“Barbershop singers convention” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
“Barbershop singers convention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Generally the hotel lives up to its claim of service, cleanliness, free wi-if. We asked that my sister be assigned a room near ours and the helpful desk clerk spent several minutes arranging it. My husband in his dotage left behind some personal items which were located and are being mailed to us. On the other hand the Cafe Osceola . . . . Buffet was delicious but service poor. Our server pointed us at the buffet then disappeared and had to be located to give us our tab which included a 20% gratuity. And a Line below labeled Tip. Market had many good choices. And Tables outside to enjoy the beautiful weather. Yes, lots of walking but since we usually walk 1 mile daily we were happy with that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi Barbjwk!

Thank you for your honest feedback about the property. I have sent the review to Danny Sosa, Food and Beverage Manager for Café Osceola to ensure he looks into his service standards. This is normally not an issue so I apologize for any inconvenience you ran into.

We hope you visit us again soon. It was a pleasure having the singers here…it was nice walking down the hallway to lovely voices each day.

Thank you for staying.

tshoemaker@rosenhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Recently spent several days at this hotel as part of a convention. This is a big golf resort, although I am not allowed golf courses, so I did not experience that aspect of the resort. Great convention facility, with a variety of rooms for different convention functions.

There are several restaurants right on the property, with a great variety of choices (Italian, Mexican, Sushi, etc.) All that we tried were very good.

Rooms in the hotel are very nice. The only problem I had was with the free wi-fi in the room. Was not able to connect at all the last 4 days of our stay. The hotel tech guy tried to tell me that the problem was with my computer, but I talked to several people with the same problem. Furthermore, my computer worked fine when I got back home.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Coming from my hometown of Grand Rapids, Weaver1952, I like you already!

Thanks so much for the kind words. Stay warm and if you need to thaw out, let me know!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

A brilliant trip I had with my family and I have to say what a lovely place Shingle Creek is. Food= good Golf Course= good Location= excellent but one problem is the people staying for conferences. There was an Episcol church conference and I say about 400 people flocked into the hotel. The thing is they were all so rude and ignorant didn't even say hello or nice day. They would push and shove to get there own way. Now I'm sure not everyone is like this but there was an Indian conference the next week and they even worse but I would advise everyone to stay here the staff are really good and the restaurant and shop are brill. Best holiday ever!!!

• Stayed July 2012
I’m so sorry for the way that the other guests in the hotel treated you, ShaneF131.

I can’t do much about their attitudes, but I’m so happy to hear that our team did a great job.

Let me know if you will be back….I would love to have the opportunity to help you book in the future.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Keller, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate her 40th birthday. The grounds, lobby and rooms are very nice and very clean. The staff is exceedingly friendly, but that is to be expected in the Disney/Universal Studios area. They were going through a little bit of construction in the valet area out front, but I can't knock them for this. The only real complaint is the the distance of the parking from the hotel. They do have valet service, but if you want to park for free (on the weekends only), it is a hike uphill to the hotel with your luggage. I definitely would stay there again especially for the price I was able to get on Priceline.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces the parking lot, and the other faces the grounds which are beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi mulhollen~!

Thank you for the review of your stay. The re-pavement of the front driveway is finally complete and looks amazing.

Sorry you had to deal with this during your stay.

Hope you come back and visit us again. We would love the opportunity to have you stay with us in the future.

Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very nice location! I attended a conference here with my wife. Our 6th floor room was very comfortable. We experienced no noise issues in the room (even though there was evidently a barber shop quartet convention and we could hear people singing most everywhere we went around the hotel). The hotel staff - from check-in to maintenance to restaurant staff - were VERY friendly and helpful (an IT staffer walked us to our meeting room when we were lost a long way from where we wanted to be).

The restaurants and meeting arrangements were excellent. We ate dinner at Calla Bella, lunch at the Clubhouse Grille (great sandwiches) and the buffet Cafe Osceola. They served breakfast at our meeting room, including one beautiful morning outside the room. They obviously know how to cater to groups.

The pool areas provide a great place to sit and relax. There is a long jogging trail and a nice interpretive nature trail. The fitness center is well equipped and was never crowded while we were there. We did not use the golf course, sand volleyball, or tennis courts. There is also a fishing dock.

The hotel and property is very large, catering to groups and conventions. So expect to walk a lot. Valet parking and self parking available for a fee ($20 & $16), but the fee can be included in your group fees if you are scheduling a conference. The walk to the self-parking is long, but security on a golf cart offered us a ride!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you so much, BSGA!

We appreciate your honest feedback on the hotel. We hope you come back soon and visit.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with in the future.

Natrona County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is a great venue for conventions and large groups. The Christmas decorations and trees were still up and quite lovely. We checked in while a national cheerleading competition had competitors also arriving. We had booked a 2 queen room and were offered a hospitality suite instead. It was fabulous but it meant 5 nights sleeping on a murphy bed. No thank you. We did agree to switch to a king petite suite since we could tell they really wanted 2 bed rooms for cheerleading groups.

We noticed an unpleasant smell when we got to our room. Decided amping up the air system was needed. Left immediately for dinner at Land Remembered (delicious steak!!) and did not return until after 10 pm. Smell still present and made us think of a shower curtain that needs to be switched out. Decided to make sure that happened when the room was made up the next day. However, by 5:00 in the a.m. we couldn't handle the smell (think mildew) and called to see what our options were. The hotel was scheduled to be full that night so it took some time to figure out where to put us. The bellman showed up by 6:00 a.m. and we moved to a standard king room. It smelled fine and we were happy to be out of the odor that we were sure was invading our clothes, etc. The main reason I am relating this experience is to warn travelers to not accept the room with the hope it will improve. Wish we hadn't as it was a sleepless night and our new room was fine as were the rooms we were in of several friends.

It was nice to have a room fridge and the Market on the lower level was nice to have. Parking was ridiculous. Thought we did not want to always have to wait for valet but it may have taken just as long to locate a place to park in self parking. With the hotel full, it was not surprising that this was an issue. By Sunday when all the cheerleaders left, parking was plentiful.

We were here for business and did not have a choice of hotels. It was much more enjoyable after much of the crowd left. The casual eateries were not packed and it was quiet. If I had a choice to stay again, I would really try and opt for a time when they were not overflowing for a more relaxing experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay overall, Takemeaway79!

Sorry about the few issues you ran into, but happy to hear that they were solved.

I will check with the housekeeping on the situation to see what it was. That is very interesting.

Thanks again,

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I consider myself a big fan of Rosen Hotels, specifically Shingle Creek. I've stayed at several of their hotels near the convention center with very positive experiences. The property and room cleanliness were on point as usual, however here a some of the issues I encountered...for starters, the mini bar didn't have anything in it (not even water...no where in the room for that matter), the coffee pot wasn't operable and even after I walked to the vending machine on my floor it wasn't operational. When I spoke to Randy via phone, I was instructed to go one floor down or up to get water out of a different vending machine. I found this as a curious solution. My other alternative was to call room service and pay even more for my $2 bottle of water. I drove to Publix down the street and bought a 24-pack to solve the matter on my own. IMO not the best way for the hotel to have handled it so I hope to have a better experience if I return and hope other guest don't have the same misfortune.

Other than that, the hotel service was very good and the location is extremely convenient.

Hi FicoUCF!

We are a fan of yours too! So sorry about the items you mentioned in your review.

All of our properties have mini-refrigerators; however, we do not stock them. We do offer the market at each of the properties for our guests to enjoy. I’m sorry for the ‘solution’ that was given to you because it definitely wasn’t the best one.

I hope these errors don’t stop you in the future. Please reach out to me if there is anything I can do for you.

tshoemaker@rosenhotels.com

Been to Rosen Shingle Creek? Share your experiences!