“Disneys Best Kept Secret” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort

You added Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort to your Saves list
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   9560 Via Encinas, Orlando, FL 32830 (Formerly Fairfield Bonnet Creek)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #94 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Berwick, Maine
“Disneys Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have been coming to this resort for the past three years in April and my family and I are planning to return again this April. I can not stop talking about this amazing resort and everything that comes with it. The rooms are beautiful and so reasonably priced that I NEVER look any where else for our stay in Disney. The grounds are beautiful and are always well maintained. I am a early riser and usually make my way down to the hot tub before my family wakes up at 6am and there was staff buzzing around checking the pools and cleaning every morning. The food is great and the entertainment staff keep you and your children busy every second with pool activites, Ice cream socials, movie nights and sooooooo much more. We will continue returning to Disney and will ALWAYS return to the Wynhdam Bonnet Creek.

Room Tip: Always ask if you can get a fire work view :).
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, it was beautful and comfortable. Lots to do, but very relaxing, felt very safe, and property was clean. Free Wi-Fi was a bonus. Did the time share presentation, we were not interested at this time and our presenter was not as pushy as some and that was greatly appreciated, will consider being a memeber in the future because of this.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Centralia, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Ok, I have thought about this for several days...whether or not to post anything at all, but I decided that I need to tell my story in hopes that it won't happen to anyone else...

I, like many, adored Bonnet Creek. We stayed there this past May and returned again for out trip in January. Both times we had the EPCOT view and it was beautiful. Sadly, this trip started out a lot rougher than the last. We arrived at BC at 12pm on Friday, January 18th, 2013, and they checked us into tower 4 by 1:15pm or so, which was sooner than we expected. We had driven through the night from IL, so we hurried to unload. We unloaded everything onto the baggage cart and then got to the room. Upon entering the room, I did my customary bed bug check on the kids' beds (it was a 2BR) and didn't see anything. Then I somehow got distracted...very easy with 4 kids...and realized later on that I had missed checking our bed. We unpacked and quickly laid everyone down for naps...I was laying on top of the bedspread and my husband was on the couch. At 5pm we woke up and showered and hurried off to EPCOT to eat. When we returned home, it was late and we all went to bed. When we got into bed it was dark in the room...for fear of waking up my son in the crib. Woke up the next morning early and started rushing around to get ready. Put my son on the bed to put on his clothes and a bug crawled out from under where I had set him. I immediately freaked and said to my husband...is that a bed bug? We pulled back the covers and they were EVERYWHERE. Big ones, little ones...it was like nothing I ever would have expected. Even worse, there were both old (dried) and new blood spots on the sheets...that is pretty scary to both of us because we wonder whose blood that is???? There was also bug feces all over the bed skirt and mattress. Had we checked, we wouldn't have missed it. Housekeeping SHOULD have caught it too (which leads me to believe they never did change the sheets in that bed from the last guest). The infestation of that bed was so bad that the bugs didn't even bother hiding because there really wasn't any place!!!

Anyway, we called the front desk and they told us just to throw our clothes in the dryer and someone would be up at some point. We waited for 30 minutes or so (trying to quarantine everyone), and then my husband called and asked for a manager ASAP. He arrived after 1 hour from the original call. He told us that we shouldn't be concerned because it was only in that one bedroom since we didn't see any anywhere else. And I mentioned to him that we had found dead ones on the kitchen floor while we were waiting and that my kids had carried blankets and other stuff between the two rooms. He claimed that wouldn't be a problem and that we could take anything that wasn't a food source for them like our electronics and that they'd take all of our clothes and wash/dry them for us. He said that everything else needed to stay in the room to be treated. They did give us some replacement diapers/wipes, some food credits for the restaurant, and a rental stroller because we couldn't take any of it. They said they'd get us a new room and we'd have our clothes once we returned, which they did. Then they told us that the place would be heat treated the next day so we'd have to wait on everything else. Well they did heat treat, but only the one bedroom...not the kitchen and not the living area. Further more, they never moved our belongings into the bedroom where they treated stuff so some stuff never got treated and sat there for 24 hours in an infested room. Upon talking to a person who has experience treating bed bugs when I arrived home, I found out that they gave us serious misinformation and did not treat the room as they should have. Given what we told them...the WHOLE condo should have been treated. Aside from our luggage, they left everything out in the main room and never treated it. So, we traveled home with belongings that were never treated...because they said since they weren't by food sources we shouldn't worry. Wrong...too bad I didn't know all this then. I've tried quarantining stuff in our garage, but now I freaked that we'll have them in our home. I did find eggs on the outside of my purse, which never came in the house, but it rode in the van all the way home. So every morning and evening we check out beds and I even wake up in the middle of the night to check my bed. It really is mentally damaging when something like this happens to you.

Oh and the manager told us we would see bites in about 2 days...we didn't see any bites and we were hopeful that we didn't have many or didn't react. Wrong again...on the way home (9 days later) we developed large welts all over. My husband's were mostly on his back and stomach. Mine were on my stomach, back, face, neck, hands and legs. They are so itchy it is unbearable. The welts turned into a bunch of tiny bites in clusters. I stopped counting at 100...and that's just on me. It has now been two weeks and I'm still itching and I have scabs everywhere. I will only wear long sleeves out, and for the 1st week I rarely went out because my face looked like I had pox. I cried yesterday because the stress of continually checking and hoping you didn't bring them home is terrible.

Anyway, I KNOW this can happen anywhere, and I still think BC is a nice place to stay. However, it is unforgiveable that we slept in a dirty bed that obviously had never had the sheets changed. Furthermore, the misinformation that they gave us isn't right either. They've dealt with this many times, I'm sure, and they should give the right information.

Learn from my mistake...check and double check everything. You CAN see bed bugs...even the little ones. Don't take anything in the room until you do. If you have to do something to remind yourself...make a check-list...which we should have since we so easily get distracted with the kids. Lastly, no need to worry about it and let it ruin your trip, but know your information about these bugs before you ever leave. Had I done a simple check, I would have saved myself a whole lot of stress and trouble.

I post this here because if you stay and BC and encounter this issue, please make sure they treat EVERYTHING so that you don't take it home. Because of this...I'm not sure we'll be taking any vacations for a LONG while...I'm way too paranoid.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Bonnet Creek is a resort like no other. With a quick drive to Disney to spend the day and relaxing and song to drift into the night, this is the perfect area to spend a family vacation. My family and I loved the hotel from the moment we stepped into it this most recent summer. The experience is life changing, one moment of peaceful relaxation can be so easily overlooked, but the Bonnet Creek kept everything perfect, and helped my family and I to find solace in each other. The five pools, with settings appropriate for every age group, allowed all of us to enjoy our own forms of relaxation, while being able to all enjoy each other’s presence the longer we stayed. The restaurants also helped to bring my family closer, the two pubs are laid back and serve in a family friendly environment as well as entertaining the kids. After a long day of relaxing and eating, we returned to our rooms, which blew us away. Since I had a family of nine, we decided to buy one of the numerous presidential suites, with a full kitchen, full-sized beds for everyone, two Jacuzzis, and three breathtaking balconies. The happiness did not stop there, for many attractions surround the resort that promotes great family togetherness and relaxation. The first is Disney World, the most magical place on Earth. Here, my family enjoyed the thrilling roller coasters for the teens, such as Space Mountain and Expedition Everest, and fun for the kids at the rides Small World and Toy Story Mania. This can be very expensive, however, so try to save money by eating back at the resort. Another great experience is that of Medieval Times, a medieval-themed show located only a few miles away that a boy of any age can enjoy. With sword fighting, lancing, and a meal where silverware is absent all in a family friendly environment, this is the ultimate night out. After our trip, my family has become more together and relaxed than ever, and I hope yours does the same.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed for three weeks and loved every minute of it! This is one of the best places to stay in the Disney area. Relaxed...always something going on within the resort, clean, not too big, connected to the hotel and you can use their facilities such as the spa, restaurant and bar. Really, once you go through the gates you don't have a big need to go back outside if you don't want to. The bus to Disney and Premium Outlets comes to the resort, so you don't have to pay the parking when going to the parks. Every morning you see people out walking around for exercise. I came here by myself and really enjoyed seeing couples and families of all ages enjoying themselves...quite the spot to have a wonderful holiday!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New Hope, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had a timeshare exchange to Bonnet Creek. What a beautiful place! Our 2 bedroom 2 bath accomodations were top of the line. You could not wish for anything nicer. The resort has many pools and fun slides and lazy rivers. Stayed on the 8th floor of building one overlooking the lake with fountains and at night, we were able to watch the fireworks at Epcot from our balcony. Since this is a resort on Disney property, there were buses taking you to any attractions at Disney World all day. The swimming pools were heated and plenty lounge chairs around to use. We also played miniature golf which was free at the resort. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Liked — spacious, upper class
  • Disliked — nothing, really
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Where to start, this place is HUGE. There are 6 buildings in this resort with an additional building being the actual Wyndham Grand hotel.

Some observations:

1. This is a timeshare, plain and simple. If you know that up front it helps temper your expectations. You only get sporadic maid service (I think 1x per week) and the actual hotel amenities are a little bit harder to come by. There are restaurants and a spa in the complex but they are a hike. On the flip side you get large rooms, a huge tub in the master bath, a full kitchen with a large kitchen table and all the basic cooking hardware. The room was very adequate to stay in as a timeshare.

2. Check in was easy for me. They gave us a room in tower 4 which was not the best. If I go again I would ask for tower 6 as it's the newest. Since I don't own a timeshare here that may have been part of the reason. Tower 6 and tower 1 are close to the bus stops, although tower 4 was about equal to either stop. You do have to go to the timeshare sales desk to get a parking pass. JUST SAY NO if you are not interested in the pitch. They are good at selling and will try to work around any arguments you give. I told them my baby had pooped. That worked, but I was holding a smelly baby so I kind of had the upper hand there. I'm not sure who won in the end...

3. The buses to the parks were adequate and on time. Note that if you are going to magic kingdom the bus does drop you off at the ticket & Transportation center and not directly at the park. You must take the monorail or the ferry to the park from there. If you plan on making it in time for park opening you must be on a bus that leaves an hour before park opening. In our case the 8am bus got us there in time for 9am opening at Magic Kingdom. Another hint, the bus picks up at tower 6 first, so it may be almost full when it comes around to the tower 1 stop. It also drops off at tower 6 first on the way back to the resort.

4. The property is very large an navigation can be confusing. The hotel staff didn't really know even where to send us one night when we were looking for dinner. The place can be a maze and the maps they gave are too basic to show how to get from A to B. I consider myself pretty smart and good at navigating but I even had trouble figuring out where to go. The paths twist and turn and sometimes dead end at a locked door so you may have to retrace your steps and pick another way.

5. The Elevators are fast. Don't worry about staying on a high floor. Now, I didn't check the other buildings but I assume this applies to all. The newer buildings (4,5,6) are about 2x as high as the first buildings (1,2,3).

6. The pools at building 6 and between buildings 2 & 3 have waterslides. The height for the waterslide at building 6 is 48 inches and was strictly enforced. The signs at the other waterslide also say 48 inches but didn't seem to be as strictly enforced. We were told by the lifeguard to take our 47 inch tall daughter to the other slide as she would be allowed. The pools at building 5 and the check in center have lazy rivers with tubes. The kids enjoyed them.

7. The spa is located inside the Wyndham Grand Hotel and is called Blue Harmony Spa. I had trouble locating the name before we went! They have a website so you can look it up.

8. There are bars at building 4, building 6, and the Wyndham Grand hotel. You can order limited food at the building 4 bar (called Escudos Bar) and there is a full menu at the bar/restaurant at the Wyndham Hotel (called Back Bay). There is also a fancy seafood grill at the hotel called Deep Blu and a coffee shop that serves Starbucks. Also, there is a pizza place by the pool between buildings 2 and 3

9. Our hallway smelled like cigarette smoke during our stay. We figured this was because the exit stair is open to the outside and the little balcony this creates seems to smokers like a good place to smoke.

10. There were lots of activities going on. If you can take a break from Disney during the day you could have a great time staying at the hotel and doing a fraction of the things they have for the guests.

11. There are lots of nice large grills outside by the lake. You can grab a huge steak and grill to perfection with a beer in one hand and your spatula in the other. I saw a worker cleaning the grills until shiny one morning and they looked very fancy and clean.

11. Target is about 7 miles by car on US 192 at US 429. It is a SuperTarget so they have groceries, beer, wine, and everything else you could need (bottled water?) Everything is cheaper at Target. Everything. They even have cheaper Disney souvenirs you can trick your kids with.

Overall we had a great stay at the Bonnet Creek Resort. I was hesitant after reading some of the reviews here but we found a huge, clean, well featured resort. I hope you find some of these tips helpful!

Room Tip: Elevators are fast so don't be afraid of a room high up. You may see some fireworks form one of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort? Share your experiences!