“Avid goers since the 80's” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground

Save Saved
You added Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground to your Saves list
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   4510 North Fort Wilderness Trail, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830 (Lake Buena Vista)   |
Moore Haven, Florida
“Avid goers since the 80's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

First trip I was about 12 yrs old, now I am in my mid 40's and we are still going. Stayed in a tent in Spanish Moss Lane, great memories over the years. We have stayed in the cabins, but have upgraded to an RV :) It is now even funnier because my little one's first visit was in 2010 and we go for him and he loves it. He counts down the days till the next trip :) We have done and stayed just about everywhere on Disney property, but always come back to Wilderness, we love it. We have seen so many changes over the years since our first trip, but no matter we love our Disney. There are still a few places we have not stayed or went to, but we might get it all done one day. My joy now is remembering the excitement when I was little and now seeing my little ones excitement when we head North to see Mickey Mouse :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was our second time at Camp Wilderness. The camping and cabins are great with nice amenities. I would steer clear of the take out and buffet restaurants near the marina unless you are absolutely desperate. Head to the Wilderness Lodge instead. They were overpriced and tasted liked microwaved dinners. Even the pizza was bad. We enjoyed having breakfast on the outside picnic table and the smore-fest. Our only complaint was housekeeping for the cabin; there was trash in our trashcan and kitchen when we arrived and when we called the woman who came to pick it up she expected a tip. Not sure if that was appropriate. Otherwise really good experience.

Mashpee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

A really, really nice place. We stayed on a "premium" site with just a 5th wheel camper and a truck. Would definitely recommend spending the extra money for the "premium" site. They have a lot more room to put out the awning and hanging out outside. We rented a golf cart which is for sure the way to go! There is so much to see a lot of walking depending on how far you are from the marina or the main entrance for the bus. They do have their own transportation but you have to wait for it to come. One downfall is the last day we were there I had made plans to take my son to the little toddler water slide to burn off energy before our long trek home. I got down there about 845 and it didn't open until 10! I should have checked the time but assumed since the main pool was opened 24hrs so was the kiddie area. We had gone there and my son had a blast! Since checkout is 11, we didn't make it there. My son was upset because the kiddie pool is located directly right next to the fence and he could see it and wanted to go in. Not sure why they open at 10. They did not have a lifeguard on duty in the kiddie area when we were there before. That was a big disappointment. The other parents who were there said the same thing. Maybe they will change that soon

• Stayed April 2013
oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Well we traveled and stayed here on spring break 09, it was our first time visiting Disney.
It was wonderful, the cabin is not small and we had 3 younger kids so they really enjoyed the place, even the murphy bed was comfortable for us, we don't really like soft beds (please check my review for all star music resort) and all of them were nice and comfy, our 4 kids stayed at the room and we sleep at the murphy bed during the 8 days we stayed there.
We never used the kitchen because we bought the dining plan, we only used the mini fridge for bottle water, because Florida in march it is hot.
Very clean enough toiletries, we only had to ask for towels and they were brought 10 minutes later, at night which was awesome.
The cabins are separated from each other, so it is very quiet and if like privacy , you have it here.
We park our car in front of the cabin every cabin has his parking space,we drove our car to Epcot twice, then we use the bus service(we were like 3 min. from the bus stop) to get there Hollywood studios and animal kingdom,we never had to wait to long ,and at night was nice to be close to the stop because we were exhausted, we use the bus then the boat to get to magic kingdom, the boat it's relaxing at night, at least for my younger son.
We are 6 in our family at the time we traveled we has a 14 year old,9 year old ,8 year old and 6 year old, mom and dad.
It was our first time, and we enjoyed all , the only thing I regret was the dates we choose, because the park were so crowded, we ate at the trails end restaurant the first night and we got there 1 hour late, because our younger son had a tantrum issue at the park and we lost our time, calm him down, they honored our reservation.
If you love nature this is the place for you to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I camp at Fort Wilderness every year, sometimes a few times a year for a long weekend since we only live 2 hours away. We have a pop up camper always bring our dog along for the fun. I would say half the time we don't even go to a theme park as there is so much to do in and around the campground. We always rent a golf cart! Even when we don't go to a theme park we will take the shuttle boat over to the Contemporary and visit the game room and shops and then get on the monorail and visit all the other resorts and their shops and restaurants. Every night there is a little boat parade down at the lakefront for the little ones along with a Disney movie out by the campfire where the little ones can roast marshmellows. Here is a tip for watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks... take the boat over to the Contemporary, then take the monorail to the Ticket and Transportation center. Get on the Ferry that goes between the Ticket and Transportation Center and the Magic Kingdom (timed at the start time of the fireworks) and you have a front row seat to the fireworks and you didn't even have to purchase a ticket!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pine Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our first time camping at Fort Wilderness and we loved it! We are new to RV'ing, but not new to Disney. Fort Wilderness offered you peace and quiet away from the parks with enough to do that you didn't feel like you were missing out if you didn't go to a park one day. Great sites with ample space, nice picnic tables, lots of big shade trees and full hook-ups. Our dog was in heaven playing in the huge doggie park. Easy bus access if you want to take a bus to the parks (we drove our car). It is fun taking a boat to the Magic Kingdom from the beach area. Great dining spots and a nice bar with a huge outdoor porch to sit on and have a drink while relaxing in a rocking chair. Lovely pool area with nice play area for kids.

Room Tip: If you have a dog ask for Loop 500 as it's just across from the dog park and also close to the b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I with our daughters and there spouses to Fort Wilderness campground for a weeks vacation in late April 2013. Our campsite was 621 and it accomated our family very nicely. We were able to put a tent on the site alone with our travel trailer. This was our first time to the campground resort but our 5th time to Disney. I have to say that we enjoyed the surroundings of the campsite. It was close to the bus stop and the comfort station. The check-in was a little confusing since we had checked in online. When you drive up they don't tell you to go inside the sign states you must stay in your car. However, when we finally did get checked in we received our package and our instructions on how to use the buses inside the campground. I have to say we were told the wrong color bus line for our campsite. After the first time of taking the wrong color we were given the correct infromation by one of the bus drivers. The campground itself is beautiful and a nice place to stay. Our biggest complaint is the amount of time it takes for you to get to and from the parks. They say the buses run every 20 minutes. But let me say you first have to get on a bus from your campsite area that will take you to the front of Fort Wilderness where you sit and wait for a bus to whatever park you want to go to. Those buses run every 20 minutes also but I wish I knew whose watch they were timing it on. There were times we waited 35 minutes or more to return from a park for a bus. Also you have to share a bus with The Wilderness Lodge resort. And believe me those travelers come first before the campground travelers. It will take you up to an hour or more of your time to get to and from the parks. We have stayed at other resorts and never did it take an hour to travel to and from the parks. I think the campground should have its own buses since it is located further away. Maybe this will cut down the travel time. I mean you pay a fair amount of money on parkhopper tickets to be in the park not to be riding a bus for an hour or more. Staying at the campground was going to enable the family to go back and eat lunches and dinners at the campsite. However, because of the time it took to go back and forth we had to rearrange our plans and spent more money on food in the parks. Our whole family loves Disney and we had a wonderful week of fun and togetherness. If we decide to go back I am not sure if I would chose to stay at the campground again just because of the long wait and the amount of buses it takes to get you to and from the parks. I have to say getting to Magic Kingdom on the boat was fine. It was the best way to go. We also ran into a few Disney personnel in the parks that did not know the answers to our questions. I think it must of been training week for new personnel because we got a lot of "i don't know" answers. The Flower and Garden Festival was great but I think my husband and I perfer the Food and Wine Festival. So when we go back I am sure it will be during the fall. Overall a good trip for our family vacation. I almost forgot we paid for a perferred site and was upgraded to a premium site and was very grateful to the staff for the upgrade. The site was perfect for us.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the 600 campsite location. And the 800 campsites looked nice too.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground? Share your experiences!