“Avid goers since the 80's” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

and 1 more site!
You added The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort to your Saves list
The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   4510 North Fort Wilderness Trail, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Moore Haven, Florida
“Avid goers since the 80's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

First trip I was about 12 yrs old, now I am in my mid 40's and we are still going. Stayed in a tent in Spanish Moss Lane, great memories over the years. We have stayed in the cabins, but have upgraded to an RV :) It is now even funnier because my little one's first visit was in 2010 and we go for him and he loves it. He counts down the days till the next trip :) We have done and stayed just about everywhere on Disney property, but always come back to Wilderness, we love it. We have seen so many changes over the years since our first trip, but no matter we love our Disney. There are still a few places we have not stayed or went to, but we might get it all done one day. My joy now is remembering the excitement when I was little and now seeing my little ones excitement when we head North to see Mickey Mouse :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was our second time at Camp Wilderness. The camping and cabins are great with nice amenities. I would steer clear of the take out and buffet restaurants near the marina unless you are absolutely desperate. Head to the Wilderness Lodge instead. They were overpriced and tasted liked microwaved dinners. Even the pizza was bad. We enjoyed having breakfast on the outside picnic table and the smore-fest. Our only complaint was housekeeping for the cabin; there was trash in our trashcan and kitchen when we arrived and when we called the woman who came to pick it up she expected a tip. Not sure if that was appropriate. Otherwise really good experience.

Mashpee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A really, really nice place. We stayed on a "premium" site with just a 5th wheel camper and a truck. Would definitely recommend spending the extra money for the "premium" site. They have a lot more room to put out the awning and hanging out outside. We rented a golf cart which is for sure the way to go! There is so much to see a lot of walking depending on how far you are from the marina or the main entrance for the bus. They do have their own transportation but you have to wait for it to come. One downfall is the last day we were there I had made plans to take my son to the little toddler water slide to burn off energy before our long trek home. I got down there about 845 and it didn't open until 10! I should have checked the time but assumed since the main pool was opened 24hrs so was the kiddie area. We had gone there and my son had a blast! Since checkout is 11, we didn't make it there. My son was upset because the kiddie pool is located directly right next to the fence and he could see it and wanted to go in. Not sure why they open at 10. They did not have a lifeguard on duty in the kiddie area when we were there before. That was a big disappointment. The other parents who were there said the same thing. Maybe they will change that soon

• Stayed April 2013
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I camp at Fort Wilderness every year, sometimes a few times a year for a long weekend since we only live 2 hours away. We have a pop up camper always bring our dog along for the fun. I would say half the time we don't even go to a theme park as there is so much to do in and around the campground. We always rent a golf cart! Even when we don't go to a theme park we will take the shuttle boat over to the Contemporary and visit the game room and shops and then get on the monorail and visit all the other resorts and their shops and restaurants. Every night there is a little boat parade down at the lakefront for the little ones along with a Disney movie out by the campfire where the little ones can roast marshmellows. Here is a tip for watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks... take the boat over to the Contemporary, then take the monorail to the Ticket and Transportation center. Get on the Ferry that goes between the Ticket and Transportation Center and the Magic Kingdom (timed at the start time of the fireworks) and you have a front row seat to the fireworks and you didn't even have to purchase a ticket!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pine Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our first time camping at Fort Wilderness and we loved it! We are new to RV'ing, but not new to Disney. Fort Wilderness offered you peace and quiet away from the parks with enough to do that you didn't feel like you were missing out if you didn't go to a park one day. Great sites with ample space, nice picnic tables, lots of big shade trees and full hook-ups. Our dog was in heaven playing in the huge doggie park. Easy bus access if you want to take a bus to the parks (we drove our car). It is fun taking a boat to the Magic Kingdom from the beach area. Great dining spots and a nice bar with a huge outdoor porch to sit on and have a drink while relaxing in a rocking chair. Lovely pool area with nice play area for kids.

Room Tip: If you have a dog ask for Loop 500 as it's just across from the dog park and also close to the b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I with our daughters and there spouses to Fort Wilderness campground for a weeks vacation in late April 2013. Our campsite was 621 and it accomated our family very nicely. We were able to put a tent on the site alone with our travel trailer. This was our first time to the campground resort but our 5th time to Disney. I have to say that we enjoyed the surroundings of the campsite. It was close to the bus stop and the comfort station. The check-in was a little confusing since we had checked in online. When you drive up they don't tell you to go inside the sign states you must stay in your car. However, when we finally did get checked in we received our package and our instructions on how to use the buses inside the campground. I have to say we were told the wrong color bus line for our campsite. After the first time of taking the wrong color we were given the correct infromation by one of the bus drivers. The campground itself is beautiful and a nice place to stay. Our biggest complaint is the amount of time it takes for you to get to and from the parks. They say the buses run every 20 minutes. But let me say you first have to get on a bus from your campsite area that will take you to the front of Fort Wilderness where you sit and wait for a bus to whatever park you want to go to. Those buses run every 20 minutes also but I wish I knew whose watch they were timing it on. There were times we waited 35 minutes or more to return from a park for a bus. Also you have to share a bus with The Wilderness Lodge resort. And believe me those travelers come first before the campground travelers. It will take you up to an hour or more of your time to get to and from the parks. We have stayed at other resorts and never did it take an hour to travel to and from the parks. I think the campground should have its own buses since it is located further away. Maybe this will cut down the travel time. I mean you pay a fair amount of money on parkhopper tickets to be in the park not to be riding a bus for an hour or more. Staying at the campground was going to enable the family to go back and eat lunches and dinners at the campsite. However, because of the time it took to go back and forth we had to rearrange our plans and spent more money on food in the parks. Our whole family loves Disney and we had a wonderful week of fun and togetherness. If we decide to go back I am not sure if I would chose to stay at the campground again just because of the long wait and the amount of buses it takes to get you to and from the parks. I have to say getting to Magic Kingdom on the boat was fine. It was the best way to go. We also ran into a few Disney personnel in the parks that did not know the answers to our questions. I think it must of been training week for new personnel because we got a lot of "i don't know" answers. The Flower and Garden Festival was great but I think my husband and I perfer the Food and Wine Festival. So when we go back I am sure it will be during the fall. Overall a good trip for our family vacation. I almost forgot we paid for a perferred site and was upgraded to a premium site and was very grateful to the staff for the upgrade. The site was perfect for us.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the 600 campsite location. And the 800 campsites looked nice too.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My family started staying at Fort Wilderness back in the 70's. Since starting a family of my own, we have continued the tradition, but staying in the cabins. LOVE the cabins. This last trip, however, we camped. We had an excellent location, loop 1500, near the recreation center, bus stop, comfort station... Check-in was confusing since we "checked-in" online, and I had to repeat all of the steps in-person. And yes, we had the 2 page printout with us. We purchased the quick-service meal plan with our package, knowing that the plan that includes sit-down dining was next to impossible for us to use.
There were several campsites that had multiple families in them. I am not sure how that played out with the reservations, but most were respectful. The one next to us had 3 families, complete with stereo past 11pm (when security finally came). The comfort station includes a laundry facility with incorrectly marked washers/dryers (for the cost). We absolutely love staying in FW, love the convenience, the ambience, most everything about it. I will say that I missed the opportunity to just sit in air conditioning and relax (but that is me, you may not mind the humidity and lack of creature comforts). Our main complaint rests with the quick service restaurant near the boat landing. They have never been known for good/quick service. But they were completely ignorant in providing any kind of positive service for us. The sit-down dining area was vacant less one table of 4. We were told we couldn't wait inside, that those tables are reserved for "paying guests". Um, we are guests and we did pay. We were told 7 minutes wait for our food (not 5, not 10, but 7). 30 minutes later we still didn't have our food nor our 3rd drink that we ordered at the same time as the other 2. When we asked to speak to a manager, none appeared. When we asked for our money back, it was challenged by the same person that promised 7 minute service. We will return to the campground, but we will NEVER patronize their dining facilities again.
One last comment: our son had an accident in his sleep. We phoned Disney Dining, only number in our phone, and they transferred us to FW. FW staff offered to wash the sleeping bag for us. After driving around for 2 hours trying to find a laundromat and purchase laundry soap, that was a WELCOME suggestion. They did follow-through with their offer and we are forever grateful.
To sum it up: We will always stay at, and recommend, the FW campground. Their customer service is phenomenal. The on-site dining, however, is not worth the time of day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Walt Disney World Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!