“Will not return” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Naperville, Illinois
“Will not return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Booked our trip through Universal vacations. The pool picture online was NOT our pool! I have kids so that was important. I booked in March and we arrived mid July 2013. Booked 2 adjoining rooms. What we got were two rooms in two different buildings!!!! Guest services offered to "try" to get us the adjoining rooms the next day....we said okay at first..then figured we would be gone to the parks so forget it. (who wants to have someone else pack up our stuff). Both room faced parking lots. Why not pool facing rooms? We booked so early!! The room was okay(remodeled) but the fan in the bathroom/shower area was so noisy. They took out carpet and put floors in..but because of the humidity they always felt damp. Spent a fortune on coffee and $5 waters also!! Transportation for the parks had to be booked in advance and although the bus driver was amazing..one day we had to spring for a taxi because we would not have make our breakfast reservations. 50 percent of the staff were professional and friendly;however the other half I smiled and spoke to first. One bartender in particular should change her line of work. I guess I should stop here..I previously stayed with Disney's Pop Century value hotel..spent WAY less money and was treated WAY better. For a single mom with two kids this was disappointing and money NOT well spent. WILL NOT RETURN!

Room Tip: Call a few days ahead and make sure you are getting what you asked for. Also, if you book 6 months...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hayley C, Guest Relations Manager at Avanti International Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Pattieyy, thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We have double checked to ensure the photos on the Universal Vacations site is accurate. The photos on all of the websites representing our resort are accurately showing our pool, based on our research. Can you please point us to the website that is showing the wrong picture? We would love to get that fixed immediately.

We apologize that you did not receive a room overlooking the pool area. These rooms are considered "Superior", while rooms overlooking the parking areas are considered "Deluxe". When booking, you can guarantee a room overlooking the pool area by booking a "superior" room. Most importantly, we apologize that you did not have an absolutely wonderful experience with all of our staff members. We strive to make all of our guests feel welcome and valued, as they truly are. The experience you describe is far below our usual standards and we apologize for that. We hope that you will offer us the chance to make it up to you. We would appreciate it if you would contact us so that we can discuss your experience and arrange a return trip to show you the great experience we love to provide.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
Port Orange
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this resort thru Hotels.com and I was kinda weary as we got such a great deal (have been burned by great deals in the past). Usually the pictures do not come close to the real thing. First off the location could not have been better centrally located in the heart of things on I-Drive, walked in to the lobby and was wowed by the sleek appearance. I was like okay .... Checked in with the help of Ryan who was a front desk supervisor. He answered all questions and gave out useful information. Sent us on our way and when we arrived at our room and opened the door, we were floored!! The room did not look like your typical hotel room. The room was chic and modern and was EXACTLY how the pictures were displayed online. The only issue we had was the over-powering smell of "clean". WE WILL DEFINITELY be back again.

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor of Bldg 1, our room faced the parking lot and I-Drive beyond. Got morni...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Suzanne, thank you for writing such a wonderful review on your experience with us. It is so great to hear that you enjoyed the sleek appearance of our lobby as well as the modern decor in the guest rooms. We're also pleased to hear that our front desk staff provided you with great customer service. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review, and look forward to your next trip to see us!
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Thanks Avanti for making my holidays so amazing! All the time was perfect. Staff made us feel like home and the pool was incredible. All my family loved it! Location was great as well as transportation to Disney and Universal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jose, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad that your family enjoyed our pool area. We just opened our brand new pool bar & grill as well as the fitness center and game room. All of this is located right next to the pool. It's also great that you utilized the shuttle transportation to the theme parks. Thank you for your comments, and we hope you will come stay with us again!
Bathgate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

below is the email I sent to Thomson on my return... says it all I think

sirs,

I am writing to complain in the highest possible regard about the accommodation and resort service which we recently received on our trip to Florida.

We decided to stay at the Avanti Resort, International drive on the recommendation of your in store sales advisor and brochure write up.

Firstly, when we arrived we were advised that we would be charged $5 per day for amenities, when queried we were told that it was to cover Fridges and Microwaves if they were required, we advised that this was not in the brochure but were essentially told "tough"

As we have an 18 month old daughter, we called upon reaching the room to advise that we needed a fridge, we were told that there were none and to call back in the morning.

When we called in the morning we were told the same again.

We called the next morning and were told same again.

I finally went down to reception on Friday 12th July and was told that the $5 dollar fee was not for fridges and microwaves but was for Wi Fi usage and parking.

two things here; we had no car and secondly your brochure states free WIFI

I said I wanted to see a Thomson Rep immediately and was told they did not know when and if one would attend the hotel, Infact I did not see a Thomson Rep or hear from a Thomson Rep for the 14 days that I was there.

I told reception that this was unacceptable and they moved me to another room which they called a "suite" - this room did not have 2 double beds but 1 double bed and a sofa bed.

Not great but at least I had a fridge for my daughters food.

unfortunately this was not the end of the fridge saga, the fridge that was in this room leaked all over the floor and had to be repaired.... not particularly well but leak was not so bad!

the rooms were also damp and all of my clothing began to smell, when we put some clothing over the outside railing to dry it was stolen when we were at a theme park.... maybe should not have been a surprise given the numerous other problems with the hotel.

Upon departure I was charged the $5 per day resulting in charges to my card of £53.06, I of course expect this back from Thomson Immediately

I can assure you that this has very much damaged my relationship with Thomson and at this stage I plan to book all future Florida trips (and others) through another travel agent... one who has Reps on site

Michael Field

Room Tip: stay clear
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hayley C, Guest Relations Manager at Avanti International Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Mr. Field, we sincerely appreciate you choosing to stay at Avanti. We are deeply sorry to hear that you had a few inconveniences during your stay. We'd like to encourage you to keep trying to get in touch with Thomson regarding many of these concerns, as we are not connected to whether or not they would have a rep on site.

We apologize that, at this time, only our suites have refrigerators in them. The "King Suites" have a king bed and pull-out sofa as well as a mini-fridge and microwave. We encourage guests who need a refrigerator to book these rooms. We apologize that you were not made aware of this.

The resort fee is in place to cover use of the shuttle service to the theme parks, WiFi, parking, local calls, and use of the on-site amenities like the pool, game room, and fitness center. We apologize that there was some miscommunication regarding this and are making efforts to ensure this is more clear. We have double checked to ensure that the resort fee has already been refunded to you and confirmed that it has.

We apologize that your stay with us was not as positive as it could have been. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with the very best experience. If you plan to come back to Orlando, we hope you will allow us the chance to make this up to you. Please contact us if you decide to do this so that we can assist in arranging your stay.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Got the deal throughout groupon, didn't read the reviews, which was bad mistake...the room was clean, but the door wasn't closed all the way so was a lot of moisture, the door was hard to open, the room doesn't have a coffee maker, you need to go down to the lobby to buy, the beds are made from metal so if you touch the bottom of the bed with you legs you weaking up the neighbor too, then I felt being minority there, you need to speake Creole to worke there, then was two times when someone "knocked by mistake on my door" the worse place I ever been !!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for writing a review. We are glad to see that you did enjoy the location of our resort and found the room to be extremely clean. We appreciate all of your feedback. Please know that we are currently discussing putting coffee makers in the room. That is an addition we hope to make in the very near future. We have also found a solution to the metal bed frame noise and are in the process of addressing all of the guest rooms. We do apologize that this was not addressed in your room yet.
Fellsmere, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Avanti resort for 2 nights on our honeymoon. Our stay was overall wonderful. The room was very clean and comfortable. However, the tub was a bit noisy and almost made me feel like I was going to fall through. The elevators also seemed to need attention as they were loud and bumpy. No big deal though, we were okay with taking the stairs up. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The only downfall was we reserved online and there was no mention of the $50 hold they put on your card until you check out that can take up to 7 business days to be returned. We loved the modern look and access to the cafe. It also was a very quiet area considering the number of guests that were staying. I also noticed what appeared to be security at night, which is always nice. Overall we had a wonderful stay, I would highly recommend Avanti resort and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel was recently remodeled and they are still in the process of completely furnishing all rooms (e.g., no refrigerators yet). Our room was decent and the décor was modern. The shower was not remodeled – tile showing mold and coming loose. The beds looked great but every time you sat on them the metal framing let out a loud whining noise; so don’t plop down on the beds.

We were stuck in between two rooms with families that obviously knew each other and decided to congregate in front of our door/window. At the hotel anointed quite time of 11:00 PM we asked the families to quite down. About 20 minutes later, we notified the hotel desk of the loud noise. By midnight the noise was gone but the next morning one of the families decided to pound on our door and proceeded to throw stuff at the hotel walls.

Needless to say, that’s our first and last stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hayley C, Guest Relations Manager at Avanti International Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Avanti. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the contemporary decor of the resort. Please know that we have found a way to minimize the noise from the bed frames and are in the process of addressing all of the rooms. We hope you were also able to enjoy our brand new pool bar & grille which is next to our game room and fitness center.

We take the comfort, safety, and security of our guests very seriously. The situation you describe is not something that we ever want our guests to experience, and we sincerely apologize for it. In the future, please know that we would have been glad to switch you to a new room and to also speak with the guests who were disturbing you. We deeply apologize for this situation. It is our hope that you will allow us the chance to make it up to you by staying with us again. Please contact us if you decide to do so and we would be happy to arrange your stay.

Been to Avanti International Resort? Share your experiences!