“Nice but had better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dakshin Indian Cuisine

Dakshin Indian Cuisine
12541 State Road 535, Orlando, FL 32836 (Lake Buena Vista)
+1 407-827-9080
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dakshin Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #766 of 3,168 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Indian, Vegan, Vegetarian, Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Description: First of its kind in Orlando, India's innovative cuisine, the very name 'Dakshin' evokes opulence in taste and decor. Dakshin introduces you to a cuisine from the southern part of India stretching from the rugged coastlines of Tamil Nadu and Kerala to the sun-drenched beaches of Goa and Mumbai on India's western coast. As spectacular and surprising as the country sides are, so are the cuisines of its many communities, which were confined by and large to family kitchens, until Dakshin, the restaurant, captured and showcased them. Created from a wealth of local spices, red chillies, coconut, pepper and spices of the coast, the cuisines of the Tamilians of Tamil Nadu, the Malayalees of Kerala, the Bunts of Mangalore, the Portuguese of Goa and the East Indians of Mumbai, are a delight to the taste buds.
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
“Nice but had better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I ate here one night after a long hard day, and despite it being 7pm, the place was empty. Normally you'd expect it to be busy so this was a slightly worrying sign for me.

We were given our drinks (although this was the first place I was charged $7 for a bottle of bud, not draft) and we were offered no aperitifs either.

Once the food arrived, I soon realised that the food was just above average but nothing to sign and dance about. Also, despite asking for mild, it was at least medium spice so do remember this if you go.

Overall, i found the price to be okay although a little on the high side.

Visited July 2013

Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Me and my wife from PA were in Orlando to attend a medical conference. This restaurant is very different from any other run of the mill Indian one . Very tastefully done interiors with exotic Indian carvings sorta sets the flavor. The menu choice is very authentically south Indian and most items taste exactly as they do back in India. The 'husband wife' owner team make very good hosts too. Strongly recommend for people who know what real food is.....

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Anchorage, Alaska
“A joy to the palate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Delicious!! There were five of us in our party and we all got something different and shared. Everything was wonderful. Tasty and spicy. The service was great.

Dallas, Texas
“Authentic South Indian cuisine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The decor , the plates and the ambiance gives a south Indian feel to the place.The menu has a good mix of dishes from the southern states.
We had ordered the Alleppey fish curry and a chicken Manglorian curry. The food was very good.My husband liked the taste of the food.The service was also good.

However there weren't many people dining that night, maybe the minimum food laws must be putting off people.Also the GPS didn't correctly take us to this place .This is near Moes grill.

would recommend this place for taste .

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I gotta say, I'm amazed at the extreme scales of the reviews for this place. I'll start by saying that I'm a regular participant in Indian cuisine back in the UK . I went to dakshin for lunch and the place was about half full. I was met by the husband and wife team who quickly seated me and brought my drinks over. I wasn't sure what to have, but listened to the suggestions offered. I opted for a madras hot chicken dish which wasn't on the menu, but they were quite happy to alter the spiciness of any dish to suit.
My dish arrived. It was a hot chicken dish in indian gravy made with curry leaves and fresh spices, and a nice hot chilli kick. It came with lentil sambal, coconut chutney and dosa. It tasted very light, and very fresh and had that nice spicy chilli kick that I'd been missing for the past 2 weeks whilst away from the UK. I have traveled to Florida for 21years now, and I don't know how I missed this place (been here for 10years apparently). I won't miss it again, now I've found it. Sure. It ain't cheap...but then I've found most Indian restaurants over here aren't cheap, unless you opt for the buffet...which does not give the same individuality and freshness that I got today.
I left the restaurant feeling I could eat it again, but knowing I'd had enough. I guess it shows how different people really do have different tastes. The food here was definitely to my taste and I'll definitely be back.