“My First Regret Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Shalimar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,316 of 3,263 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
“My First Regret Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

My hubby and I never ever thought of writing a review about anything!!! But this place was soooooo bas that we wanted to warn people not to go in order not to ruin their vacation!! To sum it up: place is smelly, wall is stained, server is very friendly but slow! Food presentation is not inviting and the atmosphere is depressing!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“You gotta be kiddin'!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

As soon as we took our seats at the Shalimar last week, we knew we'd made a huge mistake, Surrounded by dirty, empty tables, the place was already looking like a comedy waiting to unfold! Being very British and not wanting to cause a fuss of any kind, we stayed. We ordered our drinks which took a while to arrive, but were ok. The popadoms arrived, so slippy we could hardly keep them in our grasp - oil slick!!! I already had a feeling that this was going to be one of those hilarious experiences that we'd be splitting our sides about by tomorrow. An hour after ordering our meals the first three starters arrived. They looked like they'd been garnished with hedge trimmings but tasted ok. In the meantime four more victims (Customers) arrived, (I'll point out now, that after and hour and a half, they left paying only for their starters and drinks as the main course was not worth paying for). Not us! we were in for the long haul, hearty and tenacious that's us! (some would say stupid, that were to be proved right!).

The final three starters arrived and were eaten, not enjoyed, but eaten never the less. What seemed like decades later, and by which time my whole family had collapsed in a fit of laughter, that left us actual pain!! The main courses arrived - well 5 of them did! "butter chicken" said the waitress, we all shook our heads. She served the remaining 4 meals, by which time the "butter chicken" had miraculously morphed into my Mam's chicken korma! The two biryanis were simply a plate of rice with 'meat' chucked in, no sauce, no salad - nothing. to say it was dry was an understatement. The other two meals tasted exactly the same as each other - tomato soup anyone!!? Half of the final meal arrived, by which time the rest of us had pushed ours to one side. The meal was exactly the same as the others, more soup with a bit of meat mixed in. We had visions of some poor fool with a camping stove flying by the seat of his pants in the kitchen. Now I have no idea if the stove gave up, but the other half of that final meal never did arrive.

The dips for our popadoms did turn up at the end of the meal - better late than never eh?!

When the bill arrived for $270, our British nature went out of the window! We asked to see the manger and told him that he was having a laugh, we pointed out the hours of our life that we will never get back, that we had waited in his dirty restaurant, waiting for food that either didn't turn up, or we couldn't eat. He threatened to call the police, when we offered to pay for just the drinks and starters, not wanting a scene in front of our family, it was decided that we pay $99 and leave. The final insult? Having to hold my daughter's hair back half way down the road as she threw up what little she had eaten.

The Shalimar deserves no stars (I had to give one to submit my review).

For comedy value, well, I haven't laughed so much for years, but if you want food, other than tomato soup, and food that will stay down, decent service and a nice clean place to enjoy it, forget the Shalimar.

(my husband had to use a plunger on the toilet to stop it from over flowing, yes, they had a plunger there for customers to use!! But That's another story!......

• Visited October 2013
“Don't do it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Most expensive place my boyfriend and I ate in whilst in Orlando and worst quality/taste. Ordered a madras and a vindaloo, warning signs alerted when the server asked if we wanted them hot,medium or mild? Mild vindaloo????

The food came both tasted the same one with more curry powder than the other!

Can't be bothered to write anymore about this horrendous place.

• Visited August 2013
Swindon
“Expensive tastes of India”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We dined here while on holiday we've just returned from. We had been on a long day out at Busch Gardens and when we go back the coach dropped us off near this restaurant so rather than go all of the way back and get changed to go out and eat we thought we would stop in and try the food, as I'm partial to a nice curry.

I want to open and say that despite the poor rating I'm giving it, there was nothing wrong with the food, I had a Lamb Balti which was cooked very nicely and the meat was perfect and tender, my better half had a lamb Shahi which was equally as good, unfortunately that's where the good news ends!

The curry itself was about average for what you would expect in a sit down Indian restaurant, better than a take away, but not fine dining. The price however didn't match the curry or the level of service, the bill for 2 (2 currys with rice, and nan bread each) and a childs meal with a couple of drinks came to over $100! This was the most we paid for a meal all holiday and we ate our at the sit down Mexican restaurant in Epcot for less. Now I didn't eat in any other Indian restaurants while in Orlando, so I don't know if we are just spoilt in the UK with the choice and variety of Indian restaurants, but I've certainly never paid nearly £80 for 3 of us to eat.

Perhaps the price could be overlooked if the service and atmosphere matched up to it, but sadly it didn't either, the place was empty for starters, which should have been a sign to leave! When we entered we were greeted friendly enough by a young American waitress, I asked if there was a kids menu to which I was told yes. So we decided to sit down and all three of us were handed adults menu's and she walked off. When she returned I asked about the Kids menu, she looked blankly at me, walked off again and a Indian waiter came over, I asked the same question and he explained the choice was either an Indian dish cooked very mild of just chicken nuggets (great choice!). At this point we were starving, so with my daughter being happy enough to have the nuggets we ordered our dishes.

No real significant interaction after that except for them bring out the food and asking if we wanted more drinks (I have to add that the waitress didn't know what beer was available and when I said Budweiser Light I was given a Coors Light!).

We ate the meal which was tasty enough but I almost chocked when I saw the price of the bill!

It's a shame that what must be a good chef is let down by the front of house staff and the managements prices. My advice to them would be lower your prices (like halve them!) and employ some new staff at the front of the house or train them better. You'll fill the place with customers, this will promote a better atmosphere and you'll be charging a price that the food is actually worth!

My biggest regret is that I didn't check TripAdvisor first (which I tend to do) then this very expensive meal would have been avoided!.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
“Worst experience in Orlando”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I didn't want to come here but my parents were set on it. To start off with, the place was dull and lifeless. Also, there are no options for children and the adult portions are pretty small anyway. The waiter was nice enough but wasn't great at picking recommendations. I didn't enjoy my food at all, but I generally prefer English food. Then the bill came, I didn't get the exact price, but I heard it was around $60 - $70 and I only shared my mum's meal! If you're looking for a good experience, Sizler is the place to go ( spelt with one z next to new Punjab). Shalimar is horrendously pricey and not value for money. DON'T EVER COME HERE!!!

• Visited August 2013