“Yes to camping No to Disney!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

You added The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort to your Saves list
The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   4510 North Fort Wilderness Trail, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Yes to camping No to Disney!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I wish I could review the staff of Disney World and the location separately... but since I can't here goes.

As far as the campsite goes and amenities available, transportation, pools, kids activities, etc everything was GREAT. The campsite was spacious and the transportation wasn't too inconvenient though I would prefer to change the frequency of the bus arrivals and routes if it were me.

My one complaint is that you have to bring your own firepit if you want to have a fire at your campsite. It would be nice if they had them even to rent or something. We flew in and traveling with a firepit was not feasible.

I love that you can mail stuff there before your stay. Full electricity. Bathrooms were clean, hot water stayed hot. We only saw bugs once at Hollywood Studios and didn't have any problems with bugs at our campsite (which actually felt weird... shouldn't there be bugs when camping?).
The Wi-Fi connection is very poor. Not worth doing anything with really. But we picked up one of the modems and plugged in and had internet at the campsite with that no problem.

Disney World was super fun and this was the most economical way to go and stay on site. What broke the trip for us was the staff. The customer service was EXTREMELY disappointing.

As first time Disney World vacationers, I was expecting some excitement, some welcome, some happiness. When we checked in the woman there couldn't have cared less that we were there. She never gave us our "First Disney Visit" buttons and we had to request them later at Magic Kingdom. We got a gruff welcome with instructions on how to use the bathroom key and that was about it. I was so disappointed.

I was hoping it was just an early morning thing, but no. Almost every interaction with a staff member was unpleasant. It is apparent to me that the staff at Disney World hate their jobs! It is so sad.

I had ONE exception with a girl who was actually very sweet and kind, she said it was her first week there though she was also not particularly knowledgeable. But unless she was friendly! There was an older gentleman working the evening shift at Ft. Wilderness that I also found to be genuinely kind. These two are unfortunately the exception not the norm.

As for Disney's Magical Express- it is extremely unmagical.

They told us to stay at our campsite when we arrived because if the luggage was delivered and nobody was there they would keep it at the front lobby (a good long bus ride away). We had a 10 month old baby and a 5 year old. They told us the luggage would take 3-4 hours. We waited at the campsite ALL DAY! It took over 7 hours for our luggage to finally arrive. I was shocked. I went to the front lobby after 5 hours and they said, "oh yea, sometimes that happens." Like it was completely commonplace. They did not seem to care that we were stuck at a campsite with no tent, no luggage, in the rain, with small children because they told us not to leave until our stuff arrived. At that point I left the campsite and took the kids to explore around the area. Our tent was delivered but we were still missing 3 suitcases. I went back to the front lobby and again, they didn't seem to care that we were well outside the quoted time frame.

If it is so common for luggage to take so long, they should never give an expectation of 3-4 hours. The woman at the desk tried to blame it on me saying I didn't tag the suitcases when I know very well that I had. Finally, she went to investigate and what do you know? Miraculously our suitcases were outside on a rack stacked full of suitcases, with the appropriate luggage tag.

No apologies whatsoever.

I was so extremely disappointed and heartbroken with the way this all went down. I wanted our trip to be exciting and magical. I was so excited for Disney World. Our first day was a complete letdown and the employees attitudes could have made all the difference.

All over Disney World the employees just seem to hate their lives, with the exception of the characters. It really puts a damper on the trip.

ALSO- Memory Maker is in my opinion not worth it. We did a lot of character dining and they do not take pictures for you there with a photo pass. They wil take pictures with your camera but they do not have photographers in the restaurant. With the exception of Cinderella's Table.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Berea, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Very nice and private campsites, and very convenient to travel around the Disney property. Bath houses are super clean. Sites are a little tight to get into but are really nice and perfectly level. Only complaint is the golf carts. They have taken over the campsites.

Stayed December 2014

Yup 7. Nice free bathroom and showers
YES 8. Fun things to do
NOO (lol) 9. Good Value
Yup 10. Pet friendly

Really fun campground! The dog park was nice and big for those people with dogs ;) I really enjoyed the pool! It was big! And fun! And Heated! :D Anyway, it didn't actually have wifi, it had internet to plug your computer into.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Pompano Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Not being a true "camper", I wasn't sure what to expect from this place. I'd seen it many times before at Disney, but knew nothing about it. I was invited for a long with a large group of people, so I figured why not.

The cabins are more like mobile homes clad with a log facade to give them that authentic look. Nevertheless, they were quaint, somewhat charming, and the setting made you feel like you were miles away from real civilization, yet they have full kitchens, sleeping for 6, and a full bathroom.

I rented a golf cart, which I recommend for your time there to get around. It's much more convenient and helps keep the peace in the surrounding areas. Everyone seems to use them there.

In the cleanliness dept, the cabin was a bit crusty, but nothing incredibly offensive. Not 400-a-night clean, but let's face it, it's Disney. Always prepare to be underwhelmed for what you pay on property.

The kids had a great time running around the property, and at no time did I feel they were in an unsafe environment. You can also take the ferry over to one of the hotels to the monorail to get in the Magic Kingdom.

It's a decent alternative for an on site Disney property, especially if you like a bit more autonomy that staying in a typical hotel.

• Stayed December 2014
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Campsite at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort:

Camp amid the magic of the great outdoors. Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground evokes the timeless beauty of the American frontier, with deer, rabbits, ducks and armadillos roaming the Resort’s 750 acres of pine and cypress forest. Discover charming woodland trails, a pristine beach, spectacular pool areas and rip-roarin’ entertainment at this picturesque backcountry retreat.

Heated bathrooms are a mainstay at this location for camping, so even the squeamish can be lulled into coming on this camping trip. The boats, beach, trams, buses, all lead to the Disney parks so you can easily jump from camping to vacationing in a single bound. This is a must do location if you like to camp. Favorites: Go to watch the outdoor Disney movies with s'mores, a roaring campfire, hot chocolate, and a warm blanket to sit under the stars. Catch a few Zzz's on the beach with the cool air off the lake on the free chairs. There is so much to do at this campground, you don't even need to go to the parks, so I strongly recommend this location for a great weekend.

Room Tip: Go with a group and rent the group sites; they are much less expensive and a load of fun!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stay there at least 2-3 times per year. It is very hard to get a reservation now. Book early. Now in December there are Christmas decorations everywhere. The campers bring their own for display. It is relaxing compared to hotels in the park. It is one of the best campgrounds Ive been to in the USA..

Room Tip: If you have a pet there are special loops for you.
Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Hudson, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Disney property is very nice and clean. The staff is polite and helpful. The whole experiences was great . We will return for sure! The food was great the campgrounds breakfast buffet, something for everyone.

• Stayed December 2014

Been to The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!