rooms were neat and clean. The suite was roomy. We took the shuttle to epcot and it was right on time and picked us up right in front of the hotel. This is a good hotel and would stay here again. There are so many restaurants in walking distance or an extremely short drive.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your positive comments regarding your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New England USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I am now writing this review while staying here. I checked the reviews and found it had high marks. Laura, the manager, I see you commented on positive reviews, so here's another view. I am a VERY frequent traveler and client of marriott properties. This is by far the worst courtyard for several reasons. But before I complain, let's say your staff are awesome. Very nice, attentive, and willing to make the difference. The grounds and rooms are clean, safe and basic. the pool area are quiet and safe as well. The owners of this property really need to upgrade the facility. I usually stay in downtown Marriott as the people there are nice, and rooms are well appointed. Unfortunately, it was booked for a concert.

With my marriott level, your excellent front desk staff "upgraded" me to a requested quiet room with a king suite. The room had a fridge, and separate living room. I am typing this review on my laptop in room 520. As you will verify, 520 is WAY in the back, and because of poor or non-existent signage, I got lost more than twice trying to walk the 10 miles.. (exaggerating probably 2/10ths) to get to the front desk and have breakfast or print my boarding pass. This facility is expansive and you can get lost! While some rooms had interior/air conditioned halls, my room did not. So, having to wear a business suit, and having to walk outside in humidity to find the front desk... the humidity got to my sweat glands. I eventually chose to DRIVE to the front desk to avoid the wet look for breakfast. As you test the bed, mine was very hard! I would say just as bad as my typical holiday inn... which is why I stay at courtyards. I just complained to my wife about my sore back, and she asked if I was at a Holiday Inn.. I said NO... at a courtyard. She was shocked! If you look at my travels I have great reviews for courtyards all over the country.. and in Panama. this is my first Marriott negative.

In trying to print my boarding passes tonight for my trip home tomorrow... two of the three printers in the business center were out of ink... with warning lights up... went to the front desk and advised them of the condition, and they offered to print it for me as you have an outside service service the equipment... I went back and asked the person with the full ink printer if I could print.. which they kindly signed off and let me take 2 mins to print my boarding passes... also as another point... The breakfast staff are GREAT and kind. The food was okay, and the quality was good. again, your staff are great.

Laura, if someone is there on business, please don't have them stay in the way back, in exterior hallways. Also, get better signage showing or leading to how to get to the lobby from my room #520 and other rooms. Make sure your service provider in the business center maintains the office equipment, and ask your owners to reconsider free internet.... I am using my verizon connection as I don't pay at other courtyards.

So, while I can see why some would be happy here, I was not. Really disappointed. I now see why many rooms were empty.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
LauraRadler, General Manager at Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre, responded to this review, September 24, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am disappointed that your stay was so poor and only wish that we could have spoken during your stay so that we might have rectified some of these issues. I do appreciate your positive feedback with regards to the staff and assure you that I will investigate your concerns with regards to the bed, hotel directional signage, and business center printers and will work to correct these items. Guest feedback, positive or negative, is important to the continued success of an organization and your comments will help to ensure others to not encounter what you have.

Been to Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre? Share your experiences!