“My recent visit to Rosen Shingle Creek” 5 of 5 stars

Rosen Shingle Creek
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32819   |
Ranked #36 of 328 hotels in Orlando
York, Pennsylvania
“My recent visit to Rosen Shingle Creek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have never stayed in such a huge hotel before, and I was afraid it might be cold and impersonal. My experience was exactly the opposite. The staff were all professional yet friendly. The front desk, restaurant staff at the Osceola Cafe, the housekeepers, and the valets all provided exceptional service.
I loved the sunrise view from my room!
The decor in the room was elegant without being overdone. I liked the natural colors - the browns and coppers. The mattress was the most comfortable I ever slept on; firm without being too hard. The pillows were comfortable too.
The small refrigerator had room to keep a half gallon of milk and orange juice, and some other snacks. I had most breakfasts in my room, and was out of the hotel during other meal times.
I really liked the cedar and citrus scent of the bath items, too. Everything fit in with the Shingle Creek theme and the setting of the hotel.
The highlight of my stay was the nature trail. I walked 3 times, and each day saw different sights. I took lots of pictures! Only a bruised foot kept me from going out every day.

I had breakfast twice at the Osceola Cafe. What a great breakfast! Of course I ate too much, but my walk should have helped with some of those calories. I loved the smoked fish - I've never seen four varieties on a breakfast buffet! The variety of fresh fruit was enticing, and I have never seen an entire table of cereal toppings. The waiters were so attentive. One after the other would stop at the table and ask if I needed more coffee or anything else.

I do have an issue with the parking charges. It was inconvenient for family or friends to visit me at the hotel, since they would have had to pay $16 for parking! There was also a little mildew in the shower.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper like me, see if you can get a room without a connecting door, away from t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi jane I.

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor. I absolutely loved reading it.

Please keep my information on file and let me know if you are coming back. I will make sure that your friends and family have no issues visiting you again!

2,073 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Orlando
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I'm a guest of this hotel as I type this. I spend 65 to 80 nights per year on the road and this is the first time I've been prompted to post a review. I'm staying through one of the worst overall experiences from a service standpoint I have ever experienced anywhere.

First it was the internet. Full strength wifi signal since check in - but 3 days of no internet connectivity. I've been on the phone 5 times to the IT department. The first person said internet had been down 2 days before I arrived. The manager they bumped me to when I told them that was simply unacceptable said wifi was not down and any problem had been taken care of and he would see to it mine was. 2 more days of no internet and repeated calls to IT lead to the admission - internet is down, we don't know why and there's nothing we can help you with - but we'll have management speak to you to offer some form of compensation for the inconvenience (this from the IT supervisor). Result - no word from management. Day 4 of my stay - internet finally works.

Then there are the room keys. I'm at the end of the 10th floor - there are 50 rooms between my room and the elevator. I know because I've had to make the trek to get keys replaced 2 times. Three sets of keys in 4 days - they stay in my shirt pocket, nowhere near a wallet, other card or cell phone. But every 1 to 1 1/2 days they quit working and I have to make the 20 minute circuit down to the front desk where I have to stand in line behind people checking in and show my ID to get new keys made.

Then there's the maid service. The first 2 days of my stay - no washcloths in the bathroom. Ever have to wash your back or rinse shave cream off your face in the morning without a washcloth? The last 2 days? Washcloths but no bath mat.

I finally got sick of this and my last trip down I asked to speak to a manager. I had to stand at the desk over 10 minutes before one showed up! When he did and I explained my frustration as an experienced traveler with the poor service I had experienced here, the response? Upturned palms and an "I'm sorry sir".

Let me get this straight. I have to stand in the registration line 3 times for one stay due to room key issues, have to do email on my phone because there is no internet for 3 days and I cant get a washcloth reliably in my room while I have to pay $16 a night to park in a parking lot 1/3 mile from my room? And all I get is upturned palms?

Oh yeah - the parking. Unlike the Westin Imagine I've stayed at in the past a mile or two up the road that has a garage attached to the hotel - this place has parking lot. And it's not even close to the entrance to the hotel. Seriously, I have a 1/3 mile walk to get from my hotel room door to my car. It rained today. Great. All for just $16 a day. Of course you can pay to valet, but given the lousy overall service why would I pay these idiots more?

And as someone who typically gives little heed to the demeanor of staff, I have to amplify the comments of another reviewer. The front desk employees are cold and ambivalent if that sort of thing matters to you.

All of this adds up to me to management who has little real concern for the guest experience and that simply percolates through to the remainder of the staff. The place has the attitude of a public utility. If you don't like it you can just leave frustrated and there will always be another tourist to replace you they can treat just as ambivalently.

Avoid at all costs unless you're a golfer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hi Joe S-

I’m so sorry for your stay and even sorrier that I am just now getting this review from TripAdvisor. I’m sorry for the delay in response.

I am sending you a separate email.

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Rosen Single Creek for our Christmas holiday. We were both very impressed with the beautiful hotel. The rooms are large, clean, the beds are very comfortable and it is a quiet hotel. Having the small fridge in the room was also a great advantage. The pools are fantastic and the pool bar is great. The food at the Munroe St Market was very good. The parking lot was very spacious and I've read many reviews where people have complained about the distance it is from the hotel. It's not that far a walk especially when we considered all the walking we did at Universal and Downtown Disney. The only thing that did bother me about the parking lot was when many drivers at night decided to not park in legitimate parking spots and hampered other vehicles from exiting the parking lot. We certainly would recommend this hotel to others and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor overlooking the front of the hotel. Good location to see fireworks.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
HI 272meb!

Thank you so much for the 5 star review on your most recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself.

We are definitely aware of the parking situation and are in the process of finding ways to prevent guests from parking in spots they shouldn’t be. We understand that this is an inconvenience and we apologize.

I hope to hear from you in the future. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you very much.

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My rating starts with the golf course and staff at Shingle Creek Golf Course situated next to the hotel. The course is beautiful, very well maintained, with a friendly professional staff; it's played by locals as well as travelers like my husband and me. Valet parking is free when playing the course and we took advantage of the golf package: $189/night that included a nice room and two rounds of golf each day! When not playing on this package (which we did for a few days when staying at a different hotel) we paid $90 each just for a round of golf.

The hotel is fairly new. It's a large resort offering at least six different restaurants to choose from so you are not stuck with high-priced formal dinners each night. On the casual side, their deli is outstanding, they have a coffee shop, and if you are golfing in the morning you can't go wrong with the great breakfast sandwich at the snack shop at the turn.

The room was a nice size (we had a king on the 8th floor), clean, well laid out, with a decent shower/bath area (but nothing fancy there). The room also offers a fridge, coffee maker, and in-room safe - all amenities that I appreciate. The only thing I did not like was the brick hard pillows.

We usually like to stay at a place where we can park the car and walk to restaurants / shopping and this is the downside to this resort; there is not much in the immediate area of the hotel so walking to anything off property is not a great option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the golf package, gumbygirl1. Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. We would love to have you stay with us again in the future.

Thanks again,

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is a fantastic facility with large clean rooms, beautiful surroundings, pool and other services. The beds are very comfortable. We did not have any meals there but used the onsite very convenient store. The not so good things here are: Internet connectivity was very bad, parking is expensive, and reception staff is cold although efficient.

Thank you bdatl_traveler!

Thank you so much for the review of the property. We apologize about the internet and the experience with the reception staff. I would love to hear more about your stay if you have the chance. We always want to ensure that we are working on any issues that are brought up so they are not an issue again.

Thanks for sharing. I hope to hear from you soon.

Metuchen, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I am writing this post after night number one here at Shingle Creek.

We chose this hotel because it is the official hotel for the Rutgers football team for the Russell Athletic Bowl. Whenever we come to Orlando, we always stay at Starwood properties, looks like we will stick with that trend, as our experience thus far has been more of a bureen than a vacation.

We arrived around 1:30am after a long day of travel. Upon arrival, the man at the front desk was anything but welcoming. In fact, he never even offered us a welcoming. I believe the only time he spoke was when he asked for my credit card and when he asked us bow many room keys.

I am traveling with two others. When I made the reservation, I requested two queen beds and a room with a pool view. When we entered our room, we found one king bed and no pool view.

The thing that really bothers me is that the front desk agent saw I was with two other people, yet made no mention that we had a room with one king bed. Instead, we had to call down only to be told that here at Shigle Creek you are not guaranteed bed requests.

We ended up havig to wait about 25 minutes for a "complimentary" (oh how nice) cot. The cot is smaller than a twin bed.

Talk about starting off our stay here on a sour note! As of now, we would never recommend this hotel or come again. Poor front desk service and the fact that you arent guaranteed what thpe of beds you have is an absolute joke.

• Stayed December 2012
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Hello msmith21!

I’m so sorry about this situation that you have run into.

I sent you a personal message in hopes you would receive it before this is actually posted.

Please reach out to me so I can fix this for you.

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a very beautiful hotel, located near everything by a small car ride. The service was perfect the staff was very helpful and always with excellent attitude. The room was very spacious, clean and modern. There are a lot of sports and activities for children. The only concern was the Internet connection, for two days I had problems and need to call help desk. Self parking and valet are not free. For sure I will come back soon!

Hi Christian B-

Thank you very much for the amazing review. It is greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.

tshoemaker@rosenhotels.com

Been to Rosen Shingle Creek? Share your experiences!